INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hiway robbery in Tonala?

+19
Axixic
E-raq
jackak10
Trailrunner
hockables
merry
espíritu del lago
Solovino
RoofBob
Jim W
simpsca
CheenaGringo
Mainecoons
johninajijic
oncesubtle
Jerry00
CanuckBob
ferret
bobnliz
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Hiway robbery in Tonala? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hiway robbery in Tonala?

Post by Mainecoons Tue May 29, 2012 2:13 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Heightened awareness is what it will be for us when we travel that route on our next trip!

Exactly how would that work? The guys seem to come out of nowhere. There are few retornos on that stretch. They come up behind you, lights flashing. What do you do? Pull over or keep going until you're off that stretch. One lady did that and got away with it but they might not like it if a guy does it.

BTW, one of the ways you know for sure you have the bandits is that they take their name tags off.

So now you're pulled over and they want you to open the car and get out. Do you do it? Do you demand to see their identification first? Do you offer to follow them to the Federale station at the airport where you can be legitimately checked for guns and dope?

If you don't open the car, what happens if they pull a gun on you like they did to at least one victim we know of?

Really CG, I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here. I know that you have a lot of experience driving in this country. I'd really be interested in how you'd handle this.

Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue May 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Life or death unsure? I would give them what they want! I prefer to see the sunrise!
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue May 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Only a fool would get carried away and state that they would do this or that while sitting behind a keyboard. You have already seen one "macho" response and maybe that is the preferred recourse?

As for us, we would definitely avoid this stretch of highway in the early morning or late afternoon/evening hours. It might be prudent to look for a group of vehicles that one could join in with. And I think we might be inclined to continue driving until the next public place to pull over, like a Pemex station or such.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Tue May 29, 2012 2:51 pm

How much time can you save by taking that road ----> scratch
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue May 29, 2012 3:22 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Only a fool would get carried away and state that they would do this or that while sitting behind a keyboard. You have already seen one "macho" response and maybe that is the preferred recourse?

As for us, we would definitely avoid this stretch of highway in the early morning or late afternoon/evening hours. It might be prudent to look for a group of vehicles that one could join in with. And I think we might be inclined to continue driving until the next public place to pull over, like a Pemex station or such.

Just for the record, one of the two robbed in the last month was hit around mid-day on a Saturday. That surprised me too. These guys really must feel no one is going to deal with them.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue May 29, 2012 3:35 pm

RoofBob:

We have only driven that particular route one time. For me, it isn't a matter of how much time it saves but rather the ease of the drive and where it dumps one off in Tonala. Now for the contradiction: we tend not to worry about how long it takes to get anywhere when driving in Mexico but my personal form of defensive driving is that I drive as fast as I feel comfortable with and generally way above the "suggested speed limit". This tactic tends to reduce the opportunities for other vehicles to hit me from behind and I can concentrate on those in front of me. Besides, we have driven the "old route" so many times that it has become boring even though one has to really pay attention when negotiating the hill By El Tapatio and making all of the merges in both directions.

YMMV

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue May 29, 2012 3:46 pm

It saves about 20 minutes and a toll if used when the western end, towards Zapotlanejo is not too busy.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue May 29, 2012 4:01 pm

According to the following video which I took last August, it is a 5 minute and 6 second trip from Chapala to Tonala:

Just kidding folks! But it does show the traffic difference at about 9:30 to 10:00am along the alternate route.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue May 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Just spent some time wading through "Borderland Beat". Whew!
Man... the news can be deleterious to your health. Make you old before your time, and turn your hair white from the roots out.

Of course, Denver's not exactly crime free... or The Springs... get a body count every morning.
Don't make no difference to those caught in the crossfire. You can get killed just about anywhere... Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue May 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Oh! I never realized that getting hit from behind was such a problem here!

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue May 29, 2012 9:54 pm

Merry:

Not to worry, I operate under the same theory NOB! I must be doing something right since in 14 years of driving in Mexico and many thousands of miles, I haven't had so much as a scrape and I intend to maintain that record. Every day of driving is Mexico is a new challenge and quite a bit of fun when one takes the experience in the right vein.

I will say that no other country has provided me with the laughable experiences that Mexico has!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue May 29, 2012 10:33 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Merry:

Not to worry, I operate under the same theory NOB! I must be doing something right since in 14 years of driving in Mexico and many thousands of miles, I haven't had so much as a scrape and I intend to maintain that record. Every day of driving is Mexico is a new challenge and quite a bit of fun when one takes the experience in the right vein.

