INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving Rule Question

+23
Zedinmexico
gringal
Ezzie
Rosa Venus
Trailrunner
Jim W
ralphie
viajero
seisdedos
hound dog
Pedro
slainte39
solajijic
Flamingo
brigitte
gringomojado
RoofBob
MexicoPete
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
cosalamx
zenwoodle
hkrause
27 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Driving Rule Question - Page 3 Empty Re: Driving Rule Question

Post by zenwoodle Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:34 pm

Once again!!!
The post has lost the thread, and the lunatics have again taken over the asylum Driving Rule Question - Page 3 374777

C`mon CB, step in and keep the fools from proving their idiocy. Beer

zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:47 pm

There are horrible accidents on that road like bus hitting cars head on and everyone dying in the fire, lost breaks name it we have it..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:08 pm

QED
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:50 am

Another intersection the needs clarification is the junction of Pepe Guizar and the Carretera in front of Soriana in Chapala. If coming into the light from the east, are you allowed to turn right on the red?

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:58 am

That is another area that is hairy, Ezzie. I can't answer your question, as I don't know all the street names right there so can't exactly place where you are talking about.

BUT, how about that little leg of access into Soriana from Madera (that passes the farmácia) where suddenly the lane directions just SWITCH! Left lane to go straight and right lane to exit. WTH!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:02 am

I do not know the answer either but I turn right, that little leg over there consuses me as well and the approach is an accident waiting to happen..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:08 am

Trailrunner wrote:That is another area that is hairy, Ezzie. I can't answer your question, as I don't know all the street names right there so can't exactly place where you are talking about.

BUT, how about that little leg of access into Soriana from Madera (that passes the farmácia) where suddenly the lane directions just SWITCH! Left lane to go straight and right lane to exit. WTH!
that actually makes perfect sense as the vehicles coming out of soriana can only turn left on pepe guizar so if you had the lanes the "normal" way, it would create havoc between those and the ones turning off madera.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:59 am

So if you want to exit the Soriana parking lot and head south on Madera, how are you "supposed" to do it?

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:09 am

Ah, the million dollar question.

Originally, there was a functional normal intersection about where the ped overpass is. BUT, apparently Soriana failed to ask the city of Chapala to install said intersection and the city got miffed and forced Soriana to remove it. hahah Pretty funny, huh?

To answer your question, you must exit the parking lot facing the restro and make a right, then make the next left, then the next right and go straight all the way on that until you reach the intersection at Pemex and either go right or left on Madera at the light.

hahaha Pretty dysfunctional huh?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:12 am

Haha. I remember when they changed the lane directions at that spot outside Soriana. The first time I navigated it, my eyes almost crossed.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:20 am

??? You mean you have to make the left onto Pepe Guizar then go down to the first right to go to the lights at the Pemex station?

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:27 am

Yes
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:34 am

Oops. Guess I better clean up my act!!

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:38 am

I've been sufficiently confused trying to head south from Soriana that I just gave up. Whenever we go there, I make it my final stop for the day, then head north and go home via the Libriamento. Problem solved. Very Happy
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:40 am

hkrause wrote:I've been sufficiently confused trying to head south from Soriana that I just gave up. Whenever we go there, I make it my final stop for the day, then head north and go home via the Libriamento. Problem solved. Very Happy

Yep. That's what we do, too. Gave up.

But then..........logic and Mexico don't necessarily belong in the same sentence, so there ya go.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:40 am

[quote="ralphie"]hound dog:

I would like to know just how the Southern States of Mexico rate a two lane road with a full paved shoulder lane? In Northern Mexico, they have what amounts to a three lane road. If vehicles are passing and approaching you - the vehicles on each side are expected to straddle the half lane on each side this making for a full width lane in the center. The system works well if everyone takes their plave and stays there - if not, one can be SOL![/quote]

