INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching

+28
Milena
sandykayak
Vivavida28
Axixic
Luisa
Smartalex
Parker
ferret
slainte39
merry
jackak10
Mainecoons
Grizzy
juanrey
David
twelveoaks
quiltbugj
johninajijic
sambrit10
Zedinmexico
Trailrunner
gringal
sparks
CanuckBob
hockables
espĂ­ritu del lago
CheenaGringo
GordyM
32 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching - Page 4 Empty Re: New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:52 am

There are members on this board that have rentals that may be able to help.

OR

www.vrbo.com

OR

Or just google "rental in Chapala" for a large list of rental agents.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching - Page 4 Empty Re: New to this website. Looking to retire to Lake Chapala and need coaching

Post by GordyM Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:57 am

johninajijic wrote:
GordyM wrote:Where can I find a nice one bedroom with a kitchen for a month or two?

Thanks,
Gordy

If the Casita next door to me is empty, you could rent that at $ 450 a month, much cheaper and nicer than any B & B. It is empty now. What dates are you coming?

Not really sure of my dates just yet. How do I get to see some pictures of the "Casita next door to me"?

Thanks,
Gordy
GordyM
GordyM

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:00 am

Gordy:

You might check out: http://century21accessmex.com/component/option,com_estateagent/Itemid,55/act,cat/task,showCE/id,6/limit,10/limitstart,0/
If you look at the ones labeled: Villa Maria Jose, these are all recently renovated units and in most cases you would probably be the very first renter. It appears that they offer two different sized units for $350 to $550USD/month. You don't mention your vehicle intentions but one would want their own vehicle since these are located quite a walk from the bus line.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:10 am

We may have availability depending on your dates: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7341028@N04/
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GordyM Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:34 am

Also I was wondering..... where do most of you store your valuables? (passport, credit cards, cash, etc......)

Seeing I will be spend a couples of months in the area, do you suggest a safe deposit box at a local bank?

Thanks,
Gordy
GordyM
GordyM

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:39 am

They do not have safety deposit boxes at the banks here, so I was told. Some rental places have safes or you can find you own safe "stash" within your rental place.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:44 am

Gordy, scroll up a couple of posts to RoofBob's offer. Good place, good location, great people who will be able to answer all your questions with experience and intelligence and no hidden agenda.

Suerte.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GordyM Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Gordy, scroll up a couple of posts to RoofBob's offer. Good place, good location, great people who will be able to answer all your questions with experience and intelligence and no hidden agenda.

Suerte.

Once I come up with some solid dates I will get in touch with RoofBob..... Thanks for the tip.

Gordy
GordyM
GordyM

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrit10 Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:33 am

Gordy, for a longish short term stay I would recommend contacting Casa Del Sol. The hotel itself is very nice, regular hotel-sized rooms but lots of room in the facility to hang out (various patios and a wonderful mirador). But even better is the upstairs apartment across the street. We stayed there and loved it! Very roomy, full kitchen, patio, nicely decorated, and it felt very secure. A little pricier than some of the options noted here but you absolutely can't beat the location, and you also have access to the mirador and pool and everything at the hotel plus maid service once a week.

If the apartment is already rented I think they can refer you to some other long-vacation rentals right near that same location.

I was the one who posted about the crime but I have to say I'm glad you're going to try it out anyway. We still plan to return there to live in October having made the decision that the positives of the place outweigh the negatives. I just thought it was something you should know.

I hope you have a great visit to the area!

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GordyM Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:50 am

sambrit10 wrote:Gordy, for a longish short term stay I would recommend contacting Casa Del Sol. The hotel itself is very nice, regular hotel-sized rooms but lots of room in the facility to hang out (various patios and a wonderful mirador). But even better is the upstairs apartment across the street. We stayed there and loved it! Very roomy, full kitchen, patio, nicely decorated, and it felt very secure. A little pricier than some of the options noted here but you absolutely can't beat the location, and you also have access to the mirador and pool and everything at the hotel plus maid service once a week.