I will say that no other country has provided me with the laughable experiences that Mexico has!

folks should keep an emergency road kit in their cars ....

a second wallet with a modest amount of cash .... with an exploding dye pack in it!!

the squad car with the purple windows should be avoided at all costs....

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Wed May 30, 2012 1:31 am

Basketball Love it, where can I find I a dye pack? Basketball
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu May 31, 2012 8:58 am

An update: CSI has brought this problem up with the Federales. Hopefully, they will shut these cop theives down like they did when they were operating on the main road.

If you have been the victim of a fake stop on that road and theft/extortion from people who appeared to be cops, please PM me with details so we can report this to the Federales. We don't need your name, just details as to time, date, and the MO (how they did it) plus any description of the perps you can offer.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu May 31, 2012 8:14 pm

Here's two reports, both fairly recent, I got from the other board:

Hi, the number on their car was TN362. This occurred on Saturday about 11:00am. There were 3 officers in the car. All 3 got out, approached our car. The driver rolled down the window and addressed them in Spanish. One of them asked where we were going, where we lived then asked the driver to get out of the car. The officer driected him to go to the back of the car. At this point I couldn't follow what happened. He got back in, went thru his money and told us that 200 pesos were missing out of 1000 he started with, all in $200 bills. Then another officer approached the opposite side of the car where I was sitting in back. He motioned for me to get out of the car. He took me to the back of the car also, asked if I spoke Spanish. I said I did not. Another officer moved to my left and started putting his hand in my left pocket. At the same time, the first officer put his hand in my right pocket, took out my money. The officer on my left began really rufflng through my left pocket, making a lot of noise. I turned to him and what he was doing thinking how strange it was that he kept ruffling in this same pocket for so long. The officer on my right then gave me back my money. I didn't look at it, just put it back in my pocket. Then the officer on my right pulled out my wallet from my back pocket and began going thru it in front of me making sure I saw what he was doing. He then gave that back to me. During this search, one officer asked me in English if I did drugs and if i had any guns. I replied in the negative to both questions. I was directed to get back in the car. Then an officer directed the third and final male of our group to get out of the car. He is a native Spanish speaker and was not searched.
All back in the car, we drove off. Later on back home, I discovered I was missing 500 pesos.

------------------------------------

This one was much more threatening IMO

This is a brief version. Happened around 8:30 am about a mile from the turn off. Very early April, Maybe March 31st, not sure of the date.

We got home on Tuesday night. The trip was uneventful except for the new GDL bypass. Local police stopped us and made us get out of the car. We had to put our hands on the car and spread eagle. They patted us down and asked if we had any guns. They searched our car, stole our Toll money and stole our computers. We were nervous wrecks after that. They tried to get us to drive off the highway and down to a dirt road but I didn't. They had the whole thing very orchestrated. We didn't know what they had done until they were gone. Thank God we hid some extra money in our luggage or we would not have had enough money for the trip out of Mexico (gas and tolls).

---------------------------------------
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:23 am

Here's another report:

Date and time of day? Tuesday, December 13, 2011, approx. 11:30am – Driving back to Ajijic from Tonala.

Approximate location: The highway just past the GDL airport and about 10 minutes from making the connection with the Chapala Highway. We were in the center lane; not exceeding the speed limit. We had purchased tiles in Tonala for a remodel job at our house.

MO of the cops. We drove past these 4 cops. They had a Mexican truck pulled over under the overpass. When we drove by they all turned from talking with the Mexican driver and looked at us. I told my husband “Oh, oh, here they come.” He said why would they as we had done nothing to justify being stopped. They”dogged” us for about 2 miles (intimidation) before their lights and siren when on. They were in a blue truck marked “MUNICIPALES”. 4 men in blue uniforms with arms.

