INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit

+20
CheenaGringo
Parker
slainte39
ferret
David
johninajijic
RoofBob
fastrak
merry
Chico
E-raq
borderreiver
hockables
juanrey
espíritu del lago
binky
Big Daddy Mexico
CanuckBob
Axixic
LMarkoya
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 am

Whether Taxi drivers are professionals or not, it's common courtesy to tip a taxi driver. We tip $ 50 pesos.

We will NEVER use those taxi drivers in the small cars at the Airport because we value our lives. They drive like maniacs. No thanks! We ALWAYS use Francisco's son Luis who has several diffrent types of very safe vehicles for your needs. If he's 20 or 30 pesos more, so what. He drives very safely and carries on a conversation in English. He picks us up at the Airport too. I believe he charges $ 350 to go in and $ 400 to pick you up, but ask.
TAXI
FRANCISCO
Office Tel: 766 1142 & 766 4917
Luis Cell Ph: 045 331 307 8289
Email: miramontes-transfer@hotmail.com

johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit

Post by binky Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:58 am

[quote="CanuckBob"]Yes, the fares have risen. The current rate at the taxi booth in the airport to Chapala/Ajijic is $380.00 MXN (quote]

For the last 7 years I've lived here, there's always been a daytime and nighttime fare differential, so guess it's even higher at night. Thanks for the tip.

Fast Facts in Mexico at Frommer's
www.frommers.com › ... › North America › Mexico › Planning a Trip
Fast Facts in Mexico. ... It is not customary to tip taxi drivers, unless they are hired by the hour or provide touring or other special services.

Mexico: Tipping & Etiquette - TripAdvisor
www.tripadvisor.com/Travel.../Mexico:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html
Remember that foreign coins have no value in Mexico. Not even the banks accept them. TAXI DRIVERS. People do not normally tip taxi drivers.

Tipping in Cancun
www.cancuncare.com/Money_in_Cancun/tipping.htm
Tourist advice regarding tipping in Cancun, Mexico. ... It is not necessary to tip taxi drivers, unless they perform an extra service like helping with bags or multiple ...

Tipping Etiquette
www.gomanzanillo.com/features/tipping/index.htm
In the case of taxi drivers, a tip is included in the price.

Tipping Like a Local in Mexico | Yucatan Holidays
www.yucatan-holidays.com/featured.../tipping-like-a-local-in-mexico...
31 Aug 2010 – taxi in Cancun A) It is the American instinct to tip the taxi drivers but when in Mexico, it is not necessary.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit - Page 2 Empty Tequila SHoot Off

Post by LMarkoya Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 am

merry wrote:
hockables wrote:Merry is Spot On about the Cell Phones.... never even occured to me...

but Herradura Blanco is the best bang for the Buck....

Should be a Must Have if'n you/re goin camping...:)

I DUNNO, Hockables,

sounds like we need a tequila shoot-off soon.

Merry

p.s. I keep a bottle packed in my camping gear box.

Should the planets align that there is a board meeting during our visit, I'll commit to bringing at least one bottle of each for the shoot off....Again thank you everyone for your assistance
LMarkoya
LMarkoya
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 am

We will make it so.........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 am

binky wrote:Perhaps fares have risen....last few times (in 2011) it was 360p daytime and 380p nighttime. 360p = $USD 25.13 at today's rate. Not the 50 bucks Merry so generously pays.

I stand my ground on the tipping of taxis....none is due unless he does something out of the ordinary. Ask any Mexican who isn't a cab driver.

Four more posts, four more posts... right Cbob?

Yes they have risen. Fifty bucks to or from the airport is a nice, round, safe number to get you to or from the airport and checked in. I do expect extra services and I do tip for them.

OTOH if I hail a cab, the guy doesn't grunt a word the whole trip, and he dumps me on the corner I ask, no tip was earned or needed.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:08 am

binky - So tip, tip, tip! They have waaaay less than you do and it's not going to affect your 401K or IRA. You can't take it with you.

You'll get better service when you tip and less service in a restaurant when you go back. Waiters remember.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:12 am

johninajijic wrote:binky - So tip, tip, tip! They have waaaay less than you do and it's not going to affect your 401K or IRA. You can't take it with you.

You'll get better service when you tip and less service in a restaurant when you go back. Waiters remember.

