INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally - a Great Cheeseburger at Lakeside

+22
Carry Bean
Big Daddy Mexico
Zedinmexico
Axixic
Ms.Thang
hound dog
slainte39
Rosa Venus
Viajero-Tiempo
ferret
CheenaGringo
gringal
Smartalex
viajero
E-raq
ComputerGuy
seisdedos
johninajijic
Ms Mac
Uncle Jack
SunsetKid
brigitte
26 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Finally - a Great Cheeseburger at Lakeside - Page 4 Empty Re: Finally - a Great Cheeseburger at Lakeside

Post by hound dog Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:03 pm

[quote="Uncle Jack"]With all the foodies down there and the abundance of good fresh cabbage, I woud think someone could do well making kraut and kim chee.
uj[/quote]

Well, UJ, Dawg makes Kim Chi at my house in Ajijic using some ingredients I buy at a Korean grocer in Guadalajara and my Kim Chi is far more redolent of garlic and far more imposing and rotten than anything you can buy in that town much less laughable, suburban, whitebread Lakeside. May these honkies drown in their insipid twice-boiled, flavorless potatoes and pan-fried pork chops. If they did autopsies on these white folks after even 70 years of banana-like life on the planet, they would find underutilized intestinal tracts.

hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Finally - a Great Cheeseburger at Lakeside - Page 4 Empty Re: Finally - a Great Cheeseburger at Lakeside

Post by seisdedos Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:45 pm

hound dog wrote: If they did autopsies on these white folks after even 70 years of banana-like life on the planet, they would find underutilized intestinal tracts.

Whereas yours are constantly full of ....
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:24 am

Early Bird Cafe... is Rick's kraut not decent?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:24 am

E-Raq: something wrong with trying to PM you today, so posting here:

I didn't know you were local to Ontario. How cool. I miss Harvey's immensely. When I flew up to Ottawa a couple of months ago, I took my (now grown) kids, and as we were leaving, I ordered more onion rings to go. Best in the world. And somewhere along the line, I started buying Harvey Veggie Burgers... I found that with all the pickles, peppers, and other stuff on top, I couldn't tell a difference in taste. Weird or what? ... Mike
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:52 am

seisdedos wrote:
hound dog wrote: If they did autopsies on these white folks after even 70 years of banana-like life on the planet, they would find underutilized intestinal tracts.
Whereas yours are constantly full of ....

You know, Seis, because of your tenure as my greatest fan, I forgive this indecent attempt to besmirch Dawg´s character by inferring that my intestinal tract is stuffed from throat to anus with clogged human waste matter thereby further inferring that I am "full of sh*t" which is a standard human condition of which I am not ashamed any more than a shrimp (cockroach of the sea) is ashamed to be stripped of its fecal matter by some human retard in what is known politely as "deveining".

There is, however, one inconsistency in your remarks. The ingestion of a really powerful kim chi resolves all problems humans experience in fecal matter elimination. Anyone who has enjoyed a really KOREAN kim chi knows that kim chi is the world+s greatest laxative and the simple ingestion of a true kim chi causes explosive digestive processes which not only initiate waste material elimination but, if properly mastered on a poop machine, is a sublime experience for a geezer.

Excuse me, I must go now.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:24 pm

HelperGuy wrote:E-Raq: something wrong with trying to PM you today, so posting here:

I didn't know you were local to Ontario. How cool. I miss Harvey's immensely. When I flew up to Ottawa a couple of months ago, I took my (now grown) kids, and as we were leaving, I ordered more onion rings to go. Best in the world. And somewhere along the line, I started buying Harvey Veggie Burgers... I found that with all the pickles, peppers, and other stuff on top, I couldn't tell a difference in taste. Weird or what? ... Mike

Toronto Mike, lived there for 50 years. BTW we did a Harvey run in August, and frankly they just weren't as good as they used to be. They have also changed the damned fries, which used to be top of the line.
Same deal with Swiss Chalet. Many of the restaurants have removed most of the salt that used to make the chicken ever so goooood. Progress, hmmm I don't think so. Now we were en route to the Aberfoyle Inn which was closed, so maybe we were just a bit jaded. The onion rings are, thank god, still stellar.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Agreed... not as good as before. I didn't notice about the fries... the last time I recall that happening I was in college in the very early 70's, and they went from making their own to imitating McDonalds. Phooey. Didn't have time last trip for Swiss Chalet; my Mom was always asking them why they couldn't open one at Lakeside... .
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:41 pm

A Swiss Chalet at lakeside...now THAT would really make me happy. Love it, love it, love it. Great chicken, great ribs, great fries and REALLY great sauce.
The raccoons at Edward's Gardens used to love munching on the bones from the most recently eaten 1/2 chicken dinner too.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:21 am

What we do about Swiss Chalet is buy the packets of dry sauce at Loblaws, every time we're in Toronto, a lot of them BTW. Now with the new barbeque, friends are bringing us back a rotisserie from the U.S., soooo add the salt back in, make your own fresh cut fries, whip up the sauce, 3 minutes, and we have a dinner for 2 or four. TA DA. Very Happy
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:32 pm

OK! SPILL! What packets of sauce? Are they labelled "Swiss Chalet"? Are any of the ingredients nasty? like MSG?
Need to know soon...before visitors arrive from the Great White North?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:51 pm

ferret wrote:OK! SPILL! What packets of sauce? Are they labelled "Swiss Chalet"? Are any of the ingredients nasty? like MSG?
Need to know soon...before visitors arrive from the Great White North?

Label: Swiss Chalet dipping sauce/sauce a trempette.

ingredients.

Modified cornstarch, salt, tomato powder, chicken fat, dextrose, spice, caramel color, onion powder garlic powder, silicon dioxide.

