INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center

+7
Milena
ferret
CanuckBob
johninajijic
CheenaGringo
El Bajio
Chapalagringa
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 Empty Re: Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Also, tile is more dense than brick so it is not necessary to tear out tile. I found out there's a lot more of my house built this way, including bath vanities and island.

CanuckBob, you need to learn how to do this in your upcoming spare time!

end of day 4
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6150522303_6865022411_b

end of day 5
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6151073530_da7f996156_b

end of day 6
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6154709476_fa4888ddff_b

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6170411741_34e8abee73_b

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6170943044_8c37e48e23_b

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6170941474_28a5b70416_b

end of day 10
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6173505109_2075ebfa34_b

end of day 10
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6173512757_0505df7500_b

end of day 10
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6174029156_1eba2a9ea1_b

end of day 11
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6178532477_e6a557db32_b

end of day 12 mantle taking shape
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6178541095_ae8e5f112c_b

end of day 12
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6179059790_f75f377a4f_b

end of day 12
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6179062800_55e121fd3f_b

Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 Empty Re: Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center

Post by Parker Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:52 am

Chapalagringa wrote:Well, you need to think about it this way. Why would you bother to tear out tile when the wall isn't a weight bearing wall? It's attached to two other weight bearing walls. Like I wrote early on, you'd have to see it.

2ndly, would you tear out tile to install a freestanding portable gas fireplace? Of course not. Portable only needs to be secured to the wall. Wood fireplaces and stoves are installed over plywood in the states, does that meet your standards? We've outdone ourselves. Think it's funny, fine. Don't have your approval, not important to me. Maybe you'll learn something.

Your absolutely right, with a gas fire place the heat issue is minor if you have a heat barrier such as a wall of brick. The most important issue is small ventilation for the gasses. It looks wonderful, good on you. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:28 pm

Shaping up but still some rough spots.

No, my husband cannot be lent out for your honey do list but I'm sure Solovino, who has many years experience, would love to do it for you. Send him a pm :P

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center - Page 2 6196688140_4bc95d6e9d_b
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 pm

Oh shucks CG - you read my mind about the loan of your husband!
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:55 pm

simpsca wrote:Oh shucks CG - you read my mind about the loan of your husband!

Someone called and asked today!!! I said, "NO WAY!!!" lol Believe me, he is busy, busy!!! This is something he's doing in his "spare" time. Which isn't much. He's also our gardener, which he does to unwind. The vines are closing in on us! They grow so stickin fast!

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:24 pm

I would love to learn how to do this sort of brick/cement work. I have done all my own home renovations including plumbing, electrical, tiles, hardwood, etc. but NOB the main structures involves wood and gyproc. I have no experience with brick. How did hubby learn?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:40 pm

He's like you. Knows how to build a NOB house w/wood but cement is a whole new ballpark!

Learn? He's never done this before & it's literally a first time project :) I told him I didn't want a Lucy bbq as the focal point in our great room!! Which I was sweating while the brick was going up!!!! Got the giggles one day and he told me to go away, lol

Actually, he was at the site frequently watching the pee on's and foreman work & learned the mix formulas. Towards the end of our build, he & our sons became the pee on's. He worked together w/the foreman doing the front wall, laying flagstone, retaining walls etc. You can come over and pick his brain about it :) NOB men like to get their hands dirty & do it themselves whereas SOB men, or should I say owners of construction companies, may have never even touched the construction they build. Different mentality.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:12 am

Not only is the term a bit degrading but spelling it "pee on's" somehow goes into uncharted territory!
PEON: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peon

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:36 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Not only is the term a bit degrading but spelling it "pee on's" somehow goes into uncharted territory!
PEON: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peon

Thank you, you're correct. *blush* It's horrible! and that sounds like (peh, oh, n) with a deep 'oh' in Spanish...when first told the word I was not happy about it and would always treat them like anyone else. They were out there working, getting burned by cement, digging and carrying rocks, doing back breaking work. They deserve more respect than that. They're also treated that they are disposable. Our Mexican friends are always shocked at my husband's work ethic and willingness to get in there and do something.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:46 am

Chapalagringa wrote: Thank you, you're correct. *blush* It's horrible! and that sounds like (peh, oh, n) with a deep 'oh' in Spanish...when first told the word I was not happy about it and would always treat them like anyone else. They were out there working, getting burned by cement, digging and carrying rocks, doing back breaking work. They deserve more respect than that. They're also treated that they are disposable. Our Mexican friends are always shocked at my husband's work ethic and willingness to get in there and do something.

First, forget your English pronunciation. It isn't "pee" on. It is more like "pay" on. It is properly spelled peĂłn with the accent on the second half, not like you are pronouncing it.

Second, it is derogatory in the minds of gringos.