Of COURSE I tip waiters....15 to 20%. That's part of the deal, but it's NOT part of the deal with taxis. Go ahead and tip them if you want, but it is NOT customary to do so in Mexico.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:19 am

binky wrote:
johninajijic wrote:binky - So tip, tip, tip! They have waaaay less than you do and it's not going to affect your 401K or IRA. You can't take it with you.

Of COURSE I tip waiters....15 to 20%. That's part of the deal, but it's NOT part of the deal with taxis. Go ahead and tip them if you want, but it is NOT customary to do so in Mexico.

Totally wrong!!! I don't know ANYONE who does NOT tip taxi drivers! And 15 - 20% is NOT customary to tip waiters. It's 10 - 15%. I tip 12 - 15% whatever comes out in round numbers. 15% if they do a really great job or in a more classy restaurant of which there are none at Lakeside. You are spoiling them like people who pay their maids $ 50 pesos an hour. Mexicans are the cheapest tippers and only pay their maids $ 22 - $ 25 pesos an hour.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:32 pm

binky wrote:

Binky, everything you stated is 100% correct. Chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm with Binky on this one.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Well it's no wonder the Taxi drivers have to work for the cartels then.......jajajajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:10 pm

We have NEVER tipped a taxi driver in Mexico unless some extra service is performed....suitcases or bagged groceries...then the tip is generous. Even had one driver load the trunk from the shopping cart and help me carry them into the house. That's service and that gets rewarded.
Regular tipping in restaurants is 15%...exceptional service 20%.

That's US. Whatever anyone else wants to do is entirely up to them.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:38 pm

I flipped the driver 100 pesos above the 200 peso fare when he came ta get my three buddies last Tequila Nite... Beer
Pretty sure he earned it!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:52 pm

Have been back in Mexico the last 31 years and have never heard of tipping taxi drivers except by newbie foreigners. Maybe that is all changing because of the foreign influence in this area. I can guarantee you that it is not a Mexican custom.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:01 pm

slainte39 wrote:Have been back in Mexico the last 31 years and have never heard of tipping taxi drivers except by newbie foreigners. Maybe that is all changing because of the foreign influence in this area. I can guarantee you that it is not a Mexican custom.

Yeah.... well U just come over ta my place next Tequila Nite...

The last Three said they were seasoned veterans..... Amateurs!!

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:38 pm

hockables wrote:
slainte39 wrote:Have been back in Mexico the last 31 years and have never heard of tipping taxi drivers except by newbie foreigners. Maybe that is all changing because of the foreign influence in this area. I can guarantee you that it is not a Mexican custom.

Yeah.... well U just come over ta my place next Tequila Nite...

The last Three said they were seasoned veterans..... Amateurs!!

We always tip taxi drivers you never know when you might need a good one.
Hocks I'll match your one tequila and raise you two.

E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by fastrak Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:53 pm

How would you know it is not a Mexican Custom. Common courtesy any where in the world is to tip people who are in the service industry. That is how they survive, is on their tips. Has nothing to do with the NOB people. And I can Guarantee you, that tipping people in Mexico is a custom. It is just that some of the Mexicans, just like the NOB people tip differently. Some give more, some give less, and some give nothing.

Just as a note. I consistently tip my Pemex gas guys. If he cleans my window, he gets 10 pesos, if he asks to check my oil, he gets another 10 pesos. We are on a first name basis. And this is at 3 of the area stations. One day, we had a flat tire on our vehicle. The fifth car that came by was one of the pemex guys. He got out with his buddy and changed our tire in no time. And when I went to pay them. They refused any money. They said they were just giving back the goodwill that I gave them.

Viva Mexico flag waver
fastrak
fastrak

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:04 am

fastrak wrote:

How would you know it is not a Mexican Custom. Common courtesy any where in the world is to tip people who are in the service industry. That is how they survive, is on their tips. Has nothing to do with the NOB people. And I can Guarantee you, that tipping people in Mexico is a custom. It is just that some of the Mexicans, just like the NOB people tip differently. Some give more, some give less, and some give nothing.

Just as a note. I consistently tip my Pemex gas guys. If he cleans my window, he gets 10 pesos, if he asks to check my oil, he gets another 10 pesos. We are on a first name basis. And this is at 3 of the area stations. One day, we had a flat tire on our vehicle. The fifth car that came by was one of the pemex guys. He got out with his buddy and changed our tire in no time. And when I went to pay them. They refused any money. They said they were just giving back the goodwill that I gave them.

