INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Were Your Biggest Misconceptions?

+10
Lehrer
Peter
David
islandiver
57Chevy
simpsca
gringal
kiva
Carry Bean
espíritu del lago
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Were Your Biggest Misconceptions? Empty What Were Your Biggest Misconceptions?

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:47 am

about living in Mexico? Looking back, what would you have done differently?
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

What Were Your Biggest Misconceptions? Empty Re: What Were Your Biggest Misconceptions?

Post by Carry Bean Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 am

I didn't really have any misconceptions. However, I thought it would be simpler to sign up for IMSS but with all the new rules & regs & what I've heard from people with experience with it I hope I'll be able to continue to afford private insurance.

I'm glad I shipped what I did of my possessions (didn't bring furniture) after being told repeatedly to "lose the stuff." I'm continually surprised at the low cost of living but I did come from a very expensive locale.

Last edited by Carry Bean on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

What Were Your Biggest Misconceptions? Empty Re: What Were Your Biggest Misconceptions?

Post by kiva Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:17 am

Carry, two questions
1. Did you find it easy to get private health insurance and is it affordable for a person who is 62?
2. Could you explain what you mean by "lost cost of living"? Is your cost of living higher or lower than what you were expecting?

Thanks
kiva
kiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:32 am

Sorry, "lost" was a typo which I corrected to "low." It's MUCH, MUCH lower than where I came from even for imported foodstuffs.

I was 65 when I signed up for private insurance with no preexisting conditions and it cost me a little over $1600.00 for the year. That wasn't for the highest coverage but also wasn't for the bare minimum, either. There's a deductible for each use & it's basically hospitalization only.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am

One thing that many people talk about is the high electricity. I don't find that to be the case at all but I've learned to be very careful and don't have a pool or other high electricity using stuff. In the Virgin Islands the electricity is 300% higher than the anywhere else under the US flag.

I got my first bill after waiting for a few months for a meter & for 50 days use it was 499 pesos. It would have been over $225.00 and probably closer to $250.00 or $275.00 for the same amount back there with about the same usage (no a/c, etc.)

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiva Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:10 am

Couple more questions Carry.
Did you immediately go for the FM3, or did you start on the tourist visa and then switch over once you got there? If so, how long between?
What possessions did you value the most bringing with you? Apart from any momento's and personal stuff? Like appliances, cooking stuff, dishes, ? Did you have any problems bringing them into MX? Did you use an agent?

Others with experience can chime in, looking for input here.

kiva
kiva

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:36 am

MISCONCEPTIONS? OH brother, were there ever! I can't begin. ROFL. Mainly, things just aren't the same, even when they appear to be. Bring a well-developed sense of humor, if nothing else. And patience. Lots of patience.

For lots of good, solid information ........check www.rollybrook.com
All about immigration, among many other things.

Re appliances: Nope. Usually not built for Mexican power situations, so better to buy them when you get here. Sometimes there are good buys on used.

Furniture: Lots of used, very good furniture available. The fact that this is "God's Waiting Room" means there's a high turnover.

Dishes and little stuff: Tons of it available: Check Costco and the like. Whole sets of good Bialetti cookware usually there at a decent price.

Sheets: It's hard to find high thread count sheets in Mexico, so if that's important, bring them if you have them.

We brought way more than we needed to when we moved and paid through the nose for the joy. Used North American Van Lines to the border: Then used SEYMI, which brought it to the door. Good mover. Everything there, and in one piece.
And..........good luck on the move.

flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:51 am

I used Strom White after I used a shipper from the Virgin Islands. I had no problems bringing my stuff in because there was flooding at the border & they just waved my stuff (along with others') through but I followed all the regulations completely.

I brought a Cuisinart, an electric kettle, my Kitchenaid mixer and Dualit toaster all of which I consider necessities. You may not. I brought plenty of high thread count cotton sheets as well as good towels. I brought all my silver and dishes that were important to me, good artwork I'd had for several years and my baking stuff which is better quality than most of the stuff that's available at Walmart as well as pots & pans. Your mileage might vary as far as what you feel is important but cooking stuff is to me.

You just have to figure out what you don't want to live without. It cost me $6,000.00 total US from the Virgin Islands by ship, then land to Laredo, then Laredo to here. Nothing was broken.

I applied for FM3 or whatever they're calling it now about 6 weeks after I got here. I bought a new car after about a month & broke another cardinal rule & bought a house less than 2 months after arriving. Couldn't be happier with any of it especially the house.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:33 am

Yes, I would agree with the two posters above that good quality sheets and towels are hard to find and expensive here - so bring them. Also appliances like Cuisinart Kitchenaid mixer or anything out of the ordinary will be hard to find and expensive here. I've seen used Kitchenaid mixers for sale second hand at a higher price than new in the US.

I had a visa for 6 months and waited until a month before it expired before I applied for FM3. I didn't bring much with me and wanted to be sure I would like living here before applying. That was 11 years ago.

