INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Shore -- Tizapán vs Mismaloya

+16
raqueteer
ferret
hound dog
ChickenLittle
hockables
bobnliz
kipissippi
Khof
albertrv
CheenaGringo
gringal
Chapalagringa
Hensley
lucky
CanuckBob
Lehrer
20 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

South Shore -- Tizapán vs Mismaloya - Page 2 Empty Re: South Shore -- Tizapán vs Mismaloya

Post by albertrv Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:46 pm

So what is this device to hook up to the internet via satellite and of course what did they quote you for monthly costs and the amount of downloadable data. I'm on hughesnet and always looking for something better. My biggest problem is the amount of data I can download per month. I would switch to the new 3G (EV-DO) signal from IUSACELL that is now in my area and expanding all along the southside but they only give me 10GB per month. I need at least double that or better yet unlimited.

albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.lagunachapala.com

Back to top Go down

South Shore -- Tizapán vs Mismaloya - Page 2 Empty Re: South Shore -- Tizapán vs Mismaloya

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:56 pm

You made a great find! Hope you don't have to move again. I'm done moving. :)
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks to everyone for your encouraging comments.

@ albertrv - I'm not sure of the technology, and I didn't ask any questions about broadband limits (which I first heard about when I investigated with Satellite Systems of Ajijic. Michael Merryman quoted me prices for equipment somewhere over $1,000 USD and about $100 USD monthly. My heart skipped a beat or two. No way!) All I can say is, if you're interested you should check with Telcel and let them explain it to you. We paid $1200 MXN for the USB and $500 MXN for the 1st month (and each month following). Beats the hell out of what the others were asking, even if there are limitations.

mariachi
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:58 pm

Sounds like a 3G cell stick with a monthly data plan. Price seems about right for that. Just surfing the web and hanging on these forums eats very little data. Just avoid streaming any video (IE YouTube, Netflix, etc.) and/or downloading movies, music etc. That's where you eat up data fast and will get a very large monthly bill if you go over. You should inquire ASAP about how much data (in MB's) you are allowed every month and where you can check your usage level throughout the month so you don't get any nasty surprises.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:22 pm

There is no 3G Telcel service on the south side at least in the area we are talking about. Tizipan might but I have no way of knowing as I use IUSACEL. My bets would be on IUSACELL as providing a broadband signal before anyone. The now have EV-DO from just out of Joco all the way to just short of Tuxcueca. I've heard they want to cover all of Mex15 with high speed. They are also offering fast 4G in Gdl and I'm hoping they are installing that equipment at the same time. There is a new tower in Joco not commissioned yet and apparently a new one in Ajijic in the off state for now. They advertise their 4G at 21 Mbs. My problem is needing more than their 10GB/month plan. The northern part of Chapala now has EVDO. It starts to get usable around Soriana and goes all the way to Gdl.
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:22 am

Either way he needs to find out what his download limit is and a way to monitor it.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:28 am

Any of the USB modems I've seen have a way to monitor that built into the connect software so that shouldn't be a problem. What I'm hoping is that there some sort of a guaranty that it will work in Mismaloya at acceptable speeds.
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:39 am

TVRey runs it cable service from Sahuayo right past Mismaloya on its way to Joco. They won't branch off for less than 50 people, trust me I've asked more than once. Actual they just quoted me $14,000.00 USD for one connection.

albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:25 pm

albertrv wrote:There is no 3G Telcel service on the south side at least in the area we are talking about. Tizipan might but I have no way of knowing as I use IUSACEL. My bets would be on IUSACELL as providing a broadband signal before anyone. The now have EV-DO from just out of Joco all the way to just short of Tuxcueca. I've heard they want to cover all of Mex15 with high speed. They are also offering fast 4G in Gdl and I'm hoping they are installing that equipment at the same time. There is a new tower in Joco not commissioned yet and apparently a new one in Ajijic in the off state for now. They advertise their 4G at 21 Mbs. My problem is needing more than their 10GB/month plan. The northern part of Chapala now has EVDO. It starts to get usable around Soriana and goes all the way to Gdl.

