INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Indian restaurant at Lakeside?

+9
brigitte
CHILLIN
ComputerGuy
CanuckBob
gringal
Carry Bean
slainte39
Bubba2shoes
JayBear
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

New Indian restaurant at Lakeside? - Page 3 Empty Re: New Indian restaurant at Lakeside?

Post by ferret Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:41 pm

I am obviously not a connoisseur because I just like what I like. Been buying the no name brand of both curry and chili from Loblaws stores forever. Each package contains between 125 grams and 150 grams. Lasts me about two years and is still flavourful and aromatic right to the end. I seal after using then put it in another sealed ziplock and store in the dark in a drawer. All my spices are kept in a drawer in the dark.

The curry powder contains coriander, turmeric, celery seed, fenugreek, black pepper, cumin, ginger, nutmeg, chili powder, bay leaves, onion powder and cloves.
The chili powder contains chili pepper, cumin, coriander, salt, oregano, dehydrated garlic and cloves.
Works for me.
Two Canadian bucks a package.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New Indian restaurant at Lakeside? - Page 3 Empty Re: New Indian restaurant at Lakeside?

Post by Trailrunner Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:54 pm

CHILLIN wrote:No, I have been trying to import seeds for years. They have to be fresh.
There was a grower who had a bush in Puerto Vallarta, but he seems to have fallen off the grid, and you need a serious 4x4 to get to his farm.

Maybe Pam has a plant? Maybe Raj has some dried
leaves. I'll ask him next week.

I want to make an Indian cauliflower rice fry and curry leaves are a necessary spice. I'll let you know if I find any.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:22 pm

Adriana may have curry leaves on Thursday.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:14 pm

who is Adriana?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:21 pm

El Granero.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:11 pm

ah Ok Thanks

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:33 pm

Pam has hundreds of seeds, but not curry leaf.
I will roll the dice, see if I get lucky with fresh seeds this time. The best way is to order from the U.K., shipped by International Royal Mail. They seem to roll through customs in CDMX very easily. Then to iShop mail address. In this case, I can' t find a supplier in the U.K. - but then again this a tropical plant, popular in South India cuisine.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:59 pm

Hah, thanks for asking. Correction, she likely has millions of seeds.😏

Why go through all of that? Adriana is able to get them at abastos. She said she does not have them now but has had them in the past and will look for them again this week. I'll post if there is success.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:58 am

Do you mean the fresh leaves, dried leaves or the seeds? It is a very pretty tree. I should probably try the Frenchman in PV. He kept insisting that you cannot ship live trees within Mexico. Well, I know that is not true, DHL shipped me 3 live trees from Veracruz.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:10 am

I don't really know. I think just the leaves since that is what is called for in some Indian receipes I've wanted to make. It is the only Indian spice I haven't been able to find here. I'll let you know Thursday.

Some time ago in CA, I had "curry" plants. I was told they were not culinary even though they had a very distinct curry smell. I'll be interested to see if it's the same leaf.

You can see the leaves here, this is the dish I'm hoping to make:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KYVIWfyYWH4
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:38 am

Looks delish. No the curry plant is not edible, in fact I believe it makes you sick if you eat it.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:56 am

No curry leaves for us. She couldn't find any.😢 So now what? Amazon?

Yes, I think that other curry plant is toxic too.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:53 am

I have emailed Luc Vleeracker in P.V. - no reply yet.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:39 am

Luc has written that he has slowed down on the business side. He has curry leaf tree and will check for seeds, although I think it is to early right now. He still sells some tropical fruit trees, mostly extemely rare Jabuticaba trees from Brazil. By the way, this curry leaf tree is very healthy for you if you look up the Latin name Murraya Koenobii ( something like that!).
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:11 pm

Will he just pick some leaves for us?

Oh, ok. I will check it out. Thanks.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:13 pm

Sounds like a no go to me.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:31 pm

I included a bag of dried curry leaves in my last Amazon order. If they actually arrive, I will share.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:21 am

the" very rare " jabuticaba is available lakeside chillin..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:44 am

With due respect, when one of the top tropical fruit experts in the world writes that he collects "extremely rare species of jabuticaba", versus more widely known species, I tend to believe him.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3