INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart

+19
hound dog
johninajijic
viajero
ferret
arbon
bobnliz
Solovino
hockables
57Chevy
Parker
susan
gringal
Jim W
raqueteer
Carry Bean
Mad_Max
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
simpsca
23 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart - Page 3 Empty Re: Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart

Post by hockables Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:19 pm

susan wrote:raqueteer: excellent post. i have not had any trouble anywhere either. unfortunately for ajijic, people are on medications, have dementia, or drink. .....but reality is, this area has degenerated over the past 20 yrs, has become violent. my only disagreement is "looking them in the eye". best to not engage, look away & hurry. (yes its best to give the $ fast as possible if there is a weapon involved). there is little protection here. people in south/central america have huge barbed wire fences. you never see this in beverly hills. the reason why so many members are angry reading this because they sell real estate, or rent their homes. conflict of interest.

poor folks or kids looking for scraps... pain in the ass but not life threatening... obviously happens everywhere....

Susan alludes to a conspiracy, people trying to hide the nasty secret of Chapala....

tell us Susan... without the benefit of barbed wire... where were U robbed and how fast did U turn over the cash? My O My what kind of weapon did they use? Perhaps it wouldn't have happened if that ole Demented Drunk had only lent a hand...

I hear Detroit is lovely this time of year... and homes are very reasonably priced............

hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart - Page 3 Empty Re: Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart

Post by raqueteer Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:34 pm

For those who think that looking somebody in the eye is risky, consider this. It's the people who look away and run, who are obvious victims, and if they don't get caught this time, they will next time. The idea is not to engage in a staring contest. just make a possible perp aware that you're watching him or her. Not only are you watching them, chances are real good that you can and will do something if they act up. This action would be dumb as ditchwater in a truly confrontational situation in a dangerous and/or dark area. In Wal Mart, gimme a break.

1. Look alert
2. Act alert
3. Look back at them
4. Carry yourself with authority.
5. Speak with authority. This even works on the phone. Give them the message, don't mess with me, ever.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:49 pm

good advice... in a place like WalMart you might also try being chatty with other shoppers... strength in numbers... perp has no idea what you are saying in conversation... U might suggest to others U suspect some might be operating in a group " casing others "
U might have a shopping day with friends and shop in numbers ... kinda like a day @ the Spa...

Lizards ( thieves ) are like water & electricity... they all travel the path of least resistance...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:13 pm

Yeah Hocks, also some good ideas there. Today I went out without a handbag, but wore a top with a pocket on the chest and it had a zipper. It worked fine, no chance of any guy trying to grab anything in that area.
Another pointer for the ladies. Color your hair. Grey hair makes you look older, and therefore weaker. If you're on the small side like I am, you could really be a target. If somebody is sizing me up from a distance, they don't have any idea of my age.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:44 pm

If I ever find myself living in a place where coloring my hair is necessary to foil thieves, I'll move elsewhere.

There are reasons for women to color their hair, but I hadn't heard that one yet. I'll leave that decision for a possible future attack of vanity. I'm thinking maybe French Ho red would be cool, with purple streaks.

Cross my fingers, but I've never had my person robbed in Mexico. Nor my house. On the other hand, I'm cautious and try to avoid doing stupid things. Beyond that..........if I can't get through Walmart without problems, I wouldn't want to stay here. I intend to stay.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Frencho ho red with purple streaks eh?...well, there goes the incognito part of your personna.

I will NOT dye my hair...anyways it's not grey, it's white...I mean, platinum blonde.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:09 pm

Let's face facts, this is hardly the crime capital of the world. The absolute worst is the Vatican City. Check it out, let your fingers do the walking, highest crime rate per capita on the planet.
As for hair color, some women can get away with grey hair, and frankly it looks really good on some people. In my case, since I'm small, and not muscular at all, I try and hide that fact. The same would be true for me no matter where I lived. I like to look younger, think younger and thereby ward off any problems. Larger, or more muscular women don't need to do that. YMMV.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:22 pm

ferret wrote:Frencho ho red with purple streaks eh?...well, there goes the incognito part of your personna.

I will NOT dye my hair...anyways it's not grey, it's white...I mean, platinum blonde.

Heard the one where the little boy asks why women turn blond at 50?

Nope. Haven't done the dye job yet. Lucky dip in the gene pool.........still dark on its own (with a few "platinum blond" hairs in there, but that red job sounds like FUN.

