INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

+31
sandykayak
Chapala Payaso
hound dog
lunateak
The Postman
zenwoodle
CheenaGringo
CHILLIN
MexicoPete
CanuckBob
little italy
MyHomeSweetHome
Flamingo
elehne1
Zanadu44
Trailrunner
LaChula
gringal
E-raq
Minervajt
juanrey
sampati
seisdedos
Jim W
gringomojado
halcon
joec
slainte39
Carry Bean
hockables
bman2
35 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Where is the preferred/safest place to live? Empty Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

Post by bman2 Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:18 am

Seriously planning a move to Ajijic within the next 4 months, will be visiting in the next 2 months looking at properties for rent...single guy just retiring. Reading here/elsewhere seems like break and enters are a serious problem. Looking for some guidance relative to safest areas to live and some precautions long term residents have taken to protect themselves. Thanks for this great board and everyone's participation, it has been a great help to me.
bman2
bman2

Back to top Go down

Where is the preferred/safest place to live? Empty Re: Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

Post by hockables Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:28 am

There's something here for everyone!!
Security Issues are blown wayyyy out of proportion... nuth'n a little razor wire, electric wire, and maybe a few land mines wouldn't fix.... Beer

I sent ya a PM Very Happy

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Where is the preferred/safest place to live? Empty Re: Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

Post by Carry Bean Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 pm

There is no safest place to live except for Los Arroyos Sur Suspect . You just have to check the security measures in the place you're interested in renting. I wouldn't live where there are no bars on the sliding doors & windows, for example.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

hockables wrote:There's something here for everyone!!
Security Issues are blown wayyyy out of proportion... nuth'n a little razor wire, electric wire, and maybe a few land mines wouldn't fix.... Beer

Couldn't agree more...31 years in the same house, same street, same village. No razor wire, electric wire, or land mines...just common sense and eyes wide open. Choose your friends and relationships carefully, your daily habits prudent. Plus a little Surte Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:05 pm

hockables wrote:There's something here for everyone!!

Couldn't agree more. Everytime there's one burglary, people go off the wall into their paranoid state. Do they have burglaries, robberies and home invasions NOB, you bet, but everyone left their memories at home.

Last edited by joec on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Carry Bean wrote:There is no safest place to live except for Los Arroyos Sur Suspect . You just have to check the security measures in the place you're interested in renting. I wouldn't live where there are no bars on the sliding doors & windows, for example.

WOW, you're finally realizing how safe Los Arroyos Sur, Los Arroyos and some other neighborhoods are. No one has bars on their windows here. We don't need to. I will NEVER live where there are bars on windows. Only paranoid people live that way. If you feel so unsafe that you need them, go back NOB. It's really safe there. Yeah, right!!!

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:51 pm

I didn't come from NOB, John. Where I've lived before I've been robbed (not burgled) beaten up & raped. I wouldn't dream of living in a gated community where in many instances they're run by nosey parker boards on huge power trips. Don't be so cocky because the next house robbed could be yours.

It's none of your business how I live & when did you get to be a psychiatrist that you can diagnose ME as paranoid? When you pay my bills, you'll have that right. Until then, STFU. I wouldn't live where you do for all the money in the world.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by halcon Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:08 pm

poster might also consider chapala.... different strokes for different folks.
halcon
halcon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : if it's funny,i laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Chapala Jail never had a break-in, as far as I know!

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:38 pm

gringomojado wrote:Chapala Jail never had a break-in, as far as I know!

gm

Good one gringomojado! Please get bounced Beer from the board and get a shorter name....LOL
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:02 am

gm

TFF.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:17 am

You need to direct your question to θЯRθ or MelWhitlock. The only person in the area that knows anything. Snork!
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sampati Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:12 am

http://www.lakechapalacrime.com/

This information may be helpful to you in deciding where to live at Lakeside.
sampati
sampati
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:20 am

Bman, your question is one that obviously elicits a lot of strong feeling, but it is a reasonable question with many different points of view. Me, I'm a renter and choose a gated community, the rules don't seem to have much effect and as a renter I'm outside of the politics. For others they look for securing a home, and taking reasonable security precautions in their daily lives and that seems to work. Others choose to jump right into a neighborhood where they become part of the local community and Mexican & Gringo neighbors look out for one another.
There is no single answer, and it depends on your risk tolerance level, degree of wanting to be part of a local community, and level of security precautions you are willing to take.
But, as stated above, some of what you read is overblown, so if you are getting most of your info from these boards, you might look for a little grain of salt also.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by Minervajt Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:29 am

RE: gated communites. I have been looking to buy in Ajijic and have seen several ways in most gated communities, INCLUDING Los Arroyos, for bad guys to get in. I'm thinking, perhaps a false sense of security?

