INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In Chapala, Language barrier promotes corruption with authorities

+13
Rosa Venus
CheenaGringo
MexicoPete
Chico
slainte39
brigitte
arbon
hound dog
viajero
David
johninajijic
Smartalex
Mad_Max
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

In Chapala, Language barrier promotes corruption with authorities Empty In Chapala, Language barrier promotes corruption with authorities

Post by Mad_Max Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:34 am

Interesting article in Notisistema - http://www.notisistema.com/noticias/?p=494610

using google translate

The language barrier between foreigners who live in Chapala and Mexican authorities fosters corruption of police, prosecutors and staff of Roads, confirmed by the locals as Eduardo Lopez Ortega, who knows the stories of some affected.

"Because they see a American and although the American attempt to speak Spanish and do as much as possible, they grab your hand and petite money and so if you understand but if not, do not understand. I say this because here comes a guy who speaks much Spanish the other day stole his cell and said to him, bring a translator if you want. "

He says the only option for Americans and Canadians to stop abuse is to call a translator or Mexican friends to help them come to terms with the authority but not always available and must pay bribes to get the help they should be free. (By Victor Montes Renteria)
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

In Chapala, Language barrier promotes corruption with authorities Empty Re: In Chapala, Language barrier promotes corruption with authorities

Post by Smartalex Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:40 am

Only once in three years have the police tried to hit me up for mordita. With a broad grin on my face, I told the cops, "Lo siento, mi espanol es mal...no entiendo que dice." The cops laughed and sent me on my way.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

In Chapala, Language barrier promotes corruption with authorities Empty Re: In Chapala, Language barrier promotes corruption with authorities

Post by johninajijic Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:02 am

Language barrier, that's some excuse. What will they think of next?

We lived here 11 years and only paid mordida twice.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:39 am

ONLY twice? Only two felonies? Ha! Nice going.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:55 am

johninajijic wrote:Language barrier, that's some excuse.
I agree John,mexicans get hit up for mordidas all the time,no language barrier there.In seven years of daily driving in GDL I've been pulled over numerous times,never gotten a ticket or paid a bribe,the one time I was actually guilty of the offense,lost in Tonala driving the wrong way on a one way street after talking to the transito he not only didn't give me a ticket but he gave me directions to where I was going.IMO the trick to dealing with cops be it NoB or SoB is to show respect but not fear.Worse comes to worse if they ask for 500 offer 50 and go from there.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:58 am

David wrote:ONLY twice? Only two felonies? Ha! Nice going.
Using that logic maybe 80 to 90% of mexican drivers are felons.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Mad_Max wrote:Interesting article in Notisistema - http://www.notisistema.com/noticias/?p=494610

using google translate

The language barrier between foreigners who live in Chapala and Mexican authorities fosters corruption of police, prosecutors and staff of Roads, confirmed by the locals as Eduardo Lopez Ortega, who knows the stories of some affected.

"Because they see a American and although the American attempt to speak Spanish and do as much as possible, they grab your hand and petite money and so if you understand but if not, do not understand. I say this because here comes a guy who speaks much Spanish the other day stole his cell and said to him, bring a translator if you want. "

He says the only option for Americans and Canadians to stop abuse is to call a translator or Mexican friends to help them come to terms with the authority but not always available and must pay bribes to get the help they should be free. (By Victor Montes Renteria)

As one who maintains residences in both Lakeside and San CristĂłbal de Las Casas, Chiapas where virtually no one speaks English and many speak little or no Spanish I will tell you that anyone who posits the above idiotic theory linking corruption to the number of foreigners living in a particular political jusrisdiction not conversant in the language of locals whether Spanish or Tsotzil or Greek is a moron of the highest order. Do not pontificate on matters with which you are unfamiliar. Jalisco is corrupt but Chiapas is far more corrupt so knock off the BS.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Bubba says
"As one who maintains residences in both Lakeside and San CristĂłbal de Las Casas, Chiapas where virtually no one speaks English and many speak little or no Spanish I will tell you that anyone who posits the above idiotic theory linking corruption to the number of foreigners living in a particular political jusrisdiction not conversant in the language of locals whether Spanish or Tsotzil or Greek is a moron of the highest order. Do not pontificate on matters with which you are unfamiliar. Jalisco is corrupt but Chiapas is far more corrupt so knock off the BS."

