INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving Rule Question

+23
Zedinmexico
gringal
Ezzie
Rosa Venus
Trailrunner
Jim W
ralphie
viajero
seisdedos
hound dog
Pedro
slainte39
solajijic
Flamingo
brigitte
gringomojado
RoofBob
MexicoPete
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
cosalamx
zenwoodle
hkrause
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Driving Rule Question Empty Driving Rule Question

Post by hkrause Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Out driving today and did something I've seen many others do, and have also done myself. One "gentleman" took offense, laid on his horn, followed me to my destination, jumped out of his vehicle and offered an excessively loud verbal assault that would make a drill seargent proud. He continued to yell after I rolled up my window and after I got out of my car (which I almost didn't do, considering the look on his face brought concerns about my safety). Hoping the best course of action was to ignore the onslaught, hubby and I suggested he get over it, and went about our business.

Now, even an inconsiderate, rude, self-righteous, anal-exit can be right about things occasionally, so I wanted to ask about the legality of what I thought was a logical maneuver, also performed by others. It would be legal in the US, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with driving laws here and would prefer not to get a ticket in the future if I'm in the wrong, so...

Carretera in front of Walmart, heading east toward Chapala. Two lanes at the light. When the light is green (no left turn arrow) and there is nobody in the left lane, is it incorrect to go straight from the left lane? There are two lanes continuing beyond that, and no sign that I can see indicating the left lane is for left turn only, but maybe I missed something. There were multiple cars slowed in the right lane (somebody turning into Walmart or stopped to buy from a vendor??), so I continued in the left lane, which was empty. Once the offended party had followed me to my stopping point, he "indicated" that I made an illegal move (and he had several other comments about my driving ability, which he'd obviously gleaned in the few minutes he was tailing me in a rage).

So, from those folks with knowledge of the driving laws, can I get input so I don't end up getting stopped if I'm misunderstanding based on US laws? Considering the personality of this afternoon's instructor, I'm not at all confident I should change my driving habits based on his suggestions alone. Thanks!

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Driving Rule Question Empty Re: Driving Rule Question

Post by zenwoodle Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:40 pm

I have always treated the left lane at the lights as left turn only, and the right as the through lane as that was what I saw others doing.

I do not know if there is a worn out painted left turn arrow in that lane or not.

zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by cosalamx Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:48 pm

There was certainly a left turn arrow painted on the road at some point. I think that a left turn light is generally accepted as a sign that the left lane is for left turns.

cosalamx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Seems to me that the intersection in question has had a "history" going back many many years. Not only has it provided a healthy share of accidents but is also a revenue source for the Transitos who seem to make up the rules as they see fit. Since that lane revision was made, I have always treated the right lane as the one to be used when going straight and the left lane for left turns only but since "rules of the road" seem to be suggestions in Mexico - who knows?

Whether you were right or wrong, the jackass had no business harassing you and was way out of line! I would be willing to bet that one could follow him for less than 30 minutes and observe any number of reasons to correct his actions.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:41 pm

I have seen transito's ticketing people going straight through the left hand lane as well as those turning left when the turn flasher has stopped flashing.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Technically I understand that what you did is not right, especially if the arrow is still painted on the pavement, which I don't remember seeing.

But gosh this is Mexico and folks are doing it all of the time. And I didn't think it was any big deal :) But I'm just guessing.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:01 pm

I think you were right Heather. You can only turn left with a green arrow, with the green light you can go straight. BTW, what did the guy who harassed you look like, what kind of car and didja notice the license plates?
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks, everybody for providing some clarification. Apparently at one time (at least) there was no going straight in the left lane if there was an arrow painted on the street. I don't remember seeing an arrow painted on the road... I might have missed it, it might have faded, or maybe been removed. Will check again next time I'm there.

Yeah, lots of people go straight there, but then again I frequently see people turn left on a red light in various places, which I'm pretty sure is wrong (and I don't plan to follow their lead). Honestly, I'm not trying to justify what I did if it's incorrect... it just seemed logical since the lane continues straight and I didn't see an indication not to.

CheenaGringo, thanks for the comments about this fellow's behavior. I'm a pretty reasonable sort and wouldn't have minded an explanation from him in a civil manner. In fact, I'm interested to learn about proper driving (insert laugh) and behavior here. But yeah, his attitude and approach was out of line.

