INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meanwhile.. the local Covid variant..

+9
mudgirl
Zedinmexico
RickS
ferret
Jubilacion
kiko
BisbeeGal
Jreboll
caligirl108
13 posters

Go down

Meanwhile.. the local Covid variant.. Empty Meanwhile.. the local Covid variant..

Post by caligirl108 Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:56 pm

seems to be muscling about town.. Last week, SAT hospital & Best Labs both reported 60% positive in antigen tests they performed.  Late last week, a friend had both realtors involved in a closing out with Covid.  Now a guy in a WhatsApp dining group just tested positive.. He figures he caught it the last week in July.  He was double vaxxed w Pfizer, and mentioned that Dr. Leon (his doc) stated that "most' of the 19 cases he'd seen, were in Pfizer double vaxxed people. Some were asymptomatic. It was a very short window of 3-4 days that Lakeside drove to Tlajomulco for Pfizer, thinking themselves quite fortunate.  Perhaps it was not kept refrigerated at the deep cold required or the people who received this vaccine behaved in an over confident manner.  Something different happened - those numbers are a statistical anomaly for break-thru cases for sure.

After all the bad press on Sinovac  (e.g., no immunity after 6 months)  And then all the mix & match attempts.. This news is cringe-worthy..

Time to don a more serious KN95 mask, even to the grocery.  Get back to reading, fresh air walks & our tiny social bubbles.  Some of us butterflies were just re-emerging.  I think our Lakeside time has come.

Question for Those in the Know:

Apparently Cruz Roja was called to a medical emergency of someone's neighbor - they would NOT transport without evidence of a recent Negative Covid test.. I think the requested parameter was within the week.  I guess another ambulance service doesn't require this.  Does anyone know if this is Cruz Roja policy now?  I know they had a lot of cases among their paramedics months ago.  So people of frail health need to keep their negative covid status current every week????  WOWser..

Best time EVER to learn how to use a neti pot w hypertonic saline.  Go to Healthline.com for a detailed explanation. Reduce that viral load if you can, become potentially less infectious to your pod if you do happen to be asympto.  ~ pass that antigen swab test with flying colors!!

caligirl108
Share Holder
Share Holder

kiko and dvinton like this post

Back to top Go down

Meanwhile.. the local Covid variant.. Empty Re: Meanwhile.. the local Covid variant..

Post by Jreboll Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:16 pm

A son of my wife’s cousin has been in a Mexico City hospital for seven weeks now. He’s finally off the ventilator but has a tracheostomy and is still receiving oxygen. Only his wife is allowed to see him even though his dad is a doctor. It’s a sad state of affairs. My wife’s cousin is 76yo with a history of age related medical problems and this is his only son.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Meanwhile.. the local Covid variant.. Empty Re: Meanwhile.. the local Covid variant..

Post by BisbeeGal Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:15 pm

From this site  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/china-delta-variant-steps-up-infection-rates#Delta-variant-steps-up-infection-rates

Rather than attempt to rate which vax is better against the Delta variant, suffice it to say this is one nasty mutation.  The data out there on Delta and which vax is 'best' against it is all pretty new and not enough of it yet.  

fyi our regular driver to GDL told us yesterday about many local MXNs suffering from Covid now.  And also his interactions with a lot of local gringos who told him not to get vaxed along with all the crap about how the vax will alter his DNA, make him magnetic.  

What’s more, there are concerns about the efficacy of China’s homegrown vaccines, Sinovac and Sinopharm.

The evidence of their efficacy against Delta is lacking from China itself due to relatively few cases. But in countries that China has supplied with its vaccines, such as Chile and Mongolia, cases are high compared with countries with similarly high vaccine coverage, such as Israel and the U.S.

Clinical trials suggest that Sinovac and Sinopharm, which manufacturers have based on inactivated viruses, are 50–79% effective at preventing infection. By contrast, Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech, which are mRNA vaccines, confer more than 90% protection.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:02 pm

What is absurd is that I know some people who have reluctantly taken the vaccinations but they continue on social media sites, including Chapala.com, to push against masks and vaccinations. I guess they are running low on lithium. A population void of logic but full of paranoia.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

RVGRINGO, kamcd, Heem, sturdley, mudgirl and dvinton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubilacion Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:01 am

caligirl108...seems to be muscling about town.. Last week, SAT hospital & Best Labs both reported 60% positive in antigen tests they performed. Late last week, a friend had both realtors involved in a closing out with Covid.  Now a guy in a WhatsApp dining group just tested positive.. He figures he caught it the last week in July.  He was double vaxxed w Pfizer, and mentioned that Dr. Leon (his doc) stated that "most' of the 19 cases he'd seen, were in Pfizer double vaxxed people.... Something different happened - those numbers are a statistical anomaly for break-thru cases for sure.

