INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit

+20
CheenaGringo
Parker
slainte39
ferret
David
johninajijic
RoofBob
fastrak
merry
Chico
E-raq
borderreiver
hockables
juanrey
espíritu del lago
binky
Big Daddy Mexico
CanuckBob
Axixic
LMarkoya
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit - Page 3 Empty Re: Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit

Post by Parker Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:55 pm

E-raq wrote:
binky wrote:Wonder if JohninAjijic is going to tip his real estate broker.

Only if advised to do so by his physiotherapist. ;-)

This is a prime example of what is being explored on the thread about "Sarcasm".

"A comment made in response, which IMHO is closer to the truth;

Is sarcasm humor? I understand the meaning behind sarcasm, yet I don't see the humor in sarcasm. Most of the time sarcasm is mean and the perpetrator has a "get of jail free card" in the excuse of "I was only kidding. It was a joke. You're too sensitive." I put up with this for years and finally turned the tables by saying "My feelings are hurt. There is nothing overly sensitive about being hurt when someone says something mean in jest or not. If you think what you said was a joke, then you are insensitive to other people's feelings." Needless to say we haven't talked in several years. Yipee!

Wonder: I wonder if a study of the brains of people who frequently use sarcasm would show something similar to this study, an organic problem in which they can't empathize or relate directly. Isn't there a part of the brain which regulates empathy? Maybe even a part which regulates honesty or directness since sarcasm to me appears to be a form of dishonesty or an indirect way of stating truths. I'd rather have someone be cruelly honest and acknowledge such then be amusingly cruel and deceptive about it. At least that way we are both honest and can work things out or not. Sarcasm doesn't allow for that. The only thing almost intelligent about sarcasm is the perb usually come out unscathed and above reproach because they didn't mean it, they were kidding. Mean while the victim gets it on both ends, being the butt of the joke and the spoil sport for objecting. Sarcasm is the lowest form of communication and the highest form of self veneration.”

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit - Page 3 Empty Re: Round 2 qustions...preparing for our first visit

Post by merry Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Parker wrote:
E-raq wrote:

This is a prime example of what is being explored on the thread about "Sarcasm".

[i]"A comment made in response, which IMHO is closer to the truth; .....

Parker, are you just trying to hijack this thread? Please remember this thread is a newbie to the area trying to ask questions about the area.

Perhaps you can just link to the sarcasm discussion for those who want to go that direction, and those who wish to continue this conversation can do so?

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:05 pm

[quote="fastrak"]
slainte39 wrote: Common courtesy any where in the world is to tip people who are in the service industry. That is how they survive, is on their tips. Viva Mexico flag waver

This is simply not a true blanket statement. In many parts of the world the tip is included in the bill. In some countries to tipping is insulting.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:15 pm

[quote="David"]
fastrak wrote:
slainte39 wrote: Common courtesy any where in the world is to tip people who are in the service industry. That is how they survive, is on their tips. Viva Mexico flag waver

This is simply not a true blanket statement. In many parts of the world the tip is included in the bill. In some countries to tipping is insulting.

How about in THIS area, David? That is really the topic the newbies asked about. Do you know any industries HERE where tipping is insulting?

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:18 pm

merry wrote:
Parker wrote:
E-raq wrote:

Parker, are you just trying to hijack this thread? Please remember this thread is a newbie to the area trying to ask questions about the area.

Perhaps you can just link to the sarcasm discussion for those who want to go that direction, and those who wish to continue this conversation can do so?

Merry

It’s already there, but to understand it more clearly one needs examples in motion to understand. If you had not tried to intervene I would have stated nothing more. And you seem to be acting like that Threads are rarely hi-jacked, OMG.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Parker wrote:
merry wrote:
Parker wrote:This is a prime example of what is being explored on the thread about "Sarcasm".

Merry

It’s already there, but to understand it more clearly one needs examples in motion to understand. If you had not tried to intervene I would have stated nothing more. And you seem to be acting like that Threads are rarely hi-jacked, OMG.

CBob has been TRYING to spiff up the board, he re-posted a link reminding us about the rules and asking us to attempt to stay on topic. The reason is because threads WERE often being hijacked. And he's moving things to new threads with new titles (like HORSE TALK) so they can stay on topic rather than veering off. Maybe you did not get the memo or notice that things are looking a little nicer now.