I do make trips back to the US to buy clothes and shoes as it's hard to find things that fit me here.

I waited 7 years to buy because I had to - financially. I'm glad I waited because I rented in Guadalajara, San Antonio Tlayacapan and Jocotopec. By 7 years I knew where I didn't want to live. Hope that helps.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:42 pm

I have been 'coming and going' to lakeside, so I am always on the tourist visa. I went to my local Mexican consulate to see about an FM3 visa. They wanted all my personal information, social security #, bank account statements, etc. The office is a bit grubby and the agents there were rude & hostile. So, I feel that I would be better off applying when I am lakeside, in Mexico. I hear about alot of people applying inside of Mexico for their FM3. Do you need a lawyer to help you or can you do it yourself? Does the Mexican government inside of Mexico want all your personal identification information (social security #, bank account)? And, if so, has anyone ever had a problem with identity theft? Another question about moving there permanently/fulltime: the private insurance that one poster bought...this is from a Mexican company right? Does the LCS have a list of good/reputable insurance firms?

Last edited by 57Chevy on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by islandiver Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:08 pm

57Chevy wrote:I have been 'coming and going' to lakeside, so I am always on the tourist visa. I went to my local Mexican consulate to see about an FM3 visa. They wanted all my personal information, social security #, bank account statements, etc. The office is a bit grubby and the agents there were rude & hostile. So, I feel that I would be better off applying when I am lakeside, in Mexico. I hear about alot of people applying inside of Mexico for their FM3. Do you need a lawyer to help you or can you do it yourself? Does the Mexican government inside of Mexico want all your personal identification information (social security #, bank account)? And, if so, has anyone ever had a problem with identity theft? Another question about moving there permanently/fulltime: the private insurance that one poster bought...this is from a Mexican company right? Does the LCS have a list of good/reputable insurance firms?

Like simpsca said, you can be there for 180 days on a Tourist visa.

What is the longest you have been there in one visit?

islandiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:20 pm

57Chevy wrote:I have been 'coming and going' to lakeside, so I am always on the tourist visa. I went to my local Mexican consulate to see about an FM3 visa. They wanted all my personal information, social security #, bank account statements, etc. The office is a bit grubby and the agents there were rude & hostile. So, I feel that I would be better off applying when I am lakeside, in Mexico. I hear about alot of people applying inside of Mexico for their FM3. Do you need a lawyer to help you or can you do it yourself? Does the Mexican government inside of Mexico want all your personal identification information (social security #, bank account)? And, if so, has anyone ever had a problem with identity theft? Another question about moving there permanently/fulltime: the private insurance that one poster bought...this is from a Mexican company right? Does the LCS have a list of good/reputable insurance firms?

It's no longer possible to get a formerly called "FM-3" from a consulate. One must apply for and receive a "No-inmigrante Credencial." You SSN is not required, proof of sufficient income is required as is proof of residency, and copies of your passport. If you're going to come and go then the FMM, commonly referred to as the "tourist visa" is your best best. It's costs less and you don't have to proove anything.

Concerning medical insurance, the companies to choose from include US, European and Mexican, e.g. Allianz, AXA, New York Life, and Seguros Monterrey. IMHO the companies are equally good, what you need is a good agent. Ask around for personal experiences.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:23 pm

I brought my KitchenAid mixer with me, don't want to be anywhere without it. Friends here asked about buying one and most places where they can be found are very high like in Liverpool. I did run into some basic models like the one I have in a kitchen supply shop in Morelia for $2,500 mxp so that makes the price comparable to those in the US. I did take a long time before I ran into them though.

Spice/coffee grinders, side-opening can openers and other kitchen supplies have been difficult if not impossible to find.
Peter
Peter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic

http://amigo.foroactivo.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:25 pm

xxx

Last edited by Lehrer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:30 pm

I think the only misconception for me was how differently law enforcement works here. In a nutshell, IT DOESN'T. Other than that, all good.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by kiva Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks to all for your responses, I find them very informative.
kiva
kiva

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:56 pm

I have tried to embrace the differences, the lack of response from police is a problem. I have been able to find almost anything I need or a substitute that is equal or better than what I wanted. I think the most shock for me was the price of electronics here being much more than the US. Happy to be here and would not want to live anywhere else. bounce

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Glad to hear about the change to the FM3 type visa...I don't like to give out my SS# especially to a foreign office. THanks for the info on insurance, movers, stuff to bring. I stay for up to but no longer than 6 months at a time, and I rent when I am there. This is a very small thing but it matters to me. I could not find a fine mesh strainer there. If you want to make fresh watermelon juice (agua de sandia) in the blender or some other type of fruit juice, and you want to strain it to get out ALL the tiny SEED particles, you won't be able to find a fine mesh strainer very easilly. THe wire mesh strainers you can find locally are cheap, fall apart, and are not at all fine mesh. Electronics tend to cost alot more than in the U.S. So, bring ipod, computor, play station or Wii, CD players/stereo,TV, DVD player. I haven't moved my own stuff down, because I rent a fully-equipped house. But, I do wonder what I should bring when I do move permanently. I want to buy my own home, so will need to furnish it. Thanks for the tips on everything.

