INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey

+20
hound dog
seisdedos
Parker
CheenaGringo
David
ferret
E-raq
Big Daddy Mexico
Battlecat
ComputerGuy
Rosa Venus
Trailrunner
Flamingo
Guiness
arturo cuatro ojos
gringal
CanuckBob
borderreiver
johninajijic
Grizzy
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey

Post by E-raq Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:52 am

John, have you ever eaten pizza in Italy? I have, many times, and it is a whole different animal over there. So unless you have eaten it there your opinion isn't really worth a hill of beans.

E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:56 am

E-raq wrote:John, have you ever eaten pizza in Italy? I have, many times, and it is a whole different animal over there. So unless you have eaten it there your opinion isn't really worth a hill of beans.

Yes, I have, a looong time ago and it is totally different. We had it in Rome. It varies by region.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:57 am

John never ate unless he was on the cruise ship! If he behaved on the cruise ship in a similar manner to this forum, they probably had to assign him a security detail and he was probably afraid to go ashore on his own. After all, other passengers might jump him!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:12 pm

and..........having Italian forebears does not make a whit of difference in your cooking Italian style food. Anyone with a web recipe or good cooking skills can whip up a delicious Italian meal. It's all about ingredients and taking time.

Some local restaurants do take the time and use the best ingredients. Others depend on the ignorance of their customers.

Chef Boyardee wasn't bad, either, if you were nine years old and your mama was a lousy cook. LOL.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:19 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:John never ate unless he was on the cruise ship! If he behaved on the cruise ship in a similar manner to this forum, they probably had to assign him a security detail and he was probably afraid to go ashore on his own. After all, other passengers might jump him!

My answer on eating pizza in Italy was referring to when we visited 6 countries in 1972 and we were in Rome. The Mediterranean cruise was in 2008 and we ate on the ship because it's part of the package. It's gourmet food that you don't find in many places unless you're paying big bucks for it. It makes Ajijic restaurants look like they're serving garbage.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:27 pm

OK, don't be dissing Chef Boyardee now. I loved that ravioli when I was a kid......jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:31 pm

CanuckBob wrote:OK, don't be dissing Chef Boyardee now. I loved that ravioli when I was a kid......jajaja.

OK senor jefe...jajaja
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:36 pm

gringal wrote:and..........having Italian forebears does not make a whit of difference in your cooking Italian style food. Anyone with a web recipe or good cooking skills can whip up a delicious Italian meal. It's all about ingredients and taking time.

Some local restaurants do take the time and use the best ingredients. Others depend on the ignorance of their customers.

Chef Boyardee wasn't bad, either, if you were nine years old and your mama was a lousy cook. LOL.

Oh God does that bring back memories. My mother cooked the same thing, on the same day, every day of the week. Sunday was always fried chicken, still the best chicken I’ve ever had. Now when I was about twelve she did the Chef Boyardee thing and it was really, really good. First time I’d ever had pasta and we lived on a much healthier diet. I can hardly remember eating any processed foods, maybe an occasional, at the fair “Hot Dog”.

The first time we had “Pizza” my mother thought it was the best food she had ever eaten, it didn’t matter who prepared it. We’re all just getting too spoiled, IMHO, and so we have taken the fun out of simple pleasures.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:22 pm

johninajijic wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:OK, don't be dissing Chef Boyardee now. I loved that ravioli when I was a kid......jajaja.

OK senor jefe...jajaja

OK......well that wasn't the response I was looking for. I was hoping you were going to tell me that Joe would make me a ravioli that would be the best I have ever tasted.......jajaja. Maybe I'll have to ask him myself.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:38 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
johninajijic wrote:

OK senor jefe...jajaja

OK......well that wasn't the response I was looking for. I was hoping you were going to tell me that Joe would make me a ravioli that would be the best I have ever tasted.......jajaja. Maybe I'll have to ask him myself.

He doesn't do Ravioli, but he does Lasagne, Lasagne with Spinach, Meat (Pork) Lasagna, Cannelloni, Stuffed Shells (Ricotta or Ricotta and Spinach), Gnocchi (Ricotta). Of course Italian Meatloaf which you've had. And Pizza custom made for you and Sharon.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:36 pm

No Fettucine Alfredo? You want my recipe?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:12 pm

ferret wrote:No Fettucine Alfredo? You want my recipe?

No Fettucinne Alfredo, but we do Cappellini with Butter and Parmesan cheese and Egg Noodles with Butter and Parmesan cheese, both artery cloggers. And also a fresh marinara sauce with Shrimp over Linguine. My mouth is watering.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Since the Chili Cookoff really has nothing to do with true Mexican food and is a Gringo invention, maybe it is time for an International Food Cookoff with rotating countries annually? It could start with an Italian Cookoff and my bet would be that the bookies probably wouldn't offer odds on John's chances of winning! Kathy and I have indulged in a few pasta dishes in our Mexican travels that would give an Italian chef a run and they were prepared by Mexican chefs!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Since the Chili Cookoff really has nothing to do with true Mexican food and is a Gringo invention, maybe it is time for an International Food Cookoff with rotating countries annually? It could start with an Italian Cookoff and my bet would be that the bookies probably wouldn't offer odds on John's chances of winning! Kathy and I have indulged in a few pasta dishes in our Mexican travels that would give an Italian chef a run and they were prepared by Mexican chefs!

