INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unfortunately, another black eye for Mexico

+18
Ocelot
rocky1
MexicoJimbo
bobnliz
Traveller
Flamingo
viajero
hound dog
brigitte
Axixic
Zedinmexico
gringal
seisdedos
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
itsme
johninajijic
alfnannie
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Unfortunately, another black eye for Mexico - Page 3 Empty Re: Unfortunately, another black eye for Mexico

Post by rocky1 Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:51 am

sorry all, I don't understand how the "quotes" work, hope you understand my response regarding the 5 reported on "Mexicovacationawareness"

rocky1

Back to top Go down

Unfortunately, another black eye for Mexico - Page 3 Empty Re: Unfortunately, another black eye for Mexico

Post by slainte39 Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:35 am

Is this lengthy post a plea for Canadians (and others), not to travel or vacation in Mexico.
Or is it just a warning about awareness that I suppose anybody should make themselves cognizant of.

There are millions of tourists visiting Mexico.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:36 am

Too long and everything you posted is available on the website for those interested.

The last "victim" in your post had a medical emergency that caused his drowning. And they are complaining about the time it took for a lifeguard to get there, 3 minutes. These people are not trying to help others. Their intentions are to harm Mexico.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:00 am

It was very long... I bailed after two reports. I agree with Fingers here. One story and the website would have been plenty.
I do not understand your point , "rocky". Are you wishing to discourage travel to Mexico?
Why? Haven't you been watching the news up north. It is one dangerous place. US cities are not safe by any stretch of the imagination.
At least in Mexico the general population are not running around packing handguns... AND the imbeciles in the US can purchase a freakin' OUZI ot two if they want.
I got news for you "rocky"... you are SAFER in Mexico. JMHO. Unfortunately, another black eye for Mexico - Page 3 169387 Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:07 am

rocky1 - Your post sucks! It's waaaay too long to read. You've had your day in the sun over emphasizing how unsafe and dangerous Mexico is. IT IS NOT.

If you live in the US, you'd better get out off that very dangerous place with all the frigging nuts running around with automatic rifles and hundreds of rounds of ammo. And you can thank the NRA and your greedy gun shops for that.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:56 am

I would agree that Mexico does not follow the same safety practices and protocols as seen NOB. I imagine that this is largely in part to the fact that Mexico does not seem to entertain large lawsuits for those that injure themselves like they do NOB. I have seen many examples of unsafe situations (low railings, unmarked holes in the road or sidewalk, bare electrical wires hanging down, etc., etc., etc. We have all seen these things. There is no denying it. However I am a very strong proponent of being aware of your own surroundings and not expecting "the man" to protect you from everything. In fact that is something I admire about Mexico.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:24 am

Last Thanksgiving I was visiting a cousin in Pennsylvania and he told us about his neighbors/friends whose son died in Mexico after falling into an elevator shaft. Turns out that their neighbors are the Andrew Smith family mentioned in the previous long post.

There's no point in trying to tell a family who has lost a child that it could have happened anywhere, not only in Mexico. And you can't blame the family for sharing their story in hopes it will save another family's child.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:20 am

The big difference is that you wouldn't likely find an open elevator shaft being protected by a flimsy piece of plywood NOB. There would also be a multi million dollar lawsuit pending and a possible jail term for the contractor if there was.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:15 pm

And when in Mexico... we must fend for ourselves. L

bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rocky1 Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:55 am

[quote="bobnliz"]It was very long... I bailed after two reports. I agree with Fingers here. One story and the website would have been plenty.
I do not understand your point , "rocky". Are you wishing to discourage travel to Mexico?
Why? Haven't you been watching the news up north. It is one [u]dangerous[/u] place. US cities are not safe by any stretch of the imagination.
At least in Mexico the general population are not running around packing handguns... AND the imbeciles in the US can purchase a freakin' OUZI ot two if they want.
I got news for you "rocky"... you are SAFER in Mexico. JMHO. Unfortunately, another black eye for Mexico - Page 3 169387 Lizzy[/quote]

sorry bobnliz (and everyone else) on the length of the post, I should have sent the link.
BUT in response to your comment:
"At least in Mexico the general population are not running around packing handguns... AND the imbeciles in the US can purchase a freakin' OUZI ot two if they want."

