INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federal Police took my vehicle

+30
Trailrunner
ferret
hockables
Twonk
MexicoPete
RoofBob
merry
slainte39
Mainecoons
snowyco
Jim W
CheenaGringo
CanuckBob
jackak10
mikey1953
Intercasa
johninajijic
gringal
Libelula
Chapala Payaso
rjf1943
sparks
Parker
espíritu del lago
Smartalex
Grizzy
viajero
binky
Luisa
sundown
34 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Federal Police took my vehicle - Page 2 Empty Re: Federal Police took my vehicle

Post by Chapala Payaso Wed May 30, 2012 11:19 am

Interesting commentary but, as Paul Harvey would ask, what is the rest of the story? If all is as the OP stated, then there is a conflict in the applicable law. This has never been an issue in the past. Yhe police's atitude seems hostile. Why? A trip to aduana to check on their perspective of the law and the case in point would be prudent. While there, check on the tax referred to.

Chapala Payaso
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Federal Police took my vehicle - Page 2 Empty Re: Federal Police took my vehicle

Post by espíritu del lago Wed May 30, 2012 11:27 am

I agree c.p....

espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by rjf1943 Wed May 30, 2012 11:53 am

Spencer, I would be interested in your view of "violation 49.70".
rjf1943
rjf1943

Back to top Go down

Post by Libelula Wed May 30, 2012 11:57 am

sparks wrote:
rjf1943 wrote:
viajero wrote:
Parker wrote:We have always kept our plates current and just figured we would do as much as possible to keep ourselves off the radar.
But have you renewed your vehicle import permit?

And how would a person do that?

A visit to Aduana. Most people are doing this to preserve their deposit ... but those of us tha have been here awhile have no deposit to protect

Aduana will give you a permit extension for free

Are you saying that those of us who brought out cars in before the hefty deposit was required need to renew our permit every year? Spencer, please give your opinion

Libelula

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Wed May 30, 2012 1:09 pm

Maybe topic should be split and put in legal. Sure Bob will get to it when he has time.

espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 pm

We came in on California plates over 8 years ago and never did a thing about them, on the assumption that if our FM3 or FM2 was current, we were okay. We got the smog cert. every year. CA won't let you renew your plates without being there, having a CA address and current insurance.......and we've never been back, so that wasn't an option.

That left the So. Dakota option or going for Mexican plates. Long story short. First, got the non-op by mail from CA before our license expired (Very Important),
sold the car to a daughter who promptly drove it to the border, took it to the nearest AZ office and got straightened out. We bought a new Mexican car the year they lifted the extra fees and are glad we did, because that little motorcycle cop kept following us around while driving the old CA car, looking for a reason to hit us up. I think the regs have changed in the last two years, so that he could have nailed us. Now nobody gives us a second look.
My advice: Forget the So. Dakota route. If you actually live here as your principal residence, bite the bullet and have some peace of mind, even if it costs you.
Sorry to hear about that experience our OP had. Scary.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed May 30, 2012 1:58 pm

We certainly could use a clarification of the Law here from Spencer.

Here is what I was told by my neighbor. If you brought your car in over a year ago, not sure what date, you are OK. You can drive it on expired US plates as long as you keep your FM 3/FM 2 up to date, renewed and have a valid Mexican insurance policy.

BUT, if you brought you car in LESS than a year ago, like my neighbor did, she has to go to Aduana at the Airport EVERY YEAR and pay a fee. She has already done this a few months back.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Wed May 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Two people I know have gone to Aduana in Manzanillo to renew their permits ... and besides a lot of paper work, it cost them nothing. They come away with a piece of paper that says they are current. They all did it to protect their deposit.

If every US/Canada plated car (no matter how long here) started going to Aduana I'm sure they would get sick of it and pass it up the line.

My permit is from 2005 and has never been an issue
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed May 30, 2012 2:34 pm

sparks wrote:Two people I know have gone to Aduana in Manzanillo to renew their permits ... and besides a lot of paper work, it cost them nothing. They come away with a piece of paper that says they are current. They all did it to protect their deposit.

If every US/Canada plated car (no matter how long here) started going to Aduana I'm sure they would get sick of it and pass it up the line.

My permit is from 2005 and has never been an issue

2007 for us never an issue, new regulations, who really knows. The next car will be Mexican plated but we’re just not ready. This is the best driving and riding car we’ve ever had and couldn’t afford the same here plus we got an incredible bargain, not likely to see again in our lifetime. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed May 30, 2012 3:52 pm

I´m clueless, there is no section 49 of the federal transit law. What law were they citing? Did you get a copy of what you signed?

Maybe it is an elaborate scam. The bad cops get craftier all the time.

From my reading of the story it was robbery under color of law and a scam with the other local authorities in on it, nothing for the rest of us to worry about.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Wed May 30, 2012 4:20 pm

What is required to nationalize a car?
Who could help us do it?
What is the approximate cost?

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by jackak10 Wed May 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Intercasa wrote:
From my reading of the story it was robbery under color of law and a scam with the other local authorities in on it, nothing for the rest of us to worry about.

Huh? You mean not to worry until "the rest of us" are victimized?

jackak10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed May 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Nationalization runs $2,000 to $3,000US and we do not offer the service.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed May 30, 2012 4:59 pm

On nationalization: We were driving an 11 year old pickup with nearly100K miles on it, so paying thousands of bucks to "nationalize" it didn't make sense. Selling it on the "family plan" did, so that's what we did, per post above.

For those contemplating a permanent move to Mexico, I'd suggest seriously thinking about selling your car before you leave, flying down, renting one if you need to when you get here and taking a look at some of the many, many brands available here.

