INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart

+19
hound dog
johninajijic
viajero
ferret
arbon
bobnliz
Solovino
hockables
57Chevy
Parker
susan
gringal
Jim W
raqueteer
Carry Bean
Mad_Max
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
simpsca
23 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart - Page 4 Empty Re: Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:56 pm

Just like we don't have any problems in Albuquerque! Get real, there aren't many places NOB (US or Canada) that don't have issues in one part of town or another. Anyone who denies this is a damned fool in denial!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart - Page 4 Empty Re: Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart

Post by Solovino Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:07 pm

My daughter and I met with the Director of Social Development for the municipality of Cihuatlán today. He took us on a tour of some areas heavily affected by Hurricane Jova. These were areas on the outskirts of the town of Cihuatlán which are home, or in some cases, were home to the more impoverished people of the region.

On the drive home my daughter and I were talking about what a difficult life so many people here have. When you get up close to this level of poverty you realize that for many there really is little chance of them escaping and when/where there is no hope it is easy to understand how so many resort to crime.

Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart - Page 4 2046400260099964167S600x600Q85

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart - Page 4 2174740270099964167S600x600Q85

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:24 pm

good point.....thank you solovino for sharing these sobering pictures.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:25 pm

A very good point Solo, here we have a lot more opportunistic form of thief for the most part. Those who choose crime or drugs as a way of life deliberately. I have found that many of the poorest people are also the most honest. Lakeside, a good person can earn a decent if not luxurious living, elsewhere as you point out it ¡s pretty dismal.

How are they doing over on the coast, and what is the best way in your opinion to help?

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:51 pm

There has been a lot of progress in the clean up. Immediate needs such as food and clothing have been pretty well covered. The federal government has been giving monetary aid and corporations have been pretty generous.

For the time being organizing and acquiring materials for reconstruction is where most of the need is now.

Household goods such as dishes, utensils, pots and pans, linens, towels etc. are also needed. While in univesity, my daughter had some experience in soliciting the large box stores for donations and will see if she can organize something through the private universities in Guadalajara. A very worthy project for students doing their obligatory social service.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:06 pm

Solovino wrote:My daughter and I met with the Director of Social Development for the municipality of Cihuatlán today. He took us on a tour of some areas heavily affected by Hurricane Jova. These were areas on the outskirts of the town of Cihuatlán which are home, or in some cases, were home to the more impoverished people of the region.

On the drive home my daughter and I were talking about what a difficult life so many people here have. When you get up close to this level of poverty you realize that for many there really is little chance of them escaping and when/where there is no hope it is easy to understand how so many resort to crime.

Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart - Page 4 2046400260099964167S600x600Q85

We understand, Sr. Arce. Why did you bury this important information in an otherwise frivolous thread about Walmart, for God´s sake? The people who read this sort of forum have no idea of the poverty and hopelessness of which you speak and there is no chance that they ever will. They are the same *ssholes who welcomed that recent hurricane becase it would keep the lake level appropriate to keep those newly built malecons attractive with water and facilitate launching those tourist boats to Scorpion Island.

Tell me, Sr. Arce, after all those years here and after many days of hard sweat labor in the forests of Chiapas, why you give a flying f*ck about these interlopers who followed you here and pretend to belong among locals when they have no idea of even where they are.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:41 pm

I have to admit, mutt, that the lack of interest and response to a prior post about Jova was hardly surprising. I did though receive a PM this evening from a poster that echoed much of what you say. Many complain that they are never really accepted into Mexican society. How many have stopped and wondered exactly why that is?

Oh, and forget that Sr. Arce crap.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:49 pm

I get why people are not accepted into Mexican society. There are a whole bunch of reasons...some are the fault of the gringos, and some reasons are just because that is the way it is, even for good gringos who break their backs to help others. We are not Mexican, and never will be.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:01 pm

I've lost everything in a horrible hurricane in the 90's in the Virgin Islands. Spent the night huddled in a bathroom while the roof blew off & everything I owned got sucked out. Spent 3 months without power & bathed in a bucket for that long. I was, however luckier than those poor souls who might not have had much to start with but their loss was greater than mine. I could eventually replace what I lost.

I didn't take anything from FEMA but it was there for those who needed it. Unfortunately, the scumbags who didn't lose anything were first in line with their hands out. Too bad there isn't the equivalent of FEMA there for the ones hit with the hurricane.

