INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shaw installation - the guy to go to

+7
Zedinmexico
ComputerGuy
CheenaGringo
Jim W
johninajijic
MexicoPete
juanrey
11 posters

Go down

Shaw installation - the guy to go to Empty Shaw installation - the guy to go to

Post by juanrey Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Just had a Shaw satellite system installed. Thought it was going to be expensive, time consuming and difficult. Boy, was I wrong.
Posted that I needed the pieces and parts on this and TOB and had a box within 24 hours, also got an offer for an LMB, but ended up getting it from the installer.
CanuckBob gave me the number of his installer, and he came out to see what we wanted within 1 1/2 hours. The price was totally reasonable, non-HD dish, LMB, installation and a little device so I could watch TV in two rooms off of one receiver. Total price 2,800 pesos.
Once I agreed with the price we scheduled it for later that afternoon.
2 1/2 hours later the dish was installed, the box hooked up and today we activated it.
Works like a charm.

So, if you're looking for a good guy to do an install or a repair, I want to highly recommend Jose - 765 4577,
Great guy and speaks very good English.

juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Shaw installation - the guy to go to Empty Re: Shaw installation - the guy to go to

Post by MexicoPete Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Jose has a good reputation. so has Satellite systems of Ajijic. As I believe Bob said, up north we do it ourselves because it's so expensive. Down here we pay someone else.

In fact, I go up north 3 times per year and have the satellite dish mounted on a moveable 2 by 12 inch piece of wood on my desk. Now before I can close the window curtain, I need to move the dish. And when I return, I open the curtain and reposition the dish, an operation that's getting easier and easier. Oh, by the way, I get a pretty good signal through the window, whether the curtain is up or down. Up north I use the smaller 60 E dish not the larger 75 E dish needed lakeside. The 75 E measures 36.5 by 26.5 inches and picks up the signal from both satellites (107.3 and 111.1 degrees W. longitude)
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Shaw installation - the guy to go to Empty Re: Shaw installation - the guy to go to

Post by johninajijic Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:51 pm

FANTASTIC price!!!
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 pm

I recommended Jose to CB last week, happy he passed his number on to you John. Jose installed my Dish Network in 2006, and installed my Shaw in 2009.

For all, you don't need a Shaw dish, others will work, to receive their programming.....just the LNB!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Jim W wrote:I recommended Jose to CB last week, happy he passed his number on to you John. Jose installed my Dish Network in 2006, and installed my Shaw in 2009.

For all, you don't need a Shaw dish, others will work, to receive their programming.....just the LNB!
Remember “Jim W” what you say was true perhaps 6 years ago, but Shaw Direct went to an elliptical dish about 6 years ago so that with their then new second satellite (Anik F2) you could use one LNB (the compatible Quad 4 75 E LNB to receive signals from the two different satellites. The second satellite has most of the HD programming on it

If you use a standard parabolic satellite as you are suggesting and use most any type of LNB you are going to get the signals from either AniK F-1R or Anik F2 not both. That is why those wanting the signals from both satellites either use the matching Shaw Direct elliptical with the one Shaw Quad LNB, or a parabolic dish with several LNBs a combiner switch etc, etc. Also remember Jim, that they are about to launch the third Anik G-1 satellite that will require a 3rd LNB if you are not willing to get the Shaw Direct 75 E elliptical Dish and the new matching Quad LNB. (There is a chance that the signals from the third satellite will be too weak this far south) I could go on and on. But I might to technical.

But this is much more detailed and technical than you are suggesting unless you only want the programming from one of the two and soon to be 3 satellites. For more info you can always to to http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/america.html and check out the programming on Anik F-1R at 107.3 and Anik F-2 at 111.1 degrees longitude W. and to Anik G-1 once it is launched.

MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:21 pm

MexicoPete wrote:
Jim W wrote:I recommended Jose to CB last week, happy he passed his number on to you John. Jose installed my Dish Network in 2006, and installed my Shaw in 2009.

