INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Were Your Biggest Misconceptions?

+10
Lehrer
Peter
David
islandiver
57Chevy
simpsca
gringal
kiva
Carry Bean
espĂ­ritu del lago
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What Were Your Biggest Misconceptions? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Were Your Biggest Misconceptions?

Post by 57Chevy January 13th 2011, 11:16 am

Yeah, I have been thinking about all of the stuff I'll have to give away or try to sell. Has anyone hung on to Grandma's china? I am afraid it would break in transit, and that I'd never use it anyways. Good idea from Bob to bring some basic tools. What about my saws? Have several....are good ones cheap to buy in Mexico if I want to do remodeling or repairs??

I will also bring my good kitchen cookware and utensils, sheets and towels, down comforters and polartec blankets (for the colder winter nights), juicer, Keurig coffeemaker with filters, BOSE stereo. I know I'm bringing 3 cats, 1 dog, and 3 parakeets! So, I'll have to rent an RV to drive down - for the sake of my ZOO. I hope I can find someone to hire to drive the RV! That could be a challenge.

If anyone knows of a company that will drive an RV from NOB to Chapala, please let me know.

Last edited by 57Chevy on January 13th 2011, 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

What Were Your Biggest Misconceptions? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Were Your Biggest Misconceptions?

Post by David January 13th 2011, 12:16 pm

Concerning the drive, contact Strom-White Moving. www.strommoving.com
Concerning saws, you rarely need one here, so little is done with wood. I brought my hand saws and my circular but have rarely used them. I'd still say bring 'em. My wife gave away the china but kept the silver. The two things I regret not bringing are my extension ladder (they're very expensive here) and my little electric chain saw.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca January 14th 2011, 5:00 pm

I can't think of any misconceptions I had. I visited Mexico and this area in particular many times over a 20 year period before deciding to move here. the only major disappointment I've had is how much traffic and air pollution there is in Guadalajara since I started visiting. It used to be an easy to navigate city and you could breathe. Well also concerned about the increase in crime and drug cartel activity. Police, no surprise.

I have friends who have lived in Guadalajara over 20 years and the first year I lived there someone purposely bumped me in the rear end and tried to get me to stop. It was a real junker. I didn't stop but took evasive measures knowing they were after something I had. I told my friends if I had a cell phone I would have called the police. My friend who is married to a Mexican woman, said - no don't do that they are worse than the crooks.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy January 14th 2011, 9:43 pm

David, good point about the ladders...have heard they are expensive. That will be added to my list. Thank you for sharing all of your great suggestions and experiences. Bye
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi January 14th 2011, 11:06 pm

Are there special "hoops" to jump through to bring your birds in?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca January 14th 2011, 11:12 pm

kipissippi wrote:Are there special "hoops" to jump through to bring your birds in?

I know there are laws about exotic birds in Mexico - what you can own, how you can acquire them. Many of the exotic birds in Mexico are protected. Not sure how to find out.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons January 15th 2011, 9:39 am

We thought it might be more difficult to get along with just our rudimentary Spanish. Now we realize it might be too easy and thereby a drag on improving our Spanish skills. Our household help assists us by speaking only Spanish and helping us very patiently for which we are grateful.

Truthfully, although I knew the climate here was pretty fantastic, that has exceeded all expectations.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2