The "general population" may not be, but the Mexican cartels most certainly are, and I am sure they can/have "purchase a freakin' OUZI or two". The carnage the Mexican drug cartels have shown can in no way can be compared to (the USA) "the general population packing handguns" In response, no I am not discouraging travel to Mexico, but I was amazed at the disrespect shown to the victims/families in these articles. Canuckbob was correct in saying that lawsuits may discourage this, however I do wonder if the lack of respect is not a "cartel" way of life in Mexico given the treatment of all the innocent Mexican victims of the drug wars.

rocky1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiness Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 am

Here we go again...................yeesh!

Guiness
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:20 am

As I stated before, we recently attended the funeral of an American killed in a car accident. His body was released promptly by the authorities and his funeral was the next day. No one was dicking around as mentioned in the articles so apparently the local "cartlel" wasn't lacking respect for the victim nor his family.

The last story said it took days for the US Consulate to contact them. How was the hospital personnel able to make contact so quickly? Something is a little fishy here.

The people who published their stories are seeking retribution and could care less how much harm that may bring to this country.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:29 am

rocky1 wrote:
bobnliz wrote:It was very long... I bailed after two reports. I agree with Fingers here. One story and the website would have been plenty.
Why? Haven't you been watching the news up north. It is one dangerous place. US cities are not safe by any stretch of the imagination.
I got news for you "rocky"... you are SAFER in Mexico. JMHO. Unfortunately, another black eye for Mexico - Page 3 169387 Lizzy

sorry bobnliz (and everyone else) on the length of the post, I should have sent the link.
BUT in response to your comment:
"At least in Mexico the general population are not running around packing handguns... AND the imbeciles in the US can purchase a freakin' OUZI ot two if they want."

The "general population" may not be, but the Mexican cartels most certainly are, and I am sure they can/have "purchase a freakin' OUZI or two". The carnage the Mexican drug cartels have shown can in no way can be compared to (the USA) "the general population packing handguns" In response, no I am not discouraging travel to Mexico, but I was amazed at the disrespect shown to the victims/families in these articles. Canuckbob was correct in saying that lawsuits may discourage this, however I do wonder if the lack of respect is not a "cartel" way of life in Mexico given the treatment of all the innocent Mexican victims of the drug wars.

Drug war, my Aunt Fanny! It's a war against the people.
They are the ones that suffer.... governments don't give a rat's ass about the people... not theirs... not ours. Disabuse yourself of that notion.
We would be growing industrial hemp like the rest of the world except for... who was it? DuPont? Greedy bastard wanted to corner the fiber market... so what do they do? Ban ALL hemp production... no more hemp fiber for rope,cloth, paper... no more oil, no more animal feed... no more fast-growing, cheap, renewable resource.
Wonder why they don't grow industrial hemp in Mexico? Oh, yeah... the good old USA forbids it.
Greatest country in the World? I don't think so. Big, bad, bully is more their speed. Shameful... Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:34 am

"Greatest country in the World? I don't think so. Big, bad, bully is more their speed. Shameful... Lizzy". . .

I'm with you on this, Lizzy!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:36 am

seisdedos wrote:As I stated before, we recently attended the funeral of an American killed in a car accident. His body was released promptly by the authorities and his funeral was the next day. No one was dicking around as mentioned in the articles so apparently the local "cartlel" wasn't lacking respect for the victim nor his family.

The last story said it took days for the US Consulate to contact them. How was the hospital personnel able to make contact so quickly? Something is a little fishy here.

The people who published their stories are seeking retribution and could care less how much harm that may bring to this country.

The 5 stories were written by parents who children were killed in Mexico:
an 8 year old;
a 9 year old;
a 16 year old;
a 22 year old;
one, age not given.

I guess you're not a parent.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:23 am

I am a parent and grandparent, so I can imagine the pain of losing a child, but on the other hand:

- I don't have access to the figures, but how many children in the U.S. drown in their own or a neighbor's swimming pool? How many people with children in their neighborhood have protective (and likely unsightly) fencing around their pools? How many people watch every minute when kids are in their pools? How many lifeguards are 100% on the job instead of socializing? How many beaches are accessible to the public with NO lifeguards?

