INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dialing U.S. 800 numbers from Mexico still a toll call?

+3
Bajabrady
suegarn
sm1mex
7 posters

Go down

Dialing U.S. 800 numbers from Mexico still a toll call? Empty Dialing U.S. 800 numbers from Mexico still a toll call?

Post by sm1mex Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Just wondered if they are free now or still a toll call.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Dialing U.S. 800 numbers from Mexico still a toll call? Empty Re: Dialing U.S. 800 numbers from Mexico still a toll call?

Post by suegarn Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:47 pm

sm1mex wrote:Just wondered if they are free now or still a toll call.

Calling from Mexico to US or Canadian Toll Free numbers:

For 800 numbers: Dial 001-880 & the seven digit number

For 866 numbers: Dial 001-883 & the seven digit number

For 877 numbers: Dial 001-882 & the seven digit number

For 888 numbers: Dial 001-881 & the seven digit number

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Dialing U.S. 800 numbers from Mexico still a toll call? Empty Re: Dialing U.S. 800 numbers from Mexico still a toll call?

Post by Bajabrady Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:30 am

Those are the correct dialing instructions. If you're using a US phone. For example, I still have my Verizon phone. I have a free Mexico Canada plan so it didn't make sense to drop it yet. When I call a standard US number I'm not charge for it being international. However. I need to switch up the 800 numbers described above and that call is not free and counts towards my Mexican minutes. I have 500 minutes/500 texts and 1MB Mexican roaming. Not sure how or why it was added to my plan. But I'm not asking questions.

Bajabrady
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Keep it Clean :)

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:41 am

Bajabrady wrote:Those are the correct dialing instructions. If you're using a US phone. For example, I still have my Verizon phone. I have a free Mexico Canada plan so it didn't make sense to drop it yet. When I call a standard US number I'm not charge for it being international. However. I need to switch up the 800 numbers described above and that call is not free and counts towards my Mexican minutes. I have 500 minutes/500 texts and 1MB Mexican roaming. Not sure how or why it was added to my plan. But I'm not asking questions.

800 numbers are a paid call from Mexico even if you use the codes above.

Telmex lines in Mexico have free calling to all of Mexico, the USA and Canada. So BajaB check your costs and compare them to Telmex. In addition I have an AT&T Mx cellphone which also includes free calls to Mexico, USA and Canada. I can also use it anywhere in Mexico, USA and Canada without roaming charges . Cost per month 15.00US and 20.00CDN.

We have the best plans in the world
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by Bajabrady Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:57 am

I pay 13 dollars for the plan and another 25 US for the phone addition. So that comes too... 38 US. Oh. Forgot. I pay 6 something in taxes. So let's say 45US. To me the extra 15 dollars is worth the price of maintaining my US number. I've lived in Mexico for almost 4 years now. I always have a Telmex signal. Plus. If you have noticed. Many banks or online services will us the US number. Including the IRS and all three credit reporting agencies. I've had the same number for 15 years. It's on everything.
I also use a very cheap Mexican phone that costs 6 bucks a month but rarely gets a signal and spams me with texts all hours of the day. The Verizon phone always maintains a signal and never spams me.
I've done my research and in my situation my Verizon plan is the best plan in the world. My opinion of course .YMMV

Bajabrady
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Keep it Clean :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Frijoles Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:13 am

Now that long-distance calls within Mexico and to Canada and the US are free for Telmex landline customers, calling 800 numbers the way suegarn explained should be free for them also, no?
Frijoles
Frijoles
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Frijoles wrote:Now that long-distance calls within Mexico and to Canada and the US are free for Telmex landline customers, calling 800 numbers the way suegarn explained should be free for them also, no?

US/Canadian 800 numbers are not toll free from Mexico. Google where you want to call and get a local number. That is free. Or use one of the free yellow pages to get a local number.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:02 pm

I just got back from the Telmex office and just as Dave posted above nothing has changed when phoning a US or Canadian 800 number. And that is regardless of whether you have the $389 or $599 package when phoning a US or Canadian 800 number you have to use a special or different 800 number than you do when in the US or Canada. And yes you do have to pay an additional rate when using these special 800 numbers provided by Telmex to allow you to phone the US or Canadian 800 number.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Frijoles Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for checking this out for us MexicoPete.
Frijoles
Frijoles
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Wonder why regular numbers are free and "toll free" numbers, you have to pay for from Mexico. go figure !

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Pete explained it two posts above yours.
Mexico is not part of the US-Canadian 1-800 system.
Telmex charges you for access to the US-Canadian system.
You pay an access toll to Telmcx from your location too the border.
From the border onward, it is toll-free.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down