Minervajt

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:45 am

If you have any sense of security, probably some of it is false...just sayin'
And I think that applies to everyone with any sense of security, only the totally paranoid would be exempt.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:53 am

Minervajt wrote:RE: gated communites. I have been looking to buy in Ajijic and have seen several ways in most gated communities, INCLUDING Los Arroyos, for bad guys to get in. I'm thinking, perhaps a false sense of security?

I live in Los Arroyos Sur, not Los Arroyos, so maybe since you're a newbie, you can explain why we have NEVER been robbed. Try looking at the most often robbed places like Las Salvias, La Floresta, Mirasol and Riberas and maybe you can help them with your ideas.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:07 am

seisdedos wrote:You need to direct your question to θЯRθ or MelWhitlock. The only person in the area that knows anything. Snork!

Must be from the raquet Club, after all they too know everything there.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 am

Carry Bean wrote:I didn't come from NOB, John. Where I've lived before I've been robbed (not burgled) beaten up & raped. I wouldn't dream of living in a gated community where in many instances they're run by nosey parker boards on huge power trips. Don't be so cocky because the next house robbed could be yours.

It's none of your business how I live & when did you get to be a psychiatrist that you can diagnose ME as paranoid? When you pay my bills, you'll have that right. Until then, STFU. I wouldn't live where you do for all the money in the world.

BINGO, We're seriously looking at Villa Nova, and will take our usual security precautions once we move there.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:09 am

Minervajt wrote:RE: gated communites. I have been looking to buy in Ajijic and have seen several ways in most gated communities, INCLUDING Los Arroyos, for bad guys to get in. I'm thinking, perhaps a false sense of security?

You are correct that with most of the gated communities you can find a way in. But, you need to think through what the average burglar is thinking.
If he wants to case your house, he usually cannot because he can't hang around on a street corner watching it. Maybe construction workers could case your house, but lowers the risk profile.
Most burglars want fast in & out access with a vehicle in close proximity so they can take your computer and flat screen and be gone in a matter of minutes. Not typically the case with the gated communities I am familiar with.

Gated communities are really just another layer of deterrence. The guy at the gate isn't going to take a bullet for you and like they always say, if they want to get in they will find a way.

There's pro's and con's to all choices, you just have to evaluate what works for you.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:48 am

I have lived in Ajijic village in a mixed Mexican/expat area for over five years. We had lousy security in terms of entering the property, but good security on the house itself. Never been robbed up to the incident Dec. 31, when it appears that the would be thief was high on something, couldn't get in the house, so he set fire to our woodpile while we were out to dinner. Fortunately, we weren't gone long enough for serious damage. We added some entrance security and that's been that.

We also have neighbors who look out for each other when possible.
For those who say they just can't handle the idea of bars, etc.........they may be forgetting that we are free to leave the place; the bars are to keep others OUT, not cage the owner IN. pirat

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by LaChula Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:37 pm

" For others they look for securing a home, and taking reasonable security precautions in their daily lives and that seems to work. Others choose to jump right into a neighborhood where they become part of the local community and Mexican & Gringo neighbors look out for one another."

Here is my take on this question, a former Big Apple resident: flag waver I feel totally safe in my village neighborhood, where eveybody knows my name, and we all watch out for each other. Except for another couple and myself, everyone on the block has lived in the same homes for generations, so strangers hanging around are quickly noticed. My neighbors know who comes in and out of my house, so if a truck pulled up and unknown people were loading my tv and computer, it surely would call attention to a probable problem.
As far as I know, there has never been a break-in on my street. I, personally, like living around the locals, and I doubt I'd be happy in a gated community, or a quiet neighborhood where people don't walk on the street, so no one would know if trouble were brewing at a neighbor's house.
[i]

LaChula
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Jim W wrote:

gm

Good one gringomojado! Please get bounced Beer from the board and get a shorter name....LOL

I thought it was nigh upon impossible to get bounced here?

Oh, why?

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Si, por qué?

Me gusta la gringomojado nombre. Sabes lo que significa gringomojado, Jaime?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:33 pm

gringomojado wrote:
Jim W wrote:

gm

I thought it was nigh upon impossible to get bounced here?

Oh, why?

gm

It is gringomojado, however, my limited memory, lack of retention, and desire to personalize responses.....wtf, hard to remember your screen name.....me JIM....you nearly half the alphabet! LOL Surte My problem, not yours!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next