INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

+31
sandykayak
Chapala Payaso
hound dog
lunateak
The Postman
zenwoodle
CheenaGringo
CHILLIN
MexicoPete
CanuckBob
little italy
MyHomeSweetHome
Flamingo
elehne1
Zanadu44
Trailrunner
LaChula
gringal
E-raq
Minervajt
juanrey
sampati
seisdedos
Jim W
gringomojado
halcon
joec
slainte39
Carry Bean
hockables
bman2
35 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Where is the preferred/safest place to live? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

Post by Jim W Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:33 pm

gringomojado wrote:
Jim W wrote:
gringomojado wrote:Chapala Jail never had a break-in, as far as I know!

gm

Good one gringomojado! Please get bounced Beer from the board and get a shorter name....LOL

I thought it was nigh upon impossible to get bounced here?

Oh, why?

gm

It is gringomojado, however, my limited memory, lack of retention, and desire to personalize responses.....wtf, hard to remember your screen name.....me JIM....you nearly half the alphabet! LOL Surte My problem, not yours!

Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Where is the preferred/safest place to live? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

Post by slainte39 Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Si, por qué?

Me gusta la gringomojado nombre. Sabes lo que significa gringomojado, Jaime?

Probablemente, no es un gringoseco, pero un drunk lol! ¡Salud!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zanadu44 Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:07 am

We live a block from the San Antonio plaza and have excellent Mexican neighbors all around us, where everyone knows everyone. We feel extremely safe here and no worry about break ins. We love our house however we are selling because we need a bigger yard for our dogs. It will be sad to leave our neighborhood and just hope we can find a place that makes us feel just as safe and secure as we feel now.

Zanadu44

Back to top Go down

Post by elehne1 Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:32 am

We live in the village of Jocotepec and feel very safe. Excellent neighbors, large gated and walled property with plenty of room for our five dogs. Very Happy

elehne1
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Si, por qué?

Me gusta la gringomojado nombre. Sabes lo que significa gringomojado, Jaime?

I used to work for a big corporation that had a joint venture in Guadalajara. I got sick of corporate politics and went to work on the Mexican side of the JV. At first they thought I wouldn't stay so I worked as an illegal. After it became obvious that I would stay, the secured my FM3 with right to work. The corporation didn't object, as they wanted me there rather than with the competition. They later built a huge plant in Zapopan, and I rejoined the corporation and made "big" money in USD.
I wasn't any happier though than when I was making pesos and fewer at that as the Mexican side couldn't pay much.
My"apodo" or nickname (everyone in Mexico has an apodo) was "gringo mojado" it stuck even after I became legal. Oh, nobody understood north of the border, why I would take a lower paying job in Mexico. It is hard to explain the allure of life in Mexico for some!
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:57 pm

There is no one safest, best place. We prefer a rural lifestyle, such as Chapala Haciendas, Las Brisias or Roca Azul. [Security is mostly you-are-on-your-own - too many ways in and out to be called secure] Others prefer the closeness of village life where you can walk to the markets and eat from a corner vendor. Still others prefer a secure gated community. You need to look around a bit and find your own level of comfort.

I lived in the Colorado high country, so when someone asks if it is safe, I say, "Sure - I haven't seen a mountain lion or a bear since I've been down here". It all depends on what frightens you.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Flamingo wrote:There is no one safest, best place. We prefer a rural lifestyle, such as Chapala Haciendas, Las Brisias or Roca Azul. [Security is mostly you-are-on-your-own - too many ways in and out to be called secure] Others prefer the closeness of village life where you can walk to the markets and eat from a corner vendor. Still others prefer a secure gated community. You need to look around a bit and find your own level of comfort.

I lived in the Colorado high country, so when someone asks if it is safe, I say, "Sure - I haven't seen a mountain lion or a bear since I've been down here". It all depends on what frightens you.