Remember “Jim W” what you say was true perhaps 6 years ago, but Shaw Direct went to an elliptical dish about 6 years ago so that with their then new second satellite (Anik F2) you could use one LNB (the compatible Quad 4 75 E LNB to receive signals from the two different satellites. The second satellite has most of the HD programming on it

If you use a standard parabolic satellite as you are suggesting and use most any type of LNB you are going to get the signals from either AniK F-1R or Anik F2 not both. That is why those wanting the signals from both satellites either use the matching Shaw Direct elliptical with the one Shaw Quad LNB, or a parabolic dish with several LNBs a combiner switch etc, etc. Also remember Jim, that they are about to launch the third Anik G-1 satellite that will require a 3rd LNB if you are not willing to get the Shaw Direct 75 E elliptical Dish and the new matching Quad LNB. (There is a chance that the signals from the third satellite will be too weak this far south) I could go on and on. But I might to technical.

But this is much more detailed and technical than you are suggesting unless you only want the programming from one of the two and soon to be 3 satellites. For more info you can always to to http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/america.html and check out the programming on Anik F-1R at 107.3 and Anik F-2 at 111.1 degrees longitude W. and to Anik G-1 once it is launched.

Thanks Pete, Just wanted all to know, minus HD, they will receive. I installed a dish (dish nw) with Shaw LNB HD is another issue. Pete are you back? I'd like to see what you are receiving from Direct TV.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Oh God Jim, I'm receiving so much from DirecTV, it's not funny. (I'm not talking about the Latin American DirecTV but US DirecTV) There are some problems picking up US DirecTV, because rather than needing a very small dish you need a 2.4 meter dish and three closely placed LNBs pointing at 2 Ka band dishes and 2 Ku band dishes. I get a strong signal from the two Ka band satellites most all of which are in HDTV even a few in 3DTV. There are not than many SD channels available down here through the Ku band statellites because the Ku signals are weaker down here so we don't get many of the channels.

But the # of HD stations are amazing. Sadly because the channel guide is on a Ku band satellite neither I or the two other friends who also have US DirecTV systems down here, have very good access to the Ku program guide.

I have over simplified the facts. The actual details are more complicated, and I'm still learning

To be overwhelmed look at the link I gave, go to the DirecTV satellites at 99.2 and 102.8 degrees West and left click on the Ch # column. Also understand that you will not pick up those channels that are meant for a city, rather those broad beam satelllite that are meant for the nation.

Many of the broadbeam HD channels are viewable here. Fewer of the SD channels are viewable here. I get maybe three times as many different channels with different progarmming on DirecTV as I do on Shaw Direct.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Isn't it an enlightening experience when two Tv techies attempt to outdo each other with their knowledge?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Wait until we start talking about 3DTV Neil. Heck, I even have a 4DTV receiver, for real Neil. :) You should get one. I can't wait until the 5DTV comes out. What ever that is :)

I just checked out Mr Goodle and he "had about 90,300 results" about the 5DTV receiver. There were quite a few hits on the 6DTV to.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:05 pm

It is also possible to get HiDef on Shaw without the larger oval dish. Any standard round dish will do, with the addition of two single LNBs and a special switching device. The switch adds about $1,000 to the overall cost, but means no hunting for a Shaw dish. Jose has done several of these.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:08 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Isn't it an enlightening experience when two Tv techies attempt to outdo each other with their knowledge?

I don't know I thought it interesting. C.G. Pete has lost more knowledge than you ever had regarding this subject.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 am

HelperGuy wrote:It is also possible to get HiDef on Shaw without the larger oval dish. Any standard round dish will do, with the addition of two single LNBs and a special switching device. The switch adds about $1,000 to the overall cost, but means no hunting for a Shaw dish. Jose has done several of these.

Yes, this is a good alternative. The house we moved into already had two large oval dishes on the roof. I think the previous tenant had Direct TV US. We had CP Electronics come and install the proper LNB's and switch for Shaw and then re-aim the dishes. Works well for both HD and SD channels (60x series receivers) and have not experienced any loss of signal.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Zed:

One of these days you might consider the source and realize I was just flippin a bit of grief. I am experienced and intelligent enough not to try and sell my knowledge on a topic when I know virtually nothing!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:21 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:

I am experienced and intelligent enough not to try and sell my knowledge on a topic when I know virtually nothing!