-People who move to Mexico often accuse the U.S. of being a "nanny state", disparage the lawsuit-prone culture and approve of the "you're on your own here" attitude of Mexico. Fall in a hole in the street....and nobody to sue. Break your bones in a fall on the cobblestones.......and it's just too bad for you. Then there are railing-free steps in popular museums and public buildings, and so on and on. Mexico is one very hazardous place where you walk with eyes downcast for good reason.

So, while the events were both tragic and probably preventable, the entire structure of Mexican law would need to change before the resorts would be forced to take responsibility for the safety of their guests. And yes, I think people should be made aware that they shouldn't expect things to function in the same way as they do NOB, and be prepared for the lax security when they visit.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:29 am

Exactly!!!! Viva Mexico.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:53 am

gringal wrote:I am a parent and grandparent, so I can imagine the pain of losing a child, but on the other hand:

- I don't have access to the figures, but how many children in the U.S. drown in their own or a neighbor's swimming pool? How many people with children in their neighborhood have protective (and likely unsightly) fencing around their pools? How many people watch every minute when kids are in their pools? How many lifeguards are 100% on the job instead of socializing? How many beaches are accessible to the public with NO lifeguards?

-People who move to Mexico often accuse the U.S. of being a "nanny state", disparage the lawsuit-prone culture and approve of the "you're on your own here" attitude of Mexico. Fall in a hole in the street....and nobody to sue. Break your bones in a fall on the cobblestones.......and it's just too bad for you. Then there are railing-free steps in popular museums and public buildings, and so on and on. Mexico is one very hazardous place where you walk with eyes downcast for good reason.

So, while the events were both tragic and probably preventable, the entire structure of Mexican law would need to change before the resorts would be forced to take responsibility for the safety of their guests. And yes, I think people should be made aware that they shouldn't expect things to function in the same way as they do NOB, and be prepared for the lax security when they visit.

Exactly! That was my only point to seisdedos: that it's completely understandable that these parents are trying to warn other parents. Whereas he felt they were guilty of being bad tourism spokespeople.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Agree, Binky.
An obvious hazard can be dealt with once people are forewarned.

Over in San Miguel, touted as "safe", any facts about the environmental dangers are kept under wraps while the dangerous toxic waste produced by the brick ovens continues to pollute the air. (They're burning stuff you wouldn't believe, and it ain't wood and gas.) Real estate values might drop, for hevvins sakes. The bleeding hearts sympathize with the need for the polluters to make a living. Geesh. Raise property taxes to solve the problem? What a concept.

As always, letting hazardous conditions continue is the easy way out, and that's Mexico. This is hard for us expats to understand..........but it shouldn't be, when politicians NOB want to get rid of OSHA. Nothing new here. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:39 pm

The hazardous conditions continue in our town... The CalCo Plant across the Arkansas River keeps right on processing and bagging up Calcium Carbonate, at a loss monetarily... but will they close the huge, dust producing monstrosity?
Hell no!!! The EPA would make them clean up their mess... and that would be even more expensive than running the plant at a loss... can we say tax deduction?
So, they keep on drowning the homes between Tenderfoot Mtn and the river with a never-ending supply of silica dust... when it's not blowing into downtown.
And the folks that live there (in what is affectionately, if euphemistically known as Hollywood) are politically powerless. Let's hear it for the land of worship the Almighty Dollar. Phooey! Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:55 pm

binky wrote:

The 5 stories were written by parents who children were killed in Mexico:
an 8 year old;
a 9 year old;
a 16 year old;
a 22 year old;
one, age not given.

I guess you're not a parent.

Yep, I'm a parent. I've raised 3 children to adulthood in this most dangerous of places. I have lots of nieces and nephews here. We lost an infant niece to a tragic accident a number of years ago. Saddest day of my life. But tragic accidents such as hers happen everyday in countries all over the world.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Seisdedos,

I am sorry for the loss of your niece.

I can understand the parents whose child dies in an accident desire/instinct to lash out....at the premises where it occurred, at the laws or lack of laws they believe contributed to the death, at the Country where it happened.

Those are some very sad stories and I feel for the parents; I'm not saying MX is 'bad' because of it, or that it couldn't have just as easily happened in the US, etc.

But I can understand the parents' need to tell their stories and I don't think their ulitmate goal is to be compensated; no one can be compensated for the loss of a child.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3