There's a local man who will rent you a car on a weekly or longer basis. Reliable guy.

Personally, we got good service from a local dealer who will haul you around to see everything for a modest fee and do the hassle work for you. Bargaining on price isn't the same as it is in the U.S., so there's no point going through that routine. Some brands are actually built differently from their North American cousins, with a higher clearance. Good when you meet the topes.

Whether you need an small or large car depends on what you're planning to use it for.
The local streets in the villages are narrow and parking is ....a challenge. You'll notice that when you get here. Some swear by their SUV's. Matter of opinion there. Most taxis are just ordinary sedans.

Another option is buying used Mexican plated from an expat going back North. Just something to think about.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed May 30, 2012 5:10 pm

This whole thing is starting to sound a little fishy to me.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by jackak10 Wed May 30, 2012 5:28 pm

This whole thread started from a long, rambling post about being victimized by crooked cops and somehow got off onto paperwork.

Wasn't the OP the same person who told of the girl abducted at gunpoint inside Soriana by 4 armed criminals, then never posted anything to verify it? How about an update, Sundown, other than to say you can't post anything specific because you were threatened. If that's the case, why post at all?

jackak10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed May 30, 2012 5:40 pm

As far as paying some annual fee, I don´t think so. I have done hundreds of notifications for people with varying dates on their importation permits. If there is a problem then aduana sends my office a notice.

Currently we have only received 2 notices, one saying the person who switched to an FM2 and had working papers wasn´t authorized to have a foreign plated car and another notice asking for a copy of the spouse´s FM3 as both names were on the permit.

Never has there been any mention of a tax paid or due and we would know or have been informed as we are doing notifications and if a tax wasn´t being paid, don´t you think they´d send us a letter asking for payment?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 30, 2012 5:40 pm

gringal wrote:On nationalization: We were driving an 11 year old pickup with nearly100K miles on it, so paying thousands of bucks to "nationalize" it didn't make sense. Selling it on the "family plan" did, so that's what we did, per post above.

For those contemplating a permanent move to Mexico, I'd suggest seriously thinking about selling your car before you leave, flying down, renting one if you need to when you get here and taking a look at some of the many, many brands available here.

There's a local man who will rent you a car on a weekly or longer basis. Reliable guy.

Personally, we got good service from a local dealer who will haul you around to see everything for a modest fee and do the hassle work for you. Bargaining on price isn't the same as it is in the U.S., so there's no point going through that routine. Some brands are actually built differently from their North American cousins, with a higher clearance. Good when you meet the topes.

Whether you need an small or large car depends on what you're planning to use it for.
The local streets in the villages are narrow and parking is ....a challenge. You'll notice that when you get here. Some swear by their SUV's. Matter of opinion there. Most taxis are just ordinary sedans.

Another option is buying used Mexican plated from an expat going back North. Just something to think about.

Great advice. That is exactly what we did. Found a great mini van within 3 weeks. Flying under the radar now (except the photo radar)......jajajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed May 30, 2012 5:42 pm

This thread is starting to have many of the same characteristics of the thread by "RAQ" that ran her off.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed May 30, 2012 6:08 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
gringal wrote:On nationalization: We were driving an 11 year old pickup with nearly100K miles on it, so paying thousands of bucks to "nationalize" it didn't make sense. Selling it on the "family plan" did, so that's what we did, per post above.

Bob, how did you receive ticket, without fm3, hard to believe MX has their computers interactively set up? Apparently ticket goes to vehicle registered owner.....won't be long before insurance companies follow US standards....ticket bumps premium... Dead Horse

Great advice. That is exactly what we did. Found a great mini van within 3 weeks. Flying under the radar now (except the photo radar)......jajajaja.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed May 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Intercasa wrote:As far as paying some annual fee, I don´t think so. I have done hundreds of notifications for people with varying dates on their importation permits. If there is a problem then aduana sends my office a notice.
Are Inmigrante Rentistas required by law to notify the aduana every year?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed May 30, 2012 6:26 pm

People with deposits need to notify to not lose their deposits so for them I´d say yes with the penalty being potentially losing the deposit as a sanction.

For pre deposit people the aduana enforcement manual shows a ruling that late filing of the notification doesn´t mean the vehicle is illegally in the country.

For these reasons I say notification isn´t mandatory but for some has the benefit of keeping their deposit alive and for others they have a bunch of papers to show to whoever stops them and so far the people have been let go almost always with few problems in comparison to those who do not do the notification and have a copied and pasted article 106 in their glove box.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed May 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Hey Jim...........When you do a quote, it's a little confusing to find someone else's comment embedded in it, such as:

"
Bob, how did you receive ticket, without fm3, hard to believe MX has their computers interactively set up? Apparently ticket goes to vehicle registered owner.....won't be long before insurance companies follow US standards....ticket bumps premium... Dead Horse"

So........we're easily enough confused on here........si?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed May 30, 2012 6:54 pm

gringal...el correcto....LMAO.....didn't intend to do this......sorry...Don't know how it happened...eyes are gone I guess..
totally unintentional.

jim w
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyco Thu May 31, 2012 7:35 am

For the past 9 months, our Aduana office (Progreso, Yucatan) has told expats they must register their new INM permit/visa expiration dates with Aduana to keep their Temporary Import Permits in force, regardless of when you got your Aduana permit. When the vehicle owner registers the new visa expiration date, our Aduana office issues a nice letter documenting the current registration date and confirming that your car permit is still valid.

snowyco

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu May 31, 2012 8:57 am

Good advice. We're having Spencer do a notification to Aduana on our car again this year along with FM3 renewals. Used the paperwork once when questioned at a check point, worked like a champ.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next