INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STILL WANT TO SUPPORT FACEBOOK???

+18
CHILLIN
Zedinmexico
mattoleriver
Jreboll
Ida Claire
Frijoles
Rosa Venus
Trailrunner
ferret
slainte39
Lady Otter Latté
ComputerGuy
BisbeeGal
mudgirl
MexicoPete
CanuckBob
Heem
gringal
22 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

STILL WANT TO SUPPORT FACEBOOK??? - Page 2 Empty Re: STILL WANT TO SUPPORT FACEBOOK???

Post by Trailrunner Wed May 27, 2020 9:14 pm

And the video quality as well. I like Whatsapp too, excellent app. And I have a lot of fun on Facebook with my old friends far and wide, I've learned a lot too. Facebook became a monster incrementally and gradually, too late now. In the 10 or whatever years I've been a member I've never had anything happen like being hacked, or identity theft or whatever they say is supposed to happen.

Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

STILL WANT TO SUPPORT FACEBOOK??? - Page 2 Empty Re: STILL WANT TO SUPPORT FACEBOOK???

Post by mudgirl Wed May 27, 2020 10:15 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:
mudgirl wrote:I just call my friends and relatives. I've never had any reason to see Facebook as necessary.

How many hours a day do you spend on the phone?

Barely any. I'm not a big yakker. I call my daughters once every 10 days or so, maybe talk for 20 minutes. Don't call the grandkids nearly as much as I should, but they sometimes get on the phone when I'm talking to their moms. Friends I call randomly, maybe one a week, those conversations can run to an hour sometimes.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed May 27, 2020 11:39 pm

It's more of a case for most people of harvesting personal information to sell to advertisers and PR people. "Data mining", it's called. Although the data mining certainly is not limited to that.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed May 27, 2020 11:57 pm

I have a "fake" Facebook account, like Bisbee Gal described. Have had it since 2007 but rarely use it. Once in a while...I use it for similar dutiful reasons.

Living here, I use Whatsapp daily, constantly. When in Rome, etc.

And guess which company bought Whatsapp back in 2014?

mariachi
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 28, 2020 8:03 am

Exactly! FB is a monster.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Frijoles Thu May 28, 2020 8:08 am

Doesn't Facebook own WhatsApp?
Frijoles
Frijoles
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 28, 2020 8:30 am

Frijoles wrote:Doesn't Facebook own WhatsApp?

Yes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhatsApp

Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Ida Claire Thu May 28, 2020 10:20 am

Never did trust FB and don’t use it. I ignored all the flack from friends and family, so glad I did.
Ida Claire
Ida Claire
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 28, 2020 10:22 am

Why? Why are you so glad you did?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 28, 2020 10:26 am

I love Facebook. Use it for a multitude of things from advertising to staying in touch with all my friends and family. Off hand I cant think of one friend or family member who don't use it.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 28, 2020 10:54 am

I'm sure Zukerberg loves you back, CBOB!
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 28, 2020 11:15 am

Well like i said, there's nothing on there that wll be of any interest to him. Big brother's reading all your emails anyhow and tracking all your Google searchs.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 28, 2020 11:34 am

Bob's right, Gringal, makes you sound silly picking one app to rag and hate on when they all do the same thing. Do you use Google? Email? Yahoo? MSN? I could go on but . . . you get the point, right?
Right?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 28, 2020 11:36 am

I'm not so concerned about privacy, since privacy has long been dead for all of us.  I refuse to support businesses that advocate political and/or business policies that I find abhorrent.  Zuckerberg embodies all of those things, which is why I picked him for this bashing. I have no use for the other time wasting large social media, either, or their money grubbing owners.

My life doesn't include a need for Facebook, Twitter or any of its brethren or sistern.  There's plenty of "news" available on the net without them.  The problem is trying to figure out who's lying the worst.

However, to each his/her own. If you don't mind supporting Zuckerberg, and if FB enriches your life....enjoy it.
Beer

Last edited by gringal on Thu May 28, 2020 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 28, 2020 11:40 am

I do enjoy it and do not like Zuke either, but I doubt he makes much off of me. Jeff Bezos makes much more off of me and I don't like him either. Do you? Do you use Amazon? I think his morals are worse than Zuke, at least Zuke pays his employees a living wage and provides a pretty nice "workplace".
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu May 28, 2020 11:47 am

I think it matters a great deal as to the personal privacy settings that you use on Facebook or any other social media.
If it's wide open for everyone (and anyone to see) then I would worry about the personal (Auntie so and so or friend so and so) information that is available.
I have long thought that those scam calls who say they are (Auntie so and so or friend so and so) and have come for a surprise visit but got in a car accident... please send money... etc. etc.... get their information from wide open social networks simply by reading posts.
YMMV.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 28, 2020 12:03 pm

Good thought there, Ferret. So far, I've never had one of those calls. I do get many "junk" calls...which get blocked instantly. On TOB, there was one guy who found it amusing to string the caller along for ten minutes. That's what I call being desperate for something to do.