Third, peón is a laborer. Hod carriers/mason's helpers also are called "chalanes". When they become more skilled and can lay brick and apply stucco they are then called "albañil de media cuchara" and normally recieve more pay.

Normally chalanes are not mistreated nor disrespected if they work hard like everyone else. When they are lazy or goof off then they will catch a lot of shit. No different than NOB.

You should refrain from making such ignorant generalizations based on your very limited exposure to construction here.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:03 am

Solovino wrote:
Chapalagringa wrote: Thank you, you're correct. *blush* It's horrible! and that sounds like (peh, oh, n) with a deep 'oh' in Spanish...when first told the word I was not happy about it and would always treat them like anyone else. They were out there working, getting burned by cement, digging and carrying rocks, doing back breaking work. They deserve more respect than that. They're also treated that they are disposable. Our Mexican friends are always shocked at my husband's work ethic and willingness to get in there and do something.

First, forget your English pronunciation. It isn't "pee" on. It is more like "pay" on. It is properly spelled peĂłn with the accent on the second half, not like you are pronouncing it.

Second, it is derogatory in the minds of gringos.

Third, peón is a laborer. Hod carriers/mason's helpers also are called "chalanes". When they become more skilled and can lay brick and apply stucco they are then called "albañil de media chuchara" and normally recieve more pay.

Normally chalanes are not mistreated nor disrespected if they work hard like everyone else. When they are lazy or goof off then they will catch a lot of shit. No different than NOB.

You should refrain from making such ignorant generalizations based on your very limited exposure to construction here.

Ahh, but see now, you're participating and reminding me of what i forgot! Yes, better way of explaining the pronunciation. Not ignorant generalizations but my observations which are accurate.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:11 am

Chapalagringa wrote:
Not ignorant generalizations but my observations which are accurate.

What part of "limited" don't you understand? Be truthful, how many hours/days have you spent on construction sites here outside of your own home?

You need to get a clue.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:15 am

Solovino wrote:
Chapalagringa wrote:
Not ignorant generalizations but my observations which are accurate.

What part of "limited" don't you understand? Be truthful, how many hours/days have you spent on construction sites here outside of your own home?

You need to get a clue.

You need to get a clue. It doesn't take a genius to watch or listen to what they're doing. It's not that hard.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:16 am

Don't you have some cement to mix somewhere?
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:18 am

Chapalagringa wrote:Don't you have some cement to mix somewhere?

That's what chalanes are for, Einstein.

Can't answer the question. I figured as much.

Shouldn't you be searching for some lost brain cells?

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:20 am

Correction...maybe it does take a genius and that's why I married one!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:20 am

Chapalagringa wrote:Correction...maybe it does take a genius and that's why I married one!

Opposites attract.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 am

or should I say owners of construction companies, may have never even touched the construction they build.

Solovino wrote:
Chapalagringa wrote:Don't you have some cement to mix somewhere?

That's what chalanes are for, Einstein.

Thank you for proving my observation correctly. You're not the only one who stops by once or maybe twice a day for 10 min to see how things are going.

Opposites attact
of course they do. I'm no genius but I was smart enough to marry one Beer mariachi

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:33 am

Chapalagringa wrote:
Thank you for proving my observation correctly. You're not the only one who stops by once or maybe twice a day for 10 min to see how things are going.

Your observation correct? Are you really that damn dense? That happens to be their job. Get it? They get paid to mix concrete. Get it? I suppose you are going to tell us they get whipped while they mix and sworn at constantly?

Again, how many work sites have you spent any amount of time on to be able to make objective observations? Answer this time instead of trying to bullshit your way out of it.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:46 am

Your observation correct? Are you really that damn dense? That happens to be their job. Get it? They get paid to mix concrete. Get it? I suppose you are going to tell us they get whipped while they mix and sworn at constantly?
You need a second cup of coffee, you're not getting it. I'm talking about YOU! You don't get your hands dirty. You, the construction company owner, stops by for 5-10 min once or twice a day to see how things are going. I never said a peon was whipped. I said they're dispensable if they get hurt.

Again, how many work sites have you spent any amount of time on to be able to make objective observations? Answer this time.
Mexico is a forever worksite in progress with plenty of started and unfinished projects. Have you not lived here for very long to have noticed???? Giving observations is not a full time job. One only needs to be observant of what they see and take in after years being here. I've seen or walked on plenty of works in progress and there is much more to come.

There's some people on this board that would like some work done. One in particular would like a chiminea in their house. Would you be interested in giving them a quote and having one of your workers do the job or is lakeside too far away? Or maybe you're retired now and know someone trustworthy to recommend looking for work? Or maybe you'd rather continue to chat online and try to harass the little people who don't know any better?
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:
I'm talking about YOU! You don't get your hands dirty. You, the construction company owner, stops by for 5-10 min once or twice a day to see how things are going. I never said a peon was whipped. I said they're dispensable if they get hurt.

