INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

+31
sandykayak
Chapala Payaso
hound dog
lunateak
The Postman
zenwoodle
CheenaGringo
CHILLIN
MexicoPete
CanuckBob
little italy
MyHomeSweetHome
Flamingo
elehne1
Zanadu44
Trailrunner
LaChula
gringal
E-raq
Minervajt
juanrey
sampati
seisdedos
Jim W
gringomojado
halcon
joec
slainte39
Carry Bean
hockables
bman2
35 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Where is the preferred/safest place to live? - Page 3 Empty Re: Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

Post by joec Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:02 pm

MexicoPete wrote:
joec wrote:
gringal wrote:Pete, on that rental site John referred to, you can check the box for high speed internet being one of the requirements.
Internet speed here is a mystery. We upped the cost to get higher speed and got nada better. For a while we were getting better speed on the low cost option. We're in Centro Ajijic.
I'm assuming you have prodigy. I suggest you switch back to the lesser cost one. My renter for 3 years had prodigy in our casita and had the 260 pesos plus IVA plan. Total cost was 299 pesos. He was satisfied with that.
Pete, I think you brought up a valid point. We have always been happy with Lagunanet.
For any renter, it would be good to find out if some Fraccs or Communities have water problems as some do which I won't mention.
John: I would be interested in what speeds you are getting that far out. I know some folks who were not getting anywhere near what they were expecting using ADSL. Please do me a favor and do a www.speedtest.net test and share the results with us.

I truly hope your speeds will be acceptable. (Oh John, you will find this interesting but when I first moved here in 1997 the only ISP available was Lagunanet, and they were offering 28.8 K dialup download and we loved it. Now if we only had 288 K we would be complaining. We all want at least 100 times that or 2.88 Meg And yes I still have Lagunanet.

One nice thing about fixed WiFi (lagunanet) is that at greater distances they (you) still get great speeds, while with ADSL (Telmex Prodigy) the speeds drop off, the farther you are away from the distribution center (Your DSLAM card) especially if the telephone lines are not that great.

Again, please share your speeds with us. That could be a good sales advantage. Oh, your ex neighbors Bob and Kimi Dechamps also used and liked Lagunanet.

I don't understand the jargon above, but here goes.

241 ms
Download 0.17 Mbps
0.05 Upload

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Where is the preferred/safest place to live? - Page 3 Empty Re: Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:12 pm

I can drink faster than that!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:43 pm

John wrote ....."I don't understand the jargon above, but here goes.
241 ms Download 0.17 Mbps 0.05 Upload

John, that is terrible; you have a ping time of 241, a download speed of 0.17 MPS and an upload speed of 0.05 Megs. That is not much faster than dialup.

I just checked again and got Where is the preferred/safest place to live? - Page 3 2564853868 That means that my ping was almost ten times faster than yours, my download speed almost 32 times faster and my upload speed almost 13 times faster. And if you were to compare your speeds with folks who have faster connections you would even show worse ratios.

You need to do something about your ping time and your internet speeds. They are really very very bad. And could discourage a potential buyer. My grade was only a "C". Yours was an "F". I don't mean to be negative, but you really have to do something about your internet speeds and ping times.

Last edited by MexicoPete on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:46 pm

We should all be thankful that john has such horrible service! Can you imagine the damage he could do with just average speeds?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Jesus Neil, joec got 28 posts in today....more than double anyone else....and he is now off to dinner? He doesn't need high speed.....no speed might be better.....YA THINK? Where is the preferred/safest place to live? - Page 3 339824
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:17 pm

YUP! Garbage in and garbage out.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:50 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:YUP! Garbage in and garbage out.

Great Avatar Neil!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:40 pm

If internet speed is a biggie...........this is not the best place to be.

Last edited by gringal on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:49 pm

I pay for 3Mb, and I get more than that.

The water supply is 24hrs a day and great pressure.

I feel very safe and secure, and love Mexico.

There are casas available where I live, but I will need to be paid a finders fee before I identify the location Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:15 pm

MexicoPete wrote:John wrote ....."I don't understand the jargon above, but here goes.
241 ms Download 0.17 Mbps 0.05 Upload

John, that is terrible; you have a ping time of 241, a download speed of 0.17 MPS and an upload speed of 0.05 Megs. That is not much faster than dialup.

I just checked again and got Where is the preferred/safest place to live? - Page 3 2564853868 That means that my ping was almost ten times faster than yours, my download speed almost 32 times faster and my upload speed almost 13 times faster. And if you were to compare your speeds with folks who have faster connections you would even show worse ratios.

You need to do something about your ping time and your internet speeds. They are really very very bad. And could discourage a potential buyer. My grade was only a "C". Yours was an "F". I don't mean to be negative, but you really have to do something about your internet speeds and ping times.