I don't understand why Hound dog has a house in the midst of the people he loathes so much. Guess he just likes to feel superior.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:13 pm

I believe you misinterpreted what the Dawg wrote Carry.

Raqueteer had a legitimate query Solovino...about helping...yet you sort of brushed it off.

Everyone supporting an organization has a hand out here. Where does someone send or give legitimate help to the victims of Jova? Help that we can be assured will reach those in need?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:14 pm

Ms Bean... the dawg's scorn was directed at U & Me ... not the indigenous souls of Melaque or San Christobal..
when U compared your plight with that of these folks... I almost agreed with him... until U recognised your ability to replace and move on...

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:45 pm

ferret wrote: Raqueteer had a legitimate query Solovino...about helping...yet you sort of brushed it off.

Everyone supporting an organization has a hand out here. Where does someone send or give legitimate help to the victims of Jova? Help that we can be assured will reach those in need?

It wasn't my intention to brush off any aid query. At the moment it appears that the best way to help would be through a monetary contribution. The problem there is exactly how you stated it. Getting it directly to those in need and that is something that I can't tell you.

I will be personally administrating funds received through family and friends. Every last centavo will be directly applied to helping the victims and we will try to put as much money as possible directly into the local economy. I will account for every peso but that really isn't something that will be expected from me. I have several very trustworthy friends helping to identify the people most in need. No politics, no religion, no cronyism.

I will be in contact with the local Secretaría de Desarollo Social and will certainly ask how contributions can be made. But I can't guarantee how much will actually be received by those in need. I will say that I came away very impressed with the Director of Social Development. The guy is working night and day to help the victims. The genuine esteem directed towards him by the people we visited today was further proof of his character. And believe me, I've dealt with literally hundreds of bureaucrats in my time and can recognize a sleaze ball when I see them.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:37 am

Thank you. As you say, not all DIF reps are reliable. The good ones are usually outstanding.

When you are able to get the info, please let us know.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:07 am

I really thought I was done for tonight, but it appears not. In my experience with a natural disaster, the people most in need were least likely to accept help. Even though, at the time I had 35 English students, and asked for a list, I received this answer. No Señora we're doing fine.

As most of us know, little aid was received by the Haitians, despite massive donations. This is all too common.

I have, in fact been to some pretty poor places, most gringos haven't seen anything, and been received as hospitably in these homes if not more so than the most elaborate gringo houses here. Money is often an answer, but not always.

Clearly building materials are needed. I know I have a lot of them kicking around here. How about asking local builders who need to clear out some of their own stuff, like a friend of mine who is about to hire a backhoe and throw out a lot of fairly decent materials. Why not buy ourselves new hoses, or paint, or new wood, and donate all our excess to these people. They would be doing us a big favor, and they would have the pride of accomplishing their own new town. Clearly funding would also be needed, however I'd personally like to see actual building materials go directly to the people. Whether through monetary donations or getting our hands dirty and cleaning out our bodegas. Ditto for closets, and the kitchen. Forget garage sales and cocktail parties.

These people may be poor, but they are proud and self reliant. A Mexican can make something out of anything, they continue to amaze me with their ingenuity. Kids seeing this would learn a very valuable lesson, one which could actually let them see their way out of hopeless situations both now and in their future.

Yes, this needs its own thread.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:21 am

57Chevy wrote:I get why people are not accepted into Mexican society. There are a whole bunch of reasons...some are the fault of the gringos, and some reasons are just because that is the way it is, even for good gringos who break their backs to help others. We are not Mexican, and never will be.

Chevy, let's ditch the Gringo Mexican crap. We are all people. I don't care whether I'm accepted or not, it's not a big deal. Usually I am accepted but that's not the issue. When people need help, they need help. Period.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:10 am

Raqueteer, I was responding directly to Solovino's post several steps prior. You missed the point he was making and that I was agreeing with. We weren't talking about help at that point. There was a divergence in response to I think it was dawg's post. So, read more carefully. I don't think there was any "crap" anywhere in the postings. Solovino seemed to be saying that gringos don't seem to get why they are often NOT accepted. Whatever....the aggressiveness and the nit-picking is really irritating.
It would be nice to stay on subject and keep it simpler.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:36 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Just a personal observation: The day that I live anywhere were I feel that I have to have: a gun for protection, walls with barbed wire so high that I cannot see out, bars on every window, have a "safe room", carry mace or pepper spray when going out in public, etc. - I am out of there ASAP! That said, I do not have a problem with a security system that uses the best that modern technology offers and provides better than average protection when we am there or when we are away.

