INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small LP tank fills

+2
ferret
The Postman
6 posters

Go down

Small LP tank fills Empty Small LP tank fills

Post by The Postman Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:24 am

I need a small LP tank filled. In the states it would be called a 20 lb tank. I know of the place along the lake past Chapala by the waste treatment plant but it is a long drive for one tank fill. I thought I read or heard of a place that is closer to get a tank filled. Is anyone aware of a new place to fill a small lp tank? I hope a closer lp place isn't wishful thinking on my part.
Thanks bill

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Small LP tank fills Empty Re: Small LP tank fills

Post by ferret Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:40 am

It's not wishful thinking...we too hated the drive out past Chapala.

You can now fill the small 20 lb. tanks at Z-Gas opposite El Torito/Salvador's/Farmacia Cristina. It is far less aggravating since the young man takes your tank, fills it and you pay him directly.
You can also swap tanks at the Napoleon Fireplace store which is (more or less) opposite Roberto's Restaurant on the highway in West Ajijic. The cost is greater though.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Postman Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:48 am

Thank you ferret.. I will go to Z- Gas as that is the closest distributer.
bill

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:55 am

Having dealt with the same issue, I eventually just purchased a tall cylinder and an adaptor for the hose. Certainly lasts a lot longer, although wouldn't fit under a standard NOB-style BBQ.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:28 am

We bought a 2nd tank.......making it EZ to swap and fill.....much more convenient. A good thing about the new fill up point across from El Torito is they have a gas guage so you only pay for gas received, unlike the plant where you pay flat rate as if the tank was completely empty.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 am

Jim W wrote:We bought a 2nd tank.......making it EZ to swap and fill.....much more convenient. A good thing about the new fill up point across from El Torito is they have a gas guage so you only pay for gas received, unlike the plant where you pay flat rate as if the tank was completely empty.
Even back home in my native Canada, we paid a flat rate... . Gotta love Mexico.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Postman Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:59 am

Just had the tank filled at Z-Gas Plant. The fill was 119 pesos or 6.6 per liter
bill

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Be aware those round shut off valves on mexican tanks have no overfill valve
like the US tanks with Triangle shut off valves. So be sure to tell the operator
if your tank is not empty so he doesn't overfill it.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapala Payaso Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:34 pm

I saw them fill a small tank once out by the lake filling station and they put it on a scale to see about the weight.

Chapala Payaso
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Postman Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:17 pm

I use to sell LP and weighing is the way to do it. Use to add 20 lbs to tare weight of the tank and when the scale hits the calculated weight it was full. Usually between 80-85% allowing for vaporization. I notice now in MN they add 17lbs to tare weight and call it full even if WC (water capacity) would allow for 20 lb of propane. Whether it was 17lbs or 20lbs the money was the same. Safety was the excuse even though every 8th tank was a freebe to the seller. If you think or are worried that your tank might be over filled put it on the bathroom scale and subtract the tare weight. Over 20lbs take it outside away from flames, sparks,etc. on a windy day and crack the valve to let someout. It will freeze anything in front of the noozle so be careful of the gas coming out.
,m gf vbn,/oiytra

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Postman Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:22 pm

I was going to preview but a fly landed :I swatted and posted. I was going to say if a person does this to be careful but it is better than putting an over filled tank on the Barby and watching it rise like a hot air ballon. They use the liquid propane to get enough heat to fill the ballons.

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:12 am

The Postman wrote:I use to sell LP and weighing is the way to do it. Use to add 20 lbs to tare weight of the tank and when the scale hits the calculated weight it was full. Usually between 80-85% allowing for vaporization. I notice now in MN they add 17lbs to tare weight and call it full even if WC (water capacity) would allow for 20 lb of propane. Whether it was 17lbs or 20lbs the money was the same. Safety was the excuse even though every 8th tank was a freebe to the seller. If you think or are worried that your tank might be over filled put it on the bathroom scale and subtract the tare weight. Over 20lbs take it outside away from flames, sparks,etc. on a windy day and crack the valve to let someout. It will freeze anything in front of the noozle so be careful of the gas coming out.
,m gf vbn,/oiytra

My two empty mexican tanks each weigh 17lbs FYI. 35/36lbs full.

I agree weighing is the way to go to be sure. I saw no scale at the Ajijic fill place.
Doesn't mean they don't have one but I can't see one.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:04 am

They don't use one...at least I didn't see one...they watch overflow, and the meter.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down