Viva Mexico flag waver

I tip the Pemex guys as well... about the same amount... 10 or 20 pesos....
I've read warnings about watching some Pemex workers ( and I do ) so they don't cheat you at the pump
To date, I've not seen anyone even attempting anything underhanded...
I believe if you want respect... you must give respect...
If they do well by / for me.... I will gladly show my appreciation
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by fastrak Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:09 am

hockables wrote:
fastrak wrote:

Viva Mexico flag waver

I tip the Pemex guys as well... about the same amount... 10 or 20 pesos....
I've read warnings about watching some Pemex workers ( and I do ) so they don't cheat you at the pump
To date, I've not seen anyone even attempting anything underhanded...
I believe if you want respect... you must give respect...
If they do well by / for me.... I will gladly show my appreciation

So true, agree totally
Thumbs up
fastrak
fastrak

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:40 am

We decided that because of so many underpaid service workers here, as long as we can afford to do so, all will be TIP-ed, unless they’re extremely rude. So far this has never occurred so perhaps I really can’t say. The excuse that it’s not “the Custom” IMHO is just “Bullshit” an excuse, however if you can’t afford to do so that is entirely another issue. We have friends (?) that only tip waiter/ess 10% percent because they state it’s the “Custom”, bullshit, their just cheap.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:59 am

fastrak, hockables and Parker - I agree. We have been tipping Pemex station attendants and baggage people at grocery stores for 11 years. It is the right thing to do. I don't know anyone who does not tip these people. If they don't tip, they are just CHEAP, CHEAP CHEAP in my book and they are no friends of mine. I cannot stand CHEAP people.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:10 am

fastrak wrote:

Viva Mexico flag waver

How would I know? Probably the same way you think you know it is a Mexican custom.
I agree with you about tipping in general ie. grocery store baggers, pemex attendants, window washers at intersections, valet parking attendants, on the street parking "cuidaderos", and on and on.
My comment was strictly about taxi driver/usually owners. Also my comment was about custom and not what everybody does, so tip to your heart's content and I'll stand by my comment.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:54 pm

slainte39 wrote:
fastrak wrote:
slainte39 wrote:... I can guarantee you that it is not a Mexican custom.
How would you know it is not a Mexican Custom.
How would I know? Probably the same way you think you know it is a Mexican custom.

Customs change, people. I am sometimes surprised at how quickly they do as time flies by. In decades past I'd never greet a stranger with "hola" yet a few years ago I switched to the local, "Hola, buenos dias." And now more frequently it is just "hola" (younger people) or "buenos" (elders). What is this world coming to!

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:17 pm

Wonder if JohninAjijic is going to tip his real estate broker.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:30 pm

binky wrote:Wonder if JohninAjijic is going to tip his real estate broker.

Only if advised to do so by his physiotherapist. ;-)
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:55 pm

E-raq wrote:
binky wrote:Wonder if JohninAjijic is going to tip his real estate broker.

Only if advised to do so by his physiotherapist. ;-)

This is a prime example of what is being explored on the thread about "Sarcasm".

"A comment made in response, which IMHO is closer to the truth;

Is sarcasm humor? I understand the meaning behind sarcasm, yet I don't see the humor in sarcasm. Most of the time sarcasm is mean and the perpetrator has a "get of jail free card" in the excuse of "I was only kidding. It was a joke. You're too sensitive." I put up with this for years and finally turned the tables by saying "My feelings are hurt. There is nothing overly sensitive about being hurt when someone says something mean in jest or not. If you think what you said was a joke, then you are insensitive to other people's feelings." Needless to say we haven't talked in several years. Yipee!

Wonder: I wonder if a study of the brains of people who frequently use sarcasm would show something similar to this study, an organic problem in which they can't empathize or relate directly. Isn't there a part of the brain which regulates empathy? Maybe even a part which regulates honesty or directness since sarcasm to me appears to be a form of dishonesty or an indirect way of stating truths. I'd rather have someone be cruelly honest and acknowledge such then be amusingly cruel and deceptive about it. At least that way we are both honest and can work things out or not. Sarcasm doesn't allow for that. The only thing almost intelligent about sarcasm is the perb usually come out unscathed and above reproach because they didn't mean it, they were kidding. Mean while the victim gets it on both ends, being the butt of the joke and the spoil sport for objecting. Sarcasm is the lowest form of communication and the highest form of self veneration.”

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next