Bob, he was gray (!) with a beard, medium build, dark SUV of some sort. I don't really care too much, don't want to start anything with him, and hope to never meet him again. I don't know if he was just having a bad day and decided to dump it on me, but hopefully he got it out of his system. Still a little shakey from having somebody come at me like that, though.

Heather

Last edited by hkrause on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit to remove license plate info - not important)
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:11 pm

What language was he cussin in? we have to narrow down who he is!
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Driving safely in Mexico or for that matter in many foreign countries requires a different mindset in my opinion. I throw out the typical NOB perception of traffic laws, accepted rules of the road, who has the right of way, what vehicle turn indicators mean, what speed limit signs mean and any thoughts that I know I am right. My priorities are that I avoid any and all confrontations, I minimize the chances of getting in accidents, I drive fast enough that I minimize the chances of being hit from behind & only have to worry about what is in front of me, I refrain from drawing the attention of Transitos, State Police and the Federales and make a serious attempt from beating the heck out of whatever I am driving. Since I am going on my 15th year of driving in Mexico without a ticket or accident, I may be doing something right?

If nothing else, driving in Mexico necessitates being quick of thought and reflexes! Maybe a "synthetic drug" capable of delaying the onset of Dementia or Alzheimer's?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:08 pm

A man did that to us one day but because we turned right at the light towards la Floresta. He hollowed us to our house about 2 km down the road and was threatening to beat up my husband..he was a Canadian ex cop from Toronto. I got rid off him by getting my huge mastino out of the house and threatening to let the go on him...Got to fight fire with fire.
You see all kinds of stuff going on on the road and it seems that some foreigners go nuts when they see other foreigners do what Mexicans do routinely.
Sometimes people are not sure of the rules and break them it is not a reason to go nuts. SOme people really need to relax..Road rage seems to bea NOB problem.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:14 pm

At some point there was a turn only sign over the highway at that intersection but that was maybe 4-5 years ago. Since then I have always turned in the left lane and gone strait ahead in the right lane. That seems to be what most people do.

I too have seen people dash through in the left lane, but not many.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:41 pm

Everyone in the left lane should turn left. If you go straight in the left lane thru the light you run the risk of hitting me as I merge from the right hand lane into the only lane past the light. And yes it used to be well marked.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:41 pm

hkrause wrote:Thanks, everybody for providing some clarification. Apparently at one time (at least) there was no going straight in the left lane if there was an arrow painted on the street. I don't remember seeing an arrow painted on the road... I might have missed it, it might have faded, or maybe been removed. Will check again next time I'm there.

Yeah, lots of people go straight there, but then again I frequently see people turn left on a red light in various places, which I'm pretty sure is wrong (and I don't plan to follow their lead). Honestly, I'm not trying to justify what I did if it's incorrect... it just seemed logical since the lane continues straight and I didn't see an indication not to.

CheenaGringo, thanks for the comments about this fellow's behavior. I'm a pretty reasonable sort and wouldn't have minded an explanation from him in a civil manner. In fact, I'm interested to learn about proper driving (insert laugh) and behavior here. But yeah, his attitude and approach was out of line.

Bob, he was gray (!) with a beard, medium build, dark SUV of some sort. I don't really care too much, don't want to start anything with him, and hope to never meet him again. I don't know if he was just having a bad day and decided to dump it on me, but hopefully he got it out of his system. Still a little shakey from having somebody come at me like that, though.

Heather

I think the bottom line is that the guy was simply an asshole. Hopefully he will pull that routine on the wrong person soon enough and get the smack he deserves.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 pm

So may I assume he was an "anglo" asshole?

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:37 am

The left lane is definitely a turning lane and the right lane is for thru traffic. Visible or no visible arrows on the hiway won't save you a confrontation with Transito. There are/were arrows in the right hand lane directing traffic into the left lane immediately past the semáforo. The left lane past the traffic light can be used only from the intersection by vehicles turning left approaching from the libramiento
You were wrong driving thru the intersection....he was wrong with attitude and actions.
Left turn lanes anywhere in Mexico governed by left turn traffic light green arrows are for left turns only.
Look for...."vuelta con flecha"...that tells you the left lane is a turning lane.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:07 am

what slainte39 said
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:44 am

Sometimes people make mistakes, are not familiar with the rules or the customs so big deal you give them a break..Following someone screaming and ranting about something like that shows to me the other driver has a personal problem.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:14 am

brigitte wrote:Sometimes people make mistakes, are not familiar with the rules or the customs so big deal you give them a break..Following someone screaming and ranting about something like that shows to me the other driver has a personal problem.

