INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

+31
sandykayak
Chapala Payaso
hound dog
lunateak
The Postman
zenwoodle
CheenaGringo
CHILLIN
MexicoPete
CanuckBob
little italy
MyHomeSweetHome
Flamingo
elehne1
Zanadu44
Trailrunner
LaChula
gringal
E-raq
Minervajt
juanrey
sampati
seisdedos
Jim W
gringomojado
halcon
joec
slainte39
Carry Bean
hockables
bman2
35 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Where is the preferred/safest place to live? - Page 4 Empty Re: Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

Post by lunateak Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:58 pm

razberry

lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Where is the preferred/safest place to live? - Page 4 Empty Re: Where is the preferred/safest place to live?

Post by joec Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:42 pm

juanrey wrote:
joec wrote:
juanrey wrote:Hey CanuckBob, what speeds were you getting when you lived next to John?
I know you couldn't possibly live with his dial up speed.

Bob still rents the house next door to me, but a nice couple that are his friends will move in soon.

So you think your new neighbors are a nice couple, huh?
Boy, are you in for a surprise....
You should have been able to figure out what kinda folks they are based on the people they hang with.
Thumbs up

It's a good thing you're joking otherwise CBob would throw your a.s of this forum. LOL. I've met Lisa and Mike many times, especially Lisa. We have always had good renters next to us.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Having met Mike and Lisa, I have to wonder if they fully considered the neighborhood?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:25 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Having met Mike and Lisa, I have to wonder if they fully considered the neighborhood?

I'll let CBob answer your sarcastic comment or I can refer it to them. I CAN tell you for a fact that they're gonna love it!!!! Especially since its one of the "BEST" in Ajijic, although you wouldn't know that since you don't live in Ajijic nor have any interest in Ajijic.

I think a good idea for you would be to join an Albuquerque forum where you belong.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:38 pm

UNCLE.............................................. Basta
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Well since you asked John, here is my opinion.......... LAS is indeed a beautiful gated community like you have stated a thousand times however it was not for me. I came to Mexico to experience the Mexican lifestyle and culture. I found that these "gringo inhabited" gated communities keep you isolated from the Mexican culture. I also found that living there requires a vehicle in order to do anything and I prefer to walk as much as possible. As I stated earlier, if I were to ever live in a gated community again it would have to be more centralized and not be double walled.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:42 am

CanuckBob wrote:Well since you asked John, here is my opinion.......... LAS is indeed a beautiful gated community like you have stated a thousand times however it was not for me. I came to Mexico to experience the Mexican lifestyle and culture. I found that these "gringo inhabited" gated communities keep you isolated from the Mexican culture. I also found that living there requires a vehicle in order to do anything and I prefer to walk as much as possible. As I stated earlier, if I were to ever live in a gated community again it would have to be more centralized and not be double walled.

Well said, CBob and your comment inspires The Dawg to add my own. We are in San Cristóbal de Las Casas at present and, after a week on the road meandering about on a circuitous drive from Lake Chapala through Puebla and Oaxaca States and the Soconusco, we are finally at our Highland Chiapas home, have parked the car and are prepared to walk or taxi (cheap in San Cristóbal) everywhere in the weeks to come pulling the car out of the garage over the next months only when venturing to areas remote from San Cristóbal. In fact, we even take taxis to the supermarkets (Chedraui, Sam´s Club and Bodega Aurrera) here where taxis cost $25 Pësos anywhere in town and are plentiful with courteous drivers always lined up to ferry one from home to market to home and help with the loading and unloading of groceries. One reason we chose San Cristóbal as a community for a second home was its excellent walkability especially in the city´s historic colonial center. Relatively flat and concentrated in a small area with several pedestrian-only streets crowded with shops and restaurants. A walker´s dream. Within a couple of blocks of our home here, a huge indigenous market with a selection of vegetables and produce, animals both alive and slaughtered and dressed and countless other items too many to mention - overall a huge variety of comestibles fresh off the farm or goods from the taller and dirt cheap in comparison to the mostly abastos supplied tianguis at Lakeside.

While Ajijic is not a similar walker´s dream, it is also a great walker´s town if one pays attention to a few cardinal rules one of which is to never, ever reside up the hill, especially in some gated community where one becomes a slave to one´s automobile and beholden to his/her neighnbors and can walk nowhere without first driving down and then back up some steep hill where one has isolated oneself from the goings-on in the commuity below. The fact is that we moved here about the same time John did and, in Six Corners, paid about the same price he did for his home in LAS but only after we forbad the real estate agent to even so much as consider showing us a house up the hill - especially in a gated community. I say that not to criticise John´s choice but to tout the alternative.