This week, I got so tired of the negativity and snarkiness of the people posting that I simply tiptoed out of TOB and quit posting. For the most part, the folks here manage to stay civil when they disagree. I hope it stays that way.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu May 28, 2020 10:14 pm

gringal wrote:I'm sure Zukerberg loves you back, CBOB!
lol!

Do you really think Zukerberg has changed Bob´s life? Knowing Bob, I sure doubt it:

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 28, 2020 10:24 pm

Zukerberg is a total prick but so is MC, but Gringal, you continue to support him.........lol.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu May 28, 2020 10:25 pm

gringal wrote:  On TOB, there was one guy who found it amusing to string the caller along for ten minutes.  That's what I call being desperate for something to do.

That´s the resident, know it all, GURU, who goes by the handle ´mostly lost´, should be ´completely lost´. lol!

That´s when he is not surfing the web to answer every question someone throws up on TOB.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu May 28, 2020 10:30 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Zukerberg is a total prick but so is MC, but Gringal, you continue to support him.........lol.

I don´t think gringal has any love for the coons, and even if she did, it sure hasn´t helped him any.
Well maybe………. he would be a total prick +, in stead of just an ordinary total prick.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Thu May 28, 2020 11:11 pm

gringal wrote:I'm not so concerned about privacy, since privacy has long been dead for all of us.  I refuse to support businesses that advocate political and/or business policies that I find abhorrent.  Zuckerberg embodies all of those things, which is why I picked him for this bashing.

That's exactly why I don't do Facebook. I also believe that it contributes to the "I'm so special" attitude which seems more and more prevalent. People seem to think that what they had for breakfast, or what cute thing their cat did today is of great interest to others. It's like reality TV shows- talentless people somehow becoming celebrities. As well, while it purportedly enables people to "connect", and I know a lot of people do use it like that, it also, in fact, promotes the opposite- if you aren't on Facebook to read about someone's party that you would be welcome to attend, no one can be bothered to personally call you and invite you. I get this all the time- "Hey, you weren't at the XX(whatever social event) on Saturday". "No one told me about it". "Well, it's been all over Facebook for a week."
I also don't have a Twitter account, a Snapchat account, an Instagram account, and I don't order anything through Amazon, who fired the whistleblower employees who outed the unsafe working conditions Amazon workers were being expected to work under during a pandemic.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri May 29, 2020 7:50 am

CanuckBob wrote:Zukerberg is a total prick but so is MC, but Gringal, you continue to support him.........lol.

I guess you didn't read my post. I finally got tired of the bickering there and quit participating. I don't see anything usefull about bashing TOB or MC, however. They aren't up for election.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Fri May 29, 2020 8:16 am

mudgirl wrote:
gringal wrote:I'm not so concerned about privacy, since privacy has long been dead for all of us.  I refuse to support businesses that advocate political and/or business policies that I find abhorrent.  Zuckerberg embodies all of those things, which is why I picked him for this bashing.

That's exactly why I don't do Facebook. I also believe that it contributes to the "I'm so special" attitude which seems more and more prevalent. People seem to think that what they had for breakfast, or what cute thing their cat did today is of great interest to others. It's like reality TV shows- talentless people somehow becoming celebrities. As well, while it purportedly enables people to "connect", and I know a lot of people do use it like that, it also, in fact, promotes the opposite- if you aren't on Facebook to read about someone's party that you would be welcome to attend, no one can be bothered to personally call you and invite you. I get this all the time- "Hey, you weren't at the XX(whatever social event) on Saturday". "No one told me about it". "Well, it's been all over Facebook for a week."
I also don't have a Twitter account, a Snapchat account, an Instagram account, and I don't order anything through Amazon, who fired the whistleblower employees who outed the unsafe working conditions Amazon workers were being expected to work under during a pandemic.

As I and others have said: you need not expose yourself at all on FB.  Create a dummy email account, use it to create a FB account.  Set your privacy to the max.  I post NO pics, make NO comments on my account, make NO comments on the few FB pages I visit, NO activity AT ALL, NO one can 'friend' me or contact me.  I have never gotten an email at the phoney baloney yahoo mail acct. that I set up to create the FB account.  I use FB to access FB accounts of restaurants, government sites and a few info sites that require me to have an FB account (Chapala Health Talk is a great resource now).  I am using Zuck more than he is using (the real) me.  

I don't have twitter, Snapchat or Instagram accounts either; but I am do shop at Amazon.  If you scratch hard enough at the surface of any business, ANY retail business, not just internet businesses, you will likely find they have a policy that does not suit you.  But we all need to eat, clothe ourselves, buy essentials like TP, shampoo, household goods and cleaners.  

I am a child of the 60s....but I am now IN my 60s and realize I have to find the best balance I can not just to survive, but to live a happy life.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri May 29, 2020 10:28 am

gringal wrote:

I guess you didn't read my post.  I finally got tired of the bickering there and quit participating. I don't see anything usefull about bashing TOB or MC, however.  They aren't up for election.
Beer  
Sorry.....I must have missed it. Good on you!!! Zuckerberg isn't up for election either.....lol.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ida Claire Fri May 29, 2020 10:54 am

Zuckerberg is so full of crap he should be named Compost.
Ida Claire
Ida Claire
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next