Merry

Edited: Part of the reminder notice he sent is also to be nice to newbies. This is a thread posted by newbies, so....................

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:11 pm

merry wrote:
Parker wrote:
merry wrote:
Parker wrote:This is a prime example of what is being explored on the thread about "Sarcasm".

Merry

CBob has been TRYING to spiff up the board, he re-posted a link reminding us about the rules and asking us to attempt to stay on topic. The reason is because threads WERE often being hijacked. And he's moving things to new threads with new titles (like HORSE TALK) so they can stay on topic rather than veering off. Maybe you did not get the memo or notice that things are looking a little nicer now.

Merry

Edited: Part of the reminder notice he sent is also to be nice to newbies. This is a thread posted by newbies, so....................

And now you’re just as guilty as me, No?

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Getting a consensus on almost any topic here is an exercise in futility.
If a newbie is asking, he has received both sides of the coin and he/she simply needs to do whatever they feel is the right thing to do.
I tip, nearly everybody. Nobody is getting rich and those that I tip regularly give me tremendous service.
It's whatever, as an individual, you feel is right. Since it is not an insult in the Mexican culture, do what you think is right.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:35 pm

juanrey wrote:Getting a consensus on almost any topic here is an exercise in futility.
If a newbie is asking, he has received both sides of the coin and he/she simply needs to do whatever they feel is the right thing to do.
I tip, nearly everybody. Nobody is getting rich and those that I tip regularly give me tremendous service.
It's whatever, as an individual, you feel is right. Since it is not an insult in the Mexican culture, do what you think is right.

Thanks, Juanrey! I originally suggested tipping the cabbie extra because I suggested they ask for extra sightseeing services. Tip the grocery baggers because they work for tips only. I tip the Pemex guys because it's a relief to not have to pump ones own gas. It's a tipping culture, and those who go the extra kilometer get the extra tip from me.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:44 pm

juanrey and merry - RIGHT ON!!! binky and others are saving their centavos for when they die to take it with them They have all arranged for the U Haul truck full of money to be buried with them, so they can look down from heaven or up from hell and say "I told you so, you can take it with you." I've met some of the cheapest people ever at Lakeside.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by LMarkoya Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:48 pm

OK...since I am the newbie who's thread got hijacked, thought I'd chime in and say as long as our driver is the least bit curteous, I'm tipping Very Happy
LMarkoya
LMarkoya
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:53 pm

LMarkoya wrote:OK...since I am the newbie who's thread got hijacked, thought I'd chime in and say as long as our driver is the least bit curteous, I'm tipping Very Happy

You will never be without a "friend" when you voluntarily offer to overpay for products and services anywhere in the world. Hope your Judy King seminar starts on day one of your visit. She is the best. Not worth her weight in gold, as she is a hefty gal, but certainly worth her seminars and you will love La Nueva Posada. Order the taco salad. Almost as good as Taco Bell. Buenas Suerte. Chico.

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:30 pm

In other words, IN THE WORLD ACCORDING TO TERRY friends are best bought and not earned. Money will get you a great deal more loyalty!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:05 pm

merry wrote:
juanrey wrote:Getting a consensus on almost any topic here is an exercise in futility.

Thanks, Juanrey! I originally suggested tipping the cabbie extra because I suggested they ask for extra sightseeing services. Tip the grocery baggers because they work for tips only. I tip the Pemex guys because it's a relief to not have to pump ones own gas. It's a tipping culture, and those who go the extra kilometer get the extra tip from me.

Merry

I tip the baggers because 90% of the time they are kids... who are only trying to earn a few bucks.... instead of lern'n to spray-paint walls....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:17 am

Good point Hocks.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:22 am

All baggers do not make a salary. They work for tips only.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Gal Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:58 am

Yesterday I was in Walmart to purchase a few things. I handed the bagger a tip and she shook her head "no". What a surprise! By the way, it was 5 pesos so it was not insulting.

Irish Gal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:01 am

Have never had a bagger refuse a tip, and it's usually a very small cost to elicit a very large smile.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:11 am

Irish Gal wrote:Yesterday I was in Walmart to purchase a few things. I handed the bagger a tip and she shook her head "no". What a surprise! By the way, it was 5 pesos so it was not insulting.

some folks just want to help out a litt'l ole lady
and an Irish one at that!!
makes it twice as nice Very Happy
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:27 am

CheenaGringo wrote:In other words, IN THE WORLD ACCORDING TO TERRY friends are best bought and not earned. Money will get you a great deal more loyalty!

