INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart

+19
hound dog
johninajijic
viajero
ferret
arbon
bobnliz
Solovino
hockables
57Chevy
Parker
susan
gringal
Jim W
raqueteer
Carry Bean
Mad_Max
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
simpsca
23 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart - Page 2 Empty Re: Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart

Post by gringal Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:31 am

Maybe they think you got an itch. Or cooties?
The biggie here is: What do you do with the loose change?? Hopefully "trickle down" doesn't happen................ Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart - Page 2 Empty Re: Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart

Post by hockables Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:13 pm

the fellas can get a hollow plastic banana and stick it down their shorts... Rolling Eyes might help with the dating scene as well...

at the cashier it probably would help if you gave everyone forewarning what you are doing...

" excuse me, while I whip this out!! " Shocked
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:24 pm

And what would the words in Spanish be for "whip this out" Suspect
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:26 pm

You sure you want to know??

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Maybe not! Need smiley with red face.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:02 pm

Desculpame por favor, tengo que aggarar las joyas de la familia? Sure to be an attention getter.

One could be even more polite and say perdón señorita, tengo algo grande en mi bolsillo.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:59 pm

raqueteer wrote:Desculpame por favor, tengo que aggarar las joyas de la familia? Sure to be an attention getter.

I know you probably say ag-ga-rar but the word is pronounced like it is spelled, a g a r r a r. Just thought you'd like to know.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:28 pm

Solovino wrote:
raqueteer wrote:Desculpame por favor, tengo que aggarar las joyas de la familia? Sure to be an attention getter.

I know you probably say ag-ga-rar but the word is pronounced like it is spelled, a g a r r a r. Just thought you'd like to know.

Why thank you dear, I see you're always ready lend a helping hand to those in need. It must have been that percocet I took for an annoying pain in my neck.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:01 pm

raqueteer wrote:
It must have been that percocet I took for an annoying pain in my neck.

Lame. Not as lame as blaming it on a typo but still lame. I can just hear you say......"ag ga ra la onda!". I'll give you a B for effort though.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Never a dull moment over here in the mirador. ¡Huy! Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart - Page 2 169387 Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:44 pm

Solovino wrote:
raqueteer wrote:
It must have been that percocet I took for an annoying pain in my neck.

Lame. Not as lame as blaming it on a typo but still lame. I can just hear you say......"ag ga ra la onda!". I'll give you a B for effort though.

B minus. Lame people don't surf.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:51 pm

raqueteer wrote:

Must be something only women understand.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:13 pm

Solovino wrote:
raqueteer wrote:

Must be something only women understand.

Grab the wave. Now I'm pretty sure you had something else in mind, however let's just keep it amongst us girls. After all it's getting close to the dinner hour.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:08 pm

hockables wrote:the fellas can get a hollow plastic banana and stick it down their shorts... Rolling Eyes might help with the dating scene as well...

As long as you don't put it down the back of your shorts!

n' How much does a packet of fags cost now? (to put in the "Fag Bag")

arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:20 pm

raqueteer wrote:
Grab the wave. Now I'm pretty sure you had something else in mind, however let's just keep it amongst us girls. After all it's getting close to the dinner hour.

Quit being so literal in your thoughts/translations. It means "grab/pick up the vibe, be cool, get with the program etc. Buena onda = good vibe, cool, right on.

Example: El profesor es muy buena onda. The teacher is cool or a cool dude.

A poco nunca has escuchado la frase "qué onda?" ? As in "what's up" "what's shaking" "what's happening".

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:27 pm

$38MXN in August when we were last there.

If someone doing research on Mexico and this area in general with no experience in Mexico, they might get the impression that All Mexicans were out there to ripoff the Gringos! Having lived all over Asia and traveled more of Mexico than [/u]some on this forum, I believe this to be an unfair characterization. With all the travel, I have only been victimized in Boston and New York City and NEVER[u] in Mexico with over ten years of traveling the country. I don't wear fanny packs and I don't utilize a money belt but do follow the very same practices that I follow NOB.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:03 pm

Some people are street smart and others aren't...sort of depends on whether you grew up in a big city or a small town.

It certainly doesn't hurt to make people aware and to take precautions for their own personal safety ...

"the hands of the have nots are falling out of reach" (Gordon Lightfoot)

We also have never been victimized in Mexico...Toronto yes.

Boston, New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles...all no.

Santa Barbara...yes.

