INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burglaries in Las Salvias and Rancho Del Oro

+23
MexicoPete
brigitte
Carry Bean
kipissippi
Chapalagringa
viajero
gringal
Jim W
Zedinmexico
CanuckBob
hound dog
juanrey
Rosa Venus
slainte39
TexMex
CheenaGringo
joec
bennie#2
simpsca
Lake Chapala Crime
ComputerGuy
E-raq
David
27 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Burglaries in Las Salvias and Rancho Del Oro - Page 2 Empty Re: Burglaries in Las Salvias and Rancho Del Oro

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:49 pm

I was at a party last night in Las Salvias and yes, the people throwing the party had been burglarized recently. One of the hosts pointed to someone else at the party who lives in the same neighborhood, or very nearby, and said that they had been burglarized twice in the last month. So, yes. Heads up and Happy December.

Last edited by Rosa Venus on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Burglaries in Las Salvias and Rancho Del Oro - Page 2 Empty Re: Burglaries in Las Salvias and Rancho Del Oro

Post by TexMex Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:53 pm

joec wrote:
TexMex wrote:The number of robberies reported in Chula Vista is correct. Although they have occurred in both lower and upper, most have occurred in upper. It has only one road in and out, easy enough to see when residents are leaving and when they are returning. Not so easy to monitor residents coming and going when there are multiple entrances.

Why don't all you neighbors who have been robbed and those who haven't sign a petition to have your Board of Directors call a meeting to discuss security measures in detail and what can be done. It is the Board Members responsibility to help you, but ultimately, it is YOUR responsibility to secure your own house. Neighborhood watch signs can be good too, posted in obvious places around the Community.

With one road in/out, it's easy to stop this BS. Put up a guard shack, hire a security company even if only for 12 hours at night and the guard takes names, vehicle identification and plate numbers. It's worth spending a few more bucks a month on top of your HOA fee for peace of mind.

We wouldn't put up with one burglary in Los Arroyos Sur before the Board of Directors did something about it.

Chula Vista had extensive meetings earlier this year about security, various proposals were made. The two problems were most of the crime at the time was occurring in Upper so the Lower residents were not supportive, wouldn't even agree to Upper installing a 24 hour monitored guard shack at the one Upper entrance at the expense of only the Upper residents, also there is some "governmental" problem with "blocking" access to the street (it's considered a public road) even though the street goes nowhere but the neighborhood. Those who have been here a few years probably remember the Chula Vista Board problems and members having other members put in jail. So glad we are only renters!
TexMex
TexMex

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:59 pm

e raq, if you are in a high end developement, you should have an armed guard. many years ago the guard in upper chula vista was shot. (or shot at). then they robbed 2 homes.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:06 pm

btw, robberies have risen in guad. my friend heard someone in her garage on a saturday @ 2PM. she was home w/visitors, car was there. she went downstairs & the man fled. (he broke in garage & was trying to get into apt). they called police, but they couldnt find the criminal. another house was broken into & thousands of pesos were taken as the owners had a business & brought the cash home that night. they entered w/a gun, fast job. all victims are mexicans.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:33 pm

bennie#2 wrote: guards must be armed for full protection.no onewill risk their life if held up in the guard booth. but any protection is better than nothing.

Seriously? You want a guard who makes $ 100 / wk USD to carry a gun?
Guards at gated communities are deterrents, the same as the gates are.

Need we go back to the prior threads and revisit having all gringos arm themselves?
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:23 pm

[quote="joec"]
TexMex wrote:The number of robberies reported in Chula Vista is correct. Although they have occurred in both lower and upper, most have occurred in upper. It has only one road in and out, easy enough to see when residents are leaving and when they are returning. Not so easy to monitor residents coming and going when there are multiple entrances.

Why don't all you neighbors who have been robbed and those who haven't sign a petition to have your Board of Directors call a meeting to discuss security measures in detail and what can be done. It is the Board Members responsibility to help you, but ultimately, it is YOUR responsibility to secure your own house. Neighborhood watch signs can be good too, posted in obvious places around the Community.

With one road in/out, it's easy to stop this BS. Put up a guard shack, hire a security company even if only for 12 hours at night and the guard takes names, vehicle identification and plate numbers. It's worth spending a few more bucks a month on top of your HOA fee for peace of mind.