I knew quite a few small ? (under 5'6"), non-muscular women who nobody in his/her right mind would mess with! Bless 'em. One of them has a "look" that would etch glass. That probably does the job.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:37 pm

Well, now that we're really on the hair coloring bit. Let me explain. Obviously I'm an older woman, 5 grandkids, and smaller than 5'6. I have a serious neck problem, but will not let it show. I'd be a fantastic target if anyone knew just how weak I really am. So, rather than be silly about hair color, twice a year or three times I get it done to the point where I don't look like I'm trying to be a teenager again. It takes hours, yes the grey is still there, but there are 4 or 5 other colors carefully worked in to disguise it. In addition to that, I also wear longer sleeves and slacks, never shorts unless I'm at home. Lack of muscle tone is pretty obvious. I have one friend who's under 5 feet, weighs maybe 100 pounds soaking wet, colors her hair, and works out like a demon. Trust me nobody would try anything with her. She looks in her 40's on a bad day.

In my husbands case he's tall, and also still has pretty dark hair. Lots of grey, but not so much that he looks like an easy target. He could easily pass for someone in their early 50's.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:55 pm

Next on the docket for the Guy Gringos:
[img]Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart - Page 3 A011_110[/img]

Along with a pair of boots with extra high heals, no thief in his/her right mind would try it!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:41 pm

Hey, CG........where can the guys or gals get that additive? Bet it looks pretty strange with a Speedo and skinny legs.

Hair color, body bulk, height or strength is somewhat beside the point: In a contest of strength, your basic male can overcome most females. But, as my dear old dad used to say...when the going gets rough, just kick 'em in the balls and run like hell. Sounded a little dangerous, though.
I don't think that kind of scenario is likely to happen at Walmart, thank hevvins. If someone throws mustard on me..........hey......it washes out. Kind of a dumb con, and most everyone has heard of it.

On a practical level, if we stand around on the planet long enough, we will all get OLD, and no matter what we do to disguise it by thought or action, it will happen.........if we are also lucky. Our self-defense techniques or hair color will be meaningless. I see folks around here that couldn't fight off a chihuahua with their canes, let along a healthy attacker. They are careful and cautious. I think that's about the best we can do if we're planning to make this our permanent home.

Hair coloring? To each her own. Not much to argue about, since it's such an individual choice.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:03 pm

Here's a super story where the perp gets done by a pregnant woman.

Happened in Philly this year.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20110718_Cops__Pregnant_woman_gets_the_best_of_assailant.html

Now that's what I'd like to be able to do. Bust the guys leg. If there's anybody out there who can show me how to do that, I'd appreciate it.

This hapless guy is going to be in some serious trouble once he winds up in the pokey. Imagine, oh yeah guys, this dude got his rear handed to him by a pregnant chick. Whoa there, nobody, but nobody wants to be in that position.

Note: This was a dangerous thing to do, the guy could have been armed.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:05 pm

Susan
I don't know you personally but from reading your posts you would appear to be the type of gringa that makes me cringe when I see them trying to interact with the locals,if you don't like the 3rd world why don't you leave,I doubt you'll be missed.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:15 pm

hockables, reread my comments. i have never been robbed, mugged or pick pocketed-anywhere. it could happen anytime, i am careful. as i said people here are on medication, demented, & senile. it is not easy for them to take racqueteer's advice. (stand up straight look aware etc). the younger ones on on cell phones, are screaming to their friends while shopping. or they see a friend & all the hugging kissing screaming manicial laughter, WITH the blasting cell phone ringing and answering it, the handbags are swinging ... well thats not the way to shop. especially in crowds. i have made my case. there is also no barbed wire in boca, boynton beach florida, boston suburbs, long island, jersey, connecticut, vermont....do not know about AZ, not my department. i assume its a mess. if people sell real estate here, then they have to play it down. thats ok. if none of this was true there would not be these comments, or a need for lakesidecrime.com. i wonder why barbed wire is all over mex? hmmmm. where i live p/t, f/t, anytime & why is no ones business. yes i hair dye can be a good idea.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:02 pm

I think in most countries where there is a huge disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" you will find a higher level of property theft from the "haves" hence the need to build walls with barbed wire.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:29 pm

Just a personal observation: The day that I live anywhere were I feel that I have to have: a gun for protection, walls with barbed wire so high that I cannot see out, bars on every window, have a "safe room", carry mace or pepper spray when going out in public, etc. - I am out of there ASAP! That said, I do not have a problem with a security system that uses the best that modern technology offers and provides better than average protection when we am there or when we are away.

I am a fatalist and when it is my time, there isn't much I can do about it but I don't need to invite it either!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:38 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I think in most countries where there is a huge disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" you will find a higher level of property theft from the "haves" hence the need to build walls with barbed wire.