I am a fatalist and when it is my time, there isn't much I can do about it but I don't need to invite it either!

Now, now Neil.

My darlin´ wife who you know and The Dawg were married in Mobile in 1971 and lived for a time in an old carriage house on splendid Spring Hill Boulevard when first betrothed that was an old slave quarters adjacent to a fine old pre-civil war mansion occupied by an old lady (our landlord) whose mind, or what was left of it, was still dwelling in the 1930s and that carriage house had beautiful iron bars on all of its windows that added immensely to the architectural uniqueness of that marvelous old property. When we lived in Mobile and, later, in Oakland and San Francisco and many other towns on the Northern California coast, we always had a 38 revolver close by and a 12 gauge shotgun for backup. Here in Ajijic we have 8 foot solid walls and concertina wire on top of that plus a 24 hour a day monitored alarm system with bars on all doors and windows which, once again, are treasured architectural accoutrements.

In Alabama when I was a kid, we never had bars on windows or property walls in the small town in which I was raised and bars and walls would have been considered gauche but now that we have experienced the beauty and privacy provided by wrought iron bars and high walls surrounding our property and, thereby, providing us with our own "secret garden", we will never go back to that front porch and big lawn "How yáll doin´ Maybeline and Jim Bob? " culture.

Let´s see where we would go to avoid civil strife and crime in a place where there is no economic inequality? I get it! Sweden. Thank you but if we ever leave the Lake Chapala and Chiapas Highlands areas we´ll take somewhat dangerous Paris. You can keep Albuquerque all to yourself.

The last time we visited Paris and stayed with my sister-in-law, her remark to us was that we had to park our rental car in her apartment building´s secure garage because if we left it parked in the street in that very nice neighborhood overnight it, "...will be stolen or at the least vandalized."

Safety, certainty and security only exist in the grave.

Smokealot
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:03 am

Carry Bean wrote:
I don't understand why Hound dog has a house in the midst of the people he loathes so much. Guess he just likes to feel superior.

Perhaps an elementary course in reading comprehension would be appropriate for you Carry Bean.

Shortly before the famous country music composer and singer Hank Williams died in his 20s in the 1950s, he was trying to give up drinking as he was a terrible alcoholic and he stopped at a roadside cafe and bar in the deep south on his way to a gig where the local redneck ole boys recognized him and, in a convivial spirit, invited him, to join them for a drink. He thanked them but turned them down for reasons he could not explain. They were somewhat offended and one of them responded, "Well, you look down on us, don´t you." To which, Williams responded, " I never met anyone in my entire life I ever looked down on."

Now, I guess I know why you left the Caribbean.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:06 am

I was referring to the contempt you seem to have for most NOB types. Over & over you make scathing remarks painting all with the same brush. I was not referring to the Mexican population. Maybe you should take that reading comprehension course yourself.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:41 am

Carry Bean wrote:I was referring to the contempt you seem to have for most NOB types. Over & over you make scathing remarks painting all with the same brush. I was not referring to the Mexican population. Maybe you should take that reading comprehension course yourself.

OK, Carry Bean, maybe you are right or perhaps we are both victims of the problems associated with communicating over the internet without the benefit of conversing face-to-face with others while interpreting the nuances of their "body english" if you get my drift.

The reason we maintain a home among these NOB maggots is because they live in a beautiful area with a special and highly desirable climate and our home is isolated by high walls and a splendid garden. Also, we can escape to exotic Chiapas when the place becomes wearing. I might add that there are those among the NOBBERS we actually like both here at Lake Chapala and (to a far lesser extent because there are so few of them) down in Chiapas although, sad to say, you are not among that select group because of your temperamental eccentricities.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:22 am

hound dog wrote:
Carry Bean wrote:I was referring to the contempt you seem to have for most NOB types. Over & over you make scathing remarks painting all with the same brush. I was not referring to the Mexican population. Maybe you should take that reading comprehension course yourself.

OK, Carry Bean, maybe you are right or perhaps we are both victims of the problems associated with communicating over the internet without the benefit of conversing face-to-face with others while interpreting the nuances of their "body english" if you get my drift.

