INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Mask . . .

+15
kiko
Heem
Marrell
Intercasa
ComputerGuy
CHILLIN
BisbeeGal
Dostortas
ferret
Rosa Venus
slainte39
gringal
mudgirl
Jreboll
Trailrunner
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A Mask . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: A Mask . . .

Post by Intercasa Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:46 am

So then the IQ test would be like:

No mask - Mentally retarded
Cheap mask with nose showing - Slight mental retardation

(Not sure where cloth or large homemade masks leaving huge gaping spaces or the super thin cheap masks fit in)

N95 mask with other mask on top or Chemical gas mask - Genius

Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Mrs. De likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrell Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:44 pm

Well I guess I"m no longer a genius.  Until a year ago, I had 4 military chemical gas masks with new canisters from the first Gulf war in Saudi.
Since we didn't pay for moving, we brought them along and last year I cleaned out the garage thinking that I had no use for them.  The U.S. consulate and Saudi Aramco both gave us masks.

Marrell
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Heem Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:02 pm

quote="mudgirl"

Great. Doctors who don't believe in science. Guess you don't have to be all that smart to pass medical school.

Unfortunately education and smarts do not always go hand in hand.

Heem
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:12 pm

Don't let the stoners get hold of your gas masks and CPAP machines. They are modifying them into bongs for smoking cannabis! It is a "thing", google it.

I was once working on a large movie set and had to wear a full face, air supplied respirator. Then I noticed an odor which I recognised. They had placed the respirator pumps outdoors, but this was where some of the crew would smoke their cannabis.

CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:03 pm

You just can’t win with some people.

https://i.redd.it/bg0ps00q0o751.jpg

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:22 pm

Intercasa wrote:So then the IQ test would be like:

No mask - Mentally retarded
Cheap mask with nose showing - Slight mental retardation

(Not sure where cloth or large homemade masks leaving huge gaping spaces or the super thin cheap masks fit in)

N95 mask with other mask on top or Chemical gas mask - Genius

Sounds reasonable.  Is there an official government evaluation?  lol!

Seems like you are missing a couple of categories?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:23 pm

Yeah, I've seen some pretty bad cloth masks- they are either too small to cover the wearer's nose and mouth at the same time, or, as you say, they have big gaps.
I made a bunch of cloth masks, but as a professional seamstress, they fit really well, no gaps. They are double layer- a tight-woven cotton on the inside, and either interfacing, which is non-porous, or black-out curtain fabric on the inside, which, if you pour water on it, doesn't even go through.
Some of the worst cloth masks are those made from that Mexican fabric that usually has a black base color and colored stripes on it- that fabric is really loosely woven and is also made of totally synthetic fiber, which some people may find irritating.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:39 am

https://web.facebook.com/watch/?v=265706771159373
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:45 am

Wow! That was excellent! Thanks, Kiko. And this was done with a simple surgical mask.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:04 am

Such a simple experiment and so very visually effective. Makes you wonder why anyone who has a cold or the flu wouldn't wear a mask to protect others... even when not in the time of the Coronavirus.
This demonstration is only showing bacterial contamination but the principle remains the same.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:17 pm

Went to Chapala 2 days in a row, walked around, in and out of city hall . . . easily 99% of people were correctly masked! Almost everybody. People appear to be taking it more seriously.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Girl Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:33 pm

Suddenly the GOP and their right wing cohorts are getting it?
https://news.yahoo.com/amid-surge-in-coronavirus-cases-and-mounting-criticism-gop-leaders-do-about-face-on-masks-191457409.html

Bet it has nothing to do with what Moscow Mitch so sanctimoniously said!

Lucky Girl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:09 pm

Read an interesting article the other day. I'd call it mask trickle down theory:
Trump doesn't wear a mask, so
His followers don't wear masks, so
Many more people get sick, so
Many more people die, and
The shops and businesses have to stay closed, so
Nobody makes any money, and
The U.S. economy collapses, so
Trump is a both a murderer and a nation-wrecker.

Because he won't wear a fuckin' mask!
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:30 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Went to Chapala 2 days in a row, walked around, in and out of city hall . . . easily 99% of people were correctly masked! Almost everybody. People appear to be taking it more seriously.

I live in Chapala and have seen the locals change their attitude toward wearing masks slowly but surely. At first, many of my friends thought the virus was some kind of a hoax and refused to wear masks. They're all wearing masks now. Once you get off the main streets, some of them relax their guard and lower their masks. Today, a neighbor warned me to be wary of a flood of unmasked outsiders who will be coming to town as the state opens up for business. I am not looking forward to this.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:59 pm

There was a famous Mexican, a couple of hundred years ago, that always wore a mask.
His name was Zorro!  lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12 pm

Alex, who are the unmasked outsiders coming to town? You mean weekend Tapatios? Or?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:24 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Alex, who are the unmasked outsiders coming to town? You mean weekend Tapatios? Or?

