INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching

+28
Milena
sandykayak
Vivavida28
Axixic
Luisa
Smartalex
Parker
ferret
slainte39
merry
jackak10
Mainecoons
Grizzy
juanrey
David
twelveoaks
quiltbugj
johninajijic
sambrit10
Zedinmexico
Trailrunner
gringal
sparks
CanuckBob
hockables
espĂ­ritu del lago
CheenaGringo
GordyM
32 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching - Page 2 Empty Re: New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching

Post by David Thu May 31, 2012 11:11 am

I'm no expert, just speaking from my personal experience. I stated only facts about FOM and Judy King. Now Gordy's got options and he can decide for himself. Your rush to judge me was uncalled for.

Last edited by David on Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total

David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching - Page 2 Empty Re: New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching

Post by GordyM Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 am

I appreciate all of the comments in this thread and I am digesting all of it. Because in the very end..... I will be the one to make the decision what works best for me.

So keep the thoughts coming that made you "make the move" to where you live now.

Take care,
Gordy
GordyM
GordyM

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Thu May 31, 2012 11:22 am

As with all forums, there is a diversity of opinion and huge differences in style of getting ones point across, so the reader has to read and judge for themselves. These forums, and this one in particular provide a ton of information for someone interested in coming down, or checking the area out. But, the reader has to figure out what to do on their own, it's a personal decision.
Lots of folks like Focus on Mexico, others think it's a waste of money, check it out and make your own decision. I chose to establish some friendships with various forum members prior to coming down for a visit, and when I got here they provided me with a wealth of information. To my way of thinking I saved a bunch of money doing it on my own, but that's me.
Some advice I received and found to be very good advice was, make several (more than 1) trips down and check out the rainy season and the hot season, they are quite different. Trip 1 you might want to do a B&B, there are plenty of them, Trip 2 you might want to check out VRBO and rent an apartment and see what it is like living here for a while.
Right now everyone is a little tense and we're all hopeful things will return to normal soon. Good luck on your investigating the area, it has a lot to offer.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching - Page 2 Empty Disagree

Post by quiltbugj Thu May 31, 2012 12:34 pm

David wrote:That will probably take you to "Focus on Mexico" who's in the business of selling real estate. Take Judy King's seminar for $15 and you'll learn what you need, get your questions answered, and not be given a pitch for anything. 2-3 hours well spent.

I disagree wrt your belief that FOM is in the business of selling real estate. They do not, as far as I know, employ real estate agents. The many people we met, and now consider friends, are available to answer any questions. At no point did I ever experience pressure -and, in fact, just the opposite. I believe they get some type of referral fee if a sale goes through but I was not directed to only certain developments. The person we were paired with is currently helping me pick out tiles, is visiting stores and sending me pictures, is going to take me shopping for furniture and I'm not paying her a cent.

It all depends on how much you want to do on your own and how much you want some hand holding. We are a very busy couple who have lived in Europe and traveled extensively - we could have done it for ourselves, but this was the best avenue for us.
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 31, 2012 12:54 pm

Perhaps I should have used the word "promotes" rather than "sells." Just fact not meant as negative criticism. I certainly did not say that they employ real estate agents. They get referral fees from several of the businesses they take visitors.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by GordyM Thu May 31, 2012 1:13 pm

To keep this thread on topic..... I agree with all about spending some time at Lake Chapala / Ajijic

Could I get some recommendations on a place to stay for 2 weeks? Right now 2 weeks is all I can accommodate in my schedule. But it should give me a good "first impression" look at the area.

Thanks once again for all of the feedback I have been getting from everyone.

Gordy
GordyM
GordyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Thu May 31, 2012 1:18 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
GordyM wrote:I want to thank everyone who has replied. I have a lot of reading to do and educate myself.

Take care

By far the best education is to simply come down for a month or two and check it out for yourself. There is a ton of short term rental places available and many members here who would be happy to show you around.

Best advice ever! Come down for a month or so, meet up with the fine folks on this site, look around and get a feel for the place. I believe that visitors know within a day here if they can live here or not.

I moved here alone a year and a half ago (female) and have never felt unsafe here, even given the recent issues. I still go out at night and go everywhere without paranoia but everyone has a different threshold for safety.

You will learn a lot of valuable lessons in how to move here by talking to expats and we are all over town and almost always love to chat with newcomers.

Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu May 31, 2012 4:11 pm

Don't study it to death. Wait until the rains start and come on down and check it out personally. Do a lot of walking in the towns and take some drives around the lake and into GDL. Get some idea of what kind of life style you might like--village living with more noise but the ability to walk to most stores and services, or hillside frac living with higher security, more views, but more dependence on the car.

This really is a major life style change from living in the U.S. Weather is much less of a factor in planning your days and trips. Some things are cheaper, some things more expensive, many things harder to find, many things you'll find you can do without.

We're hooked on it. Matter of fact, I'm getting off this computer and go swim laps in the pool!
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching - Page 2 Empty Safe? (reprise)

Post by sambrit10 Thu May 31, 2012 8:19 pm

Okay, I keep reading these posts and I'm still having a hard time believing how everyone seems to be just ignoring the elephant in the room ... and I can see I was too delicate in the way I phrased my previous post about safety.

GordyM, I don't want you to pay the money and take the time to come down here and check it out without being fully informed, and as I'm not sure you referenced any of the sources I mentioned I want to make things clear. In the last week of April and first week of May, a drug cartel kidnapped and then murdered 18 of Lakeside's young men and woman (as young as 17), none of whom have a known connection to the cartels, and left their decapitated bodies in a couple of pickup trucks near the highway leading out of town.

They took these people by gunpoint from the side of the highway while walking home from work, from the Malecon (lakeside pier) while playing basketball, etc.

Nothing like this had happened here before although drug incidents have been escalating in Guadalajara for some time. Mexican parents here are now understandably terrified for the safety of their children.

The state police, federal police and army have all established a presence here for a while. Arrests have been made and hideouts (with caches of weapons) raided. There have already been a couple of incidents that sound like the police have been getting a bit heavy-handed in their investigations.

Extortion of local businesses has become a booming trade with some 300 cases acted on by the police in the last few weeks according to their own website.

I am in California now but was in Ajijic during the first three weeks of May. The fear was palpable. Streets and the usually busy Malecon were deserted as dark approached. Some schools were temporarily closed. Restaurants were deserted (I know, it's low season, but the restaurant owners said it was a dramatic dropoff even for May). My husband and I did continue to go out every day and walk home in the evenings but not after dark, which we would have done on previous visits.

I admire the woman who said she has never felt unsafe even during this time, but I'm not sure her feeling of safety is warranted. No "gringos" have been kidnapped, although one was held temporarily when he chanced across the kidnappers with some of their victims in the hills, and his dog was shot and killed. He is in hiding and leaving town. But just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't, as the latest incidents clearly show. We definitely observed a lot more caution on our last visit and never had any issues, but we were nervous sometimes, and of course we were deeply affected by the shock and sadness and fear of the local population.

Having said this, I'll add, as I said before, that my husband and I plan to return in October to live, unless things escalate again. If you'd asked a few months ago I would've said that this series of events would have turned us away from living in Ajijic, but there's something about it that draws us back anyway, not the least of which the many friends we have already made here, gringo and Mexican both. So I'm not saying "don't come." Everyone's level of tolerance is different. I just think you should know all the facts before you spend time (which sounds in short supply for you right now) and money coming down to investigate.

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jackak10 Thu May 31, 2012 8:28 pm

sambrit10 wrote:Okay, I keep reading these posts and I'm still having a hard time believing how everyone seems to be just ignoring the elephant in the room ... and I can see I was too delicate in the way I phrased my previous post about safety.

GordyM, I don't want you to pay the money and take the time to come down here and check it out without being fully informed, and as I'm not sure you referenced any of the sources I mentioned I want to make things clear. In the last week of April and first week of May, a drug cartel kidnapped and then murdered 18 of Lakeside's young men and woman (as young as 17), none of whom have a known connection to the cartels, and left their decapitated bodies in a couple of pickup trucks near the highway leading out of town.

They took these people by gunpoint from the side of the highway while walking home from work, from the Malecon (lakeside pier) while playing basketball, etc.

Nothing like this had happened here before although drug incidents have been escalating in Guadalajara for some time. Mexican parents here are now understandably terrified for the safety of their children.

The state police, federal police and army have all established a presence here for a while. Arrests have been made and hideouts (with caches of weapons) raided. There have already been a couple of incidents that sound like the police have been getting a bit heavy-handed in their investigations.

Extortion of local businesses has become a booming trade with some 300 cases acted on by the police in the last few weeks according to their own website.

