INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally - a Great Cheeseburger at Lakeside

+22
Carry Bean
Big Daddy Mexico
Zedinmexico
Axixic
Ms.Thang
hound dog
slainte39
Rosa Venus
Viajero-Tiempo
ferret
CheenaGringo
gringal
Smartalex
viajero
E-raq
ComputerGuy
seisdedos
johninajijic
Ms Mac
Uncle Jack
SunsetKid
brigitte
26 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Finally - a Great Cheeseburger at Lakeside - Page 5 Empty Re: Finally - a Great Cheeseburger at Lakeside

Post by E-raq Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Yay! Swear to god, you haveta get the "California" cheese slices from CostCo (or Lakeside Express). You have to buy a lot, but they are so good, you'll be using them a lot. Link: http://lakesideexpress.com/costco/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_75_76&products_id=1104

Another winner! Just like the old Kraft we grew up on.

Thanks again.

E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Finally - a Great Cheeseburger at Lakeside - Page 5 Empty Re: Finally - a Great Cheeseburger at Lakeside

Post by Uncle Jack Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Grilled cheese samiches....yes, sir!

uj
Uncle Jack
Uncle Jack
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twisted and Bizarre

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:34 pm

With bread and butter pickles. Yummm!

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Uncle Jack wrote:Grilled cheese samiches....yes, sir!

uj

How about grilled cheese and tomato. Just the other night we had grilled cheese using Gouda cheese. Delicious.

We usually have bread and butter pickles with it too. Last time I bought Mt. Olive Bread and Butter pickles, they were great. Couldn't find them in SL today.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:37 pm

joec wrote:
Uncle Jack wrote:Grilled cheese samiches....yes, sir!

uj

How about grilled cheese and tomato. Just the other night we had grilled cheese using Gouda cheese. Delicious.

We usually have bread and butter pickles with it too. Last time I bought Mt. Olive Bread and Butter pickles, they were great. Couldn't find them in SL today.

Welcome back John...errrr, excuse me, Joe.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:38 pm

... I've always enjoyed a giant dill with my grilled cheese.... and SL does have big bottles of those. From Mt. Olive. They had bigger bottles before; don't know what's changed.

I'm glad the cheese slices are a hit. They really are good.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Jack Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:26 pm

How about grilled cheese, tomato, and bacon ?

uj

Pickles are up to you.
Uncle Jack
Uncle Jack
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Personally, I really like peanut butter and cheese sandwiches. Have even tried them grilled but one definitely needs a cerveza with ice when consuming a grilled one! Pickles are good too.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:38 pm

This conversation is WAY more fun than cursing and bitching about politics...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Jack Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:52 pm

Anything is "WAY more fun than cursing and bitching about politics..."

uj
Uncle Jack
Uncle Jack
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:59 pm

Bread and butter pickles are ridiculously easy to make at home. I do a couple of batches a year. Dills are another matter.

BTW, be sure and use Bimbo white for the grilled cheese sammiches. Whole wheat isn't nearly as good.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:09 pm

E-raq wrote:Bread and butter pickles are ridiculously easy to make at home. I do a couple of batches a year. Dills are another matter.

BTW, be sure and use Bimbo white for the grilled cheese sammiches. Whole wheat isn't nearly as good.

NAW. Bimbo White is to keep your grandkids occupied rolling it into balls and throwing it at each other.
For a great grilled cheese sammich, get some good fresh sourdough white and do the job. With this, a sweet pickle and a side of 'tater salad.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Jack Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Grilled cheese gotta be made with Bimbo bread....no doubt bout it.

uj
Uncle Jack
Uncle Jack
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:27 am

Arguing over Bimbo bread is better than politics? lol! lol! lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Jack Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:15 am

There' certainly more substance.

uj
Uncle Jack
Uncle Jack
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:00 am

To each his own Gringal. I'm with Uncle Jack here. Bimbo is it. The grandkids love it, and I have to admit that I still love quite a bit of kid food, such as Rice Krispy squares. Cheez Whiz, and peanut butter and jam sammiches also on Bimbo.
Actually the grandkids have kinda dropped some of these things now, but I got used to them again when they were little.