Caligirl, where did you find reports that Best Labs and SAT reported high numbers in their antigen tests? Is this just a rumor (3rd hand info) or have you and others seen these report numbers?

Also, regarding "statistical anomaly for break-thru cases..." readers here should do a quick google search for Cape Cod Covid outbreak from just a couple weeks back. There is something very fishy with the Press reporting "only a few rare occurrences.. of break-through cases"... in most of their stories. The articles from the search above will show it was the CDC who first reported reported in the Cape Cod outbreak 74% of the new Covid cases were already double vaccinated! What is going on? That's a whole lot more that a statistical anomaly! Why isn't this a bigger concern to more people?

There is so much double-speak out there it's no wonder some people are still disbelievers and afraid to commit to vaccinations.

Jubilacion
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Yes, please!

kamcd likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:28 am

There is no double-speak. It's an evolving situation not a static one. Delta is breaking rules and is far more transmissible than any of the previous strains. Until Delta came along, vaccinated people were not transmitting it. Now they are. The study of the Cape Cod outbreak revealed that vaccinated people were carrying high loads of transmissible Delta even if they weren't particularly sick therefore, the CDC recommended that masking be re-instated. Vaccinations can and do work to stop people from becoming very sick, requiring hospitalization and/or dying. Those things are well documented. The vaccines work. Period.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Lady Otter Latté, RickS and mudgirl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:36 am

Iceland is a good example of resurging delta without causing deaths among the vaccinated.  The unvaccinated better watch out because there’ll be COVID all around but they’ll be the only ones dying.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/iceland-covid-surge-vaccines/2021/08/14/bdd88d04-fabd-11eb-911c-524bc8b68f17_story.html

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:01 pm

About the only thing more crazy than not getting a vaccination for Covid-19 is.... sitting at home on one's computer trying to play 'remote immunologist' and, with no further training, then posting information on said like it was fact.
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

mattoleriver, kiko and kamcd like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by caligirl108 Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:38 pm

The antigen testing figures were provided by a friend who went to SAT to get tested (she has a baby & wanted to be sure) & staff told her.  Another man who got tested @ Best Labs reported it on FB Covid 19 Lakeside Group - again, staff shared incidence rate.  

The point of my post: VAX or non-Vax are carrying the disease here locally now. Pfizer cases reported via Dr. Leon as 'break-thru' maybe not entirely accurate - asymptomatic people are not sick.. But carrying viral load in nasal passages. I just found the #s shocking as I don't think more than 500 expats here GOT the Pfizer (due to the Guad address issue) so to have 20 out 500 - that is 4%.

Yes ~ Mexicans are wearing masks more than I have seen in the past 18 months. And yes, now socially active ex-pats who thought the jab would protect them, are not being protected. As in US news, now here. Lots of vaxxed people have been traveling to/from US.. in many cases to GET the vax~!!

Looking at the stats presented on the FB Covid blog, the government reports show a huge 20 - 40 y/o case count right now, so yes, largely unvaxxed nationals who are invincible or think its a hoax still..  The reproductive rate calculated for Lakeside is still <1, which I find amazing, based on the antecdotal stories of the last week.  

Just sharing. As an RN, I think exposure here is eminent now, if not uber cautious.

caligirl108
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret, RickS, Lucky Girl, kiko and Heem like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:41 pm

Delta variant can be passed for four days for vaccinated folks and ten days for non vaccinated folks. Wear your mask. Try to stay away from people.  This is a new study and I will feel better when a backup study is done but until then I will be paranoid. Absolutely no doubt we all can carry it vaccinated or not vaccinated. Local friend of mine got it but he had only one dose of A. Zenica.  He was sick for two weeks, lost sense of taste and was extremely tired.  His case will never be recorded. He is still a little bit weak. How many fall in this category?

Be safe folks

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:00 pm

"There is so much double-speak out there it's no wonder some people are still disbelievers and afraid to commit to vaccinations."

