INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey

+20
hound dog
seisdedos
Parker
CheenaGringo
David
ferret
E-raq
Big Daddy Mexico
Battlecat
ComputerGuy
Rosa Venus
Trailrunner
Flamingo
Guiness
arturo cuatro ojos
gringal
CanuckBob
borderreiver
johninajijic
Grizzy
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey - Page 2 Empty Re: New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey

Post by ferret Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:41 pm

We're pretty basic in our pizza choices. Mushrooms, onions, pepperoni. It's the sauce that makes it extra special...all other pizza's we've had were limited to a sauce that was "red" and bland.
Here, we've only had pizza from Domino's and the Italian restaurant opposite the Hacienda Steak House. But this pizza was the best we've had just about anywhere in years...and that includes Toronto.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey - Page 2 Empty Re: New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey

Post by David Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:09 am

I've yet to try the Monkey pizza. IMHO, the best pizza lakeside is at The Score. I'll try the Monkey and compare.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:16 am

And we'll try The Score too.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:23 am

ferret wrote:We're pretty basic in our pizza choices. Mushrooms, onions, pepperoni. It's the sauce that makes it extra special...all other pizza's we've had were limited to a sauce that was "red" and bland.
Here, we've only had pizza from Domino's and the Italian restaurant opposite the Hacienda Steak House. But this pizza was the best we've had just about anywhere in years...and that includes Toronto.

I don't know why you said "all other pizza's we've had were limited to a sauce that was "red" and bland."

Do you think pizza sauce is supposed to be spicy or have a bite to it? It is not and if it does, the chef knows nothing about making pizza. The best pizzas are made with canned sauces. The best pizza in the Boston area that everyone loves is Pizzeria Regina from the North End and is pizza sauce out of the can from "Pastene". I'm not sure where you're from, or if you've ever heard of Pastene, but they also make the best Ground Peeled Tomatos that's used for Italian sauce.

We continue to make our own pizza at home on Saturday night. We use S & W canned sauce. It does have a few, not overpowering spices in it, like Basil.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:05 am

Each to his/her own John. I would probably hate your sauce and you'd probably hate mine.
My opinion is my own and I don't like having your's shoved on me.
Pizza sauce can have some zing and to state that "It is not" is just another one of your over the top opinions. You're not the wordwide authority on pizza sauce.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:07 am

Ferret said what she said because that was her experience. When will you learn that when someone relates their experience they can't possibly be "wrong?" What you know about pizza sauce is limited by your own experience. Your comments are very telling of your knowledge of cooking. My Italian Nona would never use canned sauce for her pizza. Any italian red sauce is made from fresh Roma tomatoes. No decent cook would use canned tomatoes. Just goes to show that you know only what you know and what you know is quite limited.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:37 pm

"The best pizza sauce is canned?" Wow. There goes any chance of me even reading the titles of his restaurant reviews.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:44 pm

HelperGuy wrote:"The best pizza sauce is canned?" Wow. There goes any chance of me even reading the titles of his restaurant reviews.

My bad, I should have said that most commercial pizza places use canned sauce. It's just as fresh as your own because tomatos are picked at time of perfect ripeness and canned. Practically EVERYONE uses canned tomatos to make an Italian sauce which is totally DIFFERENT than pizza sauce.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:00 pm

No, everyone doesn't.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:05 pm

David wrote:No, everyone doesn't.

David - Are you Italian? Did your Italian father show you how to make a REAL old world recipe sauce? Do you watch HGTV and Giarda DiLaurentis or any other cooks who use any brand "Ground Peeled Tomatos" as a base for the sauce.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:51 pm

As I wrote previously, I learned from my Italian Nona (Grandmother). She was from Italy. What is REAL old-world recipe sauce? Would that be as opposed to IMITATION old-world?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:43 pm

What goes into canned and what goes into ketchup is completely different than what goes on the grocery produce shelves. My Mom used to pick 'em during the summer: all the mushed and damaged stuff is what goes into the cans.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:47 pm

HelperGuy wrote:What goes into canned and what goes into ketchup is completely different than what goes on the grocery produce shelves. My Mom used to pick 'em during the summer: all the mushed and damaged stuff is what goes into the cans.