Kids rolling things up. Marshmallows are for that. Keeps them really busy smooshing and twirling that yummy gooey marshmallow mess for at least half an hour ( it is an art form). Another 15 minutes for finger licking, and you can have a bit of peace and quiet.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:23 am

" BTW, be sure and use Bimbo white for the grilled cheese sammiches. Whole wheat isn't nearly as good."

You´re keeping good company there, E-raq. Julia Child was famous for asserting that there were certain types of sandwiches that could only be made successfully with what Americans call "reglar" bread. She especially felt that type of sandwich bread was essential for a great BLT during the height of tomato season when making the BLT with vine-ripened beefsteak tomatoes or heirlooms at their best.

Personally, I found "reglar" bread to be most useful for mashing into those small "spitballs" mentioned earlier but this type of bread made a great BLT without question.

When we first arrived at Lakeside there was a memorable billboard near the Guadalajara airport that read (in Spanish of, course), "Welcome to Guadalajara, BIMBO"
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by DonPito Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:52 am

In the old days, we couldn't afford much meat or dem fancy cheeses, so it was always Velveeta. 3 minutes in the skillet, and the Wonder bread would be nicely browned and that good old Velveeta would be oozing out the sides to mop up from the plate with your fingers.

When we'd get bored wit dat, we'd switch over to grilled peanut butter and banana sammiches. Slathered thick with Skippy, and then overloaded with slices from bananas that none of my little brothers would eat plain because they wuz getting spotty brown, and sweet.

DonPito
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:02 am

We make our grilled cheese and BLT samdwiches with Bimbo Wheat bread. The Bimbo White reminds me of Wonder bread crap in the States. I'm sure lots of people use Velveeta in the US for grilled cheese and baked macaroni, but at 219 pesos for the big block in SL. forget it. We use Kraft American slices. I like Kraft Manchengo or Gouda.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:32 am

If you like plastic they are great plastic cheeses and I guess if you are a gourmet you must have bimbo wheat with them !

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:44 am

A Great Cheeseburger at Lakeside. Buy your favorite hamburg at your favorite meat market, make your own unto whatever size you like (I prefer at least 3/8 of an inch thick) and cook em the way you like with your favorite cheese on a bun.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:11 pm

joec wrote:We make our grilled cheese and BLT samdwiches with Bimbo Wheat bread. The Bimbo White reminds me of Wonder bread crap in the States. I'm sure lots of people use Velveeta in the US for grilled cheese and baked macaroni, but at 219 pesos for the big block in SL. forget it. We use Kraft American slices. I like Kraft Manchengo or Gouda.

Awfully sorry, but the real deal just doesn't taste right on Bimbo whole wheat. The real deal also includes this new find, California cheese slices, only available at Costco.

I guess you didn't realize that Bimbo owns Wonderbread, and is now the largest bread company in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grupo_Bimbo

@Dawg, those Bimbo signs were awfully popular with the male set for some years. Especially prized were the ones that proclaimed BIMBO aqui. These were proudly hung in their bars up north much to the disgust of their wives.

Last edited by E-raq on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling and bad eyes.)
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:15 pm

joec wrote:A Great Cheeseburger at Lakeside. Buy your favorite hamburg at your favorite meat market, make your own unto whatever size you like (I prefer at least 3/8 of an inch thick) and cook em the way you like with your favorite cheese on a bun.

So sorry to burst yet another bubble. Buy the premade arrachera patties, they come in two sizes, slap 'em on the barbeque add the California cheese slices and toppings of your choice.
Face the facts here, when something is so good that it's sinful, you cannot improve upon it. Any attempt will end in abject failure.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm on the White Bread side. As pointed out, some sammiches are just not right on anything else. (This is probably because when I was a kid, "brown" bread was for weirdos...)

Turkey leftover sandwiches are also spectacular on white bread at 1am after everyone else has gone to bed and I'm up watching old Scrooge movies.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Jack Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:01 pm

....lots of mayonaise and cranberry sauce and a big glass of milk.

uj
Uncle Jack
Uncle Jack
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Uncle Jack wrote:....lots of mayonaise and cranberry sauce and a big glass of milk.

uj

Or, tons of leftover gravy. Hot turkey, on white, naturally.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next