Ya never know who is armed and/or dangerous!

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:17 am

Or under the influence of certain drugs!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:39 am

brigitte wrote:A man did that to us one day but because we turned right at the light towards la Floresta. He hollowed us to our house about 2 km down the road and was threatening to beat up my husband..he was a Canadian ex cop from Toronto. I got rid off him by getting my huge mastino out of the house and threatening to let the go on him...Got to fight fire with fire.
You see all kinds of stuff going on on the road and it seems that some foreigners go nuts when they see other foreigners do what Mexicans do routinely.
Sometimes people are not sure of the rules and break them it is not a reason to go nuts. SOme people really need to relax..Road rage seems to bea NOB problem.

Just to eleborate on what my wife said above, this incident happened some ten years ago as we approached the traffic light at the libramiento and the carretera just east of La Floresta. On the carretrera at that intersection there is a right hand merge lane so traffic approaching the interesection can stop briefly on the libramiento before turning right on red and merging into the left lane as one approches La Floresta. We have been doing this for some 12 years now, have observed others doing this countless times and traffic coming from the east on the carratera has always allowed a civilized merger of traffic turning right on a red light from the llibramiento. This has never been a problem even though we have been doing this all that time except that one occasion with that ex Toronto cop in front of whose car we merged one day who then followed us home and threatened to give me a good thrashing as I had not only committed an illegal act but had had the temerity to merge in front of him thereby deeply affronting him. I retorted that he was retired, no longer in Toronto and that I had not solicited his opinion. He made some threatening gesture at which time my wife opened the gate to our garden and introduced him to Puppy, our somewhat edgy 150 pound Neopolitan Mastiff who rushed out to greet his daddy and that was one scary assed dog. Our new acquaintance from Toronto then had to hastily enter his vehicle and drive off, probably to his home to change his underwear. I, of course, nave never been in nor ever will go to Toronto so I learned nothing from the episode and have been turning right at the intersection and merging ever since for maybe ten years without so much as a hint of trouble from courteous drivers who have invariably let me in in a civillized manner. Perhaps driving in a big city such as Toronto over the years breeds incivility in drivers, I do not know but I drove in L.A. and San Francisco for years and stayed mellow. Maybe it is the lack of snow in those places or just the locations of those cities in California.

As for that incident that started thise thread, I think some drivers from the U.S. are fooled by the fact that the green light at the intersection is a general green light and not a green arrow pointing straight ahead as would be the case normally in the U.S. where a general green light at an intersection like that would mean that one could go straight ahead or turn left in the absence of oncoming traffic. There should also be a large left turn arrow painted in that left lane indicating that that lane is for left turns only and then only on the left turn arrow, Once you get used to it, the intersection functions well. As for drivers driving straight ahead in the left lane at that intersection, it has been my experience that drivers driving straight ahead in the left lane at that intersection are almost always local aggressive scofflaws such as those racing down the right lane heading east through La Floresta in that lane not intended as a driving lane passing other cars on the right in a mad race to get to Chapala as if that were a goal worthy of committing an illegal act and endangering everybody around the miscreant. Over the years I have become accustomed to this as should we all.

Those of you upset about the way people drive at Lakeside should drive around Chiapas or Oaxaca State a while where there are special rules for accomplishing your misssion and wild assed driving is the rule rather than the exception. Just remember when driving down here that any two lane highway with a paved shoulder is a four lane highway and you had better get your butt out of the way of drivers driving faster than you as they may very well run over you if you do not hug that shoulder.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:50 am

Makes you wonder how those drivers would have comported themselves when there were no lights....well always one and then two. And then when the light fixtures went up but didn't work and there were no bulbs. And then when there was one bulb wich worked but was different in each fixture. And then when the light fixtures fell open and it was just a bulb with no color. And then when the fellow from the municpality drove down the carretera in the pickup truck with a standing 8 foot ladder in the back and would stop in the middle of the intersection, get out, and climb the ladder to put in a 40 watt bulb in any one of the three he chose. I do miss those days. WE really had to be on our toes and nice to each other.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:57 am

People coming from countries wehere things work all the time feeel entitled and have no patience, people from countries where thing may or may not work know they need to work with other people and are a whole lot more tolerant.
You can always have an occasional bully but as a rule people are more tolerant and aware of what is going on or you have total anarchy and some countries do have that too but it is not the case in Mexico as a rule.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:03 pm

hound dog wrote:
brigitte wrote:A man did that to us one day but because we turned right at the light towards la Floresta. He hollowed us to our house about 2 km down the road and was threatening to beat up my husband..he was a Canadian ex cop from Toronto. I got rid off him by getting my huge mastino out of the house and threatening to let the go on him...Got to fight fire with fire.

