INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Restocking Food

+12
kiko
Zedinmexico
cerebrozo
RoyD
Jreboll
HoneyBee
gringal
ComputerGuy
ferret
Lady Otter Latté
CanuckBob
Trailrunner
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Restocking Food Empty Restocking Food

Post by Trailrunner Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:43 am

What do you think is the safest way to food shop? And where?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Restocking Food Empty Re: Restocking Food

Post by CanuckBob Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:57 am

The safest way would be a delivery service. I'm not sure who all are providing this though.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:59 am

Or order a hazmat suit off of Amazon.......jaja.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:01 am

I am thinking that it is best to shop first thing in the morning or just before closing when the fewest shoppers are about. Soriana has wider aisles for social distancing though people bunch up at checkouts. Neighborhood markets are best, I think, to pick up necessities without lots of people about. I am washing hands before going out and upon return — and trying not to touch my face on the drive home. Never realized how much I touch my face!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

Agree. I was finally able to go out yesterday. There was not a single can or packet of soup in Walmart and only floral smelling bleach and not much of that so I hope they are able to restock soon. Lots of toilet paper though ;).
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:23 am

Unfortunately, expats (as we all know, no different than home) all go out as early as possible. It's ingrained behaviour. I chuckle every time I drive by the INM office at 9 and see them lined up, knowing full well the staff won't even get there until 10 or 10:30, regardless of stated hours. I go in at noon; always much better.

I went to Walmart Saturday morning at 9, just to avoid the regular weekend crowds, and the place was packed with gringos loading up. At that point, no one seemed to hoarding, but I just left... they didn't have several of the things I wanted anyway, and I think that was down to Walmart's inability to maintain their own inventory... nothing to do with Covid.

Which raises an interesting point: with shelves being empty, is it because they are running low in warehouses, or just typically Walmart inefficient? And if the latter is true, it's going to be a helluva ride.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:28 am

I'm not going to WM, too many people in a confined space. Or SL. Went by SL yesterday around 2, tons of traveling gringos coming and going, standing in clusters yakking, and traffic. Everyone in SAT, business as usual - walking and talking in clusters carrying kids. Probably be seeing that same scenario in a week or so, only with coughing and sneezing.

Sent Pancho's a text yesterday, per his ad about ordering delivery. Not only was it not answered, it was not read.

I agree, LOL, small shops during off times to minimize contact with others. Wash when returning home. Bracing myself for a diet of cilantro, onions, and tomatoes. mariachi

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:28 am

I suspect that using food or grocery delivery as a safety precaution is delusionary.
Why? Who packed the stuff? What about the driver? IMHO, might as well shop early enough to avoid crowds and hope the check out person has clean hands as he/she touches each item you'll be taking home.
Lady Luck is the one really in charge here, sad to say.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneyBee Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:35 am

Gringal, you posted a really funny cartoon that I wanted to print it but can not find it in the mountain of post. Its the one that says something to the effect that the bad news is we did not save for the future but the good news is there is no future..if you have it handy could you re post it ? thanks

HoneyBee
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:38 am

Agree Gringal, as well as about restaurant food delivery. Who knows how clean the surfaces of the kitchens are or the food prep's hands, cooks, etc. This virus can apparently live on surfaces for some time.

I'm going to call Pancho later and see what he says. Torito has done home delivery forever but I don't know how to call for it. Anybody else know?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:46 am

They really do have inexpensive hazmat suits on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/hazmat-suits/yxwaqjv5d5su8hu

Show up sporting this baby and no one will come near you.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 am

Most are unavailable, some will be available April 26. And there are used ones, last used in a nursing home somewhere in Washington state.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:54 am

LOL! Too bad the gas masks are out of stock.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:00 pm

I'm no stranger to hazmat suits. I started my medical career at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. In San Francisco. We were mandated to wear hazmat suits, party hats, respirators, and 2 pairs of gloves. Even on crashes, because, well, you never knew and crashes can be very body fluidly. I hated the look on pts faces when they saw us come for them.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 pm

HoneyBee wrote:Gringal, you posted a really funny cartoon that I wanted to print it but can not find it in the mountain of post. Its the one that says something to the effect that the bad news is we did not save for the future but the good news is there is no future..if you have it handy could you re post it ? thanks
I'd be glad to, but have no idea where it is at this point.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Hazmat suits are such fun to get in and out of (not). I was working in the chemistry lab at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver in '84 when the HIV epidemic started. To take a patients blood, I had to get gowned up, gloved up, masked up and wear booties over my shoes. P.I.T.A. but necessary.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Went out around 10:30. First went to Friends of the Animals pet store in Riberas. Two other people in the store. Then to Pancho’s for the vitally important coffee beans and Kirkland butter. Saw three other people in there. We smiled as we approached each other but turned our heads away as we passed. It feels weird.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:42 pm

Lady O, did Friends of the Animals get in a shipment of dog food today? It was pretty bare in there yesterday and I bought Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice but for puppies. I wanted to have more than I need on hand but the adult variety was missing. Something was better than nothing.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:39 pm

Here's a message from Adelitas Restaurant.