Have a question: I want to hear about what you longtimers think about security for your homes. Do you think it is necesary to have the electric fence and or razorwire on top of the wall surrounding your home? Do you need a security system? What are your opinions and thoughts. And, one gal said she rented a long time and found out where she did NOT want to live...any thoughts on neighborhoods that you think are the all-time best ones to live in? Thanks! And, MEXROSE, where are you?
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:01 pm

Remember, too that if you move small electrical stuff here with a mover you have to list the serial number on the moving papers and the item should be used. You have a certain amount of time to get your stuff here without having to pay customs(?) or is it duty?

For security, I have bars on all entrances, windows, sliders and grates in my skylight. My walls are very tall with a cyclone fence on top at the back of my garden. If anyone got into my yard, that's as far as they would get. I don't have a security system other than the bars and 3 dogs.

I bought in Riberas which lots of people badmouth but my street is great. No water problems (have a purification system), good neighbors & I don't get a lot of fireworks which is a good thing since one of my new dogs freaks out totally at them.

The neighborhood you pick would depend on what you want. Many want right in the middle of a village, others like me want to be out a bit further but walking distance to restaurants, etc. I've lived out of the US other than Mexico for a long time anyway so I knew what & where I wanted. The advice to rent first is good. I rented in El Parque for 3 months & it was great but it's not the kind of place I wanted to live in but others understandably love it.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks for info Carry Bean. I have seen alot of really nice homes in Riberas. I would want to live a bit away from the village centers, due to the noise, but within walking distance. Last year I rented a house in the center of Ajijic - not my preference. This last visit I rented a bit west of town, in Las Salvias. Still heard some noise but a bit more removed. It was still too close for me. I like Riberas, but have heard there are alot of burglaries there...don't know why. Chula Vista, the lower part on the carratera, across from Superlake, seems nice. I was thinking that security on all windows and doors is a good thing, as is the high walls with cyclone or electric. The house I rented this last time has the electric cables on top of a high wall, and I felt very safe. The house in the center of the village had nothing, and I did have some problems there.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:30 pm

The noise factor in the Village is relative to where your Village home is. One street over, the buses and general traffic are noisy. My casa near the lake side of town is very quiet, especially in the evenings.
Security: It's a very old house and has bars on the windows. We added better locks on the doors. No razor wire, etc. It is also very low key in appearance and doesn't look like rich pickings.
Best of all, we know all our neighbors, and we "look out" for each other, as best we can.
So far, so good. Haven't been robbed. Crossed fingers and toes.

cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Well, I was looking at a very humble home in the Village of Ajijic that is for rent through a friend. I feel funny asking about safety. It is cheap enough that I could rent it all year, and come and go as I can, and keep my stuff there. It is unfurnished. It has a wall with a gated cochera, but no special security features...the wall would be easy to climb over I suppose. It is near the lake, maybe a block off, and one or two streets over from the Number 4 restaurant. Do you know anything about the safety of this area? I think it was a street called Nikolas Bravo, but I am not certain. It may the next one over. It is not a rich looking place whatsoever. It looks old and kind of beat up from the outside, but is nice and clean inside. Nothing fancy. Cold water only from one pipe in the kitchen sink! But I can't afford a better place right now, have a house in the U.S. I'm paying on. I would be there alone mostly, so am concerned about safety (am female)
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:24 pm

I think it's one of the nicer neighborhoods in Ajijic. Nicholas Bravo is a good street at that end. Close to everything, too.
If you have secure locks on the doors and the windows are secured with bars, you probably won't have trouble. (That sounds like the jailhouse, but we get used to it).

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:57 pm

When we go down I only plan on bringing my beautiful stainless steel BBQ, my mechanics/carpentry tools, my wifes paperback book collection and personal momentos. Everything else will be sold or given away to the kids.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:16 am

Yeah, I have been thinking about all of the stuff I'll have to give away or try to sell. Has anyone hung on to Grandma's china? I am afraid it would break in transit, and that I'd never use it anyways. Good idea from Bob to bring some basic tools. What about my saws? Have several....are good ones cheap to buy in Mexico if I want to do remodeling or repairs??

I will also bring my good kitchen cookware and utensils, sheets and towels, down comforters and polartec blankets (for the colder winter nights), juicer, Keurig coffeemaker with filters, BOSE stereo. I know I'm bringing 3 cats, 1 dog, and 3 parakeets! So, I'll have to rent an RV to drive down - for the sake of my ZOO. I hope I can find someone to hire to drive the RV! That could be a challenge.

If anyone knows of a company that will drive an RV from NOB to Chapala, please let me know.

Last edited by 57Chevy on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next