I don't know anything except what I'm learning "on-the-fly"!

The Telcel lady told me that reception is "all of Mexico" -- that would include Mismaloya and the south side of the lake.

It doesn't matter to me about the bandwidth, because I'm adaptable. I don't download music or movies; and only on occasion do I stream a movie at night. So I think this is my best option. I will, however, keep everyone informed -- as I learn.

Thanks to all for your input.

Very Happy
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:21 pm

I was in Tizapan the other day and spent some time testing what I could in the way of cell signals around Mismaloya. What I did was for a search of aviable carriers and in the area came up with Movistar and Telcel with GSM signals. The phone showed it up as 2G only. Nothing 3G from them. If you have a Telcel phone what is the signal strength inside your new house in the area you are wanting to set up the computer. It is worth it to make sure the modem then are supping you has an external antenna port so you could run an antenna outside and up to the roof of the new house. If your in a shadow and do not see a signal then you are going to have a problem.

Also just so everyone knows IUSACELL has a reasonable EV-DO (3G) signal in mismaloya although it does go up and down and an external antenna would probably be worth the cost. the signal is, I'm sure coming from Chapala across the lake.

I certainly would not pick up your new modem without some sort of return policy in effect if your not happy.
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:43 pm

That house is stunning, Lehrer. You folks scored!

I am wondering when they are "planning on covering hwy 15" with wifi? And what will that mean, exactly? Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:48 pm

I think it wuz Willie Brandt the smok`n baby that said the scorpions were big enough ta run away with yer dog

just say`n is all
........................................................................................

P.S. Anyone know what ever happened to Willie?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Our friend Willie Brandt aka Carlos Nieto passed away a few weeks ago in Mirasol.

http://lakechapalainfo.forumotion.net/t1876-rip-chuck-nieto

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:35 pm

very sad...
we PM`d now & then... although I never met him personally... I regarded him as something of a kindred spirit...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:02 pm

hockables wrote:I think it wuz Willie Brandt the smok`n baby that said the scorpions were big enough ta run away with yer dog

just say`n is all.

Maria & I have seen only two scorpions in the house, neither of which was anything exceptional.

However, yesterday morning as I was petting my beloved cat (Schlingel) I noticed something that caught my attention. His fur was matted on one side, and I felt something that just didn't seem right. I spread his fur to look more closely: There was a sore about the size of a silver dollar (remember those?) and it appeared that fluid had oozed out onto his fur and caked. As I continued to examine him, I noticed that his skin pulled apart and left the underlying muscle exposed (without bleeding).

Well, Folks -- can you say "100-mile round trip to the Ladrone Animal Clinic in Riberas del Pilar"??? They kept Schlingel over-night, and when we picked him up this afternoon we saw that about half his fur on the right side had been shaved, he had a shunt inserted for drainage, and multiple stitches to sew him back together. The vet said that the wound was caused by either a scorpion or a spider. Follow-up on Monday. (Donations gratefully accepted.)

We're in El Parque for tonight & tomorrow night, but we will drive back to Mismaloya tomorrow (living-room furniture to be delivered from Chapala) and fumigate the place while we and the pets are away from the house.

Life is just full of (sometimes unpleasant) surprises!

Shocked
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:00 pm

A week can bring many more surprises.

Schlingel is much improved. I asked Dr. Antonio if the bite could have been fatal. He replied: "Oh, no! Because you folks take such good care of your pets."

I said, "No, I mean -- if it hadn't been tended, could the cat have died?"

He said, "Oh, if the cat had been in the wild and on its own -- yes, it probably would have died from the infection."