We wouldn't put up with one burglary in Los Arroyos Sur before the Board of Directors did something about it.[/quote]

I thank God we did not purchase a home in some extranjero gated community like Arroyos Sur in 2001 at about the same time Joec bought in that insular dead zone to put up with opinionated morons lecturing to us as to how to protect ourselves who then race away from responsibility when something goes wrong. Just like that poor woman mayor in Guerrero who was recently assassinated when she "got in front" of her local police guard who couldn´t keep up with her (sounds of raucous laughter). If these f*ckers want to kill you in Mexico or steal your stuff you are dead or bereft of those possessions. 37 cops were "protecting" this woman and she was slaughtered in front of them as they looked the other way. The Arroyo Del Sur Board of Directors my ass. These guys will take you and that snotty board of directors out in five minutes and never look back nor get punished for having done so. Wake up, John.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Well IMO any house can be secured so as it would take a bazooka to break in. It may require some rather thick bars and big steel doors but it can certainly be done for minimal cost.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:28 pm

juanrey, a guard will feel more protected if he has a gun. the people in the developement can also give him tips. if he hears someone coming over the wall like 3am, he can shoot in the air. are you now afraid of the guard? what does his salary have to do w/being armed? also, no strange cars or trucks should be allowed to enter. the guard has to telephone the house. or the people have to leave word that a friend or maid is coming if they are not home. it is nota good idea to have any worker or maid in house while unattended. i know you dont agree, but lets stay on topic.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Why not buy yourself an airgun and shoot that into the air at 3 a.m. ? A tip from a Mexican friend. Legal, non lethal and effective. Santa is giving me one for Christmas. Very Happy
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 pm

why dont you just give your guards air guns?

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:16 pm

bennie#2 wrote:why dont you just give your guards air guns?

Excuse me, why should I do that? Are they in my house? I think not.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 am

bennie#2 wrote:e raq, if you are in a high end developement, you should have an armed guard. many years ago the guard in upper chula vista was shot. (or shot at). then they robbed 2 homes.

If you lived in a Community and wanted protection via an armed guard, by a Homeowners vote, you would find that no one except those that are paranoid want an armed guard. It is totally unecessary and some innocent person could be shot to death.

Here's some suggestions to those afraid of being robbed:
Buy a taser and an extra battery pack or two tasers, one for you, one for your spouse

Buy a gun, learn how to use it properly and KNOW that you must shoot the perp inside your house.

If too paranoid, move back NOB where more crime exists

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:28 am

CanuckBob wrote:Well IMO any house can be secured so as it would take a bazooka to break in. It may require some rather thick bars and big steel doors but it can certainly be done for minimal cost.

You're correct Bob and NONE of these posters has mentioned unbreakable glass for windows and skylights. I know one couple here who has a fortress that no ordinary unprofessional or professional burglar can get into.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:34 am

bennie#2 wrote:juanrey, a guard will feel more protected if he has a gun. the people in the developement can also give him tips. if he hears someone coming over the wall like 3am, he can shoot in the air. are you now afraid of the guard? what does his salary have to do w/being armed? also, no strange cars or trucks should be allowed to enter. the guard has to telephone the house. or the people have to leave word that a friend or maid is coming if they are not home. it is nota good idea to have any worker or maid in house while unattended. i know you dont agree, but lets stay on topic.

Guard services will NOT allow their workers to have guns. Even if they did for $ 1,000 pesos a week the guard will run the other way. No one is going to get into a gunfight for any amount of money except some mach moron with no brains.

Everyone has maids in the house while unattended. Further, I only do business with two honest contractors whose workers can be left alone. Trust is something that is earned. Never anything missing in 11 years.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:25 am

most crimes are inside jobs. no one sees my valubles, no one works w/out me there. my room is locked. & im not from a crime ridden area in the usa. never ever had these conversations there. about "armed" guards, many people have them in mexico & south america. the guard is safer too. if you want a gun for yourself, thats fine too.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 am

Breakins are a crime of opportunity. Burglars and robbers will go for the easiest, quickest target and not waste their time going after houses that will require a lengthy time requirement for breaking into. (most of the time, not always) With that said, CBob is correct, you can put enough deterrents in place to make most bad guys keep looking for an easier target.
That was my point on gated communities, the guard at the gate and the gates themselves serve as a deterrent to bad guys. There are additional impediments that they have to overcome.
There's been so many posts on this and TOB about how to protect your house.
Burglar bars, razor wire, camera systems, alarms, dead bolt locks, not following the same daily patterns, know your contractors & hired help, the list goes on.
Usually when someone posts of a new breakin they identify what they forgot and it provides a tip for the others on what they might be overlooking.
Make a checklist, and establish disciplines that force you to protect yourself with deterrents and impediments. That is the same no matter where you live.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lake Chapala Crime Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:22 am

juanrey wrote:Breakins are a crime of opportunity. Burglars and robbers will go for the easiest, quickest target and not waste their time going after houses that will require a lengthy time requirement for breaking into. (most of the time, not always) With that said, CBob is correct, you can put enough deterrents in place to make most bad guys keep looking for an easier target.
That was my point on gated communities, the guard at the gate and the gates themselves serve as a deterrent to bad guys. There are additional impediments that they have to overcome.
There's been so many posts on this and TOB about how to protect your house.
Burglar bars, razor wire, camera systems, alarms, dead bolt locks, not following the same daily patterns, know your contractors & hired help, the list goes on.
Usually when someone posts of a new breakin they identify what they forgot and it provides a tip for the others on what they might be overlooking.
Make a checklist, and establish disciplines that force you to protect yourself with deterrents and impediments. That is the same no matter where you live.
And I would suggest you take it one step further - ask a knowledgeable neighbor over and ask him what he would do to break into your house. He may come up with something you never thought of. When I did this, I watched in amazement as someone was actually able to climb over my garage gate without much effort.