A group/family from Tepatitlán/Capilla de Guadalupe up in Los Altos has booked the entire Cosala Grand Hotel in SJC for the week through this weekend.  30 some rooms, a small army…... lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Good, we need the tourists back here. If you feel unsafe wear a mask, stay at home and practice social distancing.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 pm

ferret wrote:Such a simple experiment and so very visually effective. Makes you wonder why anyone who has a cold or the flu wouldn't wear a mask to protect others... even when not in the time of the Coronavirus.
This demonstration is only showing bacterial contamination but the principle remains the same.

Photos from some Asian countries from long before coronavirus and not even to do with SARS or anything, show that many Asians wear masks when out in public. A lot of Chinese in Vancouver, especially if you go up to Richmond, which has a huge Chinese poplulation, have worn masks in public for a long time.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:07 pm

I lived in Vancouver for 48 years and worked in Richmond for 30 years and don't recall seeing a lot of Asians wearing masks. I employed a lot of Asians and none of them wore masks at work. I've been gone for 8 years so maybe this is something new.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:38 pm

slainte39 wrote:There was a famous Mexican, a couple of hundred years ago, that always wore a mask.

Historical Note (Not!): Isabel Allende's Zorro was a Californiano from El Pueblo de la Reina de los Angeles. His parents were Espanoles.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:46 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Alex, who are the unmasked outsiders coming to town? You mean weekend Tapatios? Or?

I asked the same question. My neighbor said they were coming from everywhere. (See Slainte's response.)
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukiyo Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:37 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I lived in Vancouver for 48 years and worked in Richmond for 30 years and don't recall seeing a lot of Asians wearing masks. I employed a lot of Asians and none of them wore masks at work. I've been gone for 8 years so maybe this is something new.

It has been custom(?) to wear masks in public in Japan for over 100 years
since 1918 when the Spanish flu became pandemic.
After 90's people started to use masks not only in winter time but all year
around to avoid from hay fevers and PM 2.5 flying from China and Korea where
I believe, people started to use masks. Many Asian countries followed.

I had many friends from the States and Canada asked me whether the people
wearing masks had some kind of diseases. I have told them that anyone could
enter the banks with masks and sunglasses without any hassle.
Attachments
A Mask . . . - Page 2 Attachment
masks.png Here is a picture taken about 100 yrs ago;You don't have permission to download attachments.(223 Kb) Downloaded 6 times

Ukiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:39 pm

Smartalex wrote:
slainte39 wrote:There was a famous Mexican, a couple of hundred years ago, that always wore a mask.

Historical Note (Not!): Isabel Allende's Zorro was a Californiano from El Pueblo de la Reina de los Angeles. His parents were Espanoles.

But if he was there after 1810, wouldn´t he be a mexicano, no matter where his parents came from?  All of California, alta y baja, was part or Mexico until the late 1840´s when the US grabbed part of it. And even before 1810, Mexico/Mejico (Nueva España) was not an integral part of España but a separately governed colonial entity with it´s own governor/viceroy and colonial government.
A lot of mexicanos have direct roots with Spain……..why even AMLO´s grandmother was born in Spain.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:35 am

slainte39 wrote:
Smartalex wrote:

But if he was there after 1810, wouldn´t he be a mexicano, no matter where his parents came from?  All of California, alta y baja, was part or Mexico until the late 1840´s when the US grabbed part of it. And even before 1810, Mexico/Mejico (Nueva España) was not an integral part of España but a separately governed colonial entity with it´s own governor/viceroy and colonial government.
A lot of mexicanos have direct roots with Spain……..why even AMLO´s grandmother was born in Spain.

Agreed...that would indeed make him a Mexicano, as well as a Californiano and an Angeleno. The original Zorro was supposedly a Chileno, which is where the hat comes from. There may even be some historical truth to his legend.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:00 am

CanuckBob wrote:I lived in Vancouver for 48 years and worked in Richmond for 30 years and don't recall seeing a lot of Asians wearing masks. I employed a lot of Asians and none of them wore masks at work. I've been gone for 8 years so maybe this is something new.

I've stayed with a friend in Richmond when I've gone up for my one month trip to Canada in the summers (except for this one) for maybe the past 6 years or so. I never knew that part of Vancouver before- I lived on Vancouver Island and hadn't lived in Vancouver ever except for about 8 months back in the early 70's (I used to sell my leatherwork down in Gastown, right around the time when it was starting to change from rubbie to chic) . It certainly wasn't most, but I did see quite a few of the Chinese in Richmond wearing masks- it was so noticeable because no one else does. I don't know whether it's because they were ill, or were protecting themselves from others.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2