The reason we maintain a home among these NOB maggots is because they live in a beautiful area with a special and highly desirable climate and our home is isolated by high walls and a splendid garden. Also, we can escape to exotic Chiapas when the place becomes wearing. I might add that there are those among the NOBBERS we actually like both here at Lake Chapala and (to a far lesser extent because there are so few of them) down in Chiapas although, sad to say, you are not among that select group because of your temperamental eccentricities.

And then again it maybe because of your temperamental eccentricities or perhaps she just wouldn’t want to? Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:25 am

57Chevy wrote:Raqueteer, I was responding directly to Solovino's post several steps prior. You missed the point he was making and that I was agreeing with. We weren't talking about help at that point. There was a divergence in response to I think it was dawg's post. So, read more carefully. I don't think there was any "crap" anywhere in the postings. Solovino seemed to be saying that gringos don't seem to get why they are often NOT accepted. Whatever....the aggressiveness and the nit-picking is really irritating.

I'm sorry, I'm afraid that I don't remember a post made by Solovino regarding social acceptance. To my knowledge the only posts he made yesterday were regarding the situation on the coast.
If you'd care to point that out, I'll apologize. The help thing needs to have its own thread, because frankly worrying about social acceptance is not in the cards when people are in need.

Ah, I see, Solo was commenting on the idiocy of people complaining about not being accepted in Mexican society instead of doing more productive things, and yes the help issue was first and foremost at that point. So, if you think that's being aggressive and nitpicky you go right ahead.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by raqueteer on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correcting a misperception)

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:34 am

The reason we maintain a home among these NOB maggots......
The Dawg.

Last edited by gringal on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:52 am

Can we move on to the issue of help, and can C.B. or a moderator give it a separate thread.

I will not be able to participate much due to neck pain, however have made a short list of things which I have available after numerous projects here.

Unused tiles, enough for a small kitchen work area.
Fabric for curtains
Clean pieces of unused wood suitable for shelving.
Bricks
Paint which was an unsuitable color.
Bags of door and drawer handles.
Light fixtures.
A sink plus all fittings
A large metal display stand for vegetables or other items for sale.
Wooden rods for hanging clothes.
2 boxes of masks to protect against the nasty bugs in dust after a mudslide.

That is a start, since I haven't been able to do a survey of the bodegas.

Kitchen and other items will have to wait till I get this pain under control.

A suggestion, if we were to keep a running tally perhaps some willing gringos such as ourselves can chip in to hire a truck for delivery as needed. Solo can keep us up to date on the needs as that information become available.

One other thought I had last night was first aid kits for people working on reconstruction.

I'm sure many others have more and probably better ideas, so please just keep adding them in, even before we have a new thread.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:58 am

raqueteer wrote:
57Chevy wrote:Raqueteer, I was responding directly to Solovino's post several steps prior. You missed the point he was making and that I was agreeing with. We weren't talking about help at that point. There was a divergence in response to I think it was dawg's post. So, read more carefully. I don't think there was any "crap" anywhere in the postings. Solovino seemed to be saying that gringos don't seem to get why they are often NOT accepted. Whatever....the aggressiveness and the nit-picking is really irritating.

I'm sorry, I'm afraid that I don't remember a post made by Solovino regarding social acceptance. To my knowledge the only posts he made yesterday were regarding the situation on the coast.
If you'd care to point that out, I'll apologize. The help thing needs to have its own thread, because frankly worrying about social acceptance is not in the cards when people are in need.

Ah, I see, Solo was commenting on the idiocy of people complaining about not being accepted in Mexican society instead of doing more productive things, and yes the help issue was first and foremost at that point. So, if you think that's being aggressive and nitpicky you go right ahead.

Have a nice day.

I think we’re all still waiting?

Re: Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart
by Solovino Yesterday at 8:41 pm
I have to admit, mutt, that the lack of interest and response to a prior post about Jova was hardly surprising. I did though receive a PM this evening from a poster that echoed much of what you say. Many complain that they are never really accepted into Mexican society. How many have stopped and wondered exactly why that is?

Oh, and forget that Sr. Arce crap.

Re: Beware! Another type of scam at Walmart
by 57Chevy Yesterday at 8:49 pm
I get why people are not accepted into Mexican society. There are a whole bunch of reasons...some are the fault of the gringos, and some reasons are just because that is the way it is, even for good gringos who break their backs to help others. We are not Mexican, and never will be.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next