There's something for everyone. We actually owned a house in Roca Azul, and it's not a bad place to live IMO. The security needs a bit of beefing up, and the roads fixed, but other than that it was great. We didn't live there, however do invest in property. If we had to, I'd buy in there again, and be perfectly happy. Nice open spaces and very dog friendly. Our old girl loved the place.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bman2 Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:55 am

Thank you everyone for your comments and for those that sent PM's...bottom line is I need to be there, get the feel of the place, check out areas to live and rentals that are available. Looking forward to it! cheers
bman2
bman2

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:13 am

bman2 wrote:Thank you everyone for your comments and for those that sent PM's...bottom line is I need to be there, get the feel of the place, check out areas to live and rentals that are available. Looking forward to it! cheers

What kind of rentals are you looking for? I have five at the moment. 4 in the Raquet Club ranging from 500 a month to 1500 in the summer season, and one in Villa Nova, which for the summer season would be roughly $1100 a month. P.M. for details.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Flamingo wrote:There is no one safest, best place. We prefer a rural lifestyle, such as Chapala Haciendas, Las Brisias or Roca Azul. [Security is mostly you-are-on-your-own - too many ways in and out to be called secure] Others prefer the closeness of village life where you can walk to the markets and eat from a corner vendor. Still others prefer a secure gated community. You need to look around a bit and find your own level of comfort.

This is a good one...yesterday, one of my friends from the states was asking for prayer for their kid, as the school was in a lock down from a mountain lion sighting. :) It was refreshing to say the least.

To answer the op: My opinion is that I never hear of security problems from Los Arroyos Sur(as already mentioned out a ways west of Ajijic), El Dorado or La Juerta, which are all smaller gated communities. El Dorado, more of a resort type setting with condos and small homes, is in San Antonio Tlayacapan, near Walmart, Super Lake, Mailboxes Etc. and a bunch of little mom & pop restaurants within walking distance. SAT is centrally located along the lake. La Juerta, stylish small homes, not much amenities as far as a community pool and such, is on the west end of Ajijic. If you are not living in a tightly gated community, be sure you move somewhere where you have the right to make the home as secure as you would like. I'm with Flamingo, I like living out a ways and don't need to mention all of our deterrents but they are enough that I can feel as safe here as I need to feel.

Take into consideration that there are folks with a range of lifestyles from humble to eccentric. One isn't better than the other. When looking to rent or buy a home, look at the home from outside and imagine being a bad guy. How easily could you gain access into the home? Either make sure those areas are covered or look elsewhere. Look around the neighborhood and see what type of security has been set by other homes. If there are 5 homes on a street, 3 with razor wire, 1 with high walls you'd need a crane to gain access and the house you're looking at you can walk up to the house from the street and look inside the windows, you may think twice before renting that house because there's obviously deterrents set in place on the other homes from previous break ins in the area. Maybe one house doesn't have bars on all of it's doors and windows but there is a high wall, alarm with security cameras. Or a few large intimidating dogs roaming in the yard. When you come down for a visit, spend time visiting with real people with real experiences living here. If you live in a village with wall to wall homes, get to know your neighbors, who will look out for you. Many of those homes are fine with security bars on windows, good security locks on doors and watchful neighbors. Be aware of what other people are doing as a guide for the area you choose to live in. Make sure your home isn't the least secure home. Those are the ones targeted first.

It doesn't really do any good to use the lakechapalacrime site as a guide because all of the crime is NOT reported on that site but it does give you an idea of what types of crimes we have to be prepared for living here. There virtually is no area lakeside that is exempt, except possibly the jail, lol I hear they even steal your sandwich while visiting there.

There are homes within areas that have been hard hit by several break in waves that are doing just fine. Breakins and violent crime happen among the poorest of the poor as well. Live at peace and make the best of it.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:42 pm

[quote="bman2"]Seriously planning a move to Ajijic within the next 4 months, will be visiting in the next 2 months looking at properties for rent...single guy just retiring. Reading here/elsewhere seems like break and enters are a serious problem. Looking for some guidance relative to safest areas to live and some precautions long term residents have taken to protect themselves. Thanks for this great board and everyone's participation, it has been a great help to me.
[/quote]

With all due respect, if I had to ask the question (knowing there have been serious problems of break and enters) where the safest place to rent, I personally would not want to rent or move here. Most likely the intruders who break and enter are targeting the NOB's as they have the money. As far as drugs, the cartels target the Mexicans and their families. As far as precautions, same as in the sates.

