INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Passing Time ´Till The Bell Tolls

4 posters

Go down

Passing Time ´Till The Bell Tolls Empty Passing Time ´Till The Bell Tolls

Post by hound dog Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:36 pm

I get a kick out of the electronic communications we have access to today. Sometimes we forget how recently this phenomenon has come about giving us access, no matter how flawed, to other retirees who otherwise might be isolated puttering about here and there and growing radishes and parsley, feeding the cat and otherwise wondering what is happening in Hooterville these days now that they are no longer there. I don´t know what grandma and grandpa did in the 50s but I noted that they became increasingly irritable and drank more and more whiskey and smoked more and more cigarettes until the lungs or liver collapsed. Such is life.

The reason I bring this up is that, in addition to CBob´s Inside Lakeside Forum, I have discovered another forum that might be of interest to some of you. It is called the Expat Forum and actually includes forums (fora?) open to expatriates from many different countries all over the world, among them, Mexico. Dawg has taken to posting over there occasionally when my postings concern topics beyond those concerning Lakeside because the audience there is more widespreada and, thus more likely to be interested in topics far afield.

To get there, simply link to expatforum.com and then head to the Mexico Forum if that is what interests you. This forum should be fun as a supplement to this one and, if you go there, you can read about Dawg´s Guatemala adventure.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Passing Time ´Till The Bell Tolls Empty Re: Passing Time ´Till The Bell Tolls

Post by casi nada Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:09 pm

According to the Expat Forum, Mexico is in South America.

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:25 pm

casi nada wrote:According to the Expat Forum, Mexico is in South America.

Perhaps reflecting a European bias. Europeans tend to pre-suppose that a Latin American country is in what they presume to be South America.

We all know that Mexico is part of North America whereas Canada is the frozen tundra.

An interesting factoid. Central America is actually a part of North America rather than South America geographically speaking.

Last edited by hound dog on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:27 pm

hound dog wrote: if you go there, you can read about Dawg´s Guatemala adventure.

Shouldn't that read: Dawg's wife's Guatemala adventure?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:34 pm

[quote="viajero"]
hound dog wrote: if you go there, you can read about Dawg´s Guatemala adventure.
Shouldn't that read: Dawg's wife's Guatemala adventure?[/quote]

Yes, of course, but Dawg was there in spirit which beats in person which would have entailed the ingestion of far too much rice, beans and chipmunk stew.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:42 pm

I wondered about that stew when I had my Guatemala adventure at age 18 but my Spanish wasn't good enough back then to enquire about it.
One thing I won't ever forget was sitting on top of temple #4 at Tikal at sunrise.
Another thing I won't forget was a couple of nights spent with my maestra de español in Xela,what a great way to learn Spanish.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:30 pm

viajero wrote:I wondered about that stew when I had my Guatemala adventure at age 18 but my Spanish wasn't good enough back then to enquire about it.
One thing I won't ever forget was sitting on top of temple #4 at Tikal at sunrise.
Another thing I won't forget was a couple of nights spent with my maestra de español in Xela,what a great way to learn Spanish.

Dawg has been to so many old hacienda and Maya ruins and, from my home in San Cristóbal, I have easy access to fabulous Toniná and Palenque among others in Chiapas but Tikal remains my favorite historic site of all I have had the privilege of visiting both for its splendid ruins and the fabulous jungle surrounding those ruins. An unforgettable experience. Absolutely worth the risk of visiting even in today's virtually lawless Peten.

Tikal is easily reached from many angles but I suggest crossing the border at Frontera Corozal and taking the ferry to Bethel, Guatemala and from there there is a van that will take you to Flores where you can find accomodations and then find transportation up the road to Tikal. Visit the ruins and stroll through the jungle. You will never forget this experience.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:39 pm

Ferry to Bethel?? A grand word for a motor boat that holds a dozen people.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down