INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

good choclate can not spell anymore

+8
Smartalex
Wide Sky
ComputerGuy
rckrckr
Plan B
ferret
gringal
gobluejohn
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

good choclate can not spell anymore Empty good choclate can not spell anymore

Post by gobluejohn Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:29 am

my wife has a birthday Saturday and she wants good cholate, since sweets and treats as closed I do not have any other place to get some. any and all suggestions would be greatly welcomed thank you in advance john
gobluejohn
gobluejohn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

good choclate can not spell anymore Empty Re: good choclate can not spell anymore

Post by gringal Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:11 am

There's a fellow on TOB who makes chocolate.  Posts under "Rony". I hear it's good stuff, the old fashioned Swiss way.
There is a chocolate shop in the small strip mall in West Ajijic where El Ancla restaurant is located. I've sampled it, and it's GOOD.
Walmart sells a bag of really good truffles, when they have it.
Happy chocohunting! Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

good choclate can not spell anymore Empty Re: good choclate can not spell anymore

Post by ferret Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:24 am

They also sell chocolates at the Swiss Bakery in the Laguna Mall.
I suggest you go on a chocolate sampling tour to all these locations then pick the ones your wife will like best... or I'll do it for you... but I expect to be reimbursed for the chocolates I consume. bounce cheers However, the opinion on which are the best comes at no charge.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:34 am

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/Chocolac+Axixic/@20.2954436,-103.2985033,16z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1schocolate+Ajijic!3m4!1s0x842f4365aa9ecde7:0x20232ced767d0f13!8m2!3d20.2954436!4d-103.2941259

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:41 am

Laguna Mall's bakery is Scandinavian.
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rckrckr Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:44 am

And I believe Rony is Belgian.

rckrckr
Share Holder
Share Holder

kamcd likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:45 am

Thanks for the correction Plan B.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:01 am

My secret: El Torito at Plaza Bugambilias sells fancy imported chocolate bars of all kinds for about 32p... the same ones that SuperLake and Walmart sell for 72p and up. Last week I picked up 62% dark with cranberries, and milk chocolate with pretzel. I particularly like the chocolate with orange bits.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

kamcd likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:29 am

I'm still dreaming about the chocolate the kids sent for Christmas three years ago.
Salt water toffee coated with milk chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt. Orgasmic!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gobluejohn Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:33 am

thanks to al of you you have made my day, and I know it will make hers too
gobluejohn
gobluejohn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wide Sky Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:24 pm

gringal wrote:There's a fellow on TOB who makes chocolate.  Posts under "Rony". I hear it's good stuff, the old fashioned Swiss way.
Very Happy
Rony, the Belgian, quit making chocolates a year ago; in fact he sold out to one of the people from Sweets & Treats; not Ruth one of her workers.

Wide Sky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:40 pm

Wide Sky wrote:
gringal wrote:There's a fellow on TOB who makes chocolate.  Posts under "Rony". I hear it's good stuff, the old fashioned Swiss way.
Very Happy
Rony, the Belgian, quit making chocolates a year ago; in fact he sold out to one of the people from Sweets & Treats; not Ruth one of her workers.

I hadn't heard that, so thanks for the correction.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:17 pm

Chocolate originated in Mexico. Cacao beans were ground, mixed with juice from maize and served as a drink...it still is. Cacao beans were also used like a currency for trade and barter. The Europeans mixed it with milk and created the chocolate bar. Ibarra and Abuelita are common brands of Mexican hot chocolate. De la Rosa makes a variety of chocolates, including chocolate oscuro, a 48% cacao chocolate bar.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:43 pm

dup--

Last edited by brigitte on Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:44 pm

I made Mexcan chocolate n Oaxaca .. you take the beans take out the shell, roasts the beans and grind them on a metate then you grind canela then you grind sugar then take the batch to the mill and they grind it and make tight chunks of chocolate. You add water and cook the chocolate until it melts, let it cook and foam it with a wooden molino... Traditionally it is not used with milk amongst th indigenous.. Most chocolate we eat has very little coco in it.. 48% is a very high percentage of coco..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kamcd Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:09 pm

De la Rosa bars available at the Granero in Ajijic. Smaller bars in a box - excellent chocolate.

kamcd

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:02 am

Smartalex wrote:Chocolate originated in Mexico. Cacao beans were ground, mixed with juice from maize and served as a drink...it still is. Cacao beans were also used like a currency for trade and barter. The Europeans mixed it with milk and created the chocolate bar. Ibarra and Abuelita are common brands of Mexican hot chocolate. De la Rosa makes a variety of chocolates, including chocolate oscuro, a 48% cacao chocolate bar.
good choclate can not spell anymore D_NQ_NP_969123-MLM32922720019_112019-O

You can purchase boxes of these at the candy store in Chapala with the red awning opposite the Main Market. I know, I have the waist to prove it!
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:23 am

48% won't do it for me; I have tried them a few times.  They are not a quality smooth chocolate.  Bit grainy.  At 48%, barely a dark chocolate.