Lake Chapala Crime

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:22 am

Live with the Mexicans. Nothing is touched in our neighborhood. Other than late
at night someone is hanging on the street. I am not saying bad things don't happen
they do, just not here too often. Too many gringoes in a neighborhood
and it gets too quiet and problems. Just the right balance of gringoes to Mexicans
makes a perfect neighborhood for me. Offer to clean up the street daily with the
mexican grandma's. Buy a soccer ball for the kids in the neighborhood. Trust me
they notice that you care and they will watch out for you. Open up your pool
when it gets real hot for the local kids in May. They come through the door looking
at the pool like you just took them to Disneyland. Help the Mexicans with there
english and they will help you with your spanish. In my opinion the neighborhood
and your relationship is a big part of security as much as bars and physical things.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:00 am

Very good advice Zed.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:07 am

I have friends who were broken into by three young people who had guns. They shot at the couple three times. I have seen the bullet holes and the video tape. He happened to have a gun and shot back. They ran like hell and got nothing of any interest.

So anyone who says you don't need some armed protection is living in lala land. You do, the Mexicans have it, and the cost per month for an armed guard with all permits is 20,000 pesos.

Our neighborhood is roughly 70% Mexican. They get robbed at about the same rate we do.

Things have also changed up north, with formerly safe areas in Toronto now experiencing armed robberies in broad daylight.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:32 am

bennie#2 wrote:most crimes are inside jobs. no one sees my valubles, no one works w/out me there. my room is locked. & im not from a crime ridden area in the usa. never ever had these conversations there. about "armed" guards, many people have them in mexico & south america. the guard is safer too. if you want a gun for yourself, thats fine too.

No one sees our valuables either and if they did break into our house they would waste their time, no jewelry, no cell phones and no laptop. If they took our 10 y/o DVD player they can have it. Nothing to take from two paupers in Ajijic. LOL.

Don't need conversations about armed guards, guards in general, etc. Go back NOB where there is more than petty crime.

E Raq - Disagree. Only STUPID people fire back at armed gunmen. Smart people leave the house while being robbed. What is your life worth over a few trinkets? Only STUPID people hire armed guards. Someone innocent people will get killed accidentally and what are you going to do then? Sue them, yeah right. LOL.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:54 am

One of the best "personal protection" devices I have seen lately is some guy selling paint ball guns with rubber balls. These babies can hold and fire several hundred rounds with a proper air tank and ammo hopper. While not normally lethal I can assure you the perp won't be sticking around when you put a few at his head. It will feel like a ball peen hammer. The regular bursting paintballs leave a very nasty welt so I can only imagine what the hard rubber balls will do. They are also very quiet and accurate.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:00 am

joec wrote:
bennie#2 wrote:most crimes are inside jobs. no one sees my valubles, no one works w/out me there. my room is locked. & im not from a crime ridden area in the usa. never ever had these conversations there. about "armed" guards, many people have them in mexico & south america. the guard is safer too. if you want a gun for yourself, thats fine too.

No one sees our valuables either and if they did break into our house they would waste their time, no jewelry, no cell phones and no laptop. If they took our 10 y/o DVD player they can have it. Nothing to take from two paupers in Ajijic. LOL.

Don't need conversations about armed guards, guards in general, etc. Go back NOB where there is more than petty crime.

E Raq - Disagree. Only STUPID people fire back at armed gunmen. Smart people leave the house while being robbed. What is your life worth over a few trinkets? Only STUPID people hire armed guards. Someone innocent people will get killed accidentally and what are you going to do then? Sue them, yeah right. LOL.

Sadly if the couple had done that they would have been dead John. The guards were not armed and were afraid to come up the hill. Point made. Checkmate.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 am

An acquaintance of mine was the victim of a break in one night.....he keeps a can of wasp spray on his night stand, sprayed the perp in the face and blinded the guy, then held him till police arrived.......probably not the best solution, but, in this case proved effective.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 am

Have to agree with you John...i.e. physical harm or death vs. the loss of baubles.
Most thieves, break-in artists, hold up criminals,here, are not serial or mass murderers like they have NOB.
What E-raq describes is anecdotal evidence of a successful gun battle that could have went the other way (bad), just as easy.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:30 am

CanuckBob wrote:One of the best "personal protection" devices I have seen lately is some guy selling paint ball guns with rubber balls. These babies can hold and fire several hundred rounds with a proper air tank and ammo hopper. While not normally lethal I can assure you the perp won't be sticking around when you put a few at his head. It will feel like a ball peen hammer. The regular bursting paintballs leave a very nasty welt so I can only imagine what the hard rubber balls will do. They are also very quiet and accurate.

That would be a good idea, if in fact it is legal. It would be of no use if the guy had a firearm.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next