These people in general are not going to be your social friends; we TIP to say we appreciate their help, good service or whatever. I believe your trying to compare apples to oranges. Now this I believe is a “straw argument”.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:21 am

Considering that the word TIP is based on "To Insure Promptness", it's a miracle that anyone in Mexico gets one.
In Nayarit, we encountered others who worked only for tips and didn't get a salary...these included Pemex employees and waiters and the SENIORS who bagged your groceries at the Mega in Bucerias.
Use your common sense and tip where you feel it's appropriate and not because someone else tells you that you should.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:27 am

ferret wrote:Considering that the word TIP is based on "To Insure Promptness", it's a miracle that anyone in Mexico gets one.
In Nayarit, we encountered others who worked only for tips and didn't get a salary...these included Pemex employees and waiters and the SENIORS who bagged your groceries at the Mega in Bucerias.
Use your common sense and tip where you feel it's appropriate and not because someone else tells you that you should.

That's neat ferret, I'd never heard it before.

At Pemex, we only tip the guys who actually wash the windshield. We usually tip baggers, unless they're the two miserable old ladies at Soriana who make snide comments about gringos and gringas ASSuming that none of us can understand. To them I have in my reserve a particularly snarky comeback.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:43 pm

E-raq wrote:
ferret wrote:Considering that the word TIP is based on "To Insure Promptness", it's a miracle that anyone in Mexico gets one.

At Pemex, we only tip the guys who actually wash the windshield. We usually tip baggers, unless they're the two miserable old ladies at Soriana who make snide comments about gringos and gringas ASSuming that none of us can understand. To them I have in my reserve a particularly snarky comeback.

And I hope this is done in Spanish, please.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:50 pm

This just didn't sound right to me so I checked. Snopes says it isn't true.

"Tip is an old word, and it has nothing to do with either acronyms or the act of attempting to influence quality of service. Although the word has many meanings, both as a verb and as a noun, the use of the term as it applies to monetary rewards to servants dates to the 1700s. It first appeared in this context as a verb ("Then I, Sir, tips me the Verger with half a Crown" from the 1706 George Farquhar play The Beaux Stratagem) and was first recorded as a noun in 1755. However, the use of tip to describe the act of giving something to another (where that list of possible 'somethings' could include small sums of money, intelligence on horse races, or the latest silly joke) goes back to 1610. Tip slipped into the language as underworld slang, with the verb 'to tip' (meaning 'to give to or share with') being used by shady characters as part of the then-current argot of petty criminals."

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:11 pm

Parker wrote:
E-raq wrote:

A question Parker, do you insult people in Spanish? I do, and by the way have an extremely extensive and impressive collection of Mexican insults, most of which can only be properly appreciated in the octagon.

In Mexico, in order to appreciate the culture, one must understand that cursing somebody out is an art form. High quality insults are very often very elaborate and may be many sentences long.

Some are extremely short and effective, they are usually double entendres such as; " es un niño tremendo." This, contrary to popular belief does not mean that he's a tremendous or wonderful child, it means he's a dreadful little beggar who is capable of untold mischief done with malice aforethought.

Last edited by E-raq on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : terror of the grammar and spelling police.)
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:23 pm

E-raq wrote:
Parker wrote:
E-raq wrote:

A question Parker, do you insult people in Spanish? I do, and by the way have an extremely extensive and impressive collection of Mexican insults, most of which can only be properly appreciated in the octagon.

In Mexico, in order to appreciate the culture, one must understand that cursing somebody out is an art form. High quality insults are very often very elaborate and may be many sentences long.

Some are extremely short and effective, they are usually double entendres such as; " es un niño tremendo." This, contrary to popular belief does not mean that he's a tremendous or wonderful child, it means he's a dreadful little beggar who is capable of untold mischief done with malice aforethought.

Believe it or not, I do understand this but my Spanish “Sucks” and whether NOB or Spanish need to understand we’re are just individuals trying to do the best we can. If we can accept our difference and accept the good, just perhaps we can all get along. It’s not about giving in, it’s about getting along.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next