¡Bravo!
Which makes you the exception and not the rule on this board. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:20 pm

For those of you who are new here, we are all just having fun here with each other. Neil is teasing me. I'm teasing him about my 4DTV receiver which is maybe 12 years old that was installed on my C band satellite system by Satellite Systems of Ajijic. It has almost no value. But the name sounds very, very impressive.

And Mr google even has entries about a 5DTV, what ever the He!! that is. :)
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:30 pm

HelperGuy wrote:It is also possible to get HiDef on Shaw without the larger oval dish. Any standard round dish will do, with the addition of two single LNBs and a special switching device. The switch adds about $1,000 to the overall cost, but means no hunting for a Shaw dish. Jose has done several of these.
Mike. What I didn't know was how expensive the switch was and yes, one larger dish with two LNBs or two 4 foot in diameter parabolic dishes, each with it's own LNB one pointing at one satellite and the other and the second satellite should have an even stronger signal than the 75 E elliptical dish, thereby meaning almost never having rain fade. What I didn't know was that, as posted above, the switch is so expensive.

My single DirecTV 8 foot Dish has 3 LNBs on it pointing at 3 or 4 satellites
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:39 pm

MexicoPete wrote:For those of you who are new here, we are all just having fun here with each other. Neil is teasing me. I'm teasing him about my 4DTV receiver which is maybe 12 years old that was installed on my C band satellite system by Satellite Systems of Ajijic. It has almost no value. But the name sounds very, very impressive.

And Mr google even has entries about a 5DTV, what ever the He!! that is. :)

I threw my 4DTV receiver ine rubbish along with my dish for C Band. I loved that system. It had a very clear picture. DISH network is definitely not as good.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:32 pm

....and Shaw is far superior to Dish.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Shaw installation - the guy to go to Empty Greek

Post by joyfull Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:44 pm

That is what this all sounds like to me! Shaw installation - the guy to go to 850219
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:49 pm

David wrote:....and Shaw is far superior to Dish.

No one told me that when I switched from C Band to DISH Network.

Isn't the size of the dish smaller on Shaw? I have an 8 foot dish for DISH network.

What is the cost of a complete Shaw system with DVR capability IN MEXICO?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:15 pm

johninajijic wrote:
David wrote:....and Shaw is far superior to Dish.
No one told me that when I switched from C Band to DISH Network. Isn't the size of the dish smaller on Shaw? I have an 8 foot dish for DISH network. What is the cost of a complete Shaw system with DVR capability IN MEXICO?
John; you have the wrong sized satellite dish for the delivery system DISH USA that you are watching, unless you are satified with old fashioned Standard Definition. If you want HD, you need the larger 3.6 meter (about 12 feet) Ku band dish and with a system with the 12 ft Ku dish you can get many HD channels to include 6 HBO channels in HD on the DISH USA bird located at 129 degrees West. (Shaw Direct has only 2 HBO HD channels). Or using your 8 footer you could subscribe to DirecTV and get many, many channels in HD to include ten from HBO

I love my Shaw Direct system because it gives me my home town stations when I'm down south. (Seattle, & Vancouver) I'm a snowbird, so I like to watch the hometown news on my 26.5 by 36.5 inch Shaw dish. But the other system I also use gives me by far the most HD channels down here on an 8 foot sat dish is DirecTV. USA

What does a Shaw System cost down here? Use Mr. Google. He might tell you to go to http://www.cp-electronics.com/ You can see there. Or phone Satellite Systems at 766-1117. I know I buy my equipment in Canada, and if you were again to talk to Mr. Google he would tell you to go to www.shawdirect.ca to see what the prices are up there.

Up there the receivers start at $100 dollars and I didn't pay anything for my satellite dish or quad LNB.

Rather than asking us, look at the programming provided by Shaw, Dish, DirecTV etc., and then decide what system best meets your programming needs. (Oh and don't let anyone tell you the largest Ku band dish is only 2.4 meters (8 ft) it's not true. I have a 3.6 meter (about 12 Ft) Ku sat dish.

Good luck,
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down