Guess, it's the luck of the draw...be aware!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:40 pm

cheena gringo, this is an especially high crime area. as you have elderly people moving here. elderly have always been victimized. i never had these conversations living in major east coast cities. there are pickpockets every where. especially on crowded new york subways, and walmart right here. (neither place is that safe for older people). you have no sympathy for the people victimized, only the defending the criminals. yes yes you lived in asia. so have i, also the middle east & south america. its sleezy out there, face facts. 3rd world is 3rd world. many old folks dont want the sizzle like you do. they came because they thought it was cheaper & could get medical care. they also fell for some real estate agents b.s. not all are not old hippies with a tired agenda. they dont have the same issues you do. some drove trucks back home, they shop @ walmart, they go to church. they dont go on forums. give people a break. go back to the university.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:07 am

I think someone lifted susan's brain while she shopped the tianguis.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:47 am

Solovino wrote:I think someone lifted susan's brain while she shopped the tianguis.

Well presumably part of it, at least some of the cognitive part. BTW thanks for the expression correction, that's what I'm working on at the moment.

We've lived here for over 12 years, have never been robbed, furthermore we have never been robbed anywhere in Mexico, or in South America, Europe, the U.S. or anywhere else, except for in our homes four times in Toronto, formerly referred to as Toronto the good.

I might add here that pickpockets everywhere in the world know how to recognize victims. Heads down, the way they walk, are they observant, watching? In most, if not all cases, these people are looking like victims. In any kind of interaction it takes two to tango.

Learn how not to look like a victim. Stand up straight, observe everything which is going on in your immediate area, don't use a cell phone or text in public. If someone looks at you, or seems to be watching, look them straight in the eye. Make sure they know you are keeping an eye on them. Thieves are looking for easy pickings. If someone comes close, or attempts to touch you, your best defense is to shout as loud as you can, Alejate! Get away. Same for small women exiting cars. Your voice is your best defense. I'm pretty small myself, but I don't allow myself to look like a victim. If I'm out with my husband, who is a big guy, he does the watching. Not too many guys around here would want to take him on. He always walks immediately behind me guarding both me and my handbag.

In any type of confrontation don't go looking for trouble. If you're truly trapped by a few nasty characters, especially if they have weapons, give them your wallet. Stuff can be replaced. In South America, people have started carrying throw away wallets. They contain some cash, maybe 30 bucks, plus some cancelled credit cards. Stuff that makes the crooks think they have the real deal. You're long gone by the time they figure it out.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:38 am

in the middle east it would be the reverse... u'd be walking behind him and the bag would probably be on your head....

mexico is paradise when you think of all the shit holes you could have been stuck in................ enjoy it

pick pockets & petty thieves are rarely violent... they're poor... if they had an income, they probaby wouldn't be stalking others...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:48 am

How about the old joke about why the men have the women walk ahead of them in the former war zones: Land mines.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:00 pm

raqueteer: excellent post. i have not had any trouble anywhere either. unfortunately for ajijic, people are on medications, have dementia, or drink. also listen to the realtor- "welcome to mexico seminar, kind & gentle people".....but reality is, this area has degenerated over the past 20 yrs, has become violent. your comments are realistic for the 3rd world. of cause the same kind of neigborhoods exist in any major city. (be careful where you go). my only disagreement is "looking them in the eye". best to not engage, look away & hurry. (yes its best to give the $ fast as possible if there is a weapon involved). there is little protection here. people in south/central america have huge barbed wire fences. you never see this in beverly hills. the reason why so many members are angry reading this because they sell real estate, or rent their homes. conflict of interest.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:04 pm

or they have never been robbed....HAVE YOU?

hands up everyone who has been robbed @ Lake Chapala...

There is common sense ... and there is sensationalism... which camp do YOU belong to?

personally.. I was robbed @ Walmart... bitch didn't give me correct change
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:06 pm

I had a burglary of my home while I was out one hour at 1pm in the afternoon. Friend came home before me and they ran out but got some small things.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:19 pm

susan wrote:raqueteer: excellent post. i have not had any trouble anywhere either. unfortunately for ajijic, people are on medications, have dementia, or drink. .....but reality is, this area has degenerated over the past 20 yrs, has become violent. my only disagreement is "looking them in the eye". best to not engage, look away & hurry. (yes its best to give the $ fast as possible if there is a weapon involved). there is little protection here. people in south/central america have huge barbed wire fences. you never see this in beverly hills. the reason why so many members are angry reading this because they sell real estate, or rent their homes. conflict of interest.

poor folks or kids looking for scraps... pain in the ass but not life threatening... obviously happens everywhere....

Susan alludes to a conspiracy, people trying to hide the nasty secret of Chapala....

tell us Susan... without the benefit of barbed wire... where were U robbed and how fast did U turn over the cash? My O My what kind of weapon did they use? Perhaps it wouldn't have happened if that ole Demented Drunk had only lent a hand...

I hear Detroit is lovely this time of year... and homes are very reasonably priced............
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next