INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My computer knows that I am in Mexico

+3
CanuckBob
ferret
sturdley
7 posters

Go down

My computer knows that I am in Mexico Empty My computer knows that I am in Mexico

Post by sturdley Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:36 am

I cannot log on to ESPN .com as it reverts to .com.mx. I cannot receive some tsn.ca articles as a restricted access to Canadians only pops up. Is there some way to avoid this minor problem in my life?

sturdley

Back to top Go down

My computer knows that I am in Mexico Empty Re: My computer knows that I am in Mexico

Post by ferret Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 am

A vpn might work. I'm using Nordvpn and am having the best success with it after trying Windscribe and then Expressvpn. With Nordvpn, I can pick anywhere in the world to use as a vpn. That's probably possible with the others but Nordvpn appears to be much more user friendly to me.

Edited to add: It works because I just tried to get to Walmart.com and was shunted back to Walmart.com.mx Started up Nordvpn and connected to the U.S. and now I can see Walmart.com
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

inthecolumbiagorge likes this post

Back to top Go down

My computer knows that I am in Mexico Empty Re: My computer knows that I am in Mexico

Post by CanuckBob Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:33 am

You can either get vpn software for your computer or a vpn router for everything. I have a Netgear Hawk VPN router with ExpressVPN built into it. I can change countries and servers from an app on my phone. You can also specify which devices connect via VPN or not.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

ferret, inthecolumbiagorge and Jubilacion like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pogo Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:00 pm

CanuckBob wrote:You can either get vpn software for your computer or a vpn router for everything. I have a Netgear Hawk VPN router with ExpressVPN built into it. I can change countries and servers from an app on my phone. You can also specify which devices connect via VPN or not.

Bob, does this router work on Telmex/Infinitum? I think you are on ILox (which I am still waiting on to become reliable ((?)

Where did you get the router? How costly was it?

You have me excited about the possibility of real internet here at lakeside Very Happy

Pogo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:08 pm

I can answer. Yes, all third-party routers work with all modem routers like TelMex. It does not improve your speed. If you are using a VPN strictly for accessing out-of-country Websites more easily: you can simply find and click on the country you want on any WalMart or or other US site's Webpage; usually a flag of the country, to get the location your want, without any VPN at all. Almost all shopping sites and email sites provide these.

Sites that require a subscription, like britbox, or tsn, will require the VPN. You can then use Windscribe or Tunnelbear's free VPN service, because while they limit the amount of data every month, Websites use nowhere near the free amount of data provided.

You would only require a subscription to a VPN service if you are regularly watching TV on your PC or sending same to your TV set. This is a generalization of course, because there are some banking and similarly secure sites that don't work out-of-country without a VPN and some even with a VPN.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:58 pm

Mike, Walmart doesn't, HomeDepot doesn't, Lowes doesn't nor does Amazon allow switching on their websites to another country. There's probably more and I guess it depends on which sites you're shopping and/or looking for information on products.
Walmart Mexico is particularly annoying because even if you put in the proper ending on the website (.com or .ca etc.) it jumps back to Walmart Mexico unless you have a vpn.
Incredibly territorial.
Sometimes I like to compare apples to apples in different countries on products I'm interested in and also can find things more easily in English. Some Mexican websites are annoying when you are searching for something. Products pop up that have absolutely nothing to do with what you were searching. Kind of reminds of the old joke about companion selling re: buying tampons and a lawnmower because you might as well cut the grass this weekend because you won't be getting any action.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

mudgirl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by conejorapido Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:44 pm

ferret wrote:Mike, Walmart doesn't, HomeDepot doesn't, Lowes doesn't nor does Amazon allow switching on their websites to another country. There's probably more and I guess it depends on which sites you're shopping and/or looking for information on products.
Walmart Mexico is particularly annoying because even if you put in the proper ending on the website (.com or .ca etc.) it jumps back to Walmart Mexico unless you have a vpn.
Incredibly territorial.
Sometimes I like to compare apples to apples in different countries on products I'm interested in and also can find things more easily in English. Some Mexican websites are annoying when you are searching for something. Products pop up that have absolutely nothing to do with what you were searching. Kind of reminds of the old joke about companion selling re: buying tampons and a lawnmower because you might as well cut the grass this weekend because you won't be getting any action.

True of some of the sites you mention but definitely not true of Amazon. I switch back and forth regularly with Amazon. In fact, with Amazon, when you switch from US to Mexico it actually loads a new page for amazon.com.mx while leaving the us page still available.

conejorapido
Share Holder
Share Holder

cerebrozo and inthecolumbiagorge like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:21 pm

Then will you please tell me where that option is available on Amazon? I am not seeing it.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:52 pm

Found it. When I previously clicked on the flag, I didn't go to bottom and assumed it was just for language preferences. This time I went all the way to the bottom to find the country change. Thank you for making me look harder.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:08 pm

Of course, not all, but many (okay, so in my experience, almost all the ones I ever use). My point being always check first before deciding you need to spend money on a VPN, because -trust me- many people do not know this... and that includes email Websites that come up in Spanish, because the site automatically knows what country you are in based on your IP address.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:14 pm

I use my VPN to stream out of country tv services such as Netflix, Prime, Paramount, Britbox and Crave. Got rid of Shaw Satellite last summer. Couldn't be happier. I can even get my Coronation Street on Britbox US. All my smart tvs, Alexa and Roku devices connect to the VPN router.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:26 pm

BritBox is absolutely packed with shows. And with my Roku, I even get TCM no charge.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSouth Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:49 pm

You can also get free TCM from/at/with/using ustv247.tv

And a giant gracias to our friends in Tuvalu, who sold their “suffix” over a decade ago for what would now be considered a mess ‘o pottage.

LuvSouth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down