Actually, Ralphie, that system of informally expecting vehicles both in front of and approaching the passing vehicle to pull over and drive on the shoulder until the passing vehicle has accomplished his or her maneuver,is in play in Southern Mexico even though it is technically illegal there to drive on the shoulder or to cross a solid yellow line indicating no passing allowed. On these two lane roads in Southern Mexico, it is often ,if not usually, the case where the passing vehicle is straddling or even fully crossing the solid yellow liine and if you are in an approaching vehicle if you value your life you move over to the shoulder as the passing vehicle has no place to go except head on into your vehicle. This recurring maneuver, commonly seen at all times in Southern Mexico, takes place on two lane autopistas and secondary roads alike if those secondary roads have sufficiently wide paved shoulders but on autopistas, it has become customary to expect both slower and approaching traffic to get the hell out of the way and drive on the shoulder for the duration of the passing maneuver. This sort of maneuver takes place not only on road sections where all drivers can observe oncoming traffic for a reasonable distance but on dangerous blind curves where these movements are suicidal. Since the opening of the two lane cuota up the steep and twisting mountain grade from Tuxtla to San Cristobal, there have been numerous terrible accidents as a result of this practice but that is just the way it is here so, over time, one learns that the only alternative available to those of us who must use this thoroughfare is to play the game in accordance with local custom and remain ever vigilant of oncoming traffic.

The three lane passing system you mention for some roads in the north of Mexico is something I have not experienced but that sounds similar to the old system they had in France in the 1960s and 1970 which they have since gotten rid of there because these roads were a virtual killing ground of gruesome accidents with regularity.

By the way, I fail to see where a discussion of regional driving customs in various parts of Mexico is a hijacking of a thread started by an OP questioning rules of the road perhaps unclear to foreigners recently having moved here. Although this was mainly a discussion of the infamous intersection of the carretera and libramiento in Ajijic and some disagreement as to whether or not that intersction is appropriately marked, other traffic anomaiies at Lakeside or in other parts of Mexico that might confuse the foreign driver deserve review here as well and, believe me, if any of you reading this thread ever drive for the first time in Southern Mexico, you will be wise to remember the observations I have made above.

As for the bully who precipitated this thread with his obnoxious behavior, his was a cowardly act directed toward a fellow foreigner because he knows, if he has lived here for any length of time that this sort of out of control road rage is not usually tolerated in Mexico and anyone who acts in this sort of uncivilized manner had better be prepared to defend himself physically or kiss the pavement.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:44 am

Rumoured that there is a new "Mega" going in on the west side further north of there, up by the Tecate warehouse. If that is the case, only way to get in to it would be to come from the north and exit going south on the Carretera.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Or from the South, exit before the Pemex, loop around and turn left @ the merging stop sign on the libremento back towards Soriano's. Either way a PITA!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:25 pm

Or maybe Mega will kiss (pay) sufficient local butt and get a real intersection installed that will be a keeper. If so, they will get a lot of Soriana business simply for the convenience and safety of exiting and entering the store.

Is there an ETA to opening?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:28 pm

Mexican route 2 in Sonora has the move over to let people pass in the center
rule. I did notice the road there had dashes along the shoulder instead of the
solid white line more commonly seen. First time it happens to you it kinda
makes you pucker up but after three round trips no sweat. Oh yea great when
you have a semi in the center imaginary lane coming at ya.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Until it was significantly improved a few years ago, the La Barca/Ocotlán highway had the same system, with a passing lane in the middle used by traffic going in both directions. It could be hairy during certain times of day/in heavy traffic. It's a breeze now.

I've been on roads like that in lots of different parts of Mexico.

(I like the Mega rumor. Some of them are pretty good.)
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:05 pm

That old La Barca/Ocotlan highway was enough to put hair on your chest during daylight but at night I was always sure I was going to die.

For a couple days after driving that I was a saint and then eventually the 'thank you jesus' effect would wear off.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:07 pm

I knew I had a photo somewhere of the concept being discussed:
[img]Driving Rule Question - Page 3 Img_0710[/img]

The above photo was taken of an unusually good section of the libre between Cuencame, Durango and Fresnillo, Zacatecas. This 250 mile section of highway was one of the most tiring I have ever driven in Mexico because of the semis and buses running the center line.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:17 pm

well that would be a 4 lanes in Chiapas...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Maybe for 4 Smart Cars? But a max of 3 lanes for regular size and there isn't room for 3 semis or buses at the same time.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Yep, this is a 4 lane Mexican highway.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down