INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving Rule Question

+23
Zedinmexico
gringal
Ezzie
Rosa Venus
Trailrunner
Jim W
ralphie
viajero
seisdedos
hound dog
Pedro
slainte39
solajijic
Flamingo
brigitte
gringomojado
RoofBob
MexicoPete
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
cosalamx
zenwoodle
hkrause
27 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Driving Rule Question - Page 2 Empty Re: Driving Rule Question

Post by brigitte Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Well in 12 years of driving in Mexico all over the place I have seen many people all over the country make mistakes or just plain old break the rules and I have not seen any road rage except for the one we experienced or the one the OP experienced.
I do not know if the man insulting her was a foreigner but I know the man was ran away at the sight of our dog and was threatening my husband was a foreigner from Canada because he told us so.

How much driving do you really do Pedro. How many times have you personally driven to Guadalajara for example in the last 7 years? Any extended trips to big cities lately?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:55 pm

brigitte wrote:Well in 12 years of driving in Mexico all over the place I have seen many people all over the country make mistakes or just plain old break the rules and I have not seen any road rage except for the one we experienced or the one the OP experienced.
I do not know if the man insulting her was a foreigner but I know the man was ran away at the sight of our dog and was threatening my husband was a foreigner from Canada because he told us so.

How much driving do you really do Pedro. How many times have you personally driven to Guadalajara for example in the last 7 years? Any extended trips to big cities lately?
nice waylay brigitt, the op was a question about"one" intersection which she admits using wrongly. your question to me has no relevance.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:56 pm

You have no relevance to start with.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Bingo!

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Pedro's too scared to drive in Guadalajara,don't let his fake badass biker bullshit fool you.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Peter writes

muchos gracias for your lengthy dissertation on an incident that only relates to the op as far as the road rage. it is my understanding though,that cali is the world's capitol for road rage but now i have digressed. in any event,the op has lived here long enough to know that the right hand lane in that location is the"only" straight through lane and what she probably did was cut the "nasty" guy off as he was "properly" trying to merge left after the intersection.in the almost 7 years that i have been here,i have seen very few mexicans or ferners do what she did wrongly. [/quote]

I cannot comment on that remark about Cali , Pedro as I have been to Colombia but Cali is most infamous for the drug cartel that operates there, not road rage in a town where exhibiting road rage with another unknown driver, especially one with tinted windows, is unhealthy. By the way, Cali is not the capital of Colombia wherein would lie the capitol if that were the case. The capital of Colombia is Bogota wherein lies the capitol edifice which is where the governing officials do business.

I consider it a great irony that we would have considered Highland Colombia as the best place to retire back in 2000 when we were considering alternatives but it was simply too dangerous in those days so we chose Highland Mexico instead and a few years later, the Calderon Cartel war started here and now we sometimes wish we had chosen Colombia, a fantastically beautiful country, instead.

By the way, in the seven years you have lived here in the Lourdes enclave of Chiapas where seven Eleven is the local fount of holy water, have you actually ever driven beyond Ajijic without those biker retards in tow or do you travel primarily electronically so you never have to leave the Fortin Azul there in Lourdes.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:04 pm

"the Lourdes enclave of Chiapas"

Boy!...from the intersection of the Libramiento and the Carretera to the HEAT capital of Colombia...Cali...do you guys ever digress. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:22 pm

talking about a geographically impaired bunch!!

Brigitte
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:48 pm

cali is short form for california,excited states,got nuthin' ta do with the famous tv detective columbo. whip out yer thesaurus that ya keep beside yer puter , senor burger roy. yes briggit,it appears your paramore is geographically impaired to say the least.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Pedro wrote:cali is short form for california,excited states,got nuthin' ta do with the famous tv detective columbo. whip out yer thesaurus that ya keep beside yer puter , senor burger roy. yes briggit,it appears your paramore is geographically impaired to say the least.

Do you really think anyone besides yourself thinks your writing style is the least bit interesting?
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphie Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:27 pm

So now we have been informed that Chapala expert has not driven anywhere and is afraid to drive to Guad. Now for the moto deal, how many moto clubs has he been kicked out of? When was the last time his moto made a roundtrip from his house to the malacon and back home? Here is clue for all to see: https://youtu.be/T0nlZTMGvYs
My guess that it is such unusual event that someone had to video for proof?

ralphie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:11 pm

ralphie wrote:So now we have been informed that Chapala expert has not driven anywhere and is afraid to drive to Guad. Now for the moto deal, how many moto clubs has he been kicked out of? When was the last time his moto made a roundtrip from his house to the malacon and back home? Here is clue for all to see: https://youtu.be/T0nlZTMGvYs
My guess that it is such unusual event that someone had to video for proof?