You be the judge. Once in a while couldn´t hurt. IMHO.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:58 pm

OH YUCK! Modified Cornstarch is MSG...but it just might be worth the headache. :) Thanks!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Are you sure about that, Ferret? I looked it up & got this answer:
What is modified cornstarch?

It is a derivative of corn, chemically altered to dissolve quickly and serve as a thickener. People who have wheat and gluten allergies should avoid products with this ingredient as it is often can be supplemented by a supplier by food starch from; wheat, potato, rice, or tapioca.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Jack Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Modified cornstarch is not MSG.

uj
Uncle Jack
Uncle Jack
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twisted and Bizarre

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm headed to Toronto again on Nov 20th to see kids, grandkids and friends.

I just might have a few extra packets of Swiss Chalet BBQ sauce mix and marinade in the luggage on return. (if the baggage handlers in Mexico City don't steal it!!!!)

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:16 pm

Big hint for you Sun Fan. Buy some Indian spices in cellulose packages, put the dipping sauce with those, and the sniffer doggies will never notice the chicken fat smell.

Worked for us.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Hey Helper dude, we found the arrachera burgers today at Wally World. Bingo, a Harvey's clone coming right up and pronto.

Thanks.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Carry Bean wrote:Are you sure about that, Ferret? I looked it up & got this answer:
What is modified cornstarch?
It is a derivative of corn, chemically altered to dissolve quickly and serve as a thickener. People who have wheat and gluten allergies should avoid products with this ingredient as it is often can be supplemented by a supplier by food starch from; wheat, potato, rice, or tapioca.

Here are some links that make me think that modified cornstarch is yet another name for MSG...
http://agentlejoy.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/msg-hidden-and-not-so-hidden/
http://www.inlightimes.com/archives/2007/05/msg.htm
http://www.glutathionediseasecure.com/other-names-for-MSG.html ....this link was posted by E-raq in the Medical & Dental section
http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html
http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/261-understanding-foods-labeled-modified-what-is-modified-food-starch-and-should-it-be-avoided.html

Everybody's different and those who have no food or additive sensitivities are blessed IMHO. I'm not one of them and make my choices accordingly.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:12 am

E-raq wrote:Hey Helper dude, we found the arrachera burgers today at Wally World. Bingo, a Harvey's clone coming right up and pronto. Thanks.
Let us know what you think... I add Mt. Olive dill pickles I get in big jars at SuperLake along with all the other stuff on top.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:14 pm

HelperGuy wrote:
E-raq wrote:Hey Helper dude, we found the arrachera burgers today at Wally World. Bingo, a Harvey's clone coming right up and pronto. Thanks.
Let us know what you think... I add Mt. Olive dill pickles I get in big jars at SuperLake along with all the other stuff on top.

Lawd ha mercy. Now that is a burger you can believe in. Yummy. I didn't get the dill pickles, but will next time, as in this week. Plus some of those Kraft cheese slices, which aren't really good for you, but hey, who cares at our age.

Here's the scoop. We bought Beefmaster, which I think ran about 65 pesos for 6. There was another brand, the patties were thicker, but they were 70 pesos for 4. Now these puppies are HUGE. No way I could eat a whole one. So we split them in 2, and big guy had a whacking big plateful of wedgies as well.

They truly are very similar to the original unadulterated Harvey burgers.

Many thanks, no more dry tasteless ones made from scratch.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:29 am

Yay! Swear to god, you haveta get the "California" cheese slices from CostCo (or Lakeside Express). You have to buy a lot, but they are so good, you'll be using them a lot. Link: http://lakesideexpress.com/costco/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_75_76&products_id=1104
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:59 am

HelperGuy wrote:Yay! Swear to god, you haveta get the "California" cheese slices from CostCo (or Lakeside Express). You have to buy a lot, but they are so good, you'll be using them a lot. Link: http://lakesideexpress.com/costco/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_75_76&products_id=1104

Heading to Guadalajara tomorrow.

Oh yeah baby. Harvey's watch your rear.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:15 pm

HelperGuy wrote:
We'd never purchased frozen patties before,but because I know you're a foodie your we tried them on your recommendation,they were very good and so easy,thanks Helper Guy!

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 pm

[quote="viajero"]
HelperGuy wrote:
We'd never purchased frozen patties before,but because I know you're a foodie your we tried them on your recommendation,they were very good and so easy,thanks Helper Guy![/quote]

Of course, "frozen patties" are easy to come by in Canada. One merely needs to walk the fresh patties home in a grocery bag two blocks from the nearest super market and they are already frozen solid by the time one gets there. Back in Alabama in the summer (April to late October) , we had to keep the meat patties (usually ground mule shank or possum road kill) cool tucked into a six pack of ice cold Pabst Blue Riibbon or RC Cola if we lived more than 100 yards from the nearest Piggly Wiggly. If the meat turned green before we got home, Old Blue had a feast and we simply opened that super king sized bag of Walmart Moon Pies on special which. with the RC Colas, could feed a family of ten for a week as long as there were some collards on hand for nutritional variety.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Well Dawg you just hit the nail on the head, however we Northerners, do have a summer, albeit a very short one. One might consider June and July summer, by August it starts to get cold again. Not just hot either, but on the great lakes it's REALLY hot and humid. We have taken to referring to summer as those months of hell. Black flies as big as a chihuahua. I kid you not, o.k. perhaps just a tiny exaggeration.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Yay! Swear to god, you haveta get the "California" cheese slices from CostCo (or Lakeside Express). You have to buy a lot, but they are so good, you'll be using them a lot. Link: http://lakesideexpress.com/costco/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_75_76&products_id=1104

Another winner! Just like the old Kraft we grew up on.

Thanks again.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next