Rubbish. Do people refuse to take antibiotics when they might die otherwise, just because some bacteria have developed immunity to antibiotics?
Anti-vaxxers just latch onto whatever they can come up with to justify their refusal or reluctance to get vaxed.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Lady Otter Latté, Lucky Girl and LuvSouth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:09 pm

Getting the vaccination does not prevent covid or any of the variants. It means that you will likely not get sick enough to require hospitalization. Covid is here to stay IMO. It will never be eradicated. It will be like the common cold and flu.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

ferret, rckrckr, RVGRINGO, Lucky Girl, LuvSouth and BisbeeGal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:41 pm

Well, it could possibly be eradicated if everyone got vaxed and continued to mask up and avoid public gatherings, sticking to their bubble, until the virus had no one left to infect and died out, but too many humans being uncooperative and stupid makes that unlikely.
I wonder how many smallpox anti-vaxers there were.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

gringal, ferret, MexicoPete, Lucky Girl, Plan B and Heem like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:30 am

I know of several people vaxed and they have COVID. Some mild some severe. Vax Is not preventing delta so be vigilant. Stay safe.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:29 am

FYI, Imperfect Vaccination Can Enhance the Transmission of Highly Virulent Pathogens

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1002198

All 20+ vaccines approved worldwide leak.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:37 am

That’s a very preliminary study you quoted. Sounds very logical but leaves a lot of questions unanswered.
Why are you curious as to what viruses do in chickens?

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:02 am

Playaboy wrote:FYI,  Imperfect Vaccination Can Enhance the Transmission of Highly Virulent Pathogens

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1002198

All 20+ vaccines approved worldwide leak.

An article from 2015... really?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

kiko, kamcd and mudgirl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:21 am

CanuckBob wrote:Getting the vaccination does not prevent covid or any of the variants. It means that you will likely not get sick enough to require hospitalization. Covid is here to stay IMO. It will never be eradicated. It will be like the common cold and flu.

Also possible it will just go away. This is what happen with the 1918 flu it just went away.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

LuvSouth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Meanwhile.. the local Covid variant.. Empty Meanwhile.. the local Covid variant..

Post by RoyD Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:15 pm

I will share with you the our own Mayo Clinic study that came out recently. Pfizer protects 42% vs Delta. Moderna 76%. Here in Jacksonville, FL, I know a half dozen people that got the Delta variant and all were fully vaccinated with Pfizer. They had mild cold/flu symptoms for about a week and nobody needed hospitalization. I have not heard of anyone vaccinated with Moderna that has gotten the Delta variant. That does not mean someone has not caught it, I just have not heard of anybody.

I agree with CBob, that you can still get it, but it keeps you out of the hospital in most cases. I did hear that a fully vaccinated person that caught it, did go to the hospital and died, but they had other serious health issues at the time.
RoyD

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I am a funny guy

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:50 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Getting the vaccination does not prevent covid or any of the variants. It means that you will likely not get sick enough to require hospitalization. Covid is here to stay IMO. It will never be eradicated. It will be like the common cold and flu.

Also possible it will just go away.  This is what happen with the 1918 flu it just went away.

No, it did not "just go away". It infected 500 million and killed between 17 and 100 million. In other words, it either killed people or inferred immunity in those who recovered. And considering it's contagiousness and deadiness, those who didn't ever contract it either had some natural immunity or took extreme precautions. When viruses have no one left to infect, that's when they peter out. They don't just say "Hey guys, this is getting boring, let's just go away."

Last edited by mudgirl on Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:54 pm

I can just imagine that there will be a lot of vaccinated Typhoid Marys running around infecting a lot of people without themselves showing much of any symptoms.

Last edited by Jreboll on Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correction)

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:52 pm

So at what point do the vaccinated stop wearing masks and leave the unvaccinated to fend for themselves? I personally only wear a mask now because not all age groups have had a chance to get both shots but after that..........???

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

LuvSouth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:51 pm

I hung out with lots of family and friends when I was just up on Vancouver Island for a month. Everyone had been double or at least single vaxed and all had been taking all precautions when out in public. There hadn't been a case of Covid in the Comox Valley for 7 months because of such high compliance and enforcement of precautions. It was such a welcome relief to be there. But I still wore a mask in stores, as did at least half the people I saw. And will continue to do so in public places as long as the virus is a threat and there are so many Pro-Covid idiots around. It doesn't kill me to wear a mask in public, indoor spaces.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

gringal, ferret, Lady Otter Latté, Lucky Girl, kamcd and Heem like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:33 am

Jreboll wrote:I can just imagine that there will be a lot of vaccinated Typhoid Marys running around infecting a lot of people without themselves showing much of any symptoms.

Already happening.  I know two people who had it and just kept going out. They could not be bothered to be isolated. It is kinda obvious when you lose your sense of smell or taste what is going on.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down