Further, aren't you on Telmex prodigy comparing it to Lagunanet? You're comparing apples to oranges. We have Telmex wiring in our street into each house, so any homeowner can hook into prodigy and pick whatever high speed package they want. We have had the Telmex wiring in our street for 5 + years now.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:08 am

John: I've had lagunanet since I moved here in the fall of 1997 and all we had was dialup. Lagunanet was the first ISP available lakeside.

And John, check with your neighbors who has Telmex. Get them to do a speed test. You will find that the farther away you are from the central control center (DSLAM Cards etc) the slower the speed.

Get your to show their speeds on line like I did.

You live in a nice community John, no question about it. It's just that the farther you are away the slower the speeds. Oh and Lagunanet gives much better speeds in your neighborhood than you are getting.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 am

MexicoPete wrote:John: I've had lagunanet since I moved here in the fall of 1997 and all we had was dialup. Lagunanet was the first ISP available lakeside.

And John, check with your neighbors who has Telmex. Get them to do a speed test. You will find that the farther away you are from the central control center (DSLAM Cards etc) the slower the speed.

Get your to show their speeds on line like I did.

You live in a nice community John, no question about it. It's just that the farther you are away the slower the speeds. Oh and Lagunanet gives much better speeds in your neighborhood than you are getting.

Really don't care as I'm satisfied and not "obsessed" by Internet speeds. I'm happy and so was my renter who had Telmex prodigy cheapo package. I could have had Telmex prodigy here a long time ago, but I chose to stick with Lagunanet.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:37 am

Hey CanuckBob, what speeds were you getting when you lived next to John?
I know you couldn't possibly live with his dial up speed.

juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

juanrey wrote:Hey CanuckBob, what speeds were you getting when you lived next to John?

I don't have dial up. I have high speed internet.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LaChula Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:21 am

CHILLIN wrote:The last time this issue was discussed in depth, I believe the consensus was that it was safer to live in an apartment complex than a detached house. Makes sense - as long as you don't have pets.

apartment complex??

LaChula
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 am

LaChula wrote:
CHILLIN wrote:The last time this issue was discussed in depth, I believe the consensus was that it was safer to live in an apartment complex than a detached house. Makes sense - as long as you don't have pets.

apartment complex??

Maybe he meant condo "building" as in El Dorado which is a mid rise Condo apartment style building. No thanks after hearing of stories from people who bought in the so called "peaceful" environment. Not when Mexicans bring their famiilies in on weekends and the kids run up and down the hallways.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:00 pm

John: "I don't have dial up. I have high speed internet."

You might try Senor Google for the definition of high speed Internet? You are the one that provided your speed reading which probably doesn't qualify as high speed Internet?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:27 pm

joec wrote:
juanrey wrote:Hey CanuckBob, what speeds were you getting when you lived next to John?

I don't have dial up. I have high speed internet.

Sorry John, you do not have "high speed" internet.
As per your own post, you have "dial-up speed".

Notice I did not say you had dial up. I said you have dial up speed.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm

John every once in a while you need to unplug your modem, or in your case your Ethernet bridge and your router if you have one, let them sit unplugged for about a minute. And then plug that/them back in. What ever you do with your bridge do not push the reset button. If you do, you will mess things up

Really, John, the speeds you shared with us are closer to old fashioned dial up; and not the high speed internet offered by Laguna, Telmex or Telecable.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:47 pm

This thread has become hilarious...

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:29 pm

My speed in LAS was ridculously slow. I have 3 times the speed in the village with a TelMex package that is half the price ($999 vs $499).
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by The Postman Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:13 am

I know very little about computer speed,etc. but there is a signal strength indicator in the lower right corner of my laptop. It was generally at 3 bars and sometimes 4. I have Telmex's cheapest package. I would lose internet and phone service appox once every week even though my neighors would have service. I went to telmex and talked to the rep there. Within two days they came out and ran a new service from the pole to a connection box using black wire and one new line into the house using light white wire. This was a free service. I then asked about a second line run into the house so I could have a second phone. That had a fee of 688 pesos and I said ok. The telmex man came out right after the weekend and ran a second line from the connection box using the heavy black wire to the otherside of the house. The signal strengh there is always 5 bars or the top reading where the heavy black wire is used. I believe the wiring here has as much to do with the phone and internet service as the distance. It is all traveling in wires and how often it is tapped into makes a difference as to the service quality. I am retired so dial up would help me get to the pace I should beliving at.

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 am

[quote="CanuckBob"][quote="juanrey"]Hey CanuckBob, what speeds were you getting when you lived next to John?

You people are sure mean - CB has spent a fortune with local psyches trying to get that short period in his life behind him - and you have to dig it up all over again!! Where is the preferred/safest place to live? - Page 3 851398
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 am

Bob still rents the house next door to me, but a nice couple that are his friends will move in soon.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:46 pm

joec wrote:

Bob still rents the house next door to me, but a nice couple that are his friends will move in soon.

So you think your new neighbors are a nice couple, huh?
Boy, are you in for a surprise....
You should have been able to figure out what kinda folks they are based on the people they hang with.
Thumbs up
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:58 pm

razberry
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next