INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit

+20
CheenaGringo
Parker
slainte39
ferret
David
johninajijic
RoofBob
fastrak
merry
Chico
E-raq
borderreiver
hockables
juanrey
espíritu del lago
binky
Big Daddy Mexico
CanuckBob
Axixic
LMarkoya
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit

Post by Parker Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:23 pm

E-raq wrote:
Parker wrote:
E-raq wrote:
ferret wrote:Considering that the word TIP is based on "To Insure Promptness", it's a miracle that anyone in Mexico gets one.
In Nayarit, we encountered others who worked only for tips and didn't get a salary...these included Pemex employees and waiters and the SENIORS who bagged your groceries at the Mega in Bucerias.
Use your common sense and tip where you feel it's appropriate and not because someone else tells you that you should.

That's neat ferret, I'd never heard it before.

At Pemex, we only tip the guys who actually wash the windshield. We usually tip baggers, unless they're the two miserable old ladies at Soriana who make snide comments about gringos and gringas ASSuming that none of us can understand. To them I have in my reserve a particularly snarky comeback.

And I hope this is done in Spanish, please.

A question Parker, do you insult people in Spanish? I do, and by the way have an extremely extensive and impressive collection of Mexican insults, most of which can only be properly appreciated in the octagon.

In Mexico, in order to appreciate the culture, one must understand that cursing somebody out is an art form. High quality insults are very often very elaborate and may be many sentences long.

Some are extremely short and effective, they are usually double entendres such as; " es un niño tremendo." This, contrary to popular belief does not mean that he's a tremendous or wonderful child, it means he's a dreadful little beggar who is capable of untold mischief done with malice aforethought.

Believe it or not, I do understand this but my Spanish “Sucks” and whether NOB or Spanish need to understand we’re are just individuals trying to do the best we can. If we can accept our difference and accept the good, just perhaps we can all get along. It’s not about giving in, it’s about getting along.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit

Post by ferret Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Axixic wrote:
ferret wrote:Considering that the word TIP is based on "To Insure Promptness", it's a miracle that anyone in Mexico gets one.

This just didn't sound right to me so I checked. Snopes says it isn't true.

"Tip is an old word, and it has nothing to do with either acronyms or the act of attempting to influence quality of service. Although the word has many meanings, both as a verb and as a noun, the use of the term as it applies to monetary rewards to servants dates to the 1700s. It first appeared in this context as a verb ("Then I, Sir, tips me the Verger with half a Crown" from the 1706 George Farquhar play The Beaux Stratagem) and was first recorded as a noun in 1755. However, the use of tip to describe the act of giving something to another (where that list of possible 'somethings' could include small sums of money, intelligence on horse races, or the latest silly joke) goes back to 1610. Tip slipped into the language as underworld slang, with the verb 'to tip' (meaning 'to give to or share with') being used by shady characters as part of the then-current argot of petty criminals."

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp

Blackeye I've been using that information, as told to me by my mum, all my life. Thanks for the correction but it made a lot more sense the other way. I bow to Snopes.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Sorry ferret - I didn't mean to burst any bubbles - it just didn't sound 'right' to me and being the type who can't leave well enough alone I had to investigate. (I suppose a stronger man would have resisted.)
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by NoCanDo Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:16 pm

merry wrote:
The easy way to get around is to borrow a cell phone from someone - many of us have an extra that we lend out to guests - and scroll down to say "AJIJIC TAXI" or whatever you want. No having to deal with pay phones.

Good info, and I plan on adding the local emergency numbers to my cell when I arrive.

One thing I was taught in the military was to always learn how to use the local pay phones. In an emergency that information can be vital. In fact, it is one of the first things I want to learn when I arrive in Mexico. Habit, I guess. But if your cell phone goes dead and you need help...

NoCanDo

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:50 pm

You don't let your cell phone go dead. Not many pay phones around - if any. And if you find one, it may or may not be operable.

Self sufficiency is the name of the game in this country.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by NoCanDo Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Trailrunner wrote:You don't let your cell phone go dead. Not many pay phones around - if any. And if you find one, it may or may not be operable.

Self sufficiency is the name of the game in this country.

True words.

But IF your cell goes down and IF you need to use an operable pay phone..

Just sayin' it pays to know, that's all.

NoCanDo

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:59 am

[quote="Trailrunner"]You don't let your cell phone go dead. Not many pay phones around - if any. And if you find one, it may or may not be operable./quote]

That hasn't been my experience--I always carry a phone card and have used pay phones all over Mexico. I've never come across a broken pay phone.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:45 pm

[quote="Luisa"]
Trailrunner wrote:You don't let your cell phone go dead. Not many pay phones around - if any. And if you find one, it may or may not be operable./quote]

That hasn't been my experience--I always carry a phone card and have used pay phones all over Mexico. I've never come across a broken pay phone.

Then either you have had extraordinary luck or Telmex is taking better care of their phones. I once had to try SIX phones in a row before I found one that worked. That prompted me to buy a cell phone...end problem.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:00 pm

ferret wrote:
Luisa wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:You don't let your cell phone go dead. Not many pay phones around - if any. And if you find one, it may or may not be operable.

Then either you have had extraordinary luck or Telmex is taking better care of their phones. I once had to try SIX phones in a row before I found one that worked. That prompted me to buy a cell phone...end problem.

I carry a pay phone card AND a cell phone, since at any given point I'm having trouble with one or the other.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:30 pm

I think all OXXO's have pay phones, and they are ubiquitous. Probably 7-11's too.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4