Just to eleborate on what my wife said above, this incident happened some ten years ago as we approached the traffic light at the libramiento and the carretera just east of La Floresta. On the carretrera at that intersection there is a right hand merge lane so traffic approaching the interesection can stop briefly on the libramiento before turning right on red and merging into the left lane as one approches La Floresta. We have been doing this for some 12 years now, have observed others doing this countless times and traffic coming from the east on the carratera has always allowed a civilized merger of traffic turning right on a red light from the llibramiento. This has never been a problem even though we have been doing this all that time except that one occasion with that ex Toronto cop in front of whose car we merged one day who then followed us home and threatened to give me a good thrashing as I had not only committed an illegal act but had had the temerity to merge in front of him thereby deeply affronting him. I retorted that he was retired, no longer in Toronto and that I had not solicited his opinion. He made some threatening gesture at which time my wife opened the gate to our garden and introduced him to Puppy, our somewhat edgy 150 pound Neopolitan Mastiff who rushed out to greet his daddy and that was one scary assed dog. Our new acquaintance from Toronto then had to hastily enter his vehicle and drive off, probably to his home to change his underwear. I, of course, nave never been in nor ever will go to Toronto so I learned nothing from the episode and have been turning right at the intersection and merging ever since for maybe ten years without so much as a hint of trouble from courteous drivers who have invariably let me in in a civillized manner. Perhaps driving in a big city such as Toronto over the years breeds incivility in drivers, I do not know but I drove in L.A. and San Francisco for years and stayed mellow. Maybe it is the lack of snow in those places or just the locations of those cities in California.

As for that incident that started thise thread, I think some drivers from the U.S. are fooled by the fact that the green light at the intersection is a general green light and not a green arrow pointing straight ahead as would be thw case normally in the U.S. where a general green light at an intersection like that would mean that one could go straight ahead or turn left in the absence of oncoming traffic. There should also be a large left turn arrow painted in that left lane indicating that that lane is for left turns only and then only on the left turn arrow, Once you get used to it, the intersection functions well. As for drivers driving straight ahead in the left lane at that intersection, it has been my experience that drivers driving straight ahead in the left lane at that intersection are almost always a local aggressive scofflaws such as those racing down the right lane heading east through La Floresta in that lane not intended as a driving lane passing other cars on the right in a mad race to get to Chapala as if that were a goal worthy of committing an illegal act and endangering everybody around the miscreant. Over the years I have become accustomed to this as should we all.

Those of you upset about the way people drive at Lakeside should drive around Chiapas or Oaxaca State a while where there are special rules for accomplishing your misssion and wild assed driving is the rule rather than the exception. Just remember when driving down here that any two lane highway with a paved shoulder is a four lane highway and you had better get your butt out of the way of drivers driving faster than you as they may very well run over you if you do not hug that shoulder.
muchos gracias for your lengthy dissertation on an incident that only relates to the op as far as the road rage. it is my understanding though,that cali is the world's capitol for road rage but now i have digressed. in any event,the op has lived here long enough to know that the right hand lane in that location is the"only" straight through lane and what she probably did was cut the "nasty" guy off as he was "properly" trying to merge left after the intersection.in the almost 7 years that i have been here,i have seen very few mexicans or ferners do what she did wrongly.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Well in 12 years of driving in Mexico all over the place I have seen many people all over the country make mistakes or just plain old break the rules and I have not seen any road rage except for the one we experienced or the one the OP experienced.
I do not know if the man insulting her was a foreigner but I know the man was ran away at the sight of our dog and was threatening my husband was a foreigner from Canada because he told us so.

How much driving do you really do Pedro. How many times have you personally driven to Guadalajara for example in the last 7 years? Any extended trips to big cities lately?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next