INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone else noticed the price increase in dog food?

+9
zenwoodle
Pedro
borderreiver
Flamingo
CanuckBob
kiko
gringal
Perritonegro
Clueless
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Has anyone else noticed the price increase in dog food? Empty Has anyone else noticed the price increase in dog food?

Post by Clueless Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:57 pm

I went to the animal shelter in Riberas for some dog food and noticed that the brand I buy has gone from about $325.00 for a large size to over $400.00. I think this increase has been within the last year.

On a related subject, I see many pet food makers are touting their product is "MADE IN U.S.A."
Sounds good but I did a little sniffing.

Under existing laws, a product can say it is "made in the U.S.A. even if the components are sourced from outside of the U.S.A.

I recently noticed some items that say in bold and colored letters, "Assembled in the U.S.A." Come to find out that the parts/components are made in China or some other country, shipped to a company in the U.S. where they are assembled; sometimes nothing more than putting the parts into a case that the U.S.A. seller has.

I'm wondering how much of the dog food ingredients put into some major brands are sourced from China. And of course, I don't think Mexico has any oversight on this type of stuff, and if it did, I'm sure the regulators are easily placated if they find any issue.

EOS
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Has anyone else noticed the price increase in dog food? Empty Re: Has anyone else noticed the price increase in dog food?

Post by Perritonegro Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:05 pm

When the price of kibbled dog food exceeds the price per pound of, for example, hamburger it seems natural to explore again homemade diets. Especially as you describe origin of raw materials. Chicken poop is a by-product of chickens but don't want my dogs to have it. We are supplementing the Sam's Exceed brand, at over 800 pesos for the what was once 40#, with fresh veggies, rice, eggs and beef. Not perfect but I feel a lot better when feeding them.

Perritonegro

Back to top Go down

Has anyone else noticed the price increase in dog food? Empty Re: Has anyone else noticed the price increase in dog food?

Post by gringal Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:28 pm

If I currently had a dog, I'd be following the example of my friend who became suspicious of the ingredients in commercial dog food. She made her dog's food and said she was saving money in the process. At least she knew what was in it.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:34 pm

VAT on pet food, a "luxury item", began in 2014. 16% I think is the tax added on since then in Mexico.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:58 pm

gringal wrote:If I currently had a dog, I'd be following the example of my friend who became suspicious of the ingredients in commercial dog food.  She made her dog's food and said she was saving money in the process.  At least she knew what was in it.

If ever come the day I have to "make my dogs food" I won't have dogs............just saying!!
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:59 pm

kiko wrote:VAT on pet food, a "luxury item", began in 2014.  16% I think is the tax added on since then in Mexico.

VAT, as I understand it, is added to items not essential to sustaining human life. In other words, "people food" isn't taxed.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:03 pm

The VAT tax has increased the cost of pet food and incidentally increased the number of abandoned dogs and cats. Another good reason to donate a few pesos to your favorite local shelter.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:05 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
gringal wrote:If I currently had a dog, I'd be following the example of my friend who became suspicious of the ingredients in commercial dog food.  She made her dog's food and said she was saving money in the process.  At least she knew what was in it.

If ever come the day I have to "make my dogs food" I won't have dogs............just saying!!

Note, Bob:  I don't have a dog these days.  Guess why?

In the "olden days" there was no such thing as commercial dog food.
What do you suppose they ate?
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:20 pm

gringal wrote:
kiko wrote:VAT on pet food, a "luxury item", began in 2014.  16% I think is the tax added on since then in Mexico.

VAT, as I understand it, is added to items not essential to sustaining human life.  In other words, "people food" isn't taxed.

I understand that, however, the govt considers mascotas to be a luxury item.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304773104579268780408158814
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:16 pm

kiko wrote:
gringal wrote:

VAT, as I understand it, is added to items not essential to sustaining human life.  In other words, "people food" isn't taxed.

I understand that, however, the govt considers mascotas to be a luxury item.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304773104579268780408158814

If you think about this logically, a mascota is not necessary to a family's survival and is, therefore, a luxury. Like anything else in the budget, some people can afford to have pets and others can't. This is especially true when you consider the cost of vets.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:33 pm

De acuerdo
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:02 pm

gringal wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:

Note, Bob:  I don't have a dog these days.  Guess why?