Now, to the subject of Internet service in Mismaloya: It is for all practical purposes non-existent!! I have been reduced to using dial-up service. The USB modems simply do NOT work in Mismaloya, because they depend upon cellular towers and the signal strength is minimal at best and non-existent for the most part.

Since Internet is a very important segment of my life-style, it appears that I will be forced to move back to Tizapán!!! (I found a 2-BR/2Bath house [never before occupied] for $2,500 MXN. Needs a few "adjustments" to meet our standards, but for that price....)

flag waver
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:15 pm

You might want to consider IUSACELL with an external antenna. On the carr. in the middle of town I was able to receive 4 out of 5 bars for signal strength of 3G. As I feel the signal is coming from Chapala across the lake if you have line of sight to the lake you should be ok. My phone will act as a modem for my laptop I wouldn't mind doing a bit of testing at your house. Providing you haven't moved back already.
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:21 pm

I know there are satellite Internet services available in Canada for the really remote areas which can be accessed via a satellite dish. Usually the downloads are via satellite and the smaller uploads are via dial-up. Not sure if this is available in Mexico but it may be worth checking out.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:29 pm

I am presently using Hughesnet Satellite Internet. It is a 2way system and for me is pretty much my the only choice. The speeds are related to how much one wants to spend a month. Plans start at 59/m. and get you about 750 kbs down and 40 kbs up. The up is not fast enough or of good enough quality to use any voip service, such as Skype. At that price you get 200 mb a day download capacity with a free time between 1am and 6am local time. I download movies etc at that time. To jump to an 80/mo plan gets you 400 Mbs down per day and speeds of just over 1Mbs with uploads a bit faster than the other plan. Still to dirty to use for Skype. My biggest problem is the daily allowances and if i could i would switch to IUSACELL as it is much faster, especially in the upload area which is important. The only problem is being restricted to 10GB per month. If I could get an unlimited plan, and i will one day i bet, i would switch in a minute.
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Hughesnet equipment in Mexico can be pricey. A complete system on eBay can be had for under $500. You would pretty much need someone bringing it down as shipping isn't cheap but more than that its not an allowed item in Mexico as it transmits. Customs at the border thinks its a TV dish and doesn't worry about it. As it is an American system you would need a US address and credit card. What I did, and this is pretty much the only way to do it, is to purchase the system in the US and have that dealer set it up before it being shipped. Without doing that you will never get past Hughesnet to actually turn it on in down here. There is a Mexican system down here but I don't know who sells it.
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:57 pm

I googled "Mexican satellite Internet providers" and there appears to be quite a few. It looks like some of them are using the Hughsnet equipment.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:13 pm

I would suspect that one way or the other they are using Hughes. I think they have the satellite market pretty much sewn up. The only advantage to them is they are legal in Mexico and it makes the customer service easy. Which hughes in the states you always have to tell them your stateside and it makes troubleshooting very hard. They love to send out service men to fix the system. Hughes is in the process of being taken over by Dish Network.
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:13 pm

Well, the Internet service question is pretty much a moot point now. I shook hands (with a Mexican) for renting the house in Tizapán, and my word is my bond. We'll start moving our belongings (again) -- and I'll sign up with TelMex Prodigy Infinitum, which will solve my immediate problem. Fortunately, Maria & I haven't unpacked the majority of the boxes we brought.

That is the major reason for abandoning this beautiful house that we found, but another factor is this: One of the dogs belonging to the owner was found dead on the empty lot next-door, quite mutilated. It makes me wonder just how safe Mismaloya is. I guess there are bad folks everywhere, but I will try to avoid them.

Basta
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:32 am

I thought some of you folks would like to see pictures of the new house in Tizapán:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2474120583020.2133653.1552590909&type=1&l=8326c13372

Very Happy
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChickenLittle Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:14 am

Looks great. Thanks for sharing. Hope you will be happy. Keep us updated on your adventures.
ChickenLittle
ChickenLittle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:40 am

Lovely home you have there, "teach". Be happy!
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next