Maybe that crap goes into Ragu, 4 Brothers, etc. Not into good quality names like Pastene, Progresso,San Marino, etc. Ground Peeled Tomatoesa are not mushed up. They're partly whole with skins and seeds removed, the same as you would do with fresh Roma tomatoes, by blanching, removing skins and seeds.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:59 pm

Of course you say that like you know something, but you don't. Just keep using the canned crap and tell us it's the "best." Because for you it is.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:45 am

johninajijic wrote:Maybe that crap goes into Ragu, 4 Brothers, etc. Not into good quality names like Pastene, Progresso,San Marino, etc. Ground Peeled Tomatoesa are not mushed up. They're partly whole with skins and seeds removed, the same as you would do with fresh Roma tomatoes, by blanching, removing skins and seeds.
You are just so making this up. Tomato paste and tomato sauce... you show me a single company that gives a crap when no one can tell the difference. The same for diced, chopped, chunk, whatever: workers look at the skins on an assembly line, and anything that looks like it won't sell goes to canning and bottling. But that's okay; I'll just make a note that my Mom was lieing to me, because that's what Mom's are for, right?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:27 am

Back to the original topic, which is the fabulous Junky Munky pizza, I have been enjoying dropping by and sampling Christian's thin crispy crusted, perfectly sauced wood fire oven baked pizzas on an increasingly regular basis. Cassie is always smiling despite the fact that they are doing the work of 4 people most days.
I am not even going to dignify the canned pizza sauce remarks with an answer.

The chicken wings are always great as well, and the house salad is a nice mixture with some berries, feta, almonds and other interesting goodies tossed in to make it interesting.

I noticed desserts have been added but my waistline is already expanding from my growing pizza addiction so I try to resist.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:06 am

For all you idiots who talk about canned vs. fresh, you make up a sauce with fresh tomatoes, your way, which probably won't even be correct, then we'll make a test taste comparison. How long will you cook your sauce?

If you want to make a canned Tomato sauce, use any brand you like. Why? Because after the sauce is made you cannot tell the difference between the cheapest brand or the most expensive. Ground Peeled Tomatoes taste ALL the same AFTER the sauce is made.

I would bet that most of you or your wives use one of those already prepared jar sauces, like Ragu and doctor it up. Next time you go to an Italian restaurant ask them how they make their sauce and how long they cook it.

My evaluation of restaurant sauces here: Foccacia - very good, Giovanni's - decent, pretty good, La Taverna - lousy, Pepe's & Aurora - hardly edible. Trattoria di Pomodoro on Ninos Heroes in GDL - Excellent.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:27 am

Shall we move on to Angelica's? It find it the best Italian restaurant in town. cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:26 am

johninajijic wrote:For all you idiots who talk about canned vs. fresh, you make up a sauce with fresh tomatoes, your way, which probably won't even be correct, then we'll make a test taste comparison. How long will you cook your sauce?

If you want to make a canned Tomato sauce, use any brand you like. Why? Because after the sauce is made you cannot tell the difference between the cheapest brand or the most expensive. Ground Peeled Tomatoes taste ALL the same AFTER the sauce is made.

I would bet that most of you or your wives use one of those already prepared jar sauces, like Ragu and doctor it up. Next time you go to an Italian restaurant ask them how they make their sauce and how long they cook it.

My evaluation of restaurant sauces here: Foccacia - very good, Giovanni's - decent, pretty good, La Taverna - lousy, Pepe's & Aurora - hardly edible. Trattoria di Pomodoro on Ninos Heroes in GDL - Excellent.

Ha! YOU can't tell the difference. You need to learn something about food and cooking first before posting anything on the subject.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:31 am

gringal wrote:Shall we move on to Angelica's? It find it the best Italian restaurant in town. cheers

Sorry, my bad, I forgot to include Angelica's as it's the best at Lakeside.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:42 am

Who is the best Italian Chef in the world?

John's father - chef boyardee of course!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:57 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Who is the best Italian Chef in the world?

Maybe you eat that crap, but I never would. I don't know what dummy would buy that crap.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiness Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 pm

johninajijic wrote:

Maybe you eat that crap, but I never would. I don't know what dummy would buy that crap.

And you Sir are just plain RUDE!

Guiness
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:56 pm

Guiness wrote:
johninajijic wrote:

And you Sir are just plain RUDE!

And you are .................
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:10 pm

You can all spout what you think you know about Italian sauce, yet most of you are not Italian. You can say what you want about Italian restaurants here, but even Italian owners put out some really bad stuff. And you can all give your opinions on Pizza, but NO ONE at Lakeside can make a good pizza!

Our homemade is miles ahead of the rest at Lakeside.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:52 pm

John, have you ever eaten pizza in Italy? I have, many times, and it is a whole different animal over there. So unless you have eaten it there your opinion isn't really worth a hill of beans.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next