INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving Rule Question

+23
Zedinmexico
gringal
Ezzie
Rosa Venus
Trailrunner
Jim W
ralphie
viajero
seisdedos
hound dog
Pedro
slainte39
solajijic
Flamingo
brigitte
gringomojado
RoofBob
MexicoPete
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
cosalamx
zenwoodle
hkrause
27 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Driving Rule Question - Page 4 Empty Re: Driving Rule Question

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Yep, this is a 4 lane Mexican highway.

Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:24 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Maybe for 4 Smart Cars? But a max of 3 lanes for regular size and there isn't room for 3 semis or buses at the same time.

Yep, true. And no shoulder either. hahahaha
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Don't forget that, when on the west coast, you have to be in the far right lateral to make a left hand turn or a right hand turn off the highway. You cannot make a right or left turn from the highway itself UNLESS there is NO lateral.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:21 pm

ferret wrote:Don't forget that, when on the west coast, you have to be in the far right lateral to make a left hand turn or a right hand turn off the highway. You cannot make a right or left turn from the highway itself UNLESS there is NO lateral.

Then how could you ever get off the highway to the lateral? An exit diagonal to the right would still require a turn signal...and what if the traffic is backed up at such an "exit"?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Exit diagonals are numerous but the traffic can get backed up. Perhaps I should have said there are no perpendicular right turns from the highway IF there is a lateral.
It took us a while to understand the system over there and, while learning it, have driven miles out of our way. Bucerias is particularly bad and PV is just plain annoying because it employs that system AND normal left turn lanes. Going to any destination for the first time is a crap shoot.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:08 pm

I KNEW you were referring to PV!!! What a friggin' nightmare it is until you get it down. lol

I'm convinced the people that design the highways and transportation systems of this country don't drive, never have, and never expect to.

I mean, how else can you explain this:
http://mexicantrailrunner.blogspot.mx/2009/09/things-that-make-you-go-hmmmmm-sept_26.html
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:10 pm

[quote="CheenaGringo"]Maybe for 4 Smart Cars? But a max of 3 lanes for regular size and there isn't room for 3 semis or buses at the same time. [/quote]

What are you trying to say CG, four smart cars on any two lane cuota with standard shoulders meeting simultanuously in opposite directions on any of those cuotas and asserting that those two lanes plus the shoulders constitute four lanes and are intelligent enough to pull off that illusion even exist statistically . So, let us use the specific example of the relatively new autopista from Chiapa de Corzo to just outside of San Cristobal as an example.

This drive when we first came here in about 2004, was over a twisting and hair rasing, tortuous mountain road that normally took about two hours unless, of course, you plunged down one of countless precipitous cliffs to your certain death around dangerous curves you had to negotiate en route as fate would have it. Then, they opened the new autopista up the embankment that rose some 6,000 feet straight up the mountain that cut the driving time from over two hours to about 45 minutes. Now, let us say you could cut that 45 minutes to 42 minutes by risking the necks of you and your family and God knows who else by passing on a blind curve to gain a few seconds. Well, why not. Sure, many have been crushed to death or burned alive after numerous accidents cause by this impulsive behavior but, whet the hell, this is you, the king or queen of the mountain road and you know what you are doing so screw the hicks dtriving around you who are all imbeciles.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Dawg:

A minor correction to your premise: that particular photo was not a section of a cuota even though it may appear to be so. I can assure you that within a mile or two of that section, you will find a more typical asphalt section with so many potholes that one cannot drive 30mph. In the 5 or 6 years that we were forced to drive that particular section of libre, there was never a time repairs to the asphalt wasn't being performed on multiple sections. Given the number of trucks and buses that are constantly tearing into the road surface, road crews have probably spent their entire working lives on that section. While hard to determine in the photo, I can assure you that the outside lane on each side is no wider than a half lane and that the truckers and bus drivers are always trying to help you out by signaling it is OK to pass by their definitions. My definitions are quite different!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:04 am

You know I drive a true off road 4x4 imported from Northern Japan. It has an auxillary air horn, which are not expensive to install, it has a big paddle switch on the dash, and its sound is a pleasant but loud toot, like an ice cream cart. If you are coming up to blind corners on narrow roads you toot to warn possible oncoming traffic. You can also see this in effect in that TV reality show when the sent the Ice Road Truckers to India, to some of the most dangerous mountain roads on the planet.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:50 am

In Barbados the roads are narrow with many curves and small hills. It is customary--heck, necessary-- to beep whenever you come upon a hidden turn or rise.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:44 am

Beeping on narrow turns also done in Hawaii.
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 am

[quote="CheenaGringo"]Dawg:

A minor correction to your premise: that particular photo was not a section of a cuota even though it may appear to be so. I can assure you that within a mile or two of that section, you will find a more typical asphalt section with so many potholes that one cannot drive 30mph. In the 5 or 6 years that we were forced to drive that particular section of libre, there was never a time repairs to the asphalt wasn't being performed on multiple sections. Given the number of trucks and buses that are constantly tearing into the road surface, road crews have probably spent their entire working lives on that section....

