INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STILL WANT TO SUPPORT FACEBOOK???

+18
CHILLIN
Zedinmexico
mattoleriver
Jreboll
Ida Claire
Frijoles
Rosa Venus
Trailrunner
ferret
slainte39
Lady Otter Latté
ComputerGuy
BisbeeGal
mudgirl
MexicoPete
CanuckBob
Heem
gringal
22 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

STILL WANT TO SUPPORT FACEBOOK??? - Page 4 Empty Re: STILL WANT TO SUPPORT FACEBOOK???

Post by CanuckBob Fri May 29, 2020 8:20 pm

ComputerGuy wrote:I have to differ with that. It's only due to pressure from many independent sources that Slim donated anything to anybody before the start of the last 10 years or so. Before that he was known as the one rich guy who never supported charities.
And he was pretty much given telmex and telcel when they privatized many years ago. He got rich like the oligarchs in Russia.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

STILL WANT TO SUPPORT FACEBOOK??? - Page 4 Empty Re: STILL WANT TO SUPPORT FACEBOOK???

Post by mudgirl Fri May 29, 2020 8:36 pm

ComputerGuy wrote:I have to differ with that. It's only due to pressure from many independent sources that Slim donated anything to anybody before the start of the last 10 years or so. Before that he was known as the one rich guy who never supported charities.

True. I read an interview with him about 10 years ago. The interviewer asked what charities he supports and he answered None- that people should pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and not expect outside support. I guess he realized at some point that's not a good look or attitude from a multi-billionaire.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri May 29, 2020 9:41 pm

Yep. Slim is no philanthropist they had to shame him.

So. Can we all agree then, we each get to choose our favorite scum corporate CEOs and reject others?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri May 29, 2020 10:36 pm

gringal wrote:Anybody notice how few "nice guys" become kajillionaires?
lol!

Warren Buffet is the only one I can think of.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri May 29, 2020 10:37 pm

How about Bill Gates?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri May 29, 2020 10:42 pm

I think Richard Branson is a pretty cool guy.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Fri May 29, 2020 11:21 pm

Guys like Zuckerburg and Bezos, who I won't support by using their platforms, and think are scumbags, I can still appreciate for their vision- Facebook was a brilliant business idea, as was Amazon. But I have a hard time respecting anyone who just keeps making as much money as possible- once you have 100 million dollars, why bother making more? How many homes can you live in, how many private jets or yachts can you make use of, how many clothes can you wear? Even the ones who donate heavily to charity don't donate anything close to what would impact their lifestyle in any way. It's not like they're sacrificing anything.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri May 29, 2020 11:37 pm

ferret wrote:How about Bill Gates?

I may be off base, but I've always thought Melinda Gates was the driving force / hero there.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat May 30, 2020 7:50 am

LOL. Wow, a guy who listens to his wife. That impresses me as well.

Mudgirl, "how many clothes can you wear"... omg, echoes of my mum. I remember being very impressed with a new friend when I was about nine. I was yakking non-stop about her (home, clothes etc.) to my mum and saying "she has nine shirts in her closet!!!" and my mum replied "yes, but she can't wear them all at once". As you can see, it stuck with me.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat May 30, 2020 8:02 am

I think Bill Gates is probably a good man. Many hate him, though, for his business decisions and policies. But I agree with Rosa, I think it's Melinda who has really steered him into humanitarianism. What a team they are! The world is lucky to have them and we are better because of them. 

His favorite buddy is Warren Buffet, he's a good man too?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Sat May 30, 2020 9:11 am

Warren Buffet, whose wife encouraged his philanthropy, with Bill and Melinda Gates created the Giving Pledge.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giving_Pledge
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 30, 2020 9:30 am

Apparently Gates was a real dick when he was running Microsoft.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sat May 30, 2020 11:28 am

Trailrunner wrote:I think Richard Branson is a pretty cool guy.

Virgin Blue was found guilty of age discrimination in hiring of flight attendants.  He wanted only the young and the pretty.  Branson appealed all the way to AU Supreme Court, but lost and had to pay damages and change his discriminatory hiring practices.  https://www.smh.com.au/national/virgin-blue-loses-discrimination-appeal-20070406-gdpuo8.html

Gates' Microsoft criticisms have their own Wiki page, including lawsuits involving MS's characterization of too many workers as "temporary" in order to deny them health care and other benefits.  Cooperating with China's internet censorship, including removing a Chinese blogger who posted on a MS online service, after the Beijing government complained to MS.  MS also filtered put words like "democracy" and "human rights" from blogs hosted by them in China.  All this (and more) under Bill Gates leadership.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/06/technology/microsoft-shuts-blogs-site-after-complaints-by-beijing.html

As I said before, scratch the surface of any business and you are more likely than not to find some crappy practices.  

I am pragmatic.  If the only safe walking shoe that fits my feet is solely available at Amazon, I'll buy it.  If the only way I can read a restaurant's menu is via FB, I'll use it.  When I look for an airline flight I base my decision on schedule and price; I don't research the airline's history of discrimination or any other legal matter.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat May 30, 2020 12:31 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:
ferret wrote:How about Bill Gates?

I may be off base, but I've always thought Melinda Gates was the driving force / hero there.

Bingo..... Before he married he was a bit of an ass. Extremely short with people and he did not handle fools well. We use to sigh when he called for support at HP because we knew it would be a difficult call and yes he did call himself. Brilliant man but not a nice one 20 years ago. His wife is both smart and gets along with people.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat May 30, 2020 12:36 pm

Slim free museum in Mexico City (right next to Costco) is where he puts his extra money. The building was designed by his son in law and is fantastic. The art is a little bit strange as he has a little too much christ on the cross type of art but I did enjoy myself. He does have a great collection of Rodin statues and busts on one floor that is worth seeing. All free.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat May 30, 2020 2:09 pm

Old???? I used to have to send telegrams in order to get a response within a week for hotel reservations, etc!

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sat May 30, 2020 6:41 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:Old????  I used to have to send telegrams in order to get a response within a week for hotel reservations, etc!

Hey, I'm so old I remember when there weren't any ATMs and you had to carry travellers cheques when you went on vacation.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat May 30, 2020 8:20 pm

Hey, I'm so old I don't remember anything...!
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun May 31, 2020 8:16 am

Facebook is OK especially when keeping up with keeping up with younger relatives. But I much prefer the two lakeside forums to include this one.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun May 31, 2020 6:01 pm

MexicoPete wrote: But I much prefer the two lakeside forums

As you can probably guess, there are a number of us who don´t agree with you, for VERY GOOD REASONS

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:05 pm

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/facebook-employees-stage-virtual-walkout-to-protest-zuckerbergs-obedience-to-trump/

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Very happy to see this, thanks for posting this link MG!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:57 pm

And here's another:https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/black-leader-stunned-after-phone-call-with-facebooks-zuckerberg-he-lacks-the-ability-to-understand-race-issues/

This is an example of why I boycott both Facebook and Whatsapp (owned by Facebook). I realize I'm just a tiny half drop in the bucket, but I just refuse to support Zuckerberg in any way. And there is a movement afoot for everyone to close their Facebook accounts. He also sold something like $100,000 worth of ad space to Russian trolls before the 2016 election.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4