Did they give you that BS about looking for guns and dope? They said nothing about guns or dope. They did accuse my husband of being “drunk”. They told my husband to get out of the car, they planted him with his arms up, legs spread eagle against the car and “frisked” him. They made him take items out of his pockets, including his wallet. My husband would not let them handle his wallet. They made him open the back of the SUV and did a search although there was nothing back there. They told my husband to put his wallet on the bumper; he refused and put it back in his pocket. Since we had just made a purchase there was not much money in his wallet (or in mine either.) Meanwhile a cop was in the driver seat next to me. He said my husband was drunk. I said we both were sipping on Cokes and had nothing alcoholic to drink (especially at 11:30 am). He sniffed the Coke cans. He made me open the glove compartment, and the console. When cop#1 was having no success with me cop#2 told cop#1 to get out and cop#2 got in beside me. He took my purse, opened all the zipper compartments and took out items and threw them at me. He asked where we had been and where we were going. He made me show the receipt for the tile purchase. I showed him both my USA drivers license and my MX license. I was worried sick for my husband as I could not see him as they had him on the drivers side toward the rear of the SUV in the “blind spot”. The second cop continued to bully me and I kept asking him what we had done to merit this treatment. He continued to yell “ID, ID” and distract me while he finished going through my purse. After what seemed like forever (perhaps 15 minutes) he rudely pushed my purse back to me and my husband was allowed to get back in the car and they told us to leave. My husband commented that we were lucky that they did not demand “mordida”. It was then that I looked in the side zipper compartment of my purse where I had “stashed” 3 x 500 peso bills (TOTAL 1500 pesos) and, of course, the money was gone. So they did get their mordida and we got a very bad taste for the police in Mexico! We don’t recall nametags, just rifles, flak vests and the blue uniforms.

My husband is 65 years with grey hair; I am 68. We were a “target of opportunity. There was no “valid” reason for them to stop us.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm finding this stuff very disturbing. It's either a flagrant abuse of law enforcement or they are impostor thugs.

Are these episodes being reported??? Is there an 'official' response?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:07 pm

MC:

I think most of us realize that this has become your "mission" but if you are going to do a complete job, how about determining the percentage or likelihood of one being affected. By the way, I asked the question if this stretch of highway was even within the Tonala City limits since allegations are that these actions are being undertaken by Tonala Police and yourself and others have chosen to ignore the question.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jackak10 Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:08 pm

If these are real federal police, then any thoughts you might have of a safe life here should be gone.

jackak10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:15 pm

jackak10 wrote:If these are real federal police, then any thoughts you might have of a safe life here should be gone.

A.) We don't know at this time if they are federal police or fake police.
B.) Kind of simple to avoid the road in question.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:25 pm

jackak10 wrote:If these are real federal police, then any thoughts you might have of a safe life here should be gone.

Federal police have authority in Manzanillo too. What a stupid comment that was. You initially started with some good stuff but are scrapping the bottom of the barrel with some of your comments lately.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by jackak10 Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:37 pm

CanuckBob wrote:

Federal police have authority in Manzanillo too. What a stupid comment that was. You initially started with some good stuff but are scrapping the bottom of the barrel with some of your comments lately.
I am aware that there are Federal police in Manzanillo, and my comment stands. Who can you go to for safety if the police at the highest level are robbing people? And calling me "stupid" was unnecessary.

jackak10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:43 pm

I called your comment stupid not you. Most Mexicans I know don't seem to trust the police at any level. Talk with your Mexican neighbors. This is nothing new and certainly not restricted to this part of Mexico.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by jackak10 Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:56 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I called your comment stupid not you. Most Mexicans I know don't seem to trust the police at any level. Talk with your Mexican neighbors. This is nothing new and certainly not restricted to this part of Mexico.
A distinction without a difference. I know that Mexicans don't trust the police. I don't trust the police in the US but I don't expect to be physically assaulted and robbed by them.

We visited Chapala for a week two Thanksgivings ago and really liked it. For months we checked out real estate web sites and made some trips there to look at property. Then somehow it began to darken. We still looked, but something was changing. Now? It's too much for us. I don't know why I keep looking on these boards, my wife quit a long time ago. I guess, believe it or not, that I'm looking for posts telling how the mayor, or governor, or police chief, or SOMEONE is actually doing something to stop it. What I see from the politicians is that we should not post anything negative, in the name of "security".

You (and others) don't like my comments. You are committed to staying there, and that is your choice. I've spent my whole life not having to hide behind walls with broken glass and razor wire on top, and I'm not going to start now.

I'm sure this post will draw many responses about how stupid I am, and how Detroit is more dangerous, and how terrible Manzanillo is. Heard them all already.

jackak10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:07 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:MC:

I think most of us realize that this has become your "mission" but if you are going to do a complete job, how about determining the percentage or likelihood of one being affected. By the way, I asked the question if this stretch of highway was even within the Tonala City limits since allegations are that these actions are being undertaken by Tonala Police and yourself and others have chosen to ignore the question.

Why do you think you need to post like this complete with another one of your snide, personal snipes? Really, what is your problem?? What a non-contributory post. How the hell would anyone be able to answer that question?

Perhaps if you lived here and used the local roads a lot more, you'd be a little more concerned and a little less cavalier.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:10 pm

I am headed out the door to the closest church to say a Novena to St. Jude to protect a close friend who was driving this route to/from Tonala today.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next