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:30 pm

little italy wrote:
bman2 wrote:Seriously planning a move to Ajijic within the next 4 months, will be visiting in the next 2 months looking at properties for rent...single guy just retiring. Reading here/elsewhere seems like break and enters are a serious problem. Looking for some guidance relative to safest areas to live and some precautions long term residents have taken to protect themselves. Thanks for this great board and everyone's participation, it has been a great help to me.

With all due respect, if I had to ask the question (knowing there have been serious problems of break and enters) where the safest place to rent, I personally would not want to rent or move here. Most likely the intruders who break and enter are targeting the NOB's as they have the money. As far as drugs, the cartels target the Mexicans and their families. As far as precautions, same as in the sates.

Well said Little Italy, and I agree, he sounds paranoid! If he is already worried about breakins, he is probably the victem of NOB press! Like there aren't breakins NOB! Smokealot I know drugs aren't an issue NOB either!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:27 am

Let's not take his concern as paranoia. Obviously he wants to move here or he wouldn't have posted it. When you consider the NOB press re Mexico lately, it's not surprising he doesn't want to move into a crime ridden neighborhood. Who would?

If I were a worrier, I'd look for one of the gated enclaves that has a history of few robberies, like Los Arroyos Sur. It is also a pleasant place, but probably has high rents. I think John mentioned a neighbor who is charging $1300 a month for a rental.
I don't think there's much trouble in El Parque, another gated enclave. Very conveniently located to shopping.

If I weren't a worrier, I'd go for living in Ajijic Village.......near all the activities and restaurants. I'm not, and that was my choice.

If I were on a tighter budget and weren't a worrier, I'd go for Jocotepec or Chapala.
Nice shoreline, friendly people and some good restaurants.

I'm not familiar with the other villages........so I won't make suggestions.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:44 am

gringal and others - There are only 2 rentals in Los Arroyos Sur, one is $ 1,300 a month, large house with Casita. That will be taken on April 1, once the present renters move out. Another house rents for $ 1,000 a month for summer only while the lady goes back to Canada. My casita is available, but I think that's smaller than what he's looking for.

I strongly suggest that if he wants to look at a wide variety of rentals in many areas and different price ranges that he go to: www.accesslakechapala.com Mario Garcia owns and runs that website.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:05 am

If I wanted to move into a gated community I would consider Vista Alegre. Nice community with what appears to be good security, that is not "double walled", and in a fairly central location. Easy walk to quite a few retailers and restaurants
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:12 am

CanuckBob wrote:If I wanted to move into a gated community I would consider Vista Alegre. Nice community with what appears to be good security, that is not "double walled", and in a fairly central location. Easy walk to quite a few retailers and restaurants

You never hear of problems there, but the OP would have to see if there are rentals.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:16 am

There are rentals there. I know of people that rented there in the past and a few that currently rent there now. I really like the open "neighborhood look" of this community.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:30 am

Another thing. If one is addicted to the internet as am I, I would want to ensure that the community (the house) I am considering has good internet access.

Often when the community is too far from say the ISP or your DSL DSLAM card, the internet speeds are too slow. To check my speed I go to www.speedtest.net and get for example, right now
Where is the preferred/safest place to live? - Page 2 2564042747

If good internet access isn't that important, or if you don't need that high speed, there are many places that have much slower speed.

Oh should you have access to Telecable their speeds are even higher
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:03 pm

I would like to say I am sorry. This string was about where is a safe place to live, and I highjack it and start talking about the quality or lack of quality of the internet.

I'm just saying, to me there many safe places to live. But I want a place that has reliable water, electricity, telephone and fast internet as well.

These days, unlike the 90s most communities do have reliable electricity, water etc. It's just that you should check that out too. What is less reliable are locations with fast internet.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Pete, on that rental site John referred to, you can check the box for high speed internet being one of the requirements.