TFF ralphieDriving Rule Question - Page 2 411125, when did they take the training wheels off?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:18 pm

That's hilarious!!
Pedro,next time don't forget to wear your helmet,wouldn't want you to get hurt tooling around your cochera.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:21 pm

viajero wrote:That's hilarious!!
Pedro,next time don't forget to wear your helmet,wouldn't want you to get hurt tooling around your cochera.

He probably hurts himself every time he kick starts it let alone put it in gear.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:21 pm

wayda go ralphie, for putting on a vid of my beloved 60 year old beezer, after it was fixed by ron the mechanic. i have been kicked outta no moto club but we got rid of 3 gringos and 2 chicas from mc los ocultos. were you one of those?
i don't drive to guadalajara because i don't like to and don't have to-so what?
one of our younger members and i are going to truck our motos to mazatlan for the international meet-again,so what?
wasn't this discussion about something other than what i do or don't do?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:21 pm

slainte39 wrote:The left lane is definitely a turning lane and the right lane is for thru traffic. Visible or no visible arrows on the hiway won't save you a confrontation with Transito. There are/were arrows in the right hand lane directing traffic into the left lane immediately past the semáforo. The left lane past the traffic light can be used only from the intersection by vehicles turning left approaching from the libramiento
You were wrong driving thru the intersection....he was wrong with attitude and actions.
Left turn lanes anywhere in Mexico governed by left turn traffic light green arrows are for left turns only.
Look for...."vuelta con flecha"...that tells you the left lane is a turning lane.

Thank you for a good explanation of what to look for, compared to NOB, on the sign. Went back through there today. Yes, we see the "turn with arrow" sign, but I'd been told previously that just meant you can't turn left on green without the arrow, as you could in the US at such a light. It hadn't been explained to me that meant the left lane was for left turns only, which would be marked in the US with the previously discussed sign or arrow painted on the roadway. We checked carefully today and couldn't locate any such markings. We could faintly see a straight arrow in the right lane, which could easily be to indicate you shouldn't turn left from the right lane. At best, it's unclear about what the left lane is for without knowing the Mexican law for that left arrow sign.

Pedro wrote:...in any event,the op has lived here long enough to know that the right hand lane in that location is the"only" straight through lane and what she probably did was cut the "nasty" guy off as he was "properly" trying to merge left after the intersection.in the almost 7 years that i have been here,i have seen very few mexicans or ferners do what she did wrongly.
Pedro, we have been here since last August. I don't believe there's been any "left turn only" type markings there since we've been here. I've seen the left lane used both ways. We're usually in the right lane at that location, but since the right lane wasn't moving and based on my knowledge from elsewhere, it seemed completely logical to do what I did. Where I'm from, a green light AND green arrow would mean "You have the light and can either turn left or go straight." When it turns to green only (no arrow), that would mean "Both directions can go now, so if you want to turn left you must yield." If a lane is left turn only, it's marked. Without knowing otherwise, I assumed the same rules apply. This thread was started so I could learn of any difference I should be aware of, which slainte39 has helpfully provided. Your assumptions about what I "know" are incorrect. If I were purposely doing something wrong or trying to cut somebody off, I would not have posted here asking for clarification. I'm trying to learn proper procedures and road manners, and your condescending response wasn't helpful to the process.

Gringomojado, since you asked a couple of times... yes, he was anglo, a fellow gringo. Based on snide comments, I assume he's been here awhile and considers that his accumulated knowledge of the area makes him Lord-of-Recent-Arrivals. I have no doubt he has valuable info to pass on, but his attitude and approach was counterproductive to anybody being receptive to the message. Hopefully he was just having a bad day.

My thanks to everybody who commented about the previous markings and the fact that tickets have been given for people going straight there. Thanks especially for a better explanation of what the "left turn on arrow" sign means. Based on that, I'll assume the "left only lane" rule applies there, even without markings that I'm used to looking for. For anybody else who encounters incorrect road usage in areas that could be confusing (not counting people who are obviously being buttholes), it might be helpful to comment online for clarification. It would certainly be more productive than chasing down some gringo retiree in an attempt to give them a heart attack in retaliation!