If the apartment is already rented I think they can refer you to some other long-vacation rentals right near that same location.

I was the one who posted about the crime but I have to say I'm glad you're going to try it out anyway. We still plan to return there to live in October having made the decision that the positives of the place outweigh the negatives. I just thought it was something you should know.

Is this the place you are referring to? http://casadelsolinn.com/

Thanks,
Gordy
GordyM
GordyM

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrit10 Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:18 pm

GordyM wrote:
sambrit10 wrote:Gordy, for a longish short term stay I would recommend contacting Casa Del Sol. The hotel itself is very nice, regular hotel-sized rooms but lots of room in the facility to hang out (various patios and a wonderful mirador). But even better is the upstairs apartment across the street. We stayed there and loved it! Very roomy, full kitchen, patio, nicely decorated, and it felt very secure. A little pricier than some of the options noted here but you absolutely can't beat the location, and you also have access to the mirador and pool and everything at the hotel plus maid service once a week.

Is this the place you are referring to? http://casadelsolinn.com/

Thanks,
Gordy

Yes, Gordy, this is the place. Under "Rooms and Rates" check out the two apartments listed at the very bottom. The last one is the one across the street where we stayed. The other is inside the hotel, very nice but somewhat lacks privacy. The owner if very easy to work with!

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:58 pm

Probably the highest priced place in Ajijic.

Renting a Casita in Ajijic or wherever at $ 500 a month is only $ 16.66 a night and larger than any room.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:36 pm

And in Chapala for 17.44 a night you get a 2 bd. 1 ba. 1,600 sq. ft. apt. all inclusive w/private patio and entrance. And of course Chapala has been designated the most desirable place to live by the Intergalactic Tourist Federation.
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Also check www.vrbo.com
Search for Chapala or Ajijic
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrit10 Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:20 pm

johninajijic wrote:Probably the highest priced place in Ajijic.

Renting a Casita in Ajijic or wherever at $ 500 a month is only $ 16.66 a night and larger than any room.

Yes, I did say it was a bit pricey (if you're referring to Casa Del Sol) but the apartment is I think $800 a month for a longer term stay, so not outrageous, and it's not just a room, it's at least 1000 sf with bedroom, bathroom, patio, large living room, kitchen, and office. The thing that really recommends it to me is the location, but I also liked the view, the layout, and the amenities. Again, just throwing stuff out there ... Gordy's a grownup, he'll make the choice that's best for him.

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:18 am

Gordy M - My Casita just became available on August 1st. If you're coming in off seson, it is $ 430 a month or in season, it is $ 450 a month. You can see my new ad posted in the For Sale/Rent section now. Off season is $ 14.33 a day. In season is $ 15 a day. You won't find anything in a Safe and secure upscale gated Community in Ajijic like this. We have NEVER had a robbery in the Community. It is totally all inclusive. No extras to pay for. On the busline. Posting my ad now.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:01 pm

If you stay at John's place you will need a car. If you stay at Casa del Sol or at Nueva Posada, you won't.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:11 pm

binky wrote:If you stay at John's place you will need a car. If you stay at Casa del Sol or at Nueva Posada, you won't.

You know nothing. I'm on the busline which is at the bottom of the hill and runs every 10 minutes. If you stay at either place above which is very noisy in town at their prices, you can take a lot of taxis from here and still save a lot of money. MYOB.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:16 pm

John:

One of the most effective sales techniques used by successful salesmen the world over is: to bad mouth one's competition!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:17 pm

That's a nice friendly answer John.........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:14 pm

johninajijic wrote:
binky wrote:If you stay at John's place you will need a car. If you stay at Casa del Sol or at Nueva Posada, you won't.

You know nothing. I'm on the busline which is at the bottom of the hill and runs every 10 minutes. If you stay at either place above which is very noisy in town at their prices, you can take a lot of taxis from here and still save a lot of money. MYOB.

The little buses run every 15 minutes like clockwork. Don't know the schedules for the big directo buses which don't
stop everywhere. So John you gave a wrong answer.