Internet speed here is a mystery. We upped the cost to get higher speed and got nada better. For a while we were getting better speed on the low cost option. We're in Centro Ajijic.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:32 pm

MexicoPete wrote:I would like to say I am sorry. This string was about where is a safe place to live, and I highjack it and start talking about the quality or lack of quality of the internet.

I'm just saying, to me there many safe places to live. But I want a place that has reliable water, electricity, telephone and fast internet as well.

These days, unlike the 90s most communities do have reliable electricity, water etc. It's just that you should check that out too. What is less reliable are locations with fast internet.

I don't think you highjacked the thread, if fact, it's a good point. Internet and water availability are two things most new renters might not think of.
We lived in Vista Alegre for 1+ years and I thought it was very nice. When we moved to Riviera Alta my internet improved (same plan) by about 75% up and down.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:46 pm

gringal wrote:Pete, on that rental site John referred to, you can check the box for high speed internet being one of the requirements.

Internet speed here is a mystery. We upped the cost to get higher speed and got nada better. For a while we were getting better speed on the low cost option. We're in Centro Ajijic.

I'm assuming you have prodigy. I suggest you switch back to the lesser cost one. My renter for 3 years had prodigy in our casita and had the 260 pesos plus IVA plan. Total cost was 299 pesos. He was satisfied with that.

Pete, I think you brought up a valid point. We have always been happy with Lagunanet.

For any renter, it would be good to find out if some Fraccs or Communities have water problems as some do which I won't mention.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:26 pm

On TOB, there's a long thread of the water problems in various locations named by the posters.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:43 pm

The last time this issue was discussed in depth, I believe the consensus was that it was safer to live in an apartment complex than a detached house. Makes sense - as long as you don't have pets.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:51 pm

joec wrote:
gringal wrote:Pete, on that rental site John referred to, you can check the box for high speed internet being one of the requirements.
I'm assuming you have prodigy. I suggest you switch back to the lesser cost one. My renter for 3 years had prodigy in our casita and had the 260 pesos plus IVA plan. Total cost was 299 pesos. He was satisfied with that.
Pete, I think you brought up a valid point. We have always been happy with Lagunanet.
For any renter, it would be good to find out if some Fraccs or Communities have water problems as some do which I won't mention.
John: I would be interested in what speeds you are getting that far out. I know some folks who were not getting anywhere near what they were expecting using ADSL. Please do me a favor and do a www.speedtest.net test and share the results with us.

I truly hope your speeds will be acceptable. (Oh John, you will find this interesting but when I first moved here in 1997 the only ISP available was Lagunanet, and they were offering 28.8 K dialup download and we loved it. Now if we only had 288 K we would be complaining. We all want at least 100 times that or 2.88 Meg And yes I still have Lagunanet.

One nice thing about fixed WiFi (lagunanet) is that at greater distances they (you) still get great speeds, while with ADSL (Telmex Prodigy) the speeds drop off, the farther you are away from the distribution center (Your DSLAM card) especially if the telephone lines are not that great.

Again, please share your speeds with us. That could be a good sales advantage. Oh, your ex neighbors Bob and Kimi Dechamps also used and liked Lagunanet.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:02 pm

MexicoPete wrote:
joec wrote:
John: I would be interested in what speeds you are getting that far out. I know some folks who were not getting anywhere near what they were expecting using ADSL. Please do me a favor and do a www.speedtest.net test and share the results with us.

I truly hope your speeds will be acceptable. (Oh John, you will find this interesting but when I first moved here in 1997 the only ISP available was Lagunanet, and they were offering 28.8 K dialup download and we loved it. Now if we only had 288 K we would be complaining. We all want at least 100 times that or 2.88 Meg And yes I still have Lagunanet.

One nice thing about fixed WiFi (lagunanet) is that at greater distances they (you) still get great speeds, while with ADSL (Telmex Prodigy) the speeds drop off, the farther you are away from the distribution center (Your DSLAM card) especially if the telephone lines are not that great.

Again, please share your speeds with us. That could be a good sales advantage. Oh, your ex neighbors Bob and Kimi Dechamps also used and liked Lagunanet.

I don't understand the jargon above, but here goes.

241 ms
Download 0.17 Mbps
0.05 Upload

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next