INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS BOARD IS BECOMING MORE CIVIL

+12
gringal
David
Carry Bean
bennie#2
joec
gringomojado
viajero
barbicheesecake
arturo cuatro ojos
SunFan
CheenaGringo
Jim W
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

THIS BOARD IS BECOMING MORE CIVIL - Page 2 Empty Re: THIS BOARD IS BECOMING MORE CIVIL

Post by Carry Bean Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:20 am

We should be so lucky.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

THIS BOARD IS BECOMING MORE CIVIL - Page 2 Empty Re: THIS BOARD IS BECOMING MORE CIVIL

Post by gringal Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:15 am

Still, I don't think they would have depicted George and Laura Bush in that way, and with that bad grammar. It's funny, but it's also a tad racist. Just my take on it.

However, it that does the job of driving Bennie away.............hmmm.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:31 am

When any ethnicity can start laughing at bad, discriminatory jokes about them, bias is headed out the door. I think the Obamas are capable of doing this. As a youth I lived through a lot of stupid "Pat and Mike" jokes and am a better person for not getting derailed by such stuff.
And it's easy to self-evaluate yourself above stupidity.........sometimes Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sundown Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:54 am

Remember allof the bad jokes about Condoleeza Rice from her own race?

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:58 am

I don't agree there, but that may be the result of too many memories of seeing racism in action. It's ugly, whether it's happening to you or someone else.

I've been teased and bullied in my youth for other reasons, and I didn't consider it character improvement at the time, or later. Developing a tough hide might not be as rewarding as having a privileged life. If you handled it better than I did, Slainte, good on ya.
cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 am

I think it's all about developing self esteem and pride.....that's the shield.
Sure, I've had a lot of broken knuckles and a few scars in my "character development", but nothing permanently harmful....don't know about the privileged life.
Channeling prejudicial attacks into positive energy results in accomplishments like becoming President of the US, as proven by Irish-American Catholics and African-Americans. IMO

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:42 am

I was, of course, a girl. A very small one, so I didn't build self esteem with my fighting abilities, that's for sure. I did learn to run fast, and collected enough accomplishments along the way to feel good about myself as an adult.

I admire the Kennedys for their political achievements (not so much for a few other things) but on the other hand, they definitely had a privileged life from the get-go. I admire Obama far more, since his road was rocky from the beginning, but he made it to the top in spite of it.

Not everyone can channel attacks into positive energy. Many give up along the way. I believe that some people are just born strong. Good parenting (or grand parenting) helps.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Speaking of character building, do I have a story for you. My adoptive mother, who was shall we say (just to be kind) somewhat eccentric, decided for some unknown reason to alter my appearance. She started with a slightly chubby kid, then took my baby fine platinum blond hair and gave it a Toni home perm. The results were somewhat worse than disastrous. Well to add insult to injury, my eyesight wasn't too good, so off to the optometrist, where she picked out the absolutely worst pair of coke bottle glasses, you know, the kind that grannies wear. Blue, and they kinda went up at the sides like cat eyes.

Wait now, we're just getting warmed up. She then purchased a navy blue tunic, white blouse, black stockings, a garter belt and hideous black oxfords.

I went to public school by the way. So, every day from grade one to grade four I had to walk to school wearing this gawdawful getup. Laughs, oh yes there were plenty of those. I always tried to walk to school after everyone else had left in order to avoid any nasty comments.

Anyhow, in order to cope with this assault on my person, I became the school comic. This lasted right through both high school and university as well.

What did I learn from all this? A real belly laugh can get you through most things that life has to throw at you.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Gawd, I remember when my mother took me to a beauty parlor at about age 8 & made me get a poodle cut with an awful perm. Since I was terribly skinny, I looked like to Q-tip.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:04 pm

E-Raq's right: A good belly laugh will get you through most days, and making others laugh with you works even better. If you take yourself too seriously, you're in deep trouble on several levels. Good examples of that are right on this very board, and our nasty fingers itch to poke.

Now, about humiliating experiences: My mom really wanted a girly girl with little curls. What she got was a mudpie making tree climber. The Toni perms she subjected my very straight hair to lasted about 2 days before they collapsed.
Didn't have to worry about clothes much in Catholic school. They found a uniform that looked equally awful on everybody, dishwater blue with pleats in all the wrong places. Made E-Raq's ensemble look downright stylish.
Suspect

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:05 pm

E-raq wrote:
Anyhow, in order to cope with this assault on my person, I became the school comic. This lasted right through both high school and university as well.

What did I learn from all this? A real belly laugh can get you through most things that life has to throw at you.

Laughter can get you through anything. Don't think I would have survived childhood without it and I learned very early that I could make my mum laugh her way out of the tears.
BTW, I wore glasses from age three...I was called foureyes long before Arturo. I was also a latchkey kid who ate lunch alone in the school gym before getting turfed outside to wait for the other kids to return. Moved to a new school every year and it was hard to keep making new friends.
What doesn't kill ya, makes ya stronger.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:20 pm

delete

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:30 pm

bennie#2 wrote:delete

Your best post ever Bennie#2.....Probably won't be much debate on this one! Shit stirring
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:31 pm

debate.... please do.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:51 pm

bennie#2 wrote:debate.... please do.

Bennie, please sod off you bleedin' wanker.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:43 pm

thats what its there for. debate, do it.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:52 pm

bennie#2 wrote:thats what its there for. debate, do it.

OH PULEEEEZE send us to the Octagon....so we can MASTERBATE it! Shit stirring there is no debate Bennie#2......that was the best post you ever made

Last edited by Jim W on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:56 pm

I would vote for CB installing a delete button where members could vote to delete certain posts. Enough votes and assine posts simply disappear.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Jim W wrote:
bennie#2 wrote:delete

Your best post ever Bennie#2.....Probably won't be much debate on this one! Shit stirring

Bennie#2 No one will argue on your post....your best ever!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:12 pm

I thought Bennie was "out of here." Or maybe it's just "out there."

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Jim W wrote:
bennie#2 wrote:thats what its there for. debate, do it.

OH PULEEEEZE send us to the Octagon....so we can MASTERBATE it! Shit stirring there is no debate Bennie#2......that was the best post you ever made

OMG, Jim, we're in Mirador and headed toward Octagon. If it were in Octagon, I'd add to your post.

Your humour is just too funny!!!! ROTFLMFAO......

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:16 pm

John, Sometimes I crack myself up......tonight a combo plate.......whereeeeeeeeeees Benny? I think she pushed her "DELETE" button?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2