So you are pointing out that there are more "Foreigners" in Chiapas than Jalisco.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:50 pm

arbon wrote:Bubba says
"As one who maintains residences in both Lakeside and San CristĂłbal de Las Casas, Chiapas where virtually no one speaks English and many speak little or no Spanish I will tell you that anyone who posits the above idiotic theory linking corruption to the number of foreigners living in a particular political jusrisdiction not conversant in the language of locals whether Spanish or Tsotzil or Greek is a moron of the highest order. Do not pontificate on matters with which you are unfamiliar. Jalisco is corrupt but Chiapas is far more corrupt so knock off the BS."

So you are pointing out that there are more "Foreigners" in Chiapas than Jalisco.

Your point, Arbon? Do you have any notion of the character of either place?' I presume not.

Dawg

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Arbon - Dawg should easily be able to answer your question. He knows there are a miniscule amount of NOB types in Chiapas.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:20 pm

[quote="johninajijic"]Arbon - Dawg should easily be able to answer your question. He knows there are a miniscule amount of NOB types in Chiapas.[/quote

Thank you for your support John but just as a point of clarification, San Cristóbal de Las Casas has a population of about 150,000 people about 40% of whom are indigenous Maya. Many indigenous Maya live in adjacent poor hillside favelas for complicated political and religious reasons I won´t go into here but will be happy to discuss that issue later when we return from Paris to Ajijic. I look forward to the discourse in which we can then engage.

Dawg

Last edited by brigitte on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:23 pm

brigitte - I don't get your post, but I'll leave it at that. I don't know much about Chiapas other than a few of our friends went on a trip there and loved it. It sounded beautiful.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:37 pm

John:

That was Dawg posting, inadvertently. under Brigitte´s name. Obviously it was I as Brigitte is never that articulate. If you are ever in Chiapas you have an open invitation to coffee at the Dawghouse if we are around at the time.
Highland Chiapas is a fine and extraordinarily beautiful place

Dawg

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Dawg wrote:
As one who maintains residences in both Lakeside and San CristĂłbal de Las Casas, Chiapas where virtually no one speaks English and many speak little or no Spanish I will tell you that anyone who posits the above idiotic theory linking corruption to the number of foreigners living in a particular political jusrisdiction not conversant in the language of locals whether Spanish or Tsotzil or Greek is a moron of the highest order. Do not pontificate on matters with which you are unfamiliar. Jalisco is corrupt but Chiapas is far more corrupt so knock off the BS. [/quote]

Boy do I agree with everything you said except for one thing.... I would have said " a moron of the lowest order"...assuming there is a "high" and "low" order of morons

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Not buying this at all. Drive an old foreign plated junker, with no hubcaps and two Mexican street dogs sticking their heads out of the back window and I have never been stopped in over 7 years, no matter how hard I try. chico.

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Chico wrote:Not buying this at all. Drive an old foreign plated junker, with no hubcaps and two Mexican street dogs sticking their heads out of the back window and I have never been stopped in over 7 years, no matter how hard I try. chico.

Doesn't matter Mexican plated or not. I've only been stopped twice in 11 years with expired Mass plates and I was at fault. So, I paid them off. 200 pesos each time. I had my friends car, stopped at the curb at the Airport and a Federale gave me/him an expensive ticket even though I had my Handicapped emblem hanging from the visor and I showed him my cane. Ticket was 550 pesos.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:28 pm

johninajijic wrote:
Chico wrote:Not buying this at all. Drive an old foreign plated junker, with no hubcaps and two Mexican street dogs sticking their heads out of the back window and I have never been stopped in over 7 years, no matter how hard I try. chico.

Doesn't matter Mexican plated or not. I've only been stopped twice in 11 years with expired Mass plates and I was at fault. So, I paid them off. 200 pesos each time. I had my friends car, stopped at the curb at the Airport and a Federale gave me/him an expensive ticket even though I had my Handicapped emblem hanging from the visor and I showed him my cane. Ticket was 550 pesos.

