INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TelMex Upgrade!!

5 posters

Go down

TelMex Upgrade!! Empty TelMex Upgrade!!

Post by RCAF Retired Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:45 pm

Just received a call from an English speaking Telmex representative. She told me that because of upgrades in the area they could now offer me speeds up to 50mb. I asked her if this was via fiber and she said no that it was an upgrade to the existing system and that it would require a new modem. She offered packages of 10mb, 20mb, 30mb and 50mb. She rattled off the various prices and it sounded like they were the same as can be found on the Telmex website. The new modem is being installed tomorrow afternoon so I'll soon know if this is an actual "upgrade".

I don't know what area is covered by this upgrade but I am in San Antonio on Calle San Jose and have been getting a solid 4.6mb every day, all day for the past couple of years, it used to be closer to 10mb before that.

I was in the iLox office today to see if they were taking new customers yet and what they needed for paper work. Yes, they are accepting new customers and you will need a copy and original of your id and a copy and original of proof of address. They guessed that it would be two months or more before they could do an install at my place in San Antonio.

Looks like iLox scared Telmex enough to finally get them off their butts!!

RCAF Retired

Back to top Go down

TelMex Upgrade!! Empty Re: TelMex Upgrade!!

Post by ferret Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:53 pm

Please get back to us with your new speeds. It will be most interesting and I hope it will be what most of us iLox prepaids were hoping for... some action on the part of Telmex that we weren't stupid enough to put up with their B.S. forever.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you and others.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Girl Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:33 pm

Read an article in my hometown paper ( Heilbronn, Germany) just today, the city is about to go to 1000 megabits!!!! The cost is 99 Euros per month, which most people will gladly pay.
And we here in Tizapan were elated to finally get between 16 and 20 mb on a steady basis from both Telmex and Megacable, Megacable being the more dependable one of the two.

Lucky Girl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RCAF Retired Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:01 am

Update:

My Telmex upgraded was completed on Friday afternoon.  When the technician arrived (on time) I asked him what this “new technology” was and he told me the name in Spanish which I didn’t understand but I found out later at the Telmex office that it is VDSL ( very-high-bit-rate DSL).  The upgrade took about 40 minutes to complete, mainly because he had trouble activating the VOIP jack on my modem.  He eventually replaced the modem, activated the VOIP connection and we were done.  I now have 10mb download and 2.2mb upload speeds.  After the tech left I immediately went to the Telmex office and upgraded my plan to the 30mb option.  Because of the weekend I won’t be seeing those speeds until Monday or Tuesday.

So that all worked out pretty good for me but here is where it gets a bit weird.  While at the Telmex office I asked the customer service guy how other people could get this upgrade and was told the upgrade was limited to 48 subscribers!  He said Telmex now has fibre running along the carretera but that they only had one “box” to connect subscribers to the fibre and the “box” only has 48 connections.  This box is installed in San Antonio at the north end of Calle San Jose.  They started calling people last week to offer the upgrade and once they had enough people signed up they brought in crews from Guadalajara to do the installs.

The VDSL is capable of speeds of 55mb down and 3mb up.  For now Telmex is limiting the speed to 30mb which is $499 a month.  I was told that 50mb would eventually be available and that “soon” 200mb would be available.

Thank you Tom Kessler... Thank you ILOX!

RCAF Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:11 am

Well let's see if you actually get the 30MBPS as promised. I already get 10MBPS. Please do report back.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:26 am

And I already get 20 mbps down and 4.5 mbps up in Riberas.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:36 am

VDSL has been widely available lakeside for three or four years now. It does not require hardware upgrades; that is the beauty of the technology.

All those people who got a bump from 5 to 10 or better in the last couple of years? A direct result of VDSL. I get 40 down in Riberas, so...

I don't know what kind of line they are feeding people this time. And note: all connections are done in multiples of 256. 48 isn't even a proper divisional number for a new box.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RCAF Retired Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:20 pm

I hadn’t heard of VDSL in the area before Friday.  When I lived on Ocampo in Ajijic I had many conversations with Telmex and the best they could ever give me was about 3mb.  I have friends in different parts of San Antonio and none of them are getting much over 5mb.  So while some communities may already have VDSL there are many of us that don’t.  This may be the first time it has been offered in San Antonio and potentially it is a big deal for us.  Hopefully it is the beginning of better service in the area.

So as I understand it, my connection is now about 100 meters of copper from my house to the carretera where I am connected to the Telmex fiber.  A big improvement to the all copper route I had previously.

Regarding the 48 connections... no idea if that is a correct number of connections in the box or not but we were speaking Spanish and thinking back I suppose he could have said 48 connections remaining... which would imply that there had been a larger number of connections to begin with.... lost in translation.  But he was quite clear that there were only 48 subscribers being offered the upgrade at this time.

I'll comment on the 30mb speed when (if?) I get it.

RCAF Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down