What restaurants were they?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:46 pm

None that you would know since you don't venture out from Ajijic and don't bother claiming that you visited them along with the 6 countries back in 1972!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:46 pm

johninajijic wrote:

No Fettucinne Alfredo, but we do Cappellini with Butter and Parmesan cheese and Egg Noodles with Butter and Parmesan cheese, both artery cloggers. And also a fresh marinara sauce with Shrimp over Linguine. My mouth is watering.

Yes, they are artery cloggers but hopefully once a month won't kill us. The original recipe given to me used butter, WHIPPING cream and parmesan. I still use the butter but less of it and I use LIGHT MILK instead of the whipping cream...the parmesan remains the same. I actually don't think I could give anyone a recipe for it, since it's more to eye and to taste.
Still, it somehow always turns out the same. Tonight was the night...but I added small cubes of chicken that I barbecued last night and some fresh peas....not a scrap left.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:50 pm

ferret wrote:
johninajijic wrote:

Yes, they are artery cloggers but hopefully once a month won't kill us. The original recipe given to me used butter, WHIPPING cream and parmesan. I still use the butter but less of it and I use LIGHT MILK instead of the whipping cream...the parmesan remains the same. I actually don't think I could give anyone a recipe for it, since it's more to eye and to taste.
Still, it somehow always turns out the same. Tonight was the night...but I added small cubes of chicken that I barbecued last night and some fresh peas....not a scrap left.

Sounds great, I would like the peas. Do you make Carbonara too, we don't.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:13 pm

No carbonara. That's heartburn city.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:18 pm

ferret wrote:No carbonara. That's heartburn city.

Had the best carbonara ever yesterday in Orvieto at the Osteria Mezza Luna thanks to Professori Michelangelo.

Had a funghi porcini pizza tonight with a very light tomato sauce and the thinnest crust I've ever had. My daughter hasn't seen a crust that thin in the 2 years she's lived here. And that means lots of pizza.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:41 pm

seisdedos wrote:

Had the best carbonara ever yesterday in Orvieto at the Osteria Mezza Luna thanks to Professori Michelangelo.

Had a funghi porcini pizza tonight with a very light tomato sauce and the thinnest crust I've ever had. My daughter hasn't seen a crust that thin in the 2 years she's lived here. And that means lots of pizza.

where is this restaurant in Guadalajara?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:57 pm

seisdedos wrote:

Are you enjoying your vacation? Sounds divine and it must be wonderful to see your daughter. Enjoy!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:55 pm

Went and got a pizza from The Score tonight. To be fair, I ordered the same pizza with mushrooms, onions and pepperoni.
Sorry David, I like the Junky Munky pizza better. Each to his/her own.
I, personally, didn't like the sauce at The Score...there was way too much cheese...and I never did find any onion on it. For $165 pesos, it just didn't cut it.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Seisdedos writes (in part):

"... Had the best carbonara ever yesterday in Orvieto at the Osteria Mezza Luna thanks to Professori Michelangelo...."

Dawg is a big carbonara fan. A type of pasta I learned to love while living in France and a dish I often order while there if it´s on the menu. My experience over the years from restaurant to restaurant has been uneven to put it mildly. When carbonara is done right it is superb.

So, there we were in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, a town with a lively restaurant scene and dining in a restaurant on the highly popular Andador restaurant row supposedly specializing in European food when I spotted Pasta Carbonara on the menu which I ordered with a bottle of good Chilean wine and the carbonara turned out to be a dreadful, mushy, tasteless concoction of little interest and not even remotely characteristic of what even a bad carbonara would resemble anywhere in France so, although I am not given to complaining in restaurants - simply electing instead to refuse to return if a meal is unacceptable - this pasta concoction was so far removed from anything resembling carbonara that I felt it appropriate to voice an objection so I called over the waiter and the following brief conversation ensued:

ME: "This is not pasta carbonara.
WAITER: "Well, here it is."

End of brief, Chiapas-style encounter followed by the gulping down of that good Chilean red wine and a hasty exit and vow to never return to that establishment. That last part is not so hard since restaurants come and go quite rapidly along San Cristóbal´s restaurant row - usually unlamented.

So, who the hell would order a pasta carbonara in Chiapas or Chiapas food in France? Well, there´s a big expat European community in San Cristóbal and one can still get a great wood fired pizza there but don´t become too adventurous. If you want Chiapas food in Paris, you had better know some Chiapanecos who live there and get the necessary ingredients from far flung relatives.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:20 am

Just thought some on the board would find it interesting that the infamous "pizza hawaiiana" that so manly credit its existence to Mexicans actually exists in Italy.

Saw it with my own eyes last night in Alto Adige.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:37 am

seisdedos wrote:Just thought some on the board would find it interesting that the infamous "pizza hawaiiana" that so manly credit its existence to Mexicans actually exists in Italy.

Saw it with my own eyes last night in Alto Adige.
Did they put ketchup on it?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:48 am

LOL that would be the deciding factor!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next