John, agree with you 100% that the license plate on the car does not matter. They stop whomever they see breaking the law. So many expats here with foreign license plates, feel they are being singled out by the police. I do not believe that at all and I see that you do not, either. Thanks for pointing out that at least one of the vehicles that you saw pulled over was Mexican plated. However, that does not ensure that it was a Mexican driver. Cannot tell you how over I am of the nonsensical cops picking on foreigners theme, that some expats toss around. The Canadian woman that got pulled over quite correctly, for wearing no seatbelts and screaming profanity at the Deputy Chief of Police and then three letters of apology about her behavior from fellow Canadians, is a landmark in terms of how not to conduct ourselves, in any situation here. chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Yet my experiences were the very opposite. In 1997, I bought a used Mexican plated Nisan Tzuru (spelling). I drove all of the time and almost never was stopped.

Then in 2000 I purchased a spanking new, shiny, red, Texas plated, Ford Explorer 2dr. And I started getting stopped much more often. I don't get stopped as often now, because that same car has all kinds of scratches and dents it doesn't attract the eye of someone looking for money.

I also notice that when I do get stopped, I pay much less now, because I speak to the officers in Spanish, And that makes such a difference.

That's just my experience.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:01 pm

[quote="MexicoPete")

I also notice that when I do get stopped, I pay much less now, because I speak to the officers in Spanish, And that makes such a difference.

That's just my experience.[/quote]

Felicidades. Rolling Eyes

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:06 pm

MexicoPete wrote:Yet my experiences were the very opposite. In 1997, I bought a used Mexican plated Nisan Tzuru (spelling). I drove all of the time and almost never was stopped.

Then in 2000 I purchased a spanking new, shiny, red, Texas plated, Ford Explorer 2dr. And I started getting stopped much more often. I don't get stopped as often now, because that same car has all kinds of scratches and dents it doesn't attract the eye of someone looking for money.

Pete, thank you for sharing your memories of 15 years ago. chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:08 pm

We started driving in the greater Guadalajara/Lake Chapala area back in 1998 when we took a Chevrolet convertible with Oregon plates down there. That vehicle stayed at our Mexico house until 2005 when it was brought back to NM and was pulled over three times during one visit with Kathy driving (illegal U-turn, wrong way down a one way & too much merchandise in the back seat). Our mini van was pulled over twice in 2006 (illegal left turn going to Real Chapala & a drugs/weapons check going into Guadalajara) on its first Mexico trip with me driving. No tickets and no serious attempts at collecting mordida. If one stops to consider that in the time period spanning 13 years and somewhere in excess of 50,000 miles, we certainly have no reason to be leery of the cops in Mexico!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:25 pm

viajero wrote:[quote="MexicoPete")

Felicidades. Rolling Eyes [/quote]

My experience is that if you cannot speak a word of Spanish and act apologetic, you pay nothing and in their frustration let you go with no ticket and no mordita. chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:31 pm

Chico posted "My experience is that if you cannot speak a word of Spanish and act apologetic, you pay nothing and in their frustration let you go with no ticket and no mordita. chico"

I've heard that from others too chico. Sadly some of the officers lakeside speak enough English to get around that, though.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:07 am

There are predatory transitos here, for sure. It's just like anywhere else in Mexico, regardless of your plates (I drive both types of vehicles).

But paying "the bite" locally for a minor traffic infraction is a joke. That kind of bullshit is ridiculous. Demand the ticket. Call their bluff. When they threaten to impound your car--and they will--hand them the keys, say, "Take it, I'll pick it up tomorrow outside Chapala." It's just a crap argument (negotiation/fishing expedition) on their part.

And you can call a friend or take the bus back home, right? Don't be fooled.

But, if you've done something truly bad (property damage or worse).....well, that's different. Follow your conscious and do the right thing (by the people you've harmed).

I've only wiggled my way out via bribery twice in 20-something years of driving in Mexico. And those instances were in sketchy towns (TJ and outside Culiacan). Don't pay the local bozos trolling the carretera.

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 am

Absolutely agree, Rosa! These traffic stops that people are watching happen have little to do with traffic infractions or plates and everything to do with the predator cops trolling the carretera as Rosa says. You'll notice they all tend to be around this very mysterious, dangerous, unmarked, and arbitrary (probably intentionally) intersection of the carretera and the libremiento. It's a gold mine for them!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next