Rony's successor uses his original Belgium recipe.  They are now marketed as Belgium Eden.  The  sell plain and also sugar free.  Their flavored ones are amazing...candied ginger; sea salt; cranberry/almond; candied orange.  Seasonally, crushed peppermint candy canes.

They sell in Chapala at the consignment store near the Legion.  In Ajijic at La Granero.  Maybe other places??  You can reach them at belgiumeden@gmail.com
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:28 am

BisbeeGal wrote:48% won't do it for me; I have tried them a few times.  They are not a quality smooth chocolate.  Bit grainy.  

Rony's successor uses his original Belgium recipe.  They are now marketed as Belgium Eden.  The  sell plain and also sugar free.  Their flavored ones are amazing...candied ginger; sea salt; cranberry/almond; candied orange.  Seasonally, crushed peppermint candy canes.

They sell in Chapala at the consignment store near the Legion.  In Ajijic at La Granero.  Maybe other places??  You can reach them at belgiumeden@gmail.com

These are not Belgian chocolates, and you are correct they are grainy, however the cost/quality value they represent is good. I find that they compliment a good cup of coffee after a meal.
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:31 am

the percentage has nothing to do with grainy.. We have puere chocolate that indigenous give me and t is grainy because the mill is not fine enough meanwhile it has more cacao than 99 percent of the chocolate on the market.
If you guys ever go to Chiapas go to the museum of cacao and you will learn a whole lot about chocolate ...it also shows how much cacao the well known brand have in them and all of them are very smooth and have very little cacao..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:35 pm

I am always willing to try new products but, it has been my experience, that every single Mexican chocolate (with the exception of Rony's Belgian style chocolate) is gritty. I am not a fan of eating chocolate with what feels like a side of sand.
Lindt chocolates have between 70% and 99% cacao... always.
https://www.chocolate.lindt.com/shop/excellence/excellence-cocoa-90-1
In the end, it comes down to what makes your taste buds happy. I would kill for a Cadbury's Flaky Bar... the kind that my Nana used to send me for Easter when I was a kid...even though they were always smashed to pieces on arrival.
I hope your wife had a wonderful Birthday GoBlueJohn. It's the thought that counts.

Edited to add: seek and ye shall find... https://www.amazon.com/Cadbury-Flake-Chocolate-Bars-12-Count/dp/B000KY6IIY
Warning: addictive bliss!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Marrell, Plan B and BisbeeGal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrell Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:12 pm

ferret wrote:I am always willing to try new products but, it has been my experience, that every single Mexican chocolate (with the exception of Rony's Belgian style chocolate) is gritty. I am not a fan of eating chocolate with what feels like a side of sand.
Lindt chocolates have between 70% and 99% cacao... always.
https://www.chocolate.lindt.com/shop/excellence/excellence-cocoa-90-1
In the end, it comes down to what makes your taste buds happy. I would kill for a Cadbury's Flaky Bar... the kind that my Nana used to send me for Easter when I was a kid...even though they were always smashed to pieces on arrival.
I hope your wife had a wonderful Birthday GoBlueJohn. It's the thought that counts.

Edited to add: seek and ye shall find... https://www.amazon.com/Cadbury-Flake-Chocolate-Bars-12-Count/dp/B000KY6IIY
Warning: addictive bliss!

OMG OMG Cadbury Flake Chocolate Bars. Bought a box when I was in London 2 years ago. Almost every year returning to the Middle East from the U.S.
via Ireland/UK the relatives always had a box or two waiting for us. They thought we were nuts... Blisssssss.

Marrell
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:06 pm

ferret, When I was in a cacao plantation in Chiapas I had Mexican cholocale  100% cacao with out cacao butter that was fine and smooth as silk.. Begian chocolate are European there for unlike the Mexican chocolate. When you are in Oaxaca or Chiapas or Tabasco you can find Mexican chololate that is as smooth as any European chocolate

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:10 pm

OMG  OMG   Cadbury Flake Chocolate Bars.  Bought a box when I was in London 2 years ago. Almost every year returning to the Middle East from the U.S.
via Ireland/UK the relatives always had a box or two waiting for us.  They thought we were nuts... Blisssssss.[/quote]

FYI Cadburry is one of the company that have very low cacaro levels.. between 25 and 35 % of cacao.. so maybe it is not the cacao that you like so much..  Also no ne has ever said that 100% of anything is the best way to go.. Thinnk about the history, cacao had to be imported and therefore was expensive so the European figured how to make some delicious chocolate without a whole lot of cacao...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:11 pm

By the way Lindt,a swiss company is well know for their great expertise on making chocolate and they are also known to buy poor quality beans from Madagascar...

Stick with artesanal chocolate if you are a fan of great coco beans. and dark and bitter chocolate.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next