In the "olden days" there was no such thing as commercial dog food.
What do you suppose they ate?  
lol!

Cats?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:07 pm

Our 10# mutt gets a mixture of cooked ground chicken/turkey (the good stuff), quinoa and peas. Occasionally some good canned food. Good kibble is available but mostly ignored. She gets 2 walks/day. Healthy, happy dog.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:08 pm

i don't care. we now have 6-so what.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Gringal said: "

"If you think about this logically, a mascota is not necessary to a family's survival and is, therefore, a luxury. Like anything else in the budget, some people can afford to have pets and others can't. This is especially true when you consider the cost of vets."

Gringal; IMO, you speak out of ignorance (meaning not knowing) of some facts. First, I will point out the hundreds if not thousands of times when a dog has saved a family by alerting then to a fire; of has come to the rescue of a human member of it's family who was being beaten, robbed or raped; sometimes at the cost of the dogs life.

A seeing eye dog isn't necessary for life; a blind person will live without one.

Dogs are used by the police and military in many instances, and are often on the front-line against the bad guy.

For some people, a dog may be their only companion if they are shut-ins.

Dogs will and have, laid down their lives for their human family and ask little in return.

I'll stop now though I do feel you should rethink your statement above.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:13 pm

Dogs come in all flavors: heroes to murderers. But that is not the subject, is it?

It's about the Mexican govt's decision to tax commercial dog food.
Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:19 pm

"I'm gonna buy me a dog, cause I need a friend now"
The Monkees. Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:34 am

gringal wrote:Dogs come in all flavors:  heroes to murderers.  But that is not the subject, is it?

It's about the Mexican govt's decision to tax commercial dog food.
Rolling Eyes

No, it wasn't the subject, however people do seem to greatly digress from the original subject matter; I was respectfully directing my comment in reply to what gringal said. I'm sure if I am out of line, the moderator will bring it to my attention.

Does anyone know if the government also taxes commercial cat food?

Thanks.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:02 am

Clueless wrote:.

Does anyone know if the government also taxes commercial cat food?

Thanks.
Pathetic troll alert.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:10 am

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought one of the purposes of this and other boards, is to discuss things of interest relating directly or indirectly to Mexico.

Quoting: In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]

It would seem that using the above definition,90% of the posts that ask questions or express opinions are from Trolls.

I think not.

Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:14 am

Clueless wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought one of the purposes of this and other boards, is to discuss things of interest relating directly or indirectly to Mexico.

Quoting: In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]

It would seem that using the above definition,90% of the posts that ask questions or express opinions are from Trolls.

I think not.

Clueless, I might not think you were a troll if you would explain why you care about taxation of cat food or the countless other questions you have.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:08 am

The world of trolls is a bit more complicated than that.
True, there are trolls who stir up the emotions of others and sit back to enjoy watching the fallout.
However, there are lonely social outcasts whose only contacts are on the Internet. They must constantly ask meaningless questions to generate the only attention they can garner in their sad, empty worlds. They are trolling for attention.
Then, there are the trolls who know a lot of people hold them in complete contempt. They also realize those people have valid reasons for that contempt. When their own self-loathing builds up, they get on line to  stir up those people. They are trolling for a spanking because it hurts so good.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:17 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:The world of trolls is a bit more complicated than that.
True, there are trolls who stir up the emotions of others and sit back to enjoy watching the fallout.
However, there are lonely social outcasts whose only contacts are on the Internet. They must constantly ask meaningless questions to generate the only attention they can garner in their sad, empty worlds. They are trolling for attention.
Then, there are the trolls who know a lot of people hold them in complete contempt. They also realize those people have valid reasons for that contempt. When their own self-loathing builds up, they get on line to  stir up those people. They are trolling for a spanking because it hurts so good.

Ya think somebody would volunteer to put on an English governess costume for the spanking act? lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:18 am

There is someone for everybody, so probably yes! ;)
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:35 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:There is someone for everybody, so probably yes! ;)

I once was at a party talking to an amusing guy who turned out to be a shrink, and the following tidbit often returns to haunt me:
"For anything you can think of, somebody's doing it, and furthermore, they're enjoying it".

This probably covers the mysterious pleasure of trolling in all its many forms. Twisted Evil

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next