Bob, in Europe, people have been taking extra precautions for donkey's years. Nobody in the cities of Italy or Spain has plain glass windows. Everybody has bars, at least. Shops have pull down metal doors for protection at night, so do many homes, and people both young and old know they have to watch their backs.

In the U.S. today, many people are now in the have not category thanks to the economy. Millions of them. I think that almost 50,000,000 people are currently on food stamps in the U.S. at last count.

Canada so far has been an exception, so we're a bit less aware of what's really going on in the rest of the world.

Lakeside is home to a lot of gringos who are pretty naive about these things. The sight of bars on the windows or barbed wire freaks them out when it's just common sense. As things worsen NOB they'll learn up there too.

When we came here, after living and or traveling in Europe, we had some clue. First thing done, put decorative wrought iron on every opening, not just the ones facing the street. Some people here actually say that if they have to put bars on the windows, they're leaving. News flash, it's going to get to be necessary everywhere. More drugs, unemployment, desperate people, etc. As we get older we have to get smarter, because we're not getting any stronger.

As I've gotten older I started reading blogs on self defense, and home defense. There are lots of very good tips on those blogs. Number one is don't give the perp an opportunity. Number two, look like you're not going to be an easy target. If that means changing your appearance a bit, go for it. As for the house, make sure it's not going to be easy pickings either, make the crooks work for it. 99% of the time they'll move on and leave you alone.

If people who live here are shocked by what happens, I'm amazed. The same petty crime happens every day all over the world and nobody gets their knickers in a twist about it. It's not even reported in the newspapers. Three pickpockets and everyone is shocked, gimme a break. It's a good reminder to be more careful but that's about all.

People must learn to adapt. Don't be flashy, keep a low profile, drive a crappy car, ditch the jewelry at the border. I see easy marks every day of the week here. The big car, the fancy golf duds, the NOB clothes, facelifts, hairdos that would be out of place almost everywhere. Geeez, when does it end? It ends when these people finally give up and go home because they were silly, and never learned to adapt to a changing society. They'll be victimized NOB as well but for the time being they don't think so. Illusions die hard for some.

I see that Neil has chipped in here. We don't have a gun, have a lovely view, but we're careful. Others may not feel the same way that we do. Obviously Neil has a lot of smarts and doesn't take chances.

It has been my experience, and that of bloggers on the subject that well over 95% of the time crime can be avoided peaceably.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:45 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I think in most countries where there is a huge disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" you will find a higher level of property theft from the "haves" hence the need to build walls with barbed wire.
I agree with the disparity problem but I think the walls and barbed wire have more to do with the complete lack of confidence in mexican law enforcement,totally ingrained and justified thru centuries of experience by the mexican public.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Yes, people all over the world are comfortable with the decorative, but effective, barred windows and "living behind the walls". It can be beautiful inside them.

Our old Mexican house had the bars and we left them there. There is a wall around the property that any agile thief could climb, but we don't have razor wire at the top. That's where I draw the line.

When we first moved in, there was a good lock on the front door, but the kitchen door used a skeleton key. (lol). Still, nobody bothered us between then and when the locks were replaced.

I think part of the problem is that too many people are not watchful enough about who has access to their property and their keys. The smiles are warm and reassuring, but they don't mean a thing, in fact. (Just an observation, since I like the politeness here.) You maid's son could be a gangbanger, so when you hire someone, you're hiring the whole family. We went through all that on the "maid" thread, so no need to repeat. Just don't hand over those keys.

It doesn't hurt to repeat the good advice to keep a low profile; not flaunt wealth, etc. And yes, what's going on in the U.S. is going to get ugly with so many have-nots resulting from the current and future economic situation. Mexico already has so many poor people that even the less well off retired gringos look rich in comparison.

Finally, the purpose of having brains is to make you life work.....so use them.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:02 pm

We have hefty bougainvillea, and good neighbors. That does it for us. No razor wire.
Cheers.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:05 pm

Good neighbors are the best. We are lucky enough to have them.
Bougies are a wonderful plant, right up there with cactus!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:35 pm

I think the level of poverty in Mexico is far greater and most defiantly more widespread than the US and Canada. They don 't have "food stamps" or a welfare system that I am aware of.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:40 pm

5 pages already!!! Is this topic going for 10 pages???
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:35 pm

And your point, johnnyboy?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:48 pm

the top of his head

fortunately they don't have any problems in SanDiego so he don't hafta worry... Very Happy
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:56 pm

Just like we don't have any problems in Albuquerque! Get real, there aren't many places NOB (US or Canada) that don't have issues in one part of town or another. Anyone who denies this is a damned fool in denial!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next