I am in California now but was in Ajijic during the first three weeks of May. The fear was palpable. Streets and the usually busy Malecon were deserted as dark approached. Some schools were temporarily closed. Restaurants were deserted (I know, it's low season, but the restaurant owners said it was a dramatic dropoff even for May). My husband and I did continue to go out every day and walk home in the evenings but not after dark, which we would have done on previous visits.

I admire the woman who said she has never felt unsafe even during this time, but I'm not sure her feeling of safety is warranted. No "gringos" have been kidnapped, although one was held temporarily when he chanced across the kidnappers with some of their victims in the hills, and his dog was shot and killed. He is in hiding and leaving town. But just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't, as the latest incidents clearly show. We definitely observed a lot more caution on our last visit and never had any issues, but we were nervous sometimes, and of course we were deeply affected by the shock and sadness and fear of the local population.

Having said this, I'll add, as I said before, that my husband and I plan to return in October to live, unless things escalate again. If you'd asked a few months ago I would've said that this series of events would have turned us away from living in Ajijic, but there's something about it that draws us back anyway, not the least of which the many friends we have already made here, gringo and Mexican both. So I'm not saying "don't come." Everyone's level of tolerance is different. I just think you should know all the facts before you spend time (which sounds in short supply for you right now) and money coming down to investigate.
Prepare to be flamed by the people who feel that since they have not personally been chainsawed to death, it doesn't matter.

jackak10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 31, 2012 8:31 pm

Sad but true, all of what sambrit10 says. And more.

There are two big events that are about to take place that may escalate this situation or may stabilize it.

One is the national election the first of July and the other is when the local patrolling by the military, fed, and state law enforcement slow down and stop.

So, it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Thu May 31, 2012 8:43 pm

jackak10 wrote:
sambrit10 wrote:Okay, I keep reading these posts and I'm still having a hard time believing how everyone seems to be just ignoring the elephant in the room ... and I can see I was too delicate in the way I phrased my previous post about safety.

Prepare to be flamed by the people who feel that since they have not personally been chainsawed to death, it doesn't matter.

Yes, that's right, I have not been chainsawed to death yet and I cannot even hear the music or hear the people screaming at me to not open that door.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu May 31, 2012 9:36 pm

For the folks that see the elephant in the room.
How much hand wringing, nail biting, wailing, etc. do the rest of us have to do to make you happy.
"just because something hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it won't"...what a way to live a life.
NO THANK YOU
Hope you don't consider this being "flamed"

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 31, 2012 9:52 pm

If you want Gordy to have "all the facts" then you should tell him that 6 of the victims were from Lakeside, not all 18.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrit10 Thu May 31, 2012 9:55 pm

slainte39 wrote:For the folks that see the elephant in the room.
How much hand wringing, nail biting, wailing, etc. do the rest of us have to do to make you happy.
"just because something hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it won't"...what a way to live a life.
NO THANK YOU

No, I don't consider this being flamed. And I don't want to get off topic from the original intention of the post, but...
You don't have to do anything at all to make me happy. Not your responsibility.
But anyone who didn't do at least some hand wringing over this terrible tragedy doesn't strike me as quite human. And it's too soon for me to shrug it off. Those who lost children will have to live with this forever.
I like to think I'm looking at the situation somewhat realistically ... the elephant IS there, no matter that I wish it wasn't ... and choosing to act in the way appropriate for me, which will probably be to return to Lakeside.
Live your life how you want and I'll do the same.
I just wanted GordyM to know the full situation before investing in a trip south. He is now free to choose for himself, but at least he's fully informed.

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Thu May 31, 2012 9:57 pm

NO THANK YOU

I don't buy my clothes at the pollyanna store. I refuse to live in fear. I would not consider living in 90% of the USA as I consider the random everyday violence far far more of a real threat than anything that might happen here. I am not denying the violence that has plagued Mexico and Lakeside recently but I refuse to play into the drama and fear.

Everyone has to find their own comfort level and feel safe where they live. But those of us who are realists, who know what is going on around us and do not run around screaming the sky is falling get a bit tired of the snide comments by folks who are afraid and who assume if everyone is not freaking out then we either don't know what is going on or have our heads in the sand.

I GET IT. I do not ignore the elephant in the room. I dance around it.

