INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TelMex Meeting

+15
solajijic
Kiri
REC
slainte39
hickton
gringal
MexicoPete
NoVaDamer
caligirl108
Bill Phillips
CanuckBob
tkessler2
sm1mex
SunFan
Trailrunner
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

TelMex Meeting - Page 3 Empty Re: TelMex Meeting

Post by ferret Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 pm

Trailrunner wrote:I'd kill for dial-up again.

128 kps? Surely you have better speed than that?

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:10 pm

1 down when the kids are out of school, 2 when they are in school, and 5 when there are no snowbirds, fewer tourists, and the kids are in school.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:28 pm

1 what? 1 megabyte per second? That's 7.8 times faster than dial up.
It sucks but you really don't want dial up.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:41 am

There were no portable phones, no computers, no Walmarts or Macs of any kind, no malls, no wide screen movies and TV had three channels if you were lucky. FM radio was quite new and a pack of smokes or a gallon of gasoline were less than a quarter. A new car could be had for $1299 and a luxury one for twice that price. Downtown was where we shopped, as there were no malls, and getting something from afar entailed looking through the Montgomery Ward or Sears Roebuck catalogs & sending an order by mail....the stamp was three cents. Most of us knew how to drive a tractor, or anything else, skin an animal, shoot a rifle, ski, paddle a canoe and wonder what sex would be like when we were married. Jobs were not a concern, as we would get one after college and live happily ever after. Those going directly to work after High School would find jobs easily in local factories, etc.  Life was pretty good, even if you got sick or hurt once in a while. Doctors where family friends and a hospital stay in serious cases was only $15 per day...a fortune which was a bit scarry, since $20 would buy groceries for the week for our family of six, with change left over.  That was about three score or more years ago and the dollar was actually worth something in precious metals and gold was only $20 per troy ounce. A movie date with popcorn was less than a dollar. The War was over and we were happy and secure. We could send and receive phone calls or telegrams. 
What the H happened to make us so dependent on the newest things, like internet, and so fearful of being without a portable phone or GPS. I use some of those things, but am perfectly capable of living without them. Wow! I can even read a map or create one, if needed. Admittedly, this typing is easier and faster than writing a letter, but......

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:49 pm

You're showing your age...... lol!

No one can live in the past very long and still be "connected" with the real world that my kids, grand kids, great grand kids live in.  You can either jump on the train for the ride or be left behind to die.
Not a hard choice for me. Just try to forget about "what used to be".  It's called "living evolution in real time".  I think each day....."I just got born again".... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy......but I don't have to learn how to walk and talk again.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:43 pm

Ah, but I can still remember those times, while most of my old friends have either died, or worse.
I can also remember when Telmex service was pretty good in both Ajijic and Chapala, but that they sometimes needed to be encouraged to tighten up things; especially the loose, twisted wires.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:55 pm

I'm done encouraging anyone or any company to tighten up things. That's supposed to be their job and it's called maintenance. I just get someone else to do it because dealing with Telmex is like talking to a brick wall.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3