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi Heather. Over the years I've seen that intersection become a goldmine for the predator transitos. I'm utterly convinced they keep it confusing and unmarked in order to work their shenanigans. Then WM went in and the whole intersection has now become a very dangerous (and lucrative) driving experience.

Probably to best navigate it safely would be to keep your eyes on the road and don't even look in any direction of any transito. When driving east and wanting to go straight, go to the right lane and go through then slide over into the left lane, BUT ALWAYS CHECK YOUR MIRROR FIRST. Be very careful of the 'passholes' who bypass the whole intersection by whizzing through the bus lane and then coming back out on the carretera thinking how smug they are - I've even seen a Chapala bus fly by like that without stopping at the bus stop. If you want to go up the Libramiento, wait for the arrow in the left lane.

Oh, and be advised the yellow light is about a fraction of a second and they love to snag unsuspecting newbies for "running the red". Also, never pay mordida! Never never never. Ask for the ticket - Dame el folio, dame el folio, dame el folio. It's a waiting game and they will eventually tell you to pase. If you pay. . .you will be marked as a mordida chump forever.

Sometimes (like weekends or Semana Santa!) I avoid the whole intersection completely by passing through San Antonio and La Floresta down below.

Be safe. Very Happy
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Good for you, Heather. All of us were new here once, and had to figure out how things work through trial and error. (Even if some people have forgotten when they were new and now consider themselves experts in everything.) I've been here five years and am still on the learning curve about a lot of stuff. Don't be afraid to ask.

There used to be a left turn arrow painted in that lane. I don't remember it being here when we arrived, but then it was there and now it's not. They re-paved the carretera about a year ago and it probably disappeared.

I've also seen people drive straight through from that lane several times, both Mexicans and foreigners. I've even done it myself (even though I knew it wasn't right) when the intersection was empty and it seemed ridiculous to move over to the right just to move back over to the left when no other cars were in the area. These days, even when there are no other cars around, I just sort of lazily drift over to the right and drift back.

It's no big deal, unless there happens to be a jackass around. Don't sweat it.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphie Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:49 pm

What a contrived prescription of BS and attempt at self promotion! Don't drive to Guad because you don't like to? Sort of intersesting concept if you have never done so. Do you even have a vehicle capable of making a trip around the block? Maybe you learning experiences of driving in Mexico have been learned from the rear seat in a taxi? As current member of a club that kicked you out, what would you care to know?

ralphie

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks, Trailrunner. There are laws/rules, then there is reality. It helps to have some idea about each. No, I've read enough about not paying mordida to realize it only perpetuates the problem when anybody falls for it. Thanks for the catch phrase... I should write that on my packet of car papers, alongside my insurance contact and Spenser's phone number!

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphie Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:04 pm

hound dog:

I would like to know just how the Southern States of Mexico rate a two lane road with a full paved shoulder lane? In Northern Mexico, they have what amounts to a three lane road. If vehicles are passing and approaching you - the vehicles on each side are expected to straddle the half lane on each side this making for a full width lane in the center. The system works well if everyone takes their plave and stays there - if not, one can be SOL!

ralphie

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Ralphie = troll

Please do not feed the trolls.........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:18 pm

We have a mountain road between Tuxtla and San Cristobal..2 lane roads that become 4 lanes (barely) it works with 3 cars and one bus, if you have two or 3 trucks or buses you are SOL.
It is not unusual as well to go around a curve and have a parked pick up, usually broken down, if 3 peoples are on the road you are also SOL....

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:29 pm

brigitte wrote:We have a mountain road between Tuxtla and San Cristobal..2 lane roads that become 4 lanes (barely) it works with 3 cars and one bus, if you have two or 3 trucks or buses you are SOL.
It is not unusual as well to go around a curve and have a parked pick up, usually broken down, if 3 peoples are on the road you are also SOL....

I noticed that on that road, in fact I thought people were very clever in how they were handling it. Everyone seemed to know how to make it work, of course we were in a taxi. . . I can see how a couple of different vehicle combinations could really make for a hair raising moment or two.

Viva Mexico! lol
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:31 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Ralphie = troll

Please do not feed the trolls.........

Actually, CB, gotta say. . .of the current crop of trolls, this one I kinda like. So far.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:34 pm

Once again!!!
The post has lost the thread, and the lunatics have again taken over the asylum Driving Rule Question - Page 2 374777

C`mon CB, step in and keep the fools from proving their idiocy. Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next