Don't you think MYOB was a little over the top???

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Here in Los Arroyos Sur (West Ajijic) I consider a car to be an essential. Not many people will be walking back up the hill with an armful of groceries. I would bet that every resident in here owns a car. If someone wants to be "car free" they are best served to be in the center of either Ajijic or Chapala. Yes, you have to put up with more noise but that is typical in any city center.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GordyM Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:41 pm

johninajijic wrote:Gordy M - My Casita just became available on August 1st. If you're coming in off seson, it is $ 430 a month or in season, it is $ 450 a month. You can see my new ad posted in the For Sale/Rent section now. Off season is $ 14.33 a day. In season is $ 15 a day. You won't find anything in a Safe and secure upscale gated Community in Ajijic like this. We have NEVER had a robbery in the Community. It is totally all inclusive. No extras to pay for. On the busline. Posting my ad now.

I see the listing but no pictures. Would you have any to share with me?

Thanks,
Gordy
GordyM
GordyM

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Don't you think this NEWBIE who knows nothing about Los Arroyos Sur should butt out. His comment was totally unnecessary. If anyone doesn't want to walk up and down the hill, they can get a taxi to their front door, one helluva lot cheaper than either Nuevo Posada or Casa del Sol. I couldn't believe Casa del Sols prices. I was shocked. Even Nuevo Posada is fairly high compared to other B & B's.

I can get a nice room in the US and Canada for $ 85 to $ 125 a night. This is not the US or Canada. Mexico has a cheap cost of living, taxes, help, etc.

Bottom line, my Casita is a bargain compared to ANY B & B in town and larger too with full appliances in a safe neighborhood. I'm already giving it away. I'll send some pics when I get around to it. No hurry. Gordy doesn't even know when he's coming.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrit10 Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:56 pm

johninajijic wrote:

Don't you think this NEWBIE who knows nothing about Los Arroyos Sur should butt out. His comment was totally unnecessary. If anyone doesn't want to walk up and down the hill, they can get a taxi to their front door, one helluva lot cheaper than either Nuevo Posada or Casa del Sol. I couldn't believe Casa del Sols prices. I was shocked. Even Nuevo Posada is fairly high compared to other B & B's.

I can get a nice room in the US and Canada for $ 85 to $ 125 a night. This is not the US or Canada. Mexico has a cheap cost of living, taxes, help, etc.

Bottom line, my Casita is a bargain compared to ANY B & B in town and larger too with full appliances in a safe neighborhood. I'm already giving it away. I'll send some pics when I get around to it. No hurry. Gordy doesn't even know when he's coming.

I'm still not sure where you're coming from on this, John. I said the Casa apartment rented for $800 a month when we were there -- half the price of a Nuevo Posada suite, according to their website -- and at a little over $25 a night, a long way from the $85 a night you mention. And that includes gas, electricity, and weekly maid service. They do have rooms at much higher rates but that's not what I was talking about.

Gordy, there are also many rental agencies that do short term rentals. My last short term rental was a very nice two-bedroom two bath house in the village near the lake for $650 a month, but they did charge another $200 for gas, electricity, and final cleanup and there was no maid service. I think this is pretty typical for short term rentals.

To me, being in a gated community would NOT be experiencing Ajijic, but I know everyone is different and wants something different from living here. I love being in the middle of things and although the noise kept me awake at first, I learned to sleep through and even enjoy the rockets and roosters. I love that most of the best restaurants, the tianguis market, El Torito, Farmacia Guadalajara, the plaza, the LCS and the malecon are all an easy (less than 10 minute) walk away. Since my closest friends here also live in the village it's easy to make plans to meet, and very easy to constantly run into people you know. And of course you're in the heart of the cultural events, which has its pros and cons.

But there is definitely something to be said for being up the hill with the view, and most gated communities have a pool and a clubhouse and social events. I feel kind of sequestered in those places, but it's all in what you want from your experience.

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:30 pm

God, I love this board. chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next