INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WARNING!!! Using ATM Machines in Ajijic

+10
hound dog
David
martygraw
paradiseNative
simpsca
bobnliz
CanuckBob
Lehrer
Carry Bean
johninajijic
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WARNING!!! Using ATM Machines in Ajijic Empty WARNING!!! Using ATM Machines in Ajijic

Post by johninajijic Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:10 am

The following I received from a very good friend of mine. Please be careful…...

I wanted to send a warning out to all who use ATM cards in Ajijic. Several people have been taken for quiet a bit of money using the ATM machines at the Farmacia Guadalajara and Bancomer and other machines as well. There is a skimmer that is in the slot where you insert your card. It captures your information and pass code. Several people have had their accounts compromised and money has been stolen from the accounts. This has happened all within the last week. Please check your accounts if you have used these machines. The amounts stolen have been anywhere between 300 pesos to 2,700 pesos each time. This has happened to several people that we know of personally.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

WARNING!!! Using ATM Machines in Ajijic Empty Re: WARNING!!! Using ATM Machines in Ajijic

Post by Carry Bean Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Which Bancomer machine? I got the same email.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

WARNING!!! Using ATM Machines in Ajijic Empty Re: WARNING!!! Using ATM Machines in Ajijic

Post by Lehrer Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:56 pm

Is there no way to detect this "skimmer" before inserting the card? (For example, I've heard of a "black, plastic case" or some such that encases the slot.)
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:06 pm

Carry Bean wrote:Which Bancomer machine? I got the same email.

Don't know.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Lehrer wrote:Is there no way to detect this "skimmer" before inserting the card? (For example, I've heard of a "black, plastic case" or some such that encases the slot.)

Don't know.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:25 pm

You would think these banks would send people out to inspect their machines daily. It's pretty bad for their business and their reputations. In the world of banking reputation is everything.......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:36 am

I seem to remember that a while back someone posted information about how to detect a compromised ATM machine. There was a video.
Maybe a search would turn it up? Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:26 am

Here are a few links to photos or videos of ATM skimmer devices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3qK46L2b_c

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/atmcamera.asp
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks, simpsca!

That information is priceless!
(Sounds like a card commercial, don't it? lol! )
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:22 am

yes indeed! Thanks! Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:57 pm

There was a report to http://lakesidecrime.com/ about a card compromised at Superlake - the HSBC machine.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Think I'll make a point to tap, push, pull and try to move any component I can before inserting a card in any ATM machine. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:04 pm

bobnliz wrote:Think I'll make a point to tap, push, pull and try to move any component I can before inserting a card in any ATM machine. Lizzy

Damn, Lizzy! That reads like a sex manual!!!

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:00 pm

Lehrer, you're gonna have to stop living in your limbic brain! Lizzy bounce
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:32 pm

I spoke to Bancomer this morning and their ATM machines were NOT compromised.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:52 pm

I doubt they would admit it if they were..........as it's very bad for business.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:01 am

She seemed very surprised to hear of it. This was at the service office just off the Libriamento. She said they have cameras everywhere & she hadn't heard anything about it.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:40 am

CanuckBob wrote:I doubt they would admit it if they were..........as it's very bad for business.
My thinking exactly. The first line of defense is denial.
Shocked
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:36 am

Quite possibly right but who got their card copied from the Bancomer ATM? I'm always seeing people talking about how their accounts got cleaned out from other machines but I've never seen a poster talk about it happening at the Bancomer ATM's (unless I missed it) & I've been following the forums for a year.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Carry Bean wrote:Quite possibly right but who got their card copied from the Bancomer ATM? I'm always seeing people talking about how their accounts got cleaned out from other machines but I've never seen a poster talk about it happening at the Bancomer ATM's (unless I missed it) & I've been following the forums for a year.
All I can say is that the Original Post refers to Bancomer and "several people that we know of personally."

Johninajijic
, the onus is upon you to substantiate the accusation. As for myself, I don't use Bancomer and I'm quite cautious when using an ATM.

OP here:

WARNING!!! Using ATM Machines in Ajijic

WARNING!!! Using ATM Machines in Ajijic Empty by johninajijic on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:10 amThe following I received from a very good friend of mine. Please be careful…...

I wanted to send a warning out to all who use ATM cards in Ajijic. Several people have been taken for quiet a bit of money using the ATM machines at the Farmacia Guadalajara and Bancomer and other machines as well. There is a skimmer that is in the slot where you insert your card. It captures your information and pass code. Several people have had their accounts compromised and money has been stolen from the accounts. This has happened all within the last week. Please check your accounts if you have used these machines. The amounts stolen have been anywhere between 300 pesos to 2,700 pesos each time. This has happened to several people that we know of personally.
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:20 am

This was in an AARP publication:

"How can I tell if a "skimmer" has been put on my ATM?"
It can be hard. These devices that thieves attach to the card slot in order to capture account information from your card's magnetic strip have become more sophisticated. One tipoff: Most ATMs have a flashing light at the card slot. If the light is obscured, that's a sign of tampering. Other giveaways: a card slot that is not securely attached or has a different color than the rest of the ATM.

Use ATMs in bank lobbies and other places with 24-hour video surveillance. And always cover the keypad as you enter your PIN, because a thief's spy camera may be watching."
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by paradiseNative Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:59 pm

I think this illegal practice of obtaining information on plastic credit and cloned into the world have been escalating for many years.
But we know it is safe Ajijic by countless people who give testimony.

If at least the person who walks on this subject warning causing more details would be easier to identify which pocket is affected.

As well and is only to cause alert misinforming and harming the area.

Have a nice Day!
paradiseNative
paradiseNative

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:07 pm

We have been using ATM's in the area for 7 years now, (including the Bancomer and Farmacia Guadalajara ones0, with no problem at all, so, If John has any proof of theese machines being compromized, then he should produce it. Otherwise take it with a grain of salt.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:32 pm

I agree with Martygraw; we've been here 6 years and used the machines at SuperLake, Farmacia Guadalajara, Banco MultiVa, Bancomer, HSBC, and others with no problems.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:13 pm

johninajijic wrote:The following I received from a very good friend of mine. Please be careful…...

I wanted to send a warning out to all who use ATM cards in Ajijic. Several people have been taken for quiet (sic) a bit of money using the ATM machines at the Farmacia Guadalajara and Bancomer and other machines as well. There is a skimmer that is in the slot where you insert your card. It captures your information and pass code. Several people have had their accounts compromised and money has been stolen from the accounts. This has happened all within the last week. Please check your accounts if you have used these machines. The amounts stolen have been anywhere between 300 pesos to 2,700 pesos each time. This has happened to several people that we know of personally.

I don´t doubt the veracity or importance of this warning but, I must say that we have lived in Ajijic and Chiapas for a decade and have used ATM machines extensively in all sorts of banks and merchants in both of those places and all over Mexico and France and never had our accounts compromised or money stolen from our accounts. While fraud of this nature is, no doubt, a problem, it has never been for us and I wouldn´t lose sleep over this eventuality if I were you. I would, however, shade my PIN with my palm when entering it if I were you and I would also check my bank balances on line almost daily as a precaution.

When we moved here in 2001, the primary bank for Geezers was that Lloyd investment house, now Actinver. They took advantage of all the Goobers and they penny-pinched me for years. I haven´t darkened their doorstep in at least six years and never will again. Live and learn.

Last edited by hound dog on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next