We lived on hills and seaside cliffs in the San Francisco Bay Area for many years with splendid views but this was to be our retirement haven and we knew that as we grew older, access to public transportation, easy walking distances and relatively flat terrain in a lively community would become more precious over time as we aged. We knew from our years in San Francisco that walikng up steep hills for the sake of a view was a heavy price to pay for that amenity. The features we insisted upon at Lakeside included:
* One story home with pleasant grounds so we could always retire to a garden during the day.
* Walking distance over flat terrain to essential shops, cafes and medical services.
* A property close to a community bus line.
* Easy access to lakefront beach strolls with our dogs without having to resort to driving. (The lake was then quite low and beach walks with dogs from San Juan to San Antonio feasilble.)
* A property set amidst the local community - not isolated among foreign retirees loath, generally speaking, to mix with the folks inhabiting their adopted community.

We have been in Ajijic for 12 years now and San CristĂłbal for six and these rules set out above have proven to be even more important as we have aged. That is not to say that living up the hill with splendid views is not also a great idea - just pointing ouut the advantages of living in the flats versus in relative isolation up the hill behind a gate. To each his own.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:14 am

Ditto re Dawg's comments. We've never regretted our choice and as time goes by and walking uphill takes more stamina......it's a pleasure to live in the middle of Ajijic village, walk to the lake (where you get a fine up close and personal view of said body of water), watch the water loving birds, dogs and kids having a fine time. If we go up on our roof, there's a lake "peek" through the trees.

It's all about choices, though. John is obviously pleased with his, so no blame.
That doesn't make it the "best", though, and the over-hyping can get tiresome. Properties are beginning to move, however, and I wish him the best in selling his.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Dawg:

You make a most interesting point! We visited Patzcuaro in February and met up with some folks who had volunteered to provide us with some "local's secrets" on finding artisans in various towns surrounding Lake Patzcuaro. After having a few cocktails at a local establishment, we took a hike UP to their house, which according to my GPS was just over 800 vertical feet higher than where we started at 7000'. Needless to say: I was reminded of just out of shape I was! On the flipside, it was a beautiful house but I sure wouldn't have wanted to tote groceries from the local market up that hill on foot.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapala Payaso Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:48 pm

"Especially since its one of the "BEST" in Ajijic."

Now there's an oxymoron for you.

Chapala Payaso
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sandykayak Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:28 pm

My 2/2 in the gated community (24/7 guards AND Lobo, our German Shepherd) of El Parque is available for long-term rent. Anyone interested, pl email me at sandykayak at yahoo dot com

Excellent amenities such as solar heated pool, spa, clubhouse, mini-gym etc. The small, front yard is fenced in and suitable for breed dog.

sandykayak

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:37 pm

sandykayak wrote:My 2/2 in the gated community (24/7 guards AND Lobo, our German Shepherd) of El Parque is available for long-term rent. Anyone interested, pl email me at sandykayak at yahoo dot com

Excellent amenities such as solar heated pool, spa, clubhouse, mini-gym etc. The small, front yard is fenced in and suitable for breed dog.
There is also pool volley ball twice a week.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bman2 Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:16 pm

My departure for Ajijic has been delayed several months for business reasons...damn! Anyway I'll likely come down for a 2 week vacation in the next couple months to explore the area. I want to live in the community, able to walk everywhere and not own or drive a car, enjoy the village life and people. Cant wait to get there...thanks everybody for your posts, much appreciated.
bman2
bman2

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:42 pm

If you are interested in a casita (with a pool) right in the heart of Ajijic village, 2 doors down from the LCS, 1 block from the lake and 3 blocks from the plaza let me know.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chimba Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:18 am

Hey Everyone,

Seemed best to jump into this thread, instead of making a new one. My wife and I will be coming from San Miguel to Lakeside next Wednesday the 20th of March to look for a place to rent long term. We've noticed a few places in"The Raquet Club" online and also noticed there were no bars on any the windows. She is from Bogota and is always concerned with safety, as one is growing up in Bogota.

We presently live in a gated community in San Miguel called "El Encanto", that is well guarded and there are no bars on any of the windows. There hasn't ever been a robbery here according to the guards and residents. Just looking for the same level of safety. As with anyone, we don't want to be robbed.

So, I'm looking for some feedback on the safety and general lifestyle in the "Raquet Club" as well as some other suggestions as where else to look. We have a brand new SUV and we both speak Spanish if those are factors.

Chimba

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Raquet Club is fine,,, as long as you upgrade the doors, windows, alarm system, the family dog ( bigger is better) keep a large chunk of rebar by your bedside.... and a large container of Gin....
or so I'm told!!

Oh... Stay Outta The Pool.... U can catch Crabs or Herpes .. or sumthin

Last edited by hockables on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pool Warning)
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:44 pm

And don't mind driving 15 or 20 minutes (or more in traffic) to just about everything.......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartdude Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:14 pm

CanuckBob wrote:If you are interested in a casita (with a pool) right in the heart of Ajijic village, 2 doors down from the LCS, 1 block from the lake and 3 blocks from the plaza let me know.

Time for a banner ad CBob?
Bartdude
Bartdude
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Almost nuthin better than a good laugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Great Idea Bart...jaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Splashingcolor Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Since you asked, the apartments across the street from the police station are pretty safe...:)
Splashingcolor
Splashingcolor
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Profound yet witty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4