Your posts just keep getting dumber and dumber. Tell me exactly how you know anything at all about my work habits? Should be good for a chuckle.

As far as the boss getting their hands dirty, tell me exactly what your point is? Are we supposed to mix a batch of mortar and while the chalan figures unit costs on a bid? Can the chalan go over the specs with the owner and their architect and then translate that into a quality built structure? Of course he can't. Does he know enough to tell the architect that his idea is structurally unsound? If he could he'd be the goddamn boss, you moron! The chalan is kicking back having a cold beer when I am still working. Is he stressing out when shit hits the fan? Is he fighting with suppliers because of screwed up deliveries? How many Sundays does he spend getting work schedules set up and lists made of things that need to be done on Monday? Shit, half the time they don't even show up on Monday or if they do they are too hungover to work.

And there is nothing keeping them from actually learning the trade and becoming a maestro. If they aren't satisfied being a laborer then they need to pay attention, ask questions, show some motivation and move up the ladder. That's how the maestros did it.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:32 pm

Tell me exactly how you know anything at all about my work habits?
you don't want me to answer that, I've said enough.

And there is nothing keeping them from actually learning the trade and becoming a maestro. If they aren't satisfied being a laborer then they need to pay attention, ask questions, show some motivation and move up the ladder. That's how the maestros did it.
and the builder? how does he move up the ladder? (i'm teasing you but go ahead an answer if you want)

Culturally, I found it odd that the builder never experience first hand, working up the ladder. Had never even mixed cement ever! Culturally, that surprised me. NOB mentality. Now I've learned how things are done here and accept it.

half the time they don't even show up on Monday or if they do they are too hungover to work.
I KNOW!! lol or the day after a holiday. Fortunately, we didn't have much trouble with that.

I am a bit of an advocate for the little guy who is really doing the physically hard work. De acuerdo that he should better himself, if able, and advance. Just seems odd that the guy at the top doesn't have to do this ever because he started out with the means, i guess. Does go back to what makes one feel fulfilled. Coming from one that gets satisfaction by getting in there and doing it myself & not wanting to depend on others to get it done.

To make myself clear. NO, i do not expect you to be mixing cement but to have had the experience is all I'm saying. Knowing first hand each aspect of the build. Then again, if you can't do a nice finishing job, solder well, or maybe not physically able, better stay in the office and do the paperwork & have a nice disposition!!!! Very Happy

Now boss, it's Friday and last day of month...is the payroll ready?

Last edited by Chapalagringa on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:47 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : adding disposition in addition to paperwork adding physically able)
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:21 pm

Gringal!!! I thought what you wrote was much more eloquently written than what I wrote...too bad you deleted it! I'd copied and was going to comment on it but change me mind! argh!!! ;)
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:18 pm

cheers
Chapalagringa wrote:Gringal!!! I thought what you wrote was much more eloquently written than what I wrote...too bad you deleted it! I'd copied and was going to comment on it but change me mind! argh!!! ;)

Well thanks.........but I didn't want to add any kindling to the pre-existing combat, and you never know.

Basically, what I said is that it's no picnic being a boss with the 24/7/365 worries that come with the territory (been there) so my empathy is with anyone......boss or worker......who's trying to make an honest living. The rats are the ones who snookered everyone in the last decades with smoke and mirrors and made themselves fortunes in the process.

BTW: congrats on that fine looking fireplace setup! Now what you need is one of those great art deco era folding brass peacock screens, but you probably don't need it with gas......and you can't have mine!. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:21 pm

Chapalagringa wrote: you don't want me to answer that, I've said enough.
C'mon, answer.

and the builder? how does he move up the ladder?.....

Culturally, I found it odd that the builder never experience first hand, working up the ladder. Had never even mixed cement ever! Culturally, that surprised me. NOB mentality. Now I've learned how things are done here and accept it.

I know a bunch of contractors here that started out as laborers and worked their way up. This isn't some damn NOB vs SOB cultural difference like you make it out to be. I know builders in the US that don't which end of a hammer to use. So what? More power to them.

Now see, your powers of observation failed you again. Here is another example of you not knowing what's what here. For construction workers, pay day is Saturday.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:18 pm

and the builder? how does he move up the ladder?.....

I know a bunch of contractors here that started out as laborers and worked their way up.

Glad to hear this!!! Thanks for sharing!

Now see, your powers of observation failed you again. Here is another example of you not knowing what's what here. For construction workers, pay day is Saturday

Boss, how are you paying tomorrow if it's not been prepared today??? They only work 1/2 day!!!!!

Btw, you're a real darling Basta

@gringal, thank you!!! I've thought about a screen to keep little hands safe. Not sure where to look for one.

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next