I repeat my observation that those people who didn't go out at night, or drive across lakeside, never mind to Guad or other places in the past do not do so now and assume no one does because they do not know. It is so much more titillating to spread the rumours about doom and gloom, curfews and schools closing (neither of which happened despite whoever's cousins sisters drivers maids hairdresser swears it did).

The media has made huge sensational headlines about how unsafe Mexico is for years. It moves around and it hit this area. It is tragic and sad. I refuse to let fear stop me from living. I do what I do and I feel safe. Your perception can be different and you are entitled to it. Do not speak for everyone else and assume we are dumb, naive or wrong.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 31, 2012 10:08 pm

sambrit10 wrote:
NO THANK YOU

No, I don't consider this being flamed. And I don't want to get off topic from the original intention of the post, but...
You don't have to do anything at all to make me happy. Not your responsibility.
But anyone who didn't do at least some hand wringing over this terrible tragedy doesn't strike me as quite human. And it's too soon for me to shrug it off. Those who lost children will have to live with this forever.
I like to think I'm looking at the situation somewhat realistically ... the elephant IS there, no matter that I wish it wasn't ... and choosing to act in the way appropriate for me, which will probably be to return to Lakeside.
Live your life how you want and I'll do the same.
I just wanted GordyM to know the full situation before investing in a trip south. He is now free to choose for himself, but at least he's fully informed.

IMO, "Handwringing" usually occurs when one is worried about their own or their loved ones personal safety or situation. I have done zero handwringing. At this point I am not worried in the least for my personal safety and have not changed any plans or conducted myself any differently. Could this change for me? Sure it could, but not at the moment.

I do however feel horrible and very sad for the Mexican community who this has affected greatly. If I could somehow help them I most certainly would but at this point it is not our fight. The bad guys have made that clear on a few occasions. Most recently when they released the gringo they grabbed by accident. Us gringos have not been included in the cross-hairs (yet) and I hope it remains that way.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu May 31, 2012 10:15 pm

Boy am I with you Grizzy.

"Live your life how you want and I'll do the same".....Thank you

"Everyone just seems to be ignoring the elephant"....Can't speak for eveyone, but I am, if there is an elephant.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 31, 2012 10:19 pm

Everyone has a different tolerance for danger and personal security. The current affairs has crossed that threshold for many that live here. I feel bad for them but they should consider going elsewhere versus living in fear. I know the first day we become scared we are out of here.......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu May 31, 2012 10:24 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Everyone has a different tolerance for danger and personal security. The current affairs has crossed that threshold for many that live here. I feel bad for them but they should consider going elsewhere versus living in fear. I know the first day we become scared we are out of here.......

I worry more about being run over by a Drunk..... than an Elephant

Last edited by hockables on Thu May 31, 2012 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 31, 2012 10:28 pm

And I worry about drinking and driving sooooooo............????????
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu May 31, 2012 10:34 pm

Please grant the OP some credit and intelligence to have read other parts of this forum. Nobody is/was hiding anything. I'm sure he also reads the U.S. and/or Canadian media as well.
Good, bad and ugly...we're not moving...and we are renting not stuck here like some who own homes but would like to sell.
The only book available to us about Mexico in '95 was "Choose Mexico" by John Howell. The internet has made it much easier to find information of use. Come for a visit, check it out and see if it suits you.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 31, 2012 10:48 pm

Hear, hear.......Come for a visit, stay for a lifetime.

Viva Mexico!!!!

mariachi

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching - Page 2 Empty His decision

Post by sambrit10 Thu May 31, 2012 11:11 pm

By bringing up the "elephant", I didn't mean in any way to tell GordyM how he should feel about it.
Nor did I mean to generate a firestorm of people calling each other cowardly or in denial. Everyone is absolutely entitled to their own reaction and own decisions.
I tried to state the facts as I knew them ... corrections welcome for anyone who has more recent / accurate info.
I just felt that if I was in the same position as GordyM, it would be something I'd definitely want to know. He can take it from here.

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 31, 2012 11:25 pm

I am too lazy to re-read all 4 pages but I don't think anyone was called "cowardly" were they?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:02 am

I am afraid of a drunken elephant running me over now Smokealot

Gordy is hearing all the horror stories possible from his friends and family from NoB already. How many of us moved here without about 200 well wishers warning us we would be beheaded and robbed after we were sold a time share if we set one toe in Mexico?

*needs therapy for when the circus is in town again now*
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next