Oh, I am skeptical, CG. Having grown up in the 1940s and 1950s in the then very poor state of Alabama, I vividly remember that in that state and in other poor states throughout the country, corruption and graft were commonplace. In Alabama, the corruption was ubiquitous but especially in the highway department and state liquor store system. It was typical of road contractors in that state in those days to pave roads with inadequate methods and materials so it would become necessary for that contractor, in cahoots with his pals in the state highway department, to be on constant call for road maintenanc work that went on seemingl;y forever.

As an example in Mexico, the autopista from just south of Minatitlan, Veracruz to Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas. which is the only practical approach to the Chiapas Highlands from the northeast, was originally opened in the early 2000s and a splendid thoroughfare over the mounain to the Chiapas state caiptal it was. The only problem was and is that the road bed is in constant disrepair with gaping and dangerous baches and entire sections that are in an almost perpetual need of regrading and repaving. That brand new two lane superhighway started coming to pieces almost as soon as it opened to the pubilc and this ongoing work has never ceased over the years. Now, thiis is amazing as we drive over autopistas all the way from Ocotlan, Jalisco to San Cruistobal de Las Casas several times every year and, while road beds all along the way are often in need of repair and maintenance, the Minatitlan to Tuxtla Autopista is a total disaster and a constant source of wages for road workers and cash flow for contractors. This has become quite a scandal in Chiapas which is trying to bolster its tourist trade and considers this access road from Veracruz to be a vital transpotation link for that purpose.

I smell a rat both here and on that stretch of road you describe and trucks and buses, which liberally use all of the autopistas we do for some 1,500 kilometers each way, are not the culprits or the entire route would be a disaster.

Perhaps one cannot help becoming cynical when noting that poverty brrds corruption seemingly around the world.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:29 am

Hey Heather...you sure can create controversy on the boards. Last time was your sister in laws weird eating habits. Keep it up girl, gives me a good laugh razberry
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:01 pm

All moot now: they just painted HUGE arrows on every corner at that intersection.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:13 pm

See! We DO have influence! lololololol
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:22 pm

See Heather...you can move mountains. Very Happy
Now maybe other folks won't have to suffer through your predicament.

Wouldn't it be ironic if "nasty man" did the good deed and put the pressure on to get the arrows painted....but I doubt if he had that much energy left. lol!

All this, just in time for the Semanta Santa locos.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:45 pm

it only took me a coupla days of driving there to see what to do because i am observant. some people call that defensive driving. didn't need no arrows.
defensive driving around here should be de rigueur. one of the reasons i have no trouble driving past traffic on the right with mi moto. oh, the other reason i can do that is because "load pipes save lives" which i have.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:52 pm

No question in my mind either Pedro, but Heather is a good person who meant no harm. Glad to help her out because she wants to learn...unlike a lot others.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Hey, we went through there today and couldn't help but notice all those bright white arrows on the road today! Almost like somebody is reading the board here and wanted to give me an official answer to my question. Excellent!

Slainte, thanks for the kind words. I'm a bit of a slow learner, but open minded and interested in figuring things out about this new environment. If accidentally going straight in a left turn lane is the most offensive thing I do while integrating myself, I'd be quite happy.

Joyful, I don't create controversy... it just seems to follow me around, a little like Pigpen and his dust cloud. Glad I can be of service to give people something to fuss over now and then.

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Here we go again with advice from the self promoting non-driver. Please tell us "OH great guru" about all of your extensive drving experiences in Mexico. And how many times was it that you managed to get lost during your drive from Canada down to Chapala with a POS Ford Ranger that had no business leaving the Province? Have you even accumulated 500 miles of Mexico Driving Experience since you arrived in Chapala? I can think of another self promoter that drives a Ford Eddie Bauer Edition Explorer who can probably drive circles around your experience level.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:34 pm

They've got the smashed-up car on barrels, too, just in time.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Heather, if it makes you feel better, I saw a Mexican with Jalisco plates - a local, I recognized him - blow straight through that intersection while in the left turn lane just yesterday. The only "big deal" that happened in your instance was the jackass who stalked you afterward.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks, Rosa. I already feel better having clarification on the issue. I've gotten over the other driver, and gained useful info that might help prevent me from getting a ticket at some point in the future. All is well!
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:58 pm

If I'm just through the right hand lane at that intersection and I see someone barrelling down the left hand lane straight through, I quickly pull into the left lane and slow down to 2k p/h just to "make my day". heh heh heh Twisted Evil ....and hope they follow me home.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:00 am

Cripes, that was you??
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:12 am

HelperGuy wrote:Cripes, that was you??

If you had followed me home....I'd found some computer work for you to do....a friendly punishment. Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4