Hello Everyone
Because of the circumstances surrounding COVID-19 we are making some temporary changes...
First off we are open today and still have happy hour but no music.

1. We have decided to cancel live music for now.
2. We are limiting the restaurant to only 40 seats so that we can keep large distances between tables.
3. We have purchased industrial grade disinfectant and are spraying all tables and surfaces regularly.
4. We have anti bacterial gel at every station for both employees and clients (cash register, kitchen, busboy station and bar). Employees are instructed to use the gel every 10 minutes. The staff are now wearing mouth covers and surgical gloves.

My wife Ana and I eat in the restaurant ourselves as we are confident that we are taking every measure to limit possible exposure.

Other changes...
1. We have changed our hours to 12pm to 8pm every day (starting tomorrow, today we open at 2pm) and still closed Wednesday's.
2. We have purchased 2 thermal knapsack cases (the type Uber Eats and other delivery services use) so we can now offer home delivery from Chapala to West Ajijic. You can see the menu here https://adelitabarandgrill.com/menu/meal-delivery-food-to-go/ We plan to deliver all the hours we are open. If the delivery demand increases we may consider extending the hours and even opening 7 days, we will see.
3. We will honor our Tuesday Rib Special even for delivery! Also you can order beer, wine (bottle), and sodas.
4. The minimum order for delivery is $200 pesos but if you order $400 or more we will give a 10% discount. We have a wireless credit card machine so we can offer credit card purchases on deliveries as well.

These are crazy times, but this will pass. We are trying to support our local businesses as much as possible and hope everyone does the same!

If you have any questions just respond to this email!

See you soon!

Jason
Adelita Bar & Grill

For reservations - reply to this email or call 766-0097 or WhatsApp 332-184-4645 or online at http://www.adelitabarandgrill.com
Deliveries https://adelitabarandgrill.com/menu/meal-delivery-food-to-go/

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:56 pm

God Bless 'em!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:48 pm

I love Adelitas. Too bad we can't come now.

From the CDC about home delivery:

Corvid-19 can live up to 3 days on a hard service, metal or plastic. 24 hours on cardboard. You should wear gloves when handling food and place food in clean dish or bowl. Dispose of containers. Wash before and after handling the food. You should choose to have them leave if at the front door to avoid contact with delivery person if possible. You should also wash your food prep surfaces afterwards (duh?).

RoyD
Quarantined in FL

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I am a funny guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:23 pm

ferret wrote:Lady O, did Friends of the Animals get in a shipment of dog food today? It was pretty bare in there yesterday and I bought Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice but for puppies. I wanted to have more than I need on hand but the adult variety was missing. Something was better than nothing.

Dog food supply was very low. I am still looking for Kirkland Mature Dog. Will check with my vet to see when/if he plans to have some. I am trying to get ahead on pet supplies. I don’t want to be quarantined with grumpy dogs and cats.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:59 pm

Went to Pancho's for some food. There were 3 or 4 gringa shoppers whom I was able to avoid, but the worker guys were pushing past me in the aisles restocking. Nobody wearing a mask except me and a woman worker who was wearing hers around her chin. Saw her in the kitchen milling around with another unmasked woman who was working with the food. Then she showed up to check me out. I asked her to back off another meter and put my stuff on the counter. I asked her why she was wearing her mask on her chin. When she finished checking, I reached over and paid her and she walked away. I bagged my own groceries, which was good. They have no clue.

I believe not one person here will take this seriously until the outbreak happens and people start dropping.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Just got a text from Adriana from Granero. She has set up a counter at the entrance to the store and no one in the store but workers. She says she is trying to save her workers, she gets it! She will start grocery delivery soon! Good job, Adri!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cerebrozo Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:24 am

Masks are ineffective. They provide some protection against the spray from a cough or sneeze - but much of the air inhaled and exhaled remains unfiltered because most masks